on November 1, 2010
This is a great mouse for reasons all stated in other reviews. However, some complaints I've seen about this mouse in other websites come from people who have not read the manual and missed some features this mouse offers that address their complaints.

You don't know what to do with the receiver when transporting your laptop?
First, the mouse does have a compartment for the receiver. The receiver is tiny already, so most people will just leave it inserted in their laptops during transport. However if you wish to store it with the mouse, you can do so. It does not require you to take out the batteries themselves to store the receiver, but you do have to take the battery cover off to access the compartment.

The mouse is too heavy for you?
The most awesome and rarely mentioned feature about the mouse is the ability to modify its weight and center of gravity by only using one AA battery instead of two. The reason this is so cool is because it gives you an option to lower the weight of the mouse if you think it is too heavy with 2 batteries (I thought so). You can also to change the way the weight feels in your hand by placing the battery in the slot closest to the center of the mouse or closer to the back of the mouse. Some people prefer the weight of the mouse to be on the back while others prefer it to be more centered. I left mine in the center.

How does it work with just one battery?
If you notice, the two batteries in its compartment are used in parallel (both installed looking the same way), instead of 'in series' like most electronics do (going the opposite way). The mouse works on 1.5 volts instead of 3.0 volts like the usual 2 AA battery equipment would. This is what permits the 3 year battery time. Of course, using one battery means it will probably only last about half the time as using two. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't have much knowledge regarding the efficiency of using two instead of one battery.

How does this compare to other logitech mice in size and weight?
I use a wired Logitech G9 Laser Mouse for my desktop pc, which weights 122 grams with no additional optional weights inside. I just add 4 grams of weight for my preferences. In comparison the Marathon M705 weighs 88 grams without batteries. With one battery it weighs 112 grams and 136 grams with two. The batteries it comes with weigh 24 grams each (other brands of batteries might have a different weight). So, with two batteries this mouse is heavier than a G9 even though it is slightly shorter lengthwise and slightly thinner as well. The M705 is about 4.5 inches long, 2.8 inches wide, and 1.5 inches tall.

As a G9 user, this was the closest feel I could find in a wireless mouse. All other ones either felt too big forcing you to place your entire palm on them and disallow an optional claw grip or felt not wide enough for my hands. I enjoy the width of the G9, and even though the M705 is not as wide and connecting with as much of my palm as I would want it, it does not make my hand cramp up as most other narrower portable mice and I can use it for games without feeling like I'm using a non-full-featured mouse. It is the perfect blend of portable and full sized featured mouse.

My only gripes:
The DPI on the mouse cannot be modified. This is understandable as it is not a gaming mouse. When compared to the G9, it seems that is it is permanently set at 1000 dpi. Another problem is that it has negative acceleration. This means that when you move it fast from side to side, it registers less movement the faster you move it. This only occurs at high speed movements, such as doing a quick turn on a first person shooter game. Again, I don't detract from the rating of the mouse, because it is not meant for gaming, but I thought I would include this in the review as some people might want this information.

Edit: I'm adding an image of the M705 vs G9 to the product page so you can judge the size difference. I looked for this online but it seems not too many G9 owners have yet bought this mouse since it hasn't been out for very long.
review image review image
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2010
I've used countless mice over the years. I've finally found the perfect mouse and this is it. I have large hands and my thumb has started to hurt a lot because my old mouse is too small and I have had to hold it using a claw grip. I went to Best Buy and tried out the different mice. For me, it came down to the Marathon versus the MX Performance. The Performance is a bit bigger and has a more sculpted area to rest your thumb which is a big plus in my book. It felt very comfortable in my hand. The Marathon is a bit smaller (though it is still quite heavy, which I like) and the thumb rest area is not nearly as pronounced or sculpted as the Performance. On the other hand, the Marathon has a THREE YEAR battery life! The Performance needs to be recharged every 30 days. Having to go through a bunch of batteries (or constantly recharge) is why I have stayed away from wireless mice all these years. But the Marathon took that excuse away.

