2,903 Reviews
 (1,559)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reluctantly Switched From Bluetooth
I was very resistant to buy this mouse because I have only bought Bluetooth mice since 2002. But mouse manufacturers are clueless to our needs and so I was forced to switch.

And man am I glad I did.

Published on August 29, 2009 by Homeschool Mom | Web Developer Dad

963 of 1,047 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Significant downgrade from prior flagship, MX Revolution
Published on November 19, 2009 by Erik Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Reluctantly Switched From Bluetooth, August 29, 2009
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac (Personal Computers)

And man am I glad I did.

This mouse is worth it to overlook the ultra-tiny receiver. It is oh so smooth and uncommonly comfortable. I bought the Microsoft mouse about three weeks ago and my forearm and hand have been aching ever since. It was the first non-ergonomic mouse, designed to be symmetrical for both right and left handed users, that I have used in many years and using it was downright painful. I also have the Apple mouse which suffers from the same design flaw. The Performance MX, by comparison, puts very little strain on my hand and arm, and the groove where my thumb sits not only feels terrific, it also provides greater control.

I will never buy a symmetrical mouse again.

The kit that comes with it is smart and useful. The recharging cable is Micro-USB so when the mouse battery dies, you just plug one end into your mouse and the other into your computer, and use it like a corded mouse while it charges. Also, it comes with a Wall-to-USB adapter so you can charge the mouse in the wall if you don't have an extra USB slot available. This means I can still use the mouse while it is charging from the computer or the wall. Very handy! My previous mice had charging stands and if the battery died, I couldn't use them again until they charged. Logitech also included a USB extension cable to help desktop users reposition the USB receiver and a handy little bag to hold the power plug and cords for us notebook users. All in all, a very thoughtful kit!

I am using this with a MacBook Pro and it had 3-button functionality right out of the gate without installing drivers. The USB receiver itself is very small. It's even smaller than the magsafe power adapter head. Time will tell if I can safely keep it in the notebook while I place the computer in and out of it's neoprene sleeve, but I don't anticipate this being a problem.

Do I wish this was a bluetooth mouse? Absolutely. But it is more comfortable than any Bluetooth mouse on the market, it moves the pointer with more fluidity, smoothness, and accuracy than any Bluetooth mouse on the market, and as much as I have enjoyed not dealing with receivers over the past 7 years... the total package provided by this mouse more than makes up for the fact that it isn't Bluetooth.

I highly recommend it.

! -- UPDATE -- !

OK... 3 years later and I still use this mouse. I own 3 of them! One for my work desk. One for my home desk. And one for my computer bag. I own a MacBook Pro with Retina. The receiver never leaves the USB port and I never notice it, even though I'm throwing my computer in and out of my bag multiple times a day. Still great!

963 of 1,047 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Significant downgrade from prior flagship, MX Revolution, November 19, 2009
Erik Harris (Fairfax Station, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great mouse for anyone who hasn't used Logitech's prior flagship mouse, the MX Revolution. This is its replacement, offered at the same price as the now-discontinued revolution. Unfortunately, while there are some nice enhancements, it's an overall downgrade, disappointing many users of the MX Revolution, myself included (there were over 100 complaints on Logitech's announcement blog before they locked the post down, disallowing further comment).

First, the good:
- The new sensor allows you to use the mouse on any surface, including glass. They're promoting this like crazy, but it seems like it's not really a big deal (hard mouse on hard glass is a recipe for scratches on one or both, if any grit gets between them, so I don't see myself wanting to use it on glass). This new sensor should mean better tracking on all surfaces, though, which is great.
- The new thumb button underneath the rubber is really cool, and very convenient to use.
- The DPI can be changed on the fly if you use the software that the mouse ships with.
- The accessories are very nice - a travel case, a USB charge cord and a USB-to-outlet-power adapter (which presumably can be used with any USB-charging device), and a USB extension cord for the receiver.
- The new receiver is tiny, so there's no risk of accidentally hitting it and breaking it if it's plugged directly into your computer.
- The new receiver is a "unifying" receiver, meaning it'll work with other cordless devices that support it. If you plan to buy another brand new Logitech input device, and if they stick with this interface in the long term, this could be really useful.

