Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Logitech 720p Webcam C905
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Silver|Package Type: Retail|Change

VINE VOICEon October 13, 2007
Color: Silver|Package Type: Retail|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I got the package, the first thing that made me happy was the size of this camera. I travel a fair amount on business and have a two-year-old daughter, so I always take a camera with me to talk to her at night and allow her to see me. The size of this camera is as good as it gets for traveling, and it also includes a great padded pouch for transporting it.

The other aspect of this product that I loved is its image quality, especially in regards to how well it adjusts the image based on the light and also how when you are on a Skype call and you move, the person on the other side can clearly see the movement instead of seeing a blur on their screen. I compared its quality side by side with my previous camera, which roughly costs half of what this one goes for, and the difference in quality was huge; making this a great purchase.

In terms of the software installation, the instructions were simple and clear and the process does not take too much time. The only thing that can be improved is that when you get to the point in which you are prompted to plug in the camera, while the computer is checking the configuration, the installation screen keeps prompting for the camera to be plugged in. People used to installing plug-and-play hardware will quickly realize what is going on, but some users may be confused by this and start unplugging and plugging the device.

In terms of using the camera with Skype, the integration is seamless. The only setting I had to adjust manually was the microphone, but this is straightforward, I just needed to go to the Options / Sound Devices and pick the appropriate audio in. A final thing to consider is that for the camera to work with Skype you have to close the Logitech Quickcam software, since the image cannot be used by both programs at the same time.

Overall I am highly satisfied with this product, and besides the minor problems mentioned above, the only other thing I did not care for was the stand. This camera works great if you are going to clip it to your laptop screen, but the stand provided for use with desktops is wobbly and does not help with image quality at all.
44 comments|240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2008
Compact size, superb image with autofocus, clear wide field of view. I am very happy with the video and sound quality. This WebCam replaces my HP 1.3M WebCam HP RD345AA 1.3 Megapixel Webcam for Notebooks.

INSTALLATION: 3 Stars [Update process could have been smoother]
Out of the box, the package warns you in several places not to plug the camera in until you have installed the software. They even put a small cover on the USB plug with a message on the cable. Very effective. I turned off AntiVirus protection per the instructions and then installed the software. I enabled automatically check for updates. It said no updates were found. Then I plugged in the camera. After full install, it said updates were available and gave me a link to the website where I was supposed to select my camera, operating system, file version, etc.... I closed that link and found the "Check for Updates" link within the software (Right click on the Logitech Camera icon in the System Tray). That worked smoothly without intervention from me. It updated my software from version 11.1 to 11.5.

IMAGE: 5 Stars
The 2 MP camera produces very clear images that work great on Skype. Motion is no longer blurry, and the autofocus works great. The specifications say the autofocus will not work closer than 10 cm, but I find that if you move in slowly, it will work as close as 4 or 5 cm. This is great if you want to show something up close like an image from your digital camera or a label on a product.

SOUND: 5 Stars
The built in Microphone combined with the Logitech noise reduction software eliminated all the echos and howling that I expereienced with my previous camera. I no longer have to yell to be heard. I can speak in a normal voice, or even from across the room, and my sound is crystal clear. Flawless.

CLIP: 3 Stars
The clip for this device does not hold it securely. The camera can easily be pulled left or right if the USB cable is tugged even slightly. The rubber feet on the clip seem robust, yet it seems to be delicately balanced on the edge of my monitor. It doesn't fall off, but it is not a solid perch. The camera can be independently tilted up and down, but not left and right. There is no option for clipping the camera to the side of the monitor. The included stand works decently. It is made of three pieces that fit together and then the camera clips to the top. I placed the stand behind my laptop and it worked very well...peering over the top. Unfortunately, you cannot adjust height of this stand. I will probably not bring this on future trips.

SPECIAL FEATURES: 2 Stars
There is a thin button across the top of the camera that allows you to take still photos. I found the camera button was too easy to press while trying to adjust the camera. And since the camera does not clip securely, trying to press this button almost requires two hands...one to steady the camera and the other to push the button. The included software allows Avatars to imitate your facial expressions in place of your real image. You can also add special effects like hats, arrows through your head, or goatee and mustache. When it works, this is a really neat feature that my kids loved! But, even though it was neat, something in that feature conflicted with my Symantec Antivirus. As soon as I turned antivirus back on, turning on these neat video features forced my machine into an immediate shutdown! I got a BSOD followed by a hard shutdown that I haven't seen since Win95! My machine hung in a state of limbo. The power button wouldn't turn it off (software driven) but the machine as powered up with a blank screen. I had to pull the plug and remove the battery to complete the shutdown. Each time I turned that feature on while using Antivirus, my computer gave me the BSOD and performed an immediate and hard shutdown. Needless to say, I no longer use these special features.

