4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby-College Student Review
Published 23 months ago by Spoken Word

2.0 out of 5 stars Touchy Touch Zone
I've used the mouse for a month and decided to purchase a different mouse.

The design is a little uncomfortable until you've used it enough to get used to it. Mainly because the sides of the mouse slope inward and are flat (not ergonomic like most mice) So, the feel of the mouse is initially awkward ... although after awhile you get used to it...
Published 20 months ago by Life Is Great

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby-College Student Review, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Logitech Zone Touch Mouse T400 for Windows 8 - Black (Personal Computers)
So I bought this mouse as a replacement to my HP mouse that I absolutely love and still own, but the scroll wheel simply doesn't work well and I've always hated it. After upgrading my 2 year old HP laptop to Windows 8 (which I love), I decided to get a mouse with touch gestures as I am not too keen on touch screens on a laptop. I checked out all three of Logitech's line of mice specially designed for Windows 8, the other two being the Touch Mouse T620 and the Touchpad aka Trackpad. I am a little old school in that I prefer a mouse to look like a mouse from the 90s with left and right clicks easily distinguishable, which the other two were simply too touchy-feely for my taste. So I went with this one for the price and the aesthetics of it.
What I love:
I have noticed a lot of reviewers complain about the "lagginess" of the touch scroll vertically on webpages. If you simply plug and play the receiver, the mouse will work fine but with only default settings you can't change UNLESS YOU INSTALL THE SOFTWARE!!! After you install the software, and if you have Windows 8 like myself, it will be pinned to your Start screen where you can change and customize what different buttons do, AS WELL as change the speed of the touch scroll. All you have to do is read the instructions in the box. And they say us Best Buy employees don't know anything. HA!

I do however, have a couple of gripes with the mouse:
Size: It is a bit on the short size, so my hand is a bit scrunched when using is, but the touch scroll helps with this when I am on one page for a long time.

Side-Scroll- I have it set to go back and forth between web pages but it doesn't always work perfectly. Not a deal breaker, but annoying at times.

That's really my only complaints about the mouse. If you want a premium mouse at not such a high price and would like to take advantage of touch gestures on a mouse, this is the one to get.

2.0 out of 5 stars Touchy Touch Zone, February 20, 2013
I've used the mouse for a month and decided to purchase a different mouse.

But, the main reason for replacing the mouse is the Touch Zone.

First, one of the default options is the ability to double tap the bottom of the touch zone to zoom ... e.g, double tap to zoom in or out when viewing a website in your browser. When scrolling a web page (swiping your finger up/down the touch zone), the mouse will often incorrectly sense a double tab and shrink/enlarge the page. This was EXTREMELY annoying until I found the setting in the mouse software and turned the "feature" off.

Second, the touch zone is not precise enough when scrolling. So, you end up scrolling up/down to far (especially in a browser).

I'm going to try a different touch zone mouse (Microsoft Arc Touch) because I like the concept. But, suspect the lack of precision in a touch zone versus a wheel will drive me back to a traditional mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mouse for Windows 8, October 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Logitech comes through again with the Zone Touch mouse to save my windows 8 experience. In three words - quick, simple, perfect.

If you've not used Windows 8, it has a "tiled" interface that scrolls horizontally on the display (similar to the Xbox 360 interface). Using a conventional laptop pointing device (in my case, a touchpad, and I'm sure a pointer nub would have the same problems) just makes this interface clunky, slow, and an overall awful experience.

with the Zone Touch mouse, I simply plugged in the unifying receiver, and turned on the mouse using the on/off switch on the bottom. I was then instantly able to use the mouse, and swipe my finger across the touch strip left-to-right and right-to-left to quickly navigate the full width of the tile interface.

I've never really liked touch scroll buttons on a mouse, but at least in Windows 8, the touch scroll with this mouse is quick and accurate - no over scroll or accident scrolls due to your finger being near the scroll zone. For example, a webpage will scroll smoothly, and will stop scrolling the instant you stop the movement with your finger (or remove your finger from the scroll bar).

Quick. Simple. Perfect.

Pros:

Easy install
intuitive within Windows 8 (swipe in the direction you need to go)
small enough to travel, large enough for daily use
sleek, simple, attractive design
Unifying receiver (will use with the equally awesome Wireless Solar Keyboard)

I have no cons with this mouse at the moment. If something comes up, I'll edit the review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adds Horizontal Scrolling, October 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Windows 8 mouse does work with Windows 8. As a matter of fact, it's everything I would expect from a Logitech device. I've been using almost all Logitech pointing devices for several years (and I'm typing this on a Logitech keyboard) so I'm very happy with their products. I'm unfortunately not overwhelmed with this new mouse.

