Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on January 7, 2010
David Airey has nailed the topic of logo / identity design right on the head!

I have been fortunate enough to have a handful of my logos featured in a few best selling books. By no means do I consider myself an expert, but instead (just as every designer should be): a constant learner. Success is fleeting and then it's back to the drawing board to try and repeat the process. Just as every designer with a beating heart, I have questioned my design process, my pricing, my abilities, and my skill at negotiating with the client. Logo Design Love gave me the confidence to say: "You know what? I'm doing ok, but here's what I'm going to work on..." David Airey has come as close to mastering the topic as one can and he translates his methods flawlessly into an easy to understand series of steps that are sure to get your designs on the right track every-time. I am pleased to say that though I have been using much the same approach as David when constructing logos, I took some very valuable tips and strategies away from this that I can not wait to apply to my next identity design!

Perhaps the best thing about this book is that it can serve as the perfect way to educate your client on the concept and process of logo design! 2009 found many of my clients consistently trying to pit my prices against crowd-sourcing sites even though there was absolutely no comparison in the quality and level of service between us...AND IT'S FRUSTRATING! VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING! You must remember that to the average client: a logo is just a logo and therefore shouldn't cost that much to create...to make matters worse, we designers have collectively pandered to this mentality instead of correcting it. This book, when given to your client, will correct it! I am going to buy a handful of copies and every-time I start a new identity design I will supply the client with this book as a cornerstone of education and communication on the topic to ensure that we are on the same page. If you like the idea of having a smoother client-designer relationship, you'd be smart to do the same. I managed to read the book in two sittings, so don't worry, it will not delay the process, but will undoubtedly save much time and frustration. Thank you David Airey for such a valuable contribution!
33 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
Like another reviewer mentioned, I bought this book hoping to gain new insight on the thinking process behind designing logos and such. My favorite section of the book is where the author explains how designers use mind maps to draft ideas before turning to use the computer.

However, when it came to showcasing different logos, it almost came across as advertising how great the respective designer(s) were for coming up with the different logo designers, and consequently how successful the company did after the re-branding effort. There was the problem (logo was boring), and then the solution (designer drew up some ideas and voila, a cool logo was implemented)...but what I really wanted to know was the thought process in between these two steps!

All in all, a good read with some useful tips
on April 8, 2013
Logo Design Love by David Airey is a welcome addition to my newly budding collection of design books.

Previously, I had bought another logo book that included ample examples of logos with wholly unrelated text and spatters of quotes, meant to stimulate speculation as opposed to provide instruction. Conversely, Airey's book provided text that was engaging, sequential, and meaningful in addition to providing some stellar pictorial examples of state-of-the-art logos. Airey's choice of logos used mostly artistic typeface, but were none the less brilliant, while the book itself flowed in a friendly manner.

Although well over 45% of the book covers the business aspects of design, such as the how-to of presenting and leading design projects to clients, David Airey wrote these sections as if he were writing a letter to a dear friend. Indeed, Airey's warm tone of voice made the business components inviting, irrespective of how much background the reader might already have with presenting deliverables to the client.

With that said, the highlights of the book for me included the following:

1. The chapter providing brainstorming/mind mapping techniques for coming up with various words associated to general themes or concepts surrounding the company.

2. The multitude of examples of the evolving sketches that comprised a fundamental part of the design process.

3. The instruction on how to make a compelling logo design, including such advice as keeping it simple, singularly focused, and black-and-white (for the initial concept).

4. The amazing examples of state-of-the-art logo designs, including snippets of proposed design(s) along with the client approved design.

5. The straightforward advice on using Illustrator or vector graphic software for logo design and on using Photoshop for showing the logos on various media, such as business cards, the side of a truck, and so forth.

Although Airey's book can be read in a matter of days, it provides a wide breadth of information on the design process, most notably written as if intended to be read by a beloved friend.

(A recommended book for designers to purchase in addition to Logo Design Love is called Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. Krause's book is often used in design courses as it provides great instructional depth on the basics of design, including logo design.)
on September 14, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's fairly short and to the point and will hold your attention unlike a lot of books I have purchased in this category. I wasn't sure I needed it at first. I have quite a few books on my bookshelf on this subject, some that I have never been able to stomach for more than a few pages. This book is not one that will sit on your shelf unread. It's chock full of useful, real life business advice for the freelance designer. David also walks you through his identity design process using real examples. This is everything I wanted to learn in school, but never did. If you are a graphic designer and you haven't read this, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.
on February 16, 2012
Others have extolled the virtues of this book, and they are all true, so I won't get into that. This review is concerned more with the Kindle version of the book, and a caution to purchase the actual book instead of the Kindle version.

While the Kindle version has all the basic content in that the words and pictures exist, they are formatted in a very plain, in-line format. In other words, there's no format at all, really, which is difficult since this book is about design. For those of us who are visual and appreciate the design of the book, it makes for a more difficult read. Much of the mood of the book gets lost in the plain formatting of the Kindle version.

Unless you're dying to have a digital copy, or unless you need the book immediately and can't wait for shipping, purchase the actual paper book; it better communicates the author's vision and message.
on April 30, 2014
AWESOME.

Many real world examples of applying skills in the graphic design trade.

What sets this book apart from others is the application of the concepts, rather than just explanation with examples. Make sense?

This book examines the concepts of design and applying them to the physical work, while also moving into the areas of client relationships and how to manage communications when providing design work to someone.

Really, a great read. Out of all the top-rated graphic design books on Amazon, I'd probably suggest this one first.
on January 27, 2016
I wish I had this 15 years ago when I first got into the industry. The most direct and simple break down of logo creation (and working with clients) I've ever read. Great to read for first time and when one needs refreshing. Job well done!
on May 3, 2011
I've done some graphic and web design in the past as part of a different job, but I'm now changing careers and will eventually be doing mostly freelance design. There are a lot of books out there that show you great designs, or that discuss only the more technical aspects of design. But this book is unique in that it not only shows you brilliant works of design and branding, but shares the creative process behind them, focusing specifically on the critical task of creating brand identities that are lasting, relevant, and pleasing to any given client.

This book is visually inspiring while also being a great read... the perfect blend of eye candy and rich information! I'm about halfway through right now, and even if this was the end of the book, I would think it was worth picking up. But just when I think it can't get any better, I read a few pages more and love it even more. David Airey just does a great job of demystifying some of the more daunting aspects of branding. Obviously I'm a beginner, but I have to believe that even seasoned designers who aren't as experienced in branding would find this very useful. Anyway, enough gushing. Get it. Love it.
on December 19, 2013
I like how it's written; simple, direct, to the point. It's perfect for the designers who are getting into the business world and it could be useful for experienced designers too like me, because you never stop learning, and I found some good tips there and reaffirmations of what I do. It's a nice read of the concepts of the process of making a logo.
on January 15, 2010
David's book is more than a guide to creating iconic brand identities, is a guide to be a more successful graphic designer in anyway. The book was easy to follow and there is nothing bad I can say about it. I am a graphic design student and this book is very inspiring, I can only say that is an excellent read. I have learn more from this book than any graphic design professor I have had.