4.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers for the price -- incredible sub, light mids
After using my previous Logitech 2.1 (satellite + sub) speakers for several years (and loving them!) I decided that for the price, these 640s would be worth the "risk" to gain 5.1 sound.
Published on January 26, 2003 by M. Saunders

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for. Dead to honest review.
I am sure all of you are looking to get some kind 5.1 audio setup without spending the big bucks. This is the most dead to honest review you're going to get from a home theater expert. Let's begin!

Published on September 9, 2004 by Home Theater Nut

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers for the price -- incredible sub, light mids, January 26, 2003
This review is from: Logitech Z-640 6 Speaker Surround Sound System (Personal Computers)
As usual, Logitech did a first class job on packaging the speakers. Everything arrived in great condition all protected in plastic bags to avoid any cosmetic flaws. Unpacking and set-up of the speakers was very easy -- all of the plug/cables are clearly marked and the cables are of reasonable length (important for the rear channels).
The performance of the speakers is good, especially considering the price range. They are a bit light on the midrange but for most computer applications (ie. games!) this is not an issue. The subwoofer is incredible -- I have to keep the sub set to minimum (there is a knob on the sub itself) since I live in a townhome with shared walls. I just popped a Techmaster P.E.B. audio CD in (a CD that is VERY heavy on the bass - commonly used in car audio competitions) and the sub does a wonderful job of reproducing the extremely low frequencies.
The high-range is good, as one would expect from satellites of this size.
All of the controls are positioned on the center channel speaker and include a Volume, Power, Fader, Center, and Matrix (for if you don't have a 5.1 soundcard) knob/button. The satellites stand on nice matte aluminum stands. The sub is probably around 10 inches cubed, with the speaker exposed on one side (behind a grille) and all of the connections on the opposite side. Cosmetically, these are nice speakers.
So, for the price, I cannot complain. Compared to my previous set of Logitech speakers (Soundman Extreme) and other speakers I have listened to, my only complaint is the midrange reproduction. Other than that, if you are a gamer or a basshead, these speakers will please you.
Mike