The bad:
- What made the MX Revolution revolutionary was the smooth wheel scrolling, which could be activated by a customized "SmartShift" setting - spin it fast, and it'll switch to smooth scrolling mode automatically. Since it was controlled in software, it also meant you could program ANY button to toggle scroll modes. Once you get used to this feature, you'll NEVER want to use a mouse without it. Unfortunately, Logitech dropped the feature, so you'll never again find a new mouse that has the feature. It was replaced by a cheap-feeling mechanical toggle button that cannot be reprogrammed. This is a major step backwards. They claim it was removed because it confused users, but public user comments _unanimously_ say otherwise. I strongly suspect it was discontinued because it was more expensive to implement than the current method.
- The MX Revolution had a cradle, which made it really easy to charge the mouse - drop it in the cradle overnight. The Performance MX replaces it entirely with a power cord, which has a small, fragile plug. This is probably better for travelers and laptop users, but a step backwards for desktop users.
- The Forward and Back buttons were shifted forward on the mouse. Unless you have a very long thumb, this means that the Forward button will require some reaching to use. Their placement on the MX Revolution put both of them in easy reach.
- The MX Revolution would stop discharging when you stopped using it. Leave it on the table overnight, and its charge level will be the same tomorrow. This only sometimes works with the Performance MX. If you leave the Performance MX lying around without manually turning it off or plugging it in, though, and your battery level might be "Low" or "Critical" the next day. Or it might not be. It's inconsistent. (See addendum at end)

Some people decry the loss of the side rocker wheel, but personally, I never found it to be a useful feature on the MX Revolution. Regardless, that wheel served as three buttons (rock forward, back, or press), which have been replaced by the single thumb button that I really like. If you want lots of buttons to assign functions to, the Performance MX has two fewer assignable buttons than the mouse it replaces, which might be annoying.

I'll get used to this mouse, but at its price, if I had paid for it, I would return it for something else. Fortunately or unfortunately, Logitech's reliability isn't what it used to be, so my MX Revolution failed just before its warranty expired (the latest in a long string of Logitech devices that have failed right around their warranty expiration for my family), and Logitech's wonderful customer service replaced it with a new Performance MX. I've always found Logitech's customer support to be absolutely top notch (which is why I keep buying Logitech hardware even though it keeps failing), but in this case, their warranty replacement turned out to be a significant downgrade that would not be worth the price this mouse sells for. Some stores still have MX Revolution mice in stock and for sale. If you're considering buying this mouse, I strongly encourage you to seek out an available MX Revolution instead. (Edit: Unlike when this review was initially written, the MX Revolution is no longer available anywhere at a price that's remotely reasonable.)

Still, this isn't a bad mouse. Whereas I'd give the MX Revolution 4.5-5 stars, I'll give this one 3. For the price and features, though, 3 stars aren't enough to make this mouse a good deal. There are sure to be better mice than this available at this premium price point from other companies.

Addendum on 05 Dec 2009 - I was finding that this mouse discharged its batteries both quickly and inconsistently (sometimes it'd take 2 hours to go from full to empty; sometimes a day). It turns out that the charger, which I complained about above for its small, fragile-seeming connector, is really quite poor. The mouse uses one standard NiMH AA battery; I replaced it with a fresh high-quality Eneloop battery, and it lasted five days, and charged the generic included battery. When the Eneloop ran down, I put the original battery back, and it is going strong after three days. Sadly, this means opening the mouse once or twice a week to replace the battery, but I think that beats plugging the tiny plug in every day, sometimes multiple times per day, and having to use it with the stiff cord attached.