I couldn't be happier. This is, hands down, the best mouse I have ever used.

It feels well made, not cheap and plasticky. It weighs quite a bit and feels substantial and sturdy.

The wireless reception is flawless. I have my USB receiver plugged into the bottom of a Dell monitor and the mouse is about 5 feet away and on a keyboard tray that is below the desk. The signal has to travel through a notebook computer. No problem. I don't play video games so I'm not that picky about lag, but I don't notice any lag in this mouse for my needs.

The unifying USB receiver is a great idea. I have both a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse sharing a single unifying USB receiver, which is tiny by the way. That frees up a USB port on my notebook.

The mousewheel is well-made. You can click a button just beneath the wheel to turn on click wheel mode or spin-free mode. The button is easy to access and feels sturdy. The spin-free mode is excellent for zipping though long documents and web pages.

This mouse is a perfect 10 out of 10 in my book. It's the first mouse I can say that about.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2012
I've owned about 8-10 Logitech mice over the years, starting with their corded ball mouse, the last one in line being the M705. Well, I can tell you one thing for certain about Logitech - their quality has certainly degraded since the time I first started using them. This one & the 2 prior models before it, all died on me within a 1.5 year period of average use. Each time the problem was the same - the left click button would malfunction first and double click for each single click. This is followed by the right click button which too starts behaving erratically (provided you are still putting up with the left double click nonsense). A quick Google search will reveal that this is a problem that affects all Logitech mice since they all use the same rubbish MORON... sorry, OMRON micro-switches. These switches have a fundamentally flawed design which uses a crappy leaf spring & this is a well documented fact if you care to search around. You can of course take it apart & do a temp fix, but I can assure you the problem will return shortly. Otherwise an excellent mouse... such a terrible shame! My suggestion - look elsewhere (Microsoft would've been my fist choice were it not for their lack of customizable buttons).
PS: Food for thought - is this on purpose (for the obvious reason)???!.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2013
I've bought two of these mice because I love the control layout with the thumb buttons for forward and backwards and the programmable lower button. What I've not liked is that they eventually start double clicking on the most commonly used buttons. That's why I've bought two of them.

My second mouse had just started doing the double click thing and I was just about to start searching for a new non-Logitech and maybe non wireless mouse due to the repeated problem. Fortunately I searched the web and found ridiculously simple resolution to the double click problem:
[...] (bottom of page 1 if it doesn't link directly to the post with the solution)

Worked like a charm! Now I need to point out that I live in CO and the weather is extremely dry year round so this might be more of a climatic problem than a universal but worth trying if you start having the double click problem. I give the mouse 4 stars since it's a great mouse but seems ridiculous that I'd have to do the static discharge fix every so often on it in the first place.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2014
After owning for a few months it does not work properly. Called Logitech for replacement per their warranty. Logitech answer was that Amazon is not an authorized seller so the warranty will not be honored. One of the biggest online stores and they sell many types of LOGITECH? What kind of idiots do they think we are. But something else unless you want to pay this for only a few months use. Logitech needs to answer this or we as consumers need to quit purchasing
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2010
I was in a market for a good wireless mouse that I can use with my laptop, HTPC, and desktop at the same time. I looked at the Anywhere MX and Performance MX with Logitech's dark field technology, but realized that I don't have the need for using my mouse on glass. Moreover, the Anywhere MX is too small and gets uncomfortable (I never liked ambidextrous designs). The Performance MX is overpriced, too large, and eats through battery. This however, is very reasonably priced and offers all features that the other two offer (sans the darkfield laser) with a hard-to-believe battery life. I have been using this day-in day-out for about a month now and the battery meter still shows a 100% life. The buttons are highly configurable (with the setpoint software) and you can create custom button assignments for individual applications. For instance the same button can do two different things depending on whether you have a media player open, or an internet browser open---overall this mouse has 6 configurable buttons which is more than enough for anyone. You can change the weight, and weight distribution of the mouse by removing one of the batteries (yes, the mouse can run on one or two batteries)---this is the main selling point that won me over. Surprisingly I find the ergonomics of this mouse to be much better than even the performance MX . The hyper scroll, as usual, is amazing to have. The unifying receiver is also a plus, but the number of products that use this receiver are still limited. I bought two additional receivers with this mouse so that I can migrate between my three computers, which is a snitch. This mouse has no cons. It's supermouse!!!
on June 14, 2013
I am now about to throw out my second M705 and have decided to leave a review.