AUTO FACE TRACKER: ?
This is a neat feature, but I do not find it useful. It really does a great job of following my face, but at what price? It seems like the other person would get seasick watching the background bob and weave as the software followed my head around. I think I am used to seeing the background stay put, while the person moves around in the frame. Anything else is disconcerting. Since I don't care for this feature, I did not rate it. You may find it entertaining.

ACCESORIES: 5 Stars
The included soft-sided pouch, along with the velcro strap for wrapping the USB cord are nice touches as I plan to use this for travel. Why don't more manufacturers offer these nice touches?

OVERALL REVIEW: 4 Stars
The video and sound are superb, and that is what really counts. But it seems that logitech could take one more step forward and improve the software to eliminate glitches with anti-virus, improve the software update process, and design a more robust clip. With a few minor changes this would easily be a 5-star item.

RECOMMENDATION:
After trying several different brands and models, this one had the best price/performance. Cheaper ones left me wishing I had better video. More expensive ones had me wondering why they cost so much when this one offers everything I need. I would recommend purchasing this item.
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2007
This is the perfect webcam for using with a laptop. The image quality is outstanding and works well even in low light. The cord is just long enough to connect up to a USB port without getting in the way and saves space when packed up in the tiny neoprene case that's included. Logitech even thought to include a handy mini velcro strap on the USB cord to keep things organized. There's a small and quite adequate microphone with the camera. The stand that is included with the camera breaks apart into three smaller pieces so it can also easily fit in one's gear bag. I'm a bit concerned it's not quite sturdy enough for constant assembly-and-disassembly. I can see using the stand quite a bit when attending lectures because it isolates the microphone from the sound of keyboard typing. I also own an Quick Cam Ultra Vision on a workstation at work. All in all, I'd say that this tiny webcam gives the huge Ultra Vision a good run for it's money on image quality and features, but is much more convenient for the road warrior. Logitech is obviously taking web cams seriously-- these are the two best webcams I have ever seen. They suddenly make video conferencing, video Skype, and OneNote video notes a must have.
on July 15, 2007
Update: A replacement unit has good focus from side to side. The focusing defect I saw appears to be unit specific. Check your unit for focus uniformity across its entire field of view to avoid a defective unit. Once you have a good one, the image quality is excellent.

This webcam does produce a better picture than the built-in camera of a MacBook. Yes, it works with with Mac OS 10.4.10 natively as a UVC device. HOWEVER, the unit I purchased had a focusing flaw. The left side of the image was always slightly out of focus while the right side of the image was well focused. As a result, the very nice lens system just could not get the entire picture right. This focusing flaw was not so noticeable at iChat's low 640 x 480 resolution, but if native resolution images were captured using other webcam capture software, the left 1/3 of the image was clearly out of focus. I believe the unit had its glass lens tilted relative to the CCD preventing it from ever bringing both sides into focus. As a result, the camera's touted superior lens was largely negated.

However, it is otherwise an impressive camera which delivers better tolerance to poor lighting than the built-in MacBook camera. The increased resolution CCD is impressive (in the focused portions of he picture) and gamma response yielded an image which conveyed greater depth.

If the entire image were in focus simultaneously (in full resolution captures) I would have given this using 5 stars. With the optical flaw, I can only give it 3/5. It is possible that other specimens may have better alignment between the lens and CCD, but without testing several more units, I don't know if the problem is a design flaw or simply a single missaligned unit.

[...]
44 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2007
This webcam produces nice sharp images and the automatic focus is fabulous! The colors are rich and very true.
It works great in dim light and well lit areas. However in my opinion it works best if the room is evenly lit,either all dim or all bright.When I first turned it on it was evening and my room was dim except for the desk lamp which was sitting behind the camera and this caused some over exposure,this was easily solved by simply turning the lamp off.

The sound is also nice and clear,even from several feet away.I have a very soft voice and sitting about a foot and a half from the camera I can be easily heard,which is saying alot considering I constantly have to repeat myself to others.