Update September 2011: Note, a handful of comments have pointed out that the MX Revolution is much more expensive than the Performance Mouse MX, and claim that my comparison is invalid. Please note that the MX Revolution has been DISCONTINUED, and the Performance Mouse MX is its replacement. Logitech set the same MSRP for both mice during their respective production runs. Because there is still demand for the discontinued MX Revolution, its sale price has gone up considerably, but that bears no reflection on the price points Logitech set for these two mice.

UPDATE OCTOBER 19, 2011: For the last few weeks, I've been noticing that occasionally, and with a seemingly increasing frequency, my left-clicks have been registering as double clicks (it's gone from "did I accidentally double click that one time?" to falsely registering double clicks a couple times a day in the span of about two weeks). It would appear that this mouse has the same clicker-longevity problem as some of their previous mice have had. As I said above, this mouse replaced my MX Revolution because one of its buttons were failing (it was registering double-clicks; same problem), and my MX Revolution replaced a previous Logitech mouse that had the same problem (the mouse from the Cordless Desktop MX). As you can see, I've had this mouse for just under two years, and it's already beginning to fail. As luck would have it, Logitech's warranty is 3 years, so I may be on track to getting ANOTHER free warranty replacement. Logitech's products may not be very durable, but their customer service is generally very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Mouse is a Delight, August 30, 2009
Jack Puglis (Parsippany, NJ) - See all my reviews
I'm used to being disappointed by products after reading the advertising hype. Not so with this mouse--I'm very happy that I spent the money that I did to buy it. I've used it every day for several hours for a week now and I like it better as time goes on.

Ergonomics: The mouse is very comfortable and well-designed. My previous mouse had forward & back buttons near the thumb area, but they were so close to where my thumb was positioned that I would often hit one when first grasping the mouse. The thumb-rest on this mouse is very well-designed; it's easier to hold & control the mouse because the grip is so much surer.

Zoom, Forward & Back Buttons: These three buttons are located a bit above the thumb rest and are very intuitive. The zoom button is just above your thumb, but far enough that I don't accidentally press it. When I do use it, the wheel increases or decreases the size of the image. Hit it again, and the zoom mode goes off, but nicely leaves the image at the size that you set it so you can continue working.

The Forward and Back buttons are above the zoom button and I found them comfortably placed to access when I wanted them but not get in the way when I didn't. They work well--it's usually easier to hit the back button than move the mouse to the left arrow in my browser.

Scroll Wheel: Here, the mouse pleasantly surprised me with its "hyper-scroll" feature. I expected a slightly enhanced scrolling capability--after all, when marketing people write "hyper," meaning super-duper and extreme to the max, they usually mean that this version works properly where their previous product was buggy. OK, I'm cynical. This feature is a true improvement. When you press a release button that is conveniently located slightly behind the scroll wheel, it frees the scroll wheel to spin, enabling you to scroll through pages very fast. When you touch the wheel to stop it from spinning, the scrolling stops instantaneously. You can simply push the release button again and you're back to "click" scrolling.

Slightly Strange Software: The software that comes in the package on a CD enables you to adjust certain mouse settings to suit your own preferences. However, you must go into the Control Panel / Mouse application to set things like the number of lines per wheel "click," the "double-click speed," and the pointer image (I like a large black arrow because of vision problems). I would have expected an integrated suite of software that handled all of these things, or at least advice from the manufacturer that informed me that certain mouse settings had to be made in the control panel.

Other Stuff: Simple things enhance this mouse, like very low-friction feet. All of my previous mice were harder to move on the desk or table surface and therefore harder to control. The only alternative that I could think of was to go into the control panel and set the "mouse speed" slower than it was when I was doing any kind of fine work. With this mouse, the low-friction feet make it much easier to make fine movements with the pointer, and in general make the mouse more pleasant to use.

Speaking of friction, the mouse has rubberized pads on the right and left sides, making for a non-slip grip, unlike my previous mouse, which was clearly molded from recycled potato peels or something. The serious point is that I haven't yet found my fingers slipping when accessing any button.