Out of the Box

It's a nicely designed mouse. It has low and slim form factor that feels good in my hands. I liked the ridged rubber edges too. They give a nice gripping surface. The buttons all click with a nice positive response so I know I've used them both by feel and by sound. The split buttons on the center glass screen are a little out of wack though. The smaller button replaces the center-click on other devices, but it's towards the center of the mouse. I use my center click an awful lot, especially while browsing the web. The larger of the two buttons is for opening the Start screen in Windows 8. It does that, but I've found while working on a desktop machine, I don't use the Start screen that often. I'll probably swap their positions.

I plugged in the Logitech Universal connector to my Windows 8 machine, turned the mouse on and was immediately rewarded with a software install. It added special functionality for the Zone Touch mouse, accessed through the Control Panel Mouse settings. After the install, the mouse was off and running. It was that simple.

Functionality

It works. I'm quite happy with it. The wireless hookup is exactly what I would expect out of Logitech. The response of the mouse itself is good. As I reported the button clicks are nice and responsive. The new magic is in the center glass pane that replaces the wheel. I was immediately able to scroll up and down with this, as seamlessly as if I had been using it forever. It just worked. Then I tried scrolling left and right. On the start screen it moved everything and much more seemlessly than my previous use of a regular mouse pointer had. It was almost like having a touch screen. On the browser it moved me backwards and forwards between pages. Which, then made me want to try out the other gestures. None of which I could get to work.

I then went to the Settings app in the Control Panel to see what I could do. I immediately swapped the functionality of the two center buttons so that the top/front acted as center click. Then I looked at what was possible with the swipe. There I was a little disappointed. The only real additional functionality I could get was to set it to zoom on a double tap (forward, and unzoom by double tap to the rear). That's cool, but no other gestures at all.

And that's where my disappointment came from. I just couldn't give this five stars for horizontal scrolling and zoom. Maybe I'm greedy, but I expected a little more. However, what's there really does work well. I'm happy with the mouse. I'll be using it, but I could have been just a little bit happier if it supported more of the Win8 functionality.

Experiment

I realize it's advertised as a Windows 8 mouse, but I couldn't help myself. I also plugged it into my Mac. It worked immediately. The scroll pane worked too. Flawlessly. All this without a software install. Doubletap on the glass didn't zoom though, but I'm not upset by that. I'm happy that this mouse will also work with my Mac if I decide I want to use it there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3-Button Mouse for Windows 7!, December 11, 2012
Spacecat (Pacifica, CA) - See all my reviews
As of writing this review I'm using Windows 7, and this mouse works great!

The main reason that I wanted to try the Logitech T400 mouse was that it has three physical buttons and no scroll wheel. Some of the high end graphics programs that I use have always been set up for a 3-Button mouse (such as Autodesk Maya) and, with most computer mice, using the scroll wheel as a middle mouse button is less than desirable- especially with my previous mouse, the Logitech Performance MX (the mouse wheel is a nightmare to use, as both a scroll wheel and as a button). While the T400 isn't nearly as comfortable as the Performance MX, I trust that I'll get used to the new form-factor over time. To be spared the aggrivation of the Performance MX's constantly scrolling wheel (even when I barely touch it), and to be able to middle click without accidentally zooming or scrolling should be worth the trade-off. The performance MX also needs to be charged at least once a week, so one day out of every five, the Performance MX is a wired mouse.

Back to the T400; the middle mouse button / touch zone is programmable for multiple uses. Here is how I've currently got mine set up in Windows 7: The top of the middle mouse button acts as a middle mouse click, the bottom of the mouse button scales and displays all the open program windows, similar to Expose on MacOS (very handy!), scroll up and down scrolls my pages, and a flick left or right goes forward and backwards in web browser history. The left and right mouse buttons function as normal, but they are swappable in the Logitech SetPoint software for left-handed folks.

The scrolling action with the touch zone is very smooth, with a natural feel. Overall, I'm really liking this mouse!