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, October 11, 2003
I just picked these up after seeing a deal at Amazon. I read all the prior reviews on this site and was left with a realistic set of expectations.
Pros:
Great price
Good build quality
Solid bass
Great high end
Cons:
Mid range a little weak
Bright blue LED on center is just plain stupid
Bass control on sub - would be better on the center with all the other controls
Note: I have these connected to an Audigy 1 sound card.
Setup:- system was very easy to connect up due to color coding but the packaging and tape over the wires was a pain to try and remove - that took longer than the connections. The build quality of the components seems good and the cable lengths were about right for the way I needed to set it up. However the blindingly bright blue LED on the center is just plain stupid and I had to put electrical tape over that within the first 5 minutes.
Sound quality:- I play games, listen to some music and watch some DVDs. It was clear to me that the default settings on my setup gave a less than stellar sound and required a fair amount of tweaking. Once the settings were correctly configured the sound went from "merely ok" to "very good".
I agree with reviewers that have said the system is a little weak in the mid range but it is not so bad that it detracts greatly from my enjoyment of the system.
Music is good, movies are very good and games are excellent through these. Battlefield 1942 through them is an entirely new experience compared to the (good quality) stereo+subwoofer speakers these replaced.
Bass is sufficient for a small to medium sized room, the highs are clear and the channel separation is good. Mid range is a little weak.
Clearly you can get better quality but not until you go up to 3 or 4 times the price.
Overall summary is that these are great speakers and well worth the money - I would recommend them to anyone and I think they will keep me happy for a few years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speakers for the price, July 8, 2003
I wanted a set of speakers that I could eventually use with a 5.1 surround sound system away from my PC. Testing out various speaker systems at a local computer shop, the Logitech Z640s had the best sound for the best price - $... with a $... rebate.
I was already looking at eventually getting a Sound Blaster Extigy to use as my Dolby converter, but with the Logitech Z-640s, it has the "Matrix" surround option which simulates surround sound from 2-channel sources. I was actually impressed with how well it could simulate surround sound. In many areas of movies, it actually worked! However, once I obtained the Extigy, I can attest that nothing can take the place of true Dolby Surround decoding. However, for those on a low budget, the Z-640s with the Matrix surround sound is an excellent buy.
The stands on the two front and two rear satellites allow to you either leave the speakers standing on a table or mount them to the wall. The center speaker's stand only gives you the option of leaving it on top of your monitor or TV set. It allows only two positions: angled up or angled down depending on whether it's placed below or above your listening level. I do wish it allowed mounting to a wall, since that is where I have my front speakers and the center channel should always be inline with or slightly behind the two front channels.
The sub-woofer pounds out the bass so well that my wife is constantly telling me to turn it down! From our rec-room in the basement, she says she can hear it up in our second-floor bedroom. Now, that's some powerful stuff!
Hooking up the speakers is pretty simple. The satellites hook into the subwoofer. From the woofer, another cable comes out with the standard lime-green (front), black (rear) and orange (center/subwoofer) connectors for 5.1 sound cards. Logitech provides a connector that allows you to hook up the speakers to a 2-channel source and utilizing the Matrix option, you can get simulated surround. The front and rear connectors hook in on one side and on the other are standard RCA jacks so that you can take the audio-out of a DVD player or game console and hook it up directly to the speakers. That is an excellent move on Logitech's part. The power supply is internal, so no bulky power supply block is needed to plug into your outlet which can take up space.
The rear speaker cables only allow about 10 feet, which wasn't enough for me. The wires would be running across the floor, except I went and purchased a pair of RCA extension cables and that fixed the problem real well with no degradation of sound.
All the controls are placed on the center speaker EXCEPT for the bass control, which is inconveniently placed on the back of the subwoofer. For me, it's not that bad as the subwoofer is not out of place. But, for those that love to hide it behind furniture in the corner of the room, it could be a problem. The controls on the center channel consist of the power button, volume control, fader, center channel volume and the Matrix button.
The look of the speakers is pretty slick and professional looking. I haven't had any problems with distortion of sound nor interference with the TV.
For the price, this is a definite buy for those people on a budget, but who want some great-sounding speakers. Other people who are more particular with the way their sound system works would probably do better looking elsewhere.
If you want to spend some more money, there are other speaker sets out there that have Dolby Digital decoding built in, but some are over $...(THX certified) while others are around $... (Dolby Digital only), but I don't know how well they sound.
The best thing to do is shop at a store that has the speakers set up for testing so you can determine for yourself if they are the right choice for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for. Dead to honest review., September 9, 2004

This system works for PC's, and video game consoles (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube). I've tested these speakers on all mediums and I will review them from best overall experience to worst. I will also explain each of the most important audio equipment in each review.

Z-640 PC Review:

To achieve Dolby Digital you will need a sound card to decode the signal. A 6-channel sound card will bring you the best possible aural sound. A 4-channel sound card will bring you acceptable sound and a 2-channel sound card you will get about average sound, in other words your rear satellite speakers won't make a single noise.

I recommend getting a 6-channel sound card because this is the only way you're going to receive Dolby Digital 5.1 sound out of your PC.

The cables are all color-coded, red plug=right rear speaker, yellow plug=left front speaker, & so on. So you will not have any trouble hooking this sound system up.

I tried these speakers with DOOM 3 and I was suprised by the quality of the sound. You hear gunshots coming from the right of you, explosions to the left, footsteps from behind, dialogue in the center, etc.

Overall PC Summary : For about $38.00 you are really receiving a bang for your buck. Everything sounds where it should be, nothing too weak or strong, just absoutely perfect. If you feel your desktop shaking, thank your patented-designed subwoofer. Which literally brings you wall-shaking sounds.

3.5/5

Z-640 Console Review(Xbox, PS2, Gamecube):

Let me get this out of the way, you will not receive a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound out of any of the consoles. So you will only receive "Simulated Surround." Which means, read below:

I tested these on multiple games for each of the 3 consoles such as Halo, Final Fantasy X, Metroid Prime. So if you're playing a game you will not hear bullets to your right or left, or spies creeping up behind you, instead you will hear it coming all around you. Whether it's magic summons, explosions, or just plain story-telling cutscenes you will not get a 5.1 signal from your speakers unless you took apart your consoles and found some way to include a Dolby Digital decoder in your consoles.