Overall Comfort: A harder-to-define characteristic is how the mouse feels overall. I find my hand and arm less tired, and the grip feels natural to me--it is shaped correctly to my hand. Previous mice, like the piece of... well, let's say "low-priced" mouse that Dell supplied with my computer, forced my hand to conform to the mouse. The result is a feeling of "rightness" when I first take hold of this device.

Battery Recharge: Logitec thought through this one very nicely. I've had the mouse for a week and charged when I first got it. It's been on all this time. BTW, the mouse actually has an "on-off" switch. After I pulled the mouse out of its box, I charged it while I was using it by simply connecting the mini-USB connector to the wall charger. It was then similar to using a wired mouse while it was charging. Logitec also supplies a USB cable so you can charge the mouse from any of your computer's USB ports. No putting the mouse into a cradle to recharge, which prevents you from using the computer.

Receiver Extender Cable (USB): None of Logitec's literature and no review that I've found properly states the simple reason for this cable: when you have problems with erratic pointer movements because of interference, too great a distance from the mouse to the receiver or obstructions between them, this cable enables you to move the receiver closer to the mouse. This gives you a so-called "inverse square-law" advantage in signal strength: for example, at half of the distance between the mouse and the receiver, the mouse's transmitted signal strength is four times higher at the receiver.

I paid $99 for this mouse at Best Buy in NJ. I think that this is a case where paying more gets you more. This mouse is a great product and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mouse I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot!, September 10, 2009
Jonathan "Starblade" (Spanish Fork, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
MY FAVORITE FEATURES:

-Comfortable for LONG periods even though I am much more sensitive to repetitive stress from mice. I have never felt any discomfort with this mouse!

-Rechargeable and replaceable battery

-Superb tracking and features

-The added treat that it seems to have its own mouse acceleration algorithm in OS X, replacing, at least for itself, the (in my opinion) horrible, mud-like, mouse cursor acceleration that is unchangeable in the Mac OS X operating system. (I love everything about my mac but that horrible mouse acceleration!)

Other thoughts:

There is not a single negative thing I could say about this mouse. The only nitpick I can bring up is that I have to use a receiver, which means it takes up one of the only two USB ports on my macbook when I use it. Small price to pay! And if you have three or more USB ports on your laptop, or are using it exclusively on a desktop, this is a non-issue. Of course, giving me a receiver means that I can switch it between computers that don't have bluetooth easily, which is wonderful.

I'm one of those gadget nuts that just owns too many of nearly any computer peripheral. I have had three different tablets, and bought a large variety of mice and game controllers, and I can say with no hesitation that this is the best mouse I have ever owned. I bought the mouse after thinking about how cool the Darkfield technology was, and wanting to try the scrolling thing in the real world. I expected it to perform very well for games, but to give my wrists a hard time just like every other mouse I have owned, (vertical, slanted or horizontal). I have issues with repetitive stress, and basically every mouse I have used has caused me discomfort of one kind or another while using it. This has always been my gripe with performance mice: they look great, and track great, but they ultimately are poorly designed as far as ergonomics go. NOT so with this mouse! It is ergonomic AND has superior performance. It even increased my score and accuracy in UT3 and Quake 3!

I have used this mouse at work, and in games, and in not ideal computer use conditions, and my wrist has not acted up at all, despite long gaming sessions. I am surprised and tickled. I am sure I am going to buy another of these mice so that I can keep one at home and not have to keep moving this one around. I take it with me everywhere now.