Also, the packaging is really great! One of the most efficient package designs I've come across- Nothing glued or taped in (beyond the seal at the bottom of the box), just a magically cut and folded piece of paperboard and the plastic shell that displays the goods inside of another skillfully designed piece of folded and cut paperboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and Easy to Use, October 24, 2012
I purchased this mouse in anticipation of Windows 8. My previous mouse was the one that came in the Logitech Wave keyboard/mouse bundle.

It took a couple days for me to adjust to the smaller arch of the mouse. (My previous mouse had a larger arch.) But now that I've adjust my hand sits comfortably on it. The scroll pad is interesting, the biggest advantage of it having two buttons. This is great, especially in a Windows 8 environment for quick access to the Start Menu. Depending on the program the scroll pad seems to work well. Example: in Quickbooks 2012 it doesn't scroll smoothly while in a web browser it does. This really isn't a fault of the mouse, I think, but that of the software.

I'm also a PC gamer, but I haven't had the opportunity to put it through the paces in a heavy action-type game yet. I'll be curious to see how it behaves when you need a pretty exact response. I'll update this review when I've had that opportunity.

With that said, this mouse is definitely comfortable and easy to use. Highly recommend.

UPDATE: I've now had an opportunity to play a few games with this mouse it it works brilliantly. No major issues as it's responsive. So, from a gamers perspective, this mouse works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unleashed, but still needs USB port, works seamlessly with 8.0, November 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I have a new laptop (the Lenovo Twist), and it has a trackpad, I also struggle with the beginnings of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. As a result, I always use a mouse to minimize the actions that a trackpad entails. My normal preference is a trackball, but with the included motions on this particular mouse, I decided to take it for a test run.

One of the things I noticed was that there is a learning curve on the actions included with the mouse, particularly the scrolling part. However, as I learned, I got much better and faster. The second thing was that it is ergonomically comfortable for my small hand. Unlike the trackball, it still requires wrist motion, but no more so than any mouse, perhaps less so because of the scroll option.

The batteries are easy to remove and replace. It is lightweight. It is sensitive.

And yes, it works seamlessly with my 8.0.

Probably the only issue involves the fact that it requires a small plug (easy to lose) in order to operate it. While the plug is supposed to support multiple devices, I only have 1 I intend to use. My earlier wireless mouse had a small slot I could use to store the plug when not in use (inside of the mouse) that actually turned it off. With a zillion parts in my house, it really would be handy to have something to keep the mouse and plug together if they are not in use.

I attached the plug into my 3.0 hub, and it has worked seamlessly, so I will be keeping it plugged in there for safekeeping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mouse for Windows and Ubuntu, October 19, 2013
Feels very premium and Soft in the hand also Works great on Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 13.10 for those wondering about purchasing

4.0 out of 5 stars Works With Ubuntu, June 9, 2013
I purchased this mouse to use with my laptop when docked in the home office. It's great for what it is.

Pros:
-A wireless mouse that uses Logitech's single dongle that allows multiple devices to connect to it (if they are compatible).
-Responsive (I have not noticed scrolling lag that others have mentioned)
-Low-priced (I got it for 19.99 during a sale)
-Plug and Play (even with Ubuntu, which is my primary OS)
-Comfortable
-Touch Sensitive (But be careful with this one, I accidentally left my finger on it a couple times and it scrolled wildly when I raised my finger up)

Cons:
What it's not is incredibly customizable--without Logitech's software installed. Personally, I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, and unfortunately there is no software that I can find to customize it. A center button press does a lot of things in a lot of applications that I would like to use. Unfortunately, with this mouse, all it does is bring up the Unity interface (think windows start button or start screen). I'd love to find a solution to this, but as of yet, I have not. This is probably the only gripe I have with this device. If I had a way to customize it, this would be a 5 star product for my needs and the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer Logitech M510, May 17, 2013
After using an Apple Magic Mouse with a Mac I had to try a touch mouse for use with windows. The T400 is well made but for me I found too often when using a touch gesture to scroll I would also trigger a "go back" command to the web browser. I seldom have that problem with my Apple computer. Inadvertently triggering a "go back" can lose the contents entered into a form. For windows I've switched to the Logitech M510 with buttons for "go back" and "go forward". It's not a nice as a touch gesture but no false commands. Moving my thumb to hit the "go back" or "go forward" button is better than clicking on browser arrows or keyboard shortcuts but not quite as nice as the Apple Magic Mouse.

If the T400 fits your hand and your gestures it could be a very nice solution.

Logitech Zone Touch Mouse T400 for Windows 8 - Black