Everything is controlled by the Center speaker so that means you'll have to get up and go to it just to adjust settings. Overall volume control, rear speaker(fader) volume, center speaker volume, matrix button(press this to enable the center speaker for consoles), headphone jack. The only thing it doesn't control is the Subwoofer volume which is another thing you have to adjust to your liking.

This is really a downfall for the system. They could have included a wireless remote of some sort or at least a wired one so you don't have to get up just to change additional settings.

The blue light itself isn't bad at all, it's bright but no brighter than that blue light on your PS2 or green light on xbox. I was not bothered even once by the light.

For $38 you will get what you payed for.

The stands on the satellite speakers are also reversable which means you can easily mount them on the wall. Which is pretty neat and saves you money unlike other bulky speakers that require additional wall mounts.

Overall Console Review: Although you will not receive a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal you will still receive simulated surround sound which is definitely 1 step up better than television speakers. Just think of 5.1 DD as coordinated sound and simulated sound as uncoordinated sound.

2/5

Overall Z-640 product Review: Well-designed and convient. Easy to assemble. I would recommend this to the PC gamer who is low on cash. To the console gamer I would highly recommend you save a few more bucks and purchase the Z-680's because that system alone can double as a home theater system and it already has a built-in decoder ready for DVD players, PC's, & consoles.

The biggest downfall in this system is that the cords are too short!! You need a 2x4 room to embrace the above average sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound at a great price!, June 9, 2003
Gr33nr00st3r (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I just hooked these speakers up to my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 soundcard and all I can say is WOW! I've played games, music, and DVD's at deafing volumes and these speakers stay clean. I can't believe how hard the sub hits, the highs are great, and the mids are full. The controls on the center speaker are very handy as well, especially the headphone adapter for late nite gaming sessions.
One thing I learned was to dramatically improve the bass response was go into the audigy 2 settings and set the low-pass filter to 20hz. The speaker specs don't claim to go this low, but I can hear and feel the sounds way down there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good 5.1 system for the price, October 15, 2003
D. Schwartz (Bothell, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great set of speakers for anyone who wants to upgrade to 5.1 sound. It's got great surround and the subwoofer is big enough to rock the foundation of a home. The high-frequency is great as well as the low, making your sound experience on the computer a spectacular one. Whether you are into gaming, MP3's, or other stuff, you'll love this set.
Now, if you're really into acustics and have a fine ear for sound quality, you might want to go with a higher-end system, such as one from Cambridge--the mid-frequencies of these speakers aren't the best. But, unless you've got a very fine ear for these things, you won't notice a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of bang for the buck, October 2, 2004
Alright, I'm heading into a new world with my first review. I'll hold my breath, and make the leap...

I am running these speakers on a Soundblaster Audigy (also been a very nice card), in a nice size bedroom. So, while the front speakers are on my desk, subwoofer, below the desk, the rear speakers are on a dresser and nightstand. For the distance they are behind me, they should probably be farther apart, but that is not an option. I usually use these speakers for music, so 5.1 is not really needed. When gaming (as a student, it is not something I can do that often), the surround sound works just fine. Same story with DVDs.

More specific thoughts...

Sound quality... If something really matters to you, people will try to make money off it. Nothing against the sound quality of these speakers, as they sound great. My previous speakers were regular desktop speakers, with a whopping 1.8 watts amplifier (my sound card had enough power to run the speakers while turned off). After using these new speakers, I would have to be drug kicking and screaming to use the old ones. The bass is good (it can rattle the carpet a little, but is far from making your heart throb). The midrange sound is fine by me (other reviewers say it is lacking). I use the hardware equalizers on my card (usually set on Rock, or New Age), which seem to focus more on the lower end, which is what I want. If you want more midrange, I have found that turning up the center volume and pressing the matrix button on the front speaker will bring more of the mid and upper range to the center channel, which has more power (16 watts as opposed to the 6 or so each sattelite has). Also, try out different equalizers (most software players have them).