If you can afford it, buy it! You won't regret it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Double-click problem, July 10, 2012
I've had this mouse for a few months, just long enough that I can't now return it. Search online for the logitech mouse double-click problem and you'll know why I hate this mouse. Apparently logitech has a real issue with their wireless mice. When I left-click the mouse, about 25% of the time it double-clicks for me. How nice of it. Except that I didn't double-click the mouse and don't want to double-click the mouse. I can't hightlight things, I can't single-click when I want to, very annoying. Avoid this mouse and apparently all logitech wireless mice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ergonomic Mouse with Sanyo eneloop Rechargeable Battery that works on any surfaces including Glass., December 12, 2009
I am a big fan of Logitech product. I would say the Logitech has the best for ergonomic designs for any mice. With the Darkfield technology, Logitech has implemented the microscope technology into a portable mouse that works on any surfaces. Yes! It does work on glass table, smooth reflective material, mirror, and magazine with plastic cover. None of the optical mice technology even Microsoft's Blu Track is as good as Darkfield.

I upgraded the mouse from Revolution MX to Performance MX. The differences are categorized below :

Ergonomics:
Performance MX has a thicker body and a narrower back compare to Revolution MX. This is suitable even medium and small palm size people. I think Performance MX wins!

Back and Forth buttons:
If you use a lot of back and forth button on your mouse, the traveling distance for the thumb on the Revolution MX is shorter than Performance MX. It doesn't really bother me much but I need some time to get use to. Revolution MX wins slightly.

Thumb Scroll is removed:
A lot of people have complained that the thumb scroll on the Revolution MX is useless, while I think it is quit useful when I set it to control the volume on my PC. The thumb scroll requires me to move my thumb to reach it but I find that compromise okay because I do not have a chance to accidentally press the thumb scroll when I move the mouse around. Logitech removes that thumb scroll on Performance MX. I miss that on the Performance MX. When Logitech removes the thumb wheel at least they should add 3 buttons somewhere on the Performance. Sorry, Revolution MX is slightly better on the number of buttons.

Missing Smart Hyper-scrolling from Revolution MX but added analog tilt:
Performance MX is lacking the electro-mechanical control to automatically switch the scroll between hyper-scroll and regular scroll. The Performance MX has a manual hyper-scroll switch in place of the Revolution MX search button. I feel disappointed about the Performance MX lacking a smart hyper-scroll wheel. To compensate that, Logitech introduces the analog tilt wheel where you can now tilt more to speed up the horizontal scroll speed when working on Excel Spreadsheets. Since vertical scroll is needed more often than horizontal scroll, Revolution MX wins definitely.

Rechargeable using micro USB:
Performance MX does not need an AC charging cradle. It can be charged using micro USB so you can use it while charging at the same time! It also comes with a AC to USB wall charger to charge the mouse. I think Performance MX is definitely the most comfortable mouse to travel without worrying about the battery! Performance MX Wins all the way! This is one of the most important feature to me for travelling. There is a catch though. The USB cable does not do data transfer for the mouse, so you still need the Unify transceiver to use the mouse. That means you need to occupy two USB ports for charging and using.

Included the best removable Sanyo eneloop 2000 mAh Ni-MH Rechargeable AA Battery:
Most people complain about a non-removable rechargeable battery in Revolution MX. Performance MX comes with the best Ni-MH battery. A lot of reviewers forgot or didn't even know Sanyo's eneloop Ni-MH battery self discharges at a very slow rate. A fully charged eneloop battery can maintain 90% of the charge even after 12 months! While other brands of Ni-MH batteries self discharges to 50% after 4 months in room temperature. The storage time for eneloop therefore is the longest in the Market of Ni-MH. eneloop also supports more than 1000 charge cycles. A 2000 mAh Ni-MH battery by Sanyo in Performance MX can last around a week on average depending on the daily usage.
I have to give kudos to Logitech to decide to go for Sanyo's eneloop battery. Because Ni-MH rechargeable batteries can be purchased everywhere. They are also economical. Moreover, any types of AA alkaline battery also work perfectly on Performance MX but make sure you don't charge the non rechargeable alkaline batteries, otherwise it might explode and damage the Performance MX!!! The removable rechargeable AA battery and USB charging feature have topped any Logitech wireless products I've ever used. PERFORMANCE MX wins!!

