Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 7, 2010
David Airey has nailed the topic of logo / identity design right on the head!

I have been fortunate enough to have a handful of my logos featured in a few best selling books. By no means do I consider myself an expert, but instead (just as every designer should be): a constant learner. Success is fleeting and then it's back to the drawing board to try and repeat the process. Just as every designer with a beating heart, I have questioned my design process, my pricing, my abilities, and my skill at negotiating with the client. Logo Design Love gave me the confidence to say: "You know what? I'm doing ok, but here's what I'm going to work on..." David Airey has come as close to mastering the topic as one can and he translates his methods flawlessly into an easy to understand series of steps that are sure to get your designs on the right track every-time. I am pleased to say that though I have been using much the same approach as David when constructing logos, I took some very valuable tips and strategies away from this that I can not wait to apply to my next identity design!

Perhaps the best thing about this book is that it can serve as the perfect way to educate your client on the concept and process of logo design! 2009 found many of my clients consistently trying to pit my prices against crowd-sourcing sites even though there was absolutely no comparison in the quality and level of service between us...AND IT'S FRUSTRATING! VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING! You must remember that to the average client: a logo is just a logo and therefore shouldn't cost that much to create...to make matters worse, we designers have collectively pandered to this mentality instead of correcting it. This book, when given to your client, will correct it! I am going to buy a handful of copies and every-time I start a new identity design I will supply the client with this book as a cornerstone of education and communication on the topic to ensure that we are on the same page. If you like the idea of having a smoother client-designer relationship, you'd be smart to do the same. I managed to read the book in two sittings, so don't worry, it will not delay the process, but will undoubtedly save much time and frustration. Thank you David Airey for such a valuable contribution!
33 comments57 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
Like another reviewer mentioned, I bought this book hoping to gain new insight on the thinking process behind designing logos and such. My favorite section of the book is where the author explains how designers use mind maps to draft ideas before turning to use the computer.

However, when it came to showcasing different logos, it almost came across as advertising how great the respective designer(s) were for coming up with the different logo designers, and consequently how successful the company did after the re-branding effort. There was the problem (logo was boring), and then the solution (designer drew up some ideas and voila, a cool logo was implemented)...but what I really wanted to know was the thought process in between these two steps!

All in all, a good read with some useful tips
0Comment29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's fairly short and to the point and will hold your attention unlike a lot of books I have purchased in this category. I wasn't sure I needed it at first. I have quite a few books on my bookshelf on this subject, some that I have never been able to stomach for more than a few pages. This book is not one that will sit on your shelf unread. It's chock full of useful, real life business advice for the freelance designer. David also walks you through his identity design process using real examples. This is everything I wanted to learn in school, but never did. If you are a graphic designer and you haven't read this, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.
on April 8, 2013
Logo Design Love by David Airey is a welcome addition to my newly budding collection of design books.

Previously, I had bought another logo book that included ample examples of logos with wholly unrelated text and spatters of quotes, meant to stimulate speculation as opposed to provide instruction. Conversely, Airey's book provided text that was engaging, sequential, and meaningful in addition to providing some stellar pictorial examples of state-of-the-art logos. Airey's choice of logos used mostly artistic typeface, but were none the less brilliant, while the book itself flowed in a friendly manner.

Although well over 45% of the book covers the business aspects of design, such as the how-to of presenting and leading design projects to clients, David Airey wrote these sections as if he were writing a letter to a dear friend. Indeed, Airey's warm tone of voice made the business components inviting, irrespective of how much background the reader might already have with presenting deliverables to the client.

With that said, the highlights of the book for me included the following:

1. The chapter providing brainstorming/mind mapping techniques for coming up with various words associated to general themes or concepts surrounding the company.

2. The multitude of examples of the evolving sketches that comprised a fundamental part of the design process.

3. The instruction on how to make a compelling logo design, including such advice as keeping it simple, singularly focused, and black-and-white (for the initial concept).

4. The amazing examples of state-of-the-art logo designs, including snippets of proposed design(s) along with the client approved design.

5. The straightforward advice on using Illustrator or vector graphic software for logo design and on using Photoshop for showing the logos on various media, such as business cards, the side of a truck, and so forth.