Even the pictures are nice,about the quality of a mid grade digital camera.It also comes with a stand if you don't want to clip it to your monitor.The stand is a light weight plastic and has a grip pad on the bottom for extra support.

All in all I am very happy with this webcam and reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a nice compact webcam with excellent resolution.
DEVICE INSTALL/SETUP
Once again, Logitech makes install a breeze! The install and configuration wizards made setup a simple and quick task.

MANUALS/DOCUMENTATION
The documentation was complete and simple to navigate. I spent little time to find the correct installation steps for the device.

FUNCTIONALITY
The camera is as easy to use as it was to setup, and was easily accessible through both the Logitech software and 3rd party components that I have installed that are compatible with webcams (Skype, Comcast Videomail, Yahoo IM).

The size and weight of the webcam is ideal for use with a notebook, and comes complete with a travel case to protect the webcam while in a laptop case, etc.

My only disappointment with the Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks is the notebook clip. Made for use with laptop PCs, the webcam has a clip that affixes it to the top of the notebook monitor. I found the clip to be somewhat flimsy in the way it secured the device to the laptop. If the attached USB cable is positioned a certain way, the webcam is easily pulled downward, rather than facing straight ahead.

The video quality is superb, as are the many features the camera is equipped with. Features include powerful color and brightness enhancements as well as more unusual additions such as upside down and mirror images.

EASE OF USE
The interfaces for the webcam are intuitive, promoting ease of use. Integration with 3rd party software that support webcam use is seamless.

QUALITY/DURABILITY
While this is a well-made device, it is a small portable unit, and the durability will depend largely on the abuse or care rendered by the individual user. Cautiously returning it to its travel case will prevent scratching of the camera lens. Tossing it loose in a full laptop case will likely cause undue wear and tear on the webcam, shortening its life.

VALUE
If you are in the market for a great webcam that is portable and light, then this is a perfect value for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 17, 2007
Logitech has always been at the forefront for making web cameras and their products are plug and play. This one is no exception. You just plug it in and go! I've had the opportunity to use this product as my friend had it and now through Amazon's Vine program and I was impressed by the image quality.

The image quality on the Pro series has always been better than some of their other cheaper models and is perfect for people who may be using it for live meetings. The colors for this cam are true to life and the images are sharp. It's small (2.5 inches by 1 inch) and extremely portable and easily hooks on to the top of your notebook. I own the older version of this QuickCam Pro which has thinner prongs to hook it on the top of your notebook that caused the camera to fall over more easily. Logitech has improved the clip design that attaches the camera to the notebook for this model and it now stays securely on the top of the screen even if you are moving your laptop.

I've not had focusing problems with this webcam like some other reviewers have commented. In fact, the camera focuses automatically on you and performs very well in the night in low light conditions (you need to turn on the "Rightlight2" feature for the low light optimization). Just give it about 10-15 seconds to refocus if you move more than a foot away. It can be set on auto or manual focus through the software and you can also zoom in or out on your face with the same software. Sometimes, I just have had to adjust the focus a little bit to make the image sharper if I want to focus on a specific object (other than my face) that is not right in front of the webcam. You can set the camera to follow you and it keeps panning in that mode which can get a little too much for chat. I've used this webcam on Windows Live Messenger with surprisingly good image quality (really crystal clear) over a cable internet connection. There is one caveat though, if you want to use this webcam to perform some fast action in front of the camera it will be pretty blurry even though the refresh rate of the camera is up to 30 fps (30 frames per second). There may be a fix for this problem through the settings, but I have not found it and I got the same blur even when I turned off the auto focus.

The better resolution requires greater processor speed and works best with USB 2.0 so if you have an older laptop with a slower processor this will make your other applications freeze or slow down. They bundle the HP Photosmart software with this camera, which I don't use. I usually turn off the mic on the camera as my notebook has inbuilt mic.