Cables... There are two cables coming from the center speaker. One goes to the subwoofer, the other to the computer. Be warned, they are both rather thick, especially the one to the sub (about the same size as a monitor's 15 pin cable and connector). Time, and heat from my monitor, has made them a little more pliable, and I don't consider them to be a problem. Do be warned, though, if you have fancy routing plans. Also, the rear speaker cables were not long enough for me. I had some fancy plans, including a trip into the closet, out at the other end, behind a dresser, etc. I had already counted on this, and got a female to male RCA cable for audio. With the rear speakers, this didn't even mess up the colour coding, and I simply split the audio cable into the two separate cables. All in all, it cost me about $3.
Some sound cards are colour-coded, mine was not, but the speakers input jacks were, and the instructions use the colours. So, if you are wondering, green is the two front speakers (output 1 on my card), black is the two rear speakers (output 2 on my card), and orange is the subwoofer and center channel (yep, you guessed it, output 3 on my card).

Controls... Most of the controls are on the center speaker, which is meant to go either on top of your monitor (where mine now resides), or in front of your keyboard. The stand for the speaker is attached to create the proper angle. The one black sheep control is the bass volume, which is located on the bass unit, or subwoofer. It might seem logical, until you realize that you may want to adjust it. This is a rare occurence for me, and is done without too much difficulty, so I didn't take off a star for that. Most of the controls are fairly self-explanatory. Matrix mixes the two front channels to get an output for the center channel (I'm not using it now, but am still getting an output), and fader adjusts the rear volume (with fader turned all the way up, the rear speakers are just as loud as the front speakers). I don't find the blue power indicator LED to be bothersome, but if you do, I'm sure that electrical tape, as was already suggested, will solve that problem.

Construction/Packing... Everything seemed to be packed well. The box I received had been very, very beat up. However, the box inside of that was in good condition, and the speakers, which were each separately packaged, were in very, very good condition. I prefer things to be over wrapped than damaged. Besides, unpacking took me only a few minutes. As for construction, the satellites can be wall mounted (mine aren't), and all seem sturdy. My subwoofer occassionaly has been my foot rest, which hasn't done it any harm. The four satellites are vented, which is supposed to increase sound quality, from what I've gathered. The stands all have rubber grip pads on them.

In conclusion... All in all, very nice speakers, keeping in mind that they are rather inexpensive. If you think their sound quality is not up to par, I hear (no pun intended) that Klipsch has very nice speakers. If you want more power, the Z680 have that, and some more bells and whistles, and I'm sure better sound quality too. Both of those options, though come at a price that would break my modest wallet.
If you are using these speakers, and think that any speakers would be better than these, I suggest that you look at your sound source before condemning these. I can tell a difference when streaming sound at a bit-rate of 20kbps as opposed to 48kbps, and that was in wma, which supposedly does better at such low bitrates compared to mp3. If you do mp3, I'd suggest at least 128kbps (I use a variable bit-rate, which usually averages 300-400kbps).