Although Airey's book can be read in a matter of days, it provides a wide breadth of information on the design process, most notably written as if intended to be read by a beloved friend.

(A recommended book for designers to purchase in addition to Logo Design Love is called Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. Krause's book is often used in design courses as it provides great instructional depth on the basics of design, including logo design.)
on January 15, 2010
David's book is more than a guide to creating iconic brand identities, is a guide to be a more successful graphic designer in anyway. The book was easy to follow and there is nothing bad I can say about it. I am a graphic design student and this book is very inspiring, I can only say that is an excellent read. I have learn more from this book than any graphic design professor I have had.
on March 14, 2010
A very practical guide to dealing with clients and designing logos. Really gives a look into Airey's process and his open view of the process is really helpful. You never feel as though you're not being let in on something. The writing style is very friendly.

My only criticism is length. I felt like a bit more could have been elaborated on. However, the length really added to the friendly, open feel of the book, so I can't dock it too much.

Overall, if you are looking for a quick read about modern logo design and have some questions on how to design logos, this book is perfect.
on February 16, 2012
Others have extolled the virtues of this book, and they are all true, so I won't get into that. This review is concerned more with the Kindle version of the book, and a caution to purchase the actual book instead of the Kindle version.

While the Kindle version has all the basic content in that the words and pictures exist, they are formatted in a very plain, in-line format. In other words, there's no format at all, really, which is difficult since this book is about design. For those of us who are visual and appreciate the design of the book, it makes for a more difficult read. Much of the mood of the book gets lost in the plain formatting of the Kindle version.

Unless you're dying to have a digital copy, or unless you need the book immediately and can't wait for shipping, purchase the actual paper book; it better communicates the author's vision and message.
on May 3, 2011
I've done some graphic and web design in the past as part of a different job, but I'm now changing careers and will eventually be doing mostly freelance design. There are a lot of books out there that show you great designs, or that discuss only the more technical aspects of design. But this book is unique in that it not only shows you brilliant works of design and branding, but shares the creative process behind them, focusing specifically on the critical task of creating brand identities that are lasting, relevant, and pleasing to any given client.

This book is visually inspiring while also being a great read... the perfect blend of eye candy and rich information! I'm about halfway through right now, and even if this was the end of the book, I would think it was worth picking up. But just when I think it can't get any better, I read a few pages more and love it even more. David Airey just does a great job of demystifying some of the more daunting aspects of branding. Obviously I'm a beginner, but I have to believe that even seasoned designers who aren't as experienced in branding would find this very useful. Anyway, enough gushing. Get it. Love it.
on June 9, 2010
The favorite books on my shelf, in all subjects, are always small. Small does not mean scant. My favorite small books are always incredibly dense, and have dispensed with extraneous chapters, trivial pursuits, and needless diversions. David Airey's "Logo Design Love" is such a book. It is a comprehensive survey of the logo design process. It's easy to read quickly. It's lovely to hold. It has that "now this is a book I want to keep" feel to it, and is reserved on my shelf in my favorites section. Or "favourites" as David might put it.

I know David from his blog. His personal, conversational tone on his blog bleeds right over to the book. Warm yet consummately professional. He tells you what you need to know about logo design, and refrains from abstruse pontificating that some other "Goliath" design books get mired in. That is very refreshing!

If you are looking to break into the designing of logos and brands, there is no better book I'm aware of to do that succinctly, on budget, and on time, than Logo Design Love. Big things do come in little packages sometimes!

Highly Recommended!

Douglas Bonneville
[...].
on January 3, 2010
This book is a must read for both designers who work in the field of brand identity design and clients (those who hire designers) looking to have a firm understanding of the process and importance of what a logo should (and shouldn't be) -- timeless, memorable, relevant and simple.

The author, David Airey, has a very friendly approach to his writing style, which makes for an easy and enjoyable read from start to finish. He walks us through well researched background information and takes us step by step through a successful and intelligent creative process. Following his advice and process is certain to lead to a successful logo.

The author even answers many great questions towards the end of the book that pertain to pricing, dealing with clients, and how to "seal the deal" -- and a bunch more. Perfect for students and designers that are new to the field and have many "unsolved" questions.

Even the authors blog [...] is a great compliment of resource to this valuable book.

Overall, an enjoyable, helpful and insightful read.