My first M705 - lasted about 8 months until I started getting the horrendous "double-click" issue. The mouse, instead of single clicking, double clicks. Thus for example if I try to pause a video, it clicks once to pause, and then again to resume--thus nothing changes. There is a software published by a 3rd party that corrects the issue, but why do we not have an official logitech solution?

Now then, replacing my M705 was pain free--called Logitech and had a new one sent out the same week.

My second M705 - This one lasted for about 10 months and I am now in the beginning stages of the double click issue again. I mean--come on.

On the mouse itself, it's great--the wheel is awesome and the tracking is fine. Feels comfortable in my hand.

It just won't last past 1 year.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2013
I have purchased two M705 over the past year. Out of the box they work well. Then, after about 3-6 months both began experiencing double-click issues. Every click was registered as a double. This made it impossible to copy and paste or to even select text. The Internet suggests that the mouse should be disassembled, the contacts carefully cleaned, and a certain part be re-bent into position. REALLY?

If this product is under-engineered, or cheap parts used in its construction, or made to fail in some misguided attempt to sell more product, I do not know. However, I will never purchase another Logitech product. My experience with my two Logitech mice has been most frustrating.

If anyone is in the market for a mouse and decides to try the Logitech M705, they may expect good performance for a few months, followed by issues which make the mouse unusable within 3-6 months.
on September 15, 2013
This mouse tracks poorly on most surfaces.
I use it with a laptop, if I use the silver painted flat beside the trackpad, the mouse tracks very well. On notebook paper, newspaper, cloth, plastic, etc. it tracks very poorly moving a fraction of the distance intended. You can use it with multiple mouse sweeps, it moves an inch to maybe 1/5 of the way across the screen with each sweep but the amount of movement varies. Used on carpet, it tracks well. I've tried most of the poor tracking fixes I've seen on the Internet including stick on pads on one side to change the angle of the mouse/surface. I didn't have good luck doing this.
I have a number of Logitech mice. All the others work well. This one, though, just doesn't track well on most surfaces.

I did get it fixed though. There are 5 screws that hold the mouse together, one hidden under the large front pad and two hidden under the battery compartment sticker. Remove all 5 and the mouse can be disassembled.

Looking at the assembly, the optical sensor unit, a 1/2" square brown board on the right side of the circuit board was mounted in a tilted position. It appears that the plastic retaining clips force brown board to tilt downward in the front instead of sitting level. If the front plastic clip is disengaged, you can rotate the brown board so it is level when compared to the tilt of the main green circuit board. Once the brown board is leveled, the mouse tracks very well on most surfaces tested.

So... Great mouse, design or manufacture flaw in sensor retaining clip interfering with function. Do it yourselfers will be able to make this mouse function as it should. Others should probably avoid it and go with one of Logitech's other excellent choices.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2011
This is a great mouse for the reasons i will list. For example the usb is tiny which is useful because you can just put it inside the mouse. You can also customize all the buttons. It also fits your hand perfectly with its unique design. It comes with batteries and i had this mouse now for two years i think and the battery is still more than half full.It's easy to switch on and off but in case you forget to turn it off it goes into a standby-like mode which basically means it doesn't lose any battery. The scroll is easy and overall it has 9 buttons including left and right click. You can change the sensitivity to a variety of choices. The only thing that's weird is there's a little dent where your thumb would be but there's a button there so that might be becauuse i use that for go to desktop. it works all around my house. It's a very comfortable mouse.
Overall this mouse is amazing. Buy this and you won't have to buy a mouse for years.