Logitech Unifying Technology:
Logitech does not want to pay for Bluetooth licensing fee, so they have developed their own Bluetooth-like technology that works for all future Logitech products that support Unifying wireless transmission. I personally think that Unifying technology is easier to use and has really quick response compare to Bluetooth devices. With only a size of a penny, the Unifying USB transceiver is able to connect several mice and keyboards at a time after paring using the Unifying software in Windows or Mac. Once you have paired the Keyboard and Mouse to the USB transceiver, you can immediately use it on any operating system. It worked on my Linux, mac and windows 7 without installing any drivers. It also works on my BIOS of my motherboard. However, if you want to use all the features and re-map the buttons, you have to install the Logitech Setpoint software.
Please note that any Logitech products that do not have Unifying technology are not compatible with the new transceiver, so don't complain that you can't use your old Revolution MX with the new Unifying USB transceiver. Performance MX is the way to go. I would love to marry Logitech products using Unifying!

Inside the traveling bag there are:
- AC to USB wall charger 110 - 220V
- Micro USB cable
- Extension Cable

Conclusion:
If you have never owned a Revolution MX and would like the most comfortable mouse on the market that works on any surfaces including glass table, want to combine with any type of Logitech keyboard or mouse using a unifying transceiver, able to charge the mouse with USB while using it, like excellent battery life with Sanyo eneloop, enjoy replaceable Ni-MH or non-rechargeable AA battery, then get Performance MX.
If you don't really care and can tolerate a limited size mouse pad, non-universal larger USB dongle, non removable rechargeable battery, no USB charging, get revolution MX while you can ONLY at clearance price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Corrects the MX Revolution's deficiencies (and then some)., September 12, 2009
I've owned a number of Logitech mice -- among others, I've owned the G5, the G9, the VX Nano, the MX1000, the MX Revolution, and now, the Performance Mouse MX. I believe I'm qualified to pass judgment on Logitech's newest pointing device, the Performance Mouse MX.

For starters, the Performance Mouse MX ("PMMX") improves upon the MX Revolution's ("MXR") somewhat kludgy mechanism for switching the scrollwheel from a freewheeling mode to a clicky "detent" mode. Where the MXR required the user to firmly press on the scrollwheel to change modes (often resulting in the mouse generating a scrollwheel button-press event rather than changing the scrollwheel mode), the PMMX uses a button just behind the scrollwheel to switch between those two modes. This is a far less frustrating method, and is also better implemented than the G9 mouse's bottom-mounted mode change button which required that the mouse be turned over to switch modes.

The PMMX also improves upon the MXR's charging design considerably. While the MXR required you to put the mouse in the charging cradle to recharge its battery -- thus rendering the mouse unusable for the duration of the recharge cycle -- the PMMX can be recharged on the fly while the mouse is in use by attaching a micro-USB cable to the front of the mouse and plugging that cable either into a powered USB port or into the back of an included AC-to-5V USB adapter. While Logitech's charging solution isn't nearly as elegant as Microsoft's implementation on their Sidewinder X8 (which uses a thin wire with a magnetized "charging paddle" which grips the front end of the mouse fairly tightly), it is equally as functional and is a quantum leap over the MXR's charging cradle.

Additionally, I could detect no discernable "wireless lag" between the mouse and the PC. The MX1000 had considerable lag as well as occasional glitches in how it interacted with the OS (sometimes resulting in the mouse tracking over only part of the desktop); the MXR still had some lag, enough to make it difficult to play certain "twitch" games (first-person shooters, for the most part), but no show-stopping tracking issues. Also, the PMMX seems to track more smoothly across all the surfaces I've tested it on (wood, cloth, mousepad, glass tabletop, glass patio door) than the MXR ever did; the MXR won't track reliably across glass on its best day, while the PMMX seems to be surface-agnostic, as it tracks equally reliably across every surface I've tested.