It also has a video-effects feature in the software, where you can substitute a shark or an E.T. like creature (there are 2 more options) instead of your face and it mimics your facial expressions, so the people on the other side will see a shark saying "Hello" and winking!. That will funny to use once in a while but it does not work too well in low light, you'll need to have a brighter light on your face for this feature to work well. It comes with a softcase which is nice for travel and helps protect the lens. The included stand that comes in 3 pieces to increase portability is a nice touch as you may sometimes not want to have the camera on the top of your notebook, especially if you work at a desk. Like other webcams you can broadcast yourself live with this camera or even take quick pics upto 8MP but since there is no flash the pics will not be too great in low light. You can also make video clips of yourself for youtube or Amazon video reviews.
on May 5, 2009
I prayed and prayed after I ordered this. I had previously checked out the linux uvc webcam [...]which might work, and this seemed like the 2007 model that is mentioned in the list.

After I got it, I ran to the laptop, heart pounding as I plugged it in. /var/log/messages confirmed that the USB identifier was just the one which was supported - 046d:0991. I started up ekiga and it straightaway showed my video. I fired up Skype, and it showed up as well. Even the microphone works! Just freaking awesome!

Those in the market for linux compatible webcams, be aware that most logitech webcams are marked in the linux uvc page as potentially having problems (including the famed pro 9000 model). Be careful and do your research before buying webcams. This one works! Picture quality is ok. I am not sure whether the video qualifies as HD as somebody has tagged this product with.

OS used: Ubuntu Linux 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), but should work in all modern linux distros with uvc support.
on August 29, 2007
I've tried out quite a few cams over the years, and this is the best I have used. The image is sharp, not grainy at all. The color is realistic and the included software makes adjustments to contrast, color saturation, etc., a breeze. It works very well in low light situations, thanks to the RightLight(tm)2 Technology.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I found the auto-focus to be a little slow at times, but if you're just sitting in front of the PC it is not a concern. It could have been because I wasn't using enough light. Others' experiences may be different, and I wouldn't consider it detrimental enough not to use the cam. It's excellent overall.

The cam is tiny, even smaller than I expected. You can carry it in your pocket or use the little case they give you. It's only two inches by one inch and thin, too, even with the clip on the back.
VINE VOICEon July 25, 2009
If I could give this product six stars, I would. I've purchased a couple of webcams over the years. All turned out to be just hard enough to use and just low enough quality that they eventually went in a drawer. Then, three weeks ago, before a trip to India and China, I decided to give webcams another try so that I could stay in touch with home. Based on Amazon reviews and previous good experiences with other Logitech products, I purchased a Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks for my laptop and a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 for the home computer.

Both cameras are beautifully designed. The notebook version is very small (even smaller than it looks in the picture) and takes up about as much space than my mobile phone in my briefcase. Both units fit onto the monitors very easily (the Notebook version clips on, while the 9000 just sits on top of the monitor with a counterweight in the back). Installation of the software was a breeze -- took just a few minutes and installed without a hitch.

The real news for me, though, is the Logitech Vid software. At first, I didn't load the software, because it wasn't on the CD (I had to download it). However, after trying video chat on gmail (which was a bit confusing and kept crashing my computer), I downloaded the Logitech Vid software on both my laptop and my home computer. It's incredibly easy to use. All I had to do was register an email address on each computer, after which call from system to system was as easy as clicking on the picture of the person on the other system. No exaggeration, it was easier than dialing a phone number.

For the last two weeks, I used the Logitech Quickcam to call home nightly from both India and China, using the regular internet access from the hotels. The process was incredibly simple -- a few seconds after clicking on the icon for the other computer, I was connected with home. The video quality was excellent, even in very poor lighting conditions, and the autofocus worked very well to keep us both sharp. The audio quality was also very clear; in fact, it was clearer than phone calls back to the States.

Given that calls back to the States normally cost $1 to $3 a minute from Asia, I figure I made back the cost of the cameras in a single trip. Since the video calls involved no incremental cost, I was able to talk as long as I wanted. Also, being able to see the family, rather than just hear them, was huge.

In a nutshell, I couldn't be more pleased. I promptly bought two more cameras for someone who works for me and also travels a lot internationally. I'll soon be ordering a camera for the grandparents; installation and use was simple enough that I'm confident my 80-something parents will have no problem setting it up and using it.

As I mentioned at the outset, I've tried webcams several times before, without success. Maybe they've simply gotten better since the last time I tried, or maybe Logitech finally cracked the code of extreme ease-of-use combined with very high picture and sound quality. In any case, the outcome was a true blessing for me when traveling internationally. I highly, highly recommend this camera to anyone who wants to stay in touch with family and friends who are far away and who wants a solution that's as easy as (or actually easier than) a phone call. I couldn't be more pleased with this product.