All in all, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, these are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but powerful!, December 19, 2003
I brought these speakers along with a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card to replace two HP Pavilion Polk speakers. I am not disappointed with this purchase. Not only are they affordable for a 6-speaker system, but they sound amazing too. I'm not an audiophile or anything like that, so I don't know the nitty gritty details, but I trust my ears and they proved to be a huge improvement.
It took me a while to connect these things to the Audigy 2. Unfortunately the card's plugs arent color-coordinated with the speaker's cables, so it was somewhat of a challenge, but once I got it right I enjoyed listening to music a lot more than before.
These are surround-sound speakers. Unfortunately my setup doesn't allow me to place the rear speakers behind me, so I opted to put them on the side instead. Amazingly, it still sounds like surround sound.
The subwoofer is a welcome bonus too. I live in an apartment building, so I have to set the volume pretty low, but I can still feel the vibrations underneath my feet. I haven't tried it at full power, but I wager it would shake the wall on the opposite side of the room. It's incredible how much realism a subwoofer adds to a listening experience, especially with DVD movies.
I agree with the reviewer who said the blue light on the center speaker is annoying. If you like to watch movies or play games in a dark environment and the thing is right in front of your eyes, it distracts from the monitor. It's not a big deal though, I just put some black tape over it and I got back to enjoying the multimedia.
DVD's really sound good on these speakers. You can actually hear sound move from one speaker to another and cycle, depending on the movie. I've never had that experience with two speakers. In fact, you can hear sounds you've never heard before too! It's really amazing.
Games also sound great, though not all support six speaker systems. Most support four, and you can hear the difference, but the sound is still better than with two speakers. It's a fantastic consolation that games like GTA 3 and Vice City sound absolutely fabulous now. It actually feels like you have a sound system in the computer-generated car.
Now, they're not THX certified, as if I know what that means. The only place I've heard THX is in a movie theater and even then, I wouldn't want to get that at home. It would bother too many people to turn it up that loud. At least it gives me an incentive to go to the movies more often. Nevertheless, if you're not an audiophile and you're looking for an affordable upgrade that will make your world rock, literally and metaphorically, these speakers are a good solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy WOW for small wallets!, September 21, 2003
The Doc (University Park, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Wow. WoW! WOW!!!
This is an excellent and exhilarating 5.1 set of speakers that delivers an amazing amount of bang (and boom!) for your buck!
Amazon is simply amazing. I ordered these speakers refurbished from ebay and had to send them back, because they were defective. I ordered from AMAZON the day I sent those back, and I received them two days later (with free shipping!) It was simply amazing the speed that the order arrived considering I used supersaver shipping. Because of this experience I would have to urge that you order these from Amazon... it's cheaper and refurbished items, as my experience shows, are not nearly as reliable as new products.
Enough of that, here's the actual review.
Simply put, I have been impressed with these speakers ever since I heard them at a Circuit City about two or three months ago. Now that they're in my dorm room, my hopes have been fulfilled and satisfied with superb sound quality and quantity. They were out of my price range at 90 dollars which I first saw them for in the store. However, even at that price you'd still get a good value. I was happy to find these for 55 dollars and free shipping from Amazon.
First, you have to realize that THESE ARE NOT TOP-OF-THE-LINE Sony or Eclipse speakers... however, they are incredible for under 100 dollars.
The satellites offer crisp and clear sound, but do not seem to offer enough support at really high volume to avoid distortion probably due to a lack of wattage.
The subwoofer is the best part of the package. Although it is only powered by approximately 25 watts, it sounds much louder than one would be led to believe by numbers. My friend has a 200 watt system, and it is just as loud, if not louder. His was 40 dollars more, too... This baby will make your heart skip beats. It is a small box, but it sounds much larger. My father has a 15 inch subwoofer for our living room, so I know what good bass is like. This subwoofer can shake the floor, although it's more likely to vibrate furniture.
The satellites are a little too high for some notes and the subwoofer's a little too low, so the mid-range frequencies lack a little. But usually, the subwoofer can reach the midrange.
I would definitely recommend this system for budget buyers who are looking for a quality system for under 100 dollars. It will not let you down, unless you are an audiophile... In which case, you will need to spend a lot of money to appease your sound-quality appetite anyway.
A definite must-buy in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers for surround sound GAMING, November 4, 2003
By A Customer
When I hooked the speakers up I didn't really notice that much of a difference in terms of positional audio when compared to my home theater system. Obviously I accounted for the scale and kept the fact that they were computer speakers in mind, but still I thought there was something lacking.
Then I bought Call of Duty and my whole opinion changed. Bullets would whizz past my head from the front, the sides, and behind and unlike watching a movie in which you are stuck in a fixed position while things happen around you, whenever i would move around the audio would adjust to my positioning. For instance, if i were facing one direction with bullets coming at me and turned to the right, the source of the bullets would in turn move to my left field of hearing. AWESOME. And when you think of the price point, you're getting a lot for your money. However, before you buy you should make sure that you have a sound card capable of handling surround sound. The machine I used had an Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 card with seperate inputs for each speaker.

Logitech Z-640 6 Speaker Surround Sound System