All in all, the Performance Mouse MX is a worthy successor to the MX Revolution, and would also serve well as a wireless gaming mouse. Its few flaws are outweighed by its improvements on its predecessor. I heartily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: one problem solved, another replaces it, September 7, 2009
UPDATE Sept 15: My original review was mainly positive but knocked off a star for some minor issues. I got a replacement which fixed one problem but introduces another. I'll insert comments into my original review.

----

I agree with almost everything said in the other positive reviews about the great ergonomics, the scroll wheel that you can toggle between hyperscrolling (very useful) and the more common measured/notched scrolling, the many useful features attached to the other buttons, the way you can use the mouse while the battery recharges, and the incredibly tiny receiver that works with other compatible devices.

Maybe you're having trouble thinking of a way to justify spending $100 for a rodent. I was too, but I thought of a way to justify it that maybe a few of you might find helpful:

Before now, I'd never spent more than $30 on a mouse (except once, a $50 microsoft bluetooth mouse that doesn't work too well). But I was never happy with any of them. They were either uncomfortable after an hour or so of use, or stopped working after a while, or something. So, after a few months, I'd give up and buy another one. Over time, I spent probably $200 on a series of cheap mice.

When the Performance MX came out a few weeks ago, I saw all the positive reviews (from users and from professional publications and websites), and it occurred to me that maybe if I spent more for a really good mouse, I'd be happy and wouldn't have to keep buying $30 mice every few months.

As I said above, in most ways I think this is a great mouse and agree with the many other positive reviews. But I've experienced some minor issues, too.

1. When you start pushing the mouse around after it's been sitting idle - even for just a few minutes - there's an annoying one- to two-second lag before the cursor reacts. UPDATE Sept 15: Logitech tech support figured out that this was a defect. I got a replacement, and it's perfect. With Amazon, I didn't have to pay shipping for the replacement, and I didn't have to return the first mouse until after receiving the replacement. Very happy with Amazon's service.

2. At this time, the number of devices that are compatible with the unifying receiver is very small: just two keyboards and three mice. The unifying receiver would be far more valuable if there were more different types of compatible devices. For example, I would like to see a numeric keypad and also a presentation/pointer that could work with the unifying receiver - logitech makes both such devices now, but they won't work with the unifying receiver.

3. I'm probably being too picky here, but I find the "click" to be a bit tinny, and louder and less satisfying than other mice I've used. UPDATE Sept 15: the replacement mouse is worse. The left button makes the same tinny click when you press down, but when you let go it makes a louder sound, almost like a knock on a door. (The right mouse button doesn't do this. Go figure.) This gets annoying after a while. Sorry, but if I'm paying $100 for a mouse, I want it to be just about perfect.

Since almost all the other reviews of this mouse are very positive, I am sure that my experience with two of them each having a minor but annoying defect is uncommon. In absence of these apparently rare defects, this is a really great mouse.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY - Left button will start failing after six months, May 25, 2012
Avoid this mouse, I love Logitech products but this one is a serious failure. After using the MX Revolution for a couple years I decided to upgrade to the newer version, and oh boy was it a mistake.

The first one I bought started doing random double clicks whenever I wanted to click on something, at first I blamed myself because I was using it heavily, so I stupidly decided to buy another one (mind you, this was only six months after I bought the first one) and here I'm six months later browsing Amazon searching for yet another mouse because this crap is driving me insane with the constant double clicking, AGAIN!

This makes me so sad because I truly love this mouse, I have huge hands so the size of this mouse is perfect for me, but oh well. I could have used the warranty, but I rather don't spend precious time with tech support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaks after 8-12 months (I've owned two), January 2, 2013
While this product is a delight to use, after 8 months or so the left mouse button will double click every time I click. I have followed all of the static discharge tips on the web to no avail. The "fix" lasts about 30 minutes the first time, then five minutes, then not at all.

The first one broke the same way after 11 months or so. I thought it might be a fluke, but it is a design flaw. The second one I purchased failed after 8 months. That's too lame for my money. The ergonomics are great, but the mouse is junk. I will avoid all Logitech mice henceforth.

Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac