4.0 out of 5 stars Great for bright sunny days!
Published on April 23, 2010 by Karen E.

3.0 out of 5 stars slow film has its place
Hey guys, rather than complain and say, my pictures were crappy because of this crappy slow film, use a tripod. Great images aren't free. If you're shooting fast moving subjects, then you're using the wrong film for the job at hand.
Digital spoils us fast, I guess.
Published on October 17, 2009 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for bright sunny days!, April 23, 2010
This review is from: Lomography 603 35 mm 100/36 ISO Fine Color Negative Film - Pack of 3 (Red) (Camera)
I bought this film with the purpose of using it with a Diana Mini camera, a lot of people discouraged me of buying it because it's ISO 100 (slow type of film), but since I live in a place where is bright and sunny at least 300 days of the year I decided to give it a try. I was not dissapointed at all, the pictures had vivid colors and there where no grainy photos whatsoever!

I must highlight that this film is best suited for bright and sunny days where it works best, if your intention is to take shots at night without a tripod go with ISO 800 or higher, or if you pretend to take pictures indoors and outdoors use the ISO 400.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best consumer film I've used to date, June 26, 2014
Background: I am an amateur photographer (some paid gigs, but I don't make a living out of it) and wanted to do a more in depth review of this film. I shoot 35mm as a hobby and live in the bright sun of Arizona, so I wanted to see how this film worked primarily as an alternative to Kodak Gold 200, the other inexpensive film option. I do not actually shoot on Lomo cameras, and wanted to see how this would work in traditional 35mm SLR's and rangefinders. For this review I am testing the film with my Canon A1 and various lenses (20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 55mm f1.2) to see if it works as a general use film, and will update this review later using a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and Contax G1. Personally I do not have an interest in lots of grain, light leaks, or unpredictable results, and will be reviewing the film as it compares to other general use negative films.

Film overview: Lomography themselves do not actually make film. Instead, they rebrand other film types and sell them under their own brand. I have heard that these are usually expired films, which gives them their signature “look” (higher grain, color shifts, unpredictable exposures). The expiration date was labeled on the package as 1/2016. You can tell who the original manufacturer of the film is by checking the 6 digit serial number below the barcode. Mine was 114034, making it a repackage of the Italian film Solaris by Ferrania. That makes this film quite a value, as rolls of that type are normally $7 each, and this package gets you 3 rolls for $8. I will compare this lomo repackage to Ektar 100, Kodak Gold 200, and lastly samples of Solaris 100 that I have found on the web.

Film Performance for Prints:
For my developing and prints I use Costco. Great prices and generally good results. The print quality of this film was surprisingly good. There were no lightleaks that I saw (there was one at the beginning of the roll, but that's an issue with my camera), and the colors were quite good. Reds, greens, and blues are strong, with yellows being slightly muted and oranges seem optimized for skin tones. Overall colors aren't too saturated (though not as much as Ektar), and contrast is strong but with good dynamic range. You get great skintones even when shot at the golden hour, which is nice. Most of my shots had a Skylight filter on them which softened the orange, but they looked great without as well. There is minimal grain that showed up in my shots, much less than with other cheap films I've used. For more saturated prints I recommend underexposing slightly (about 1/3rd to 1/2 stops), as overexposure seems to make colors less saturated. For true to life prints, this film is very good. Very little grain visible, no light leaks, great realistic colors (if not super saturated), good contrast, and predictable exposures. I'm very impressed.

Film Performance Scanned: For scanning the film I used an Epson v500 with the standard scanning utility. The settings I used were 3200DPI, low grain reduction, low unsharpening mask, and high digital ICE. The rest of the settings were default. The saved TIF files were then processed in Lightroom 5 with the prints as a reference for how I want the colors to look, though with some variations in WB and exposure. Scans came out pretty flat (low contrast and saturation), though with very high exposure lattitude. This is good, because it means you can adjust them to your liking. Perhaps the colors don't pop right away as Ektar does, but they are easier to dial in with just contrast and saturation and not extensive white balance and hue adjustments. Even scanned there is very little grain, and here I would say it looks every bit as sharp and detailed at Ektar does. That's very impressive to me, and I am quite happy with the way these scan.

FilmPerformance vs other brands:
I would say that this film is quite a bit better than standard Kodak Gold or Fuji Superia branded 200 film. Although it is a stop slower (advantageous in my case), the prints look nicer and the scans are fantastic as well. Colors are much more accurate here, with oranges in particular being more true to life. I wouldn't say the colors are more saturated, but they have a much nicer look in my opinion. The contrast is similar, but the shadows and highlights have more detail overall (but still good contrasts). Grains are very minimal in comparison to Gold and Superia. The Lomo film scans much better, with less grain and easier to edit colors.

The big competition here is Ektar, to which I would say I still prefer Ektar for prints, because the colors from Ektar are quite a bit more interesting. Think of this Lomo film as more of a Porta 160. Scans though they go pretty close, and if you are creative enough you can get them to be just as good as Ektar. Samples online from Solaris look identical, meaning that this film is just a rebrand and not an expired version of that film.

Pros:
Lowest price film I've found
100 speed is great for bright scenes and wider apertures
36 shots a roll vs 24 normally
DX coded for digital 35mm cameras, automatically sets film speed
Very true to life colors, great primary colors and skin tones
Prints look great, very good contrast and exposures
Scans extremely well, almost equal to Ektar

Cons:
For the price, none
Less saturated than other 100 speed films

Side Notes:
For a higher saturated look, manually set your film speed to 125 or 160. This will make the colors pop a bit more, and give you deeper blacks

Conclusion: Overall at this price point I can't fault this film at all. It has bested my expectations, and I will certainly be ordering more in the future. This is the best consumer grade film I've used, and also the cheapest. I much prefer 100 film over 200 because of the sunny conditions I typically shoot in, and it certainly beats out both Kodak Gold 200 and Fuji Superia 200. Overall I think Ektar is still a better film and my personal favorite, but at current prices (~$10 a roll) this Lomo film comes in at less than a third of the price. If you were ever hesitant on ordering this film because of the Lomo name, I would suggest you give it a try and be pleasantly surprised.

I will update this review when used with Contax and Minolta Maxxum glass, but for Canon FD I am thoroughly impressed and will be using this film much more in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is..., March 20, 2011
I purchased a three-pack of this film mainly as a curiosity to see if it lived up to its "fine color" description. I shot several rolls with a Canon AE-1 (using the "program" setting as well as a few higher shutter speeds) and results for the most part were pretty nice.

As mentioned elsewhere, you'll need ample light to get the most of your shots. Outdoor shots in bright daylight yielded some great pictures though the degree of color saturation depends largely on what you're shooting. The richer the subject color the more distinct the images will tend to be I've noticed. Backyard shots of our dogs (2 black labs & a German shepherd) against a green yard looked great for example, whereas shots of our kids playing at the park didn't appear any more saturated than shots taken using regular garden-variety film.

For what it costs, it certainly doesn't hurt to try - good light and a color-rich subject will definitely make it worth the outlay.

3.0 out of 5 stars slow film has its place, October 17, 2009
Amazon Customer (Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Digital spoils us fast, I guess.

4.0 out of 5 stars NEW FIL BUT..., March 21, 2014
April kid "aprilkid" (Cerritos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was expecting a better performance of this new film. in particular when I got the 100ASA but the excessive grain does not equal like the old brands. Color is very decent. Perhaps I am missing the old KODAK film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price for the quality, February 23, 2014
Definitely not the highest quality film. I mostly use this film for experimenting when I'm not willing to spend $8 on a roll of Kodak Ektar. Overall it gets the job done and is an ok quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this film, August 31, 2014
I like this film. I like the results from it, and it's a great value. I'm not sure if this is actually repackaged Ferrania Solaris film or not, but I can verify that the manufacturer code on this film lists it as made by Ferrania. Ferrania Solaris used to run about $6 or $7 a roll, which would make this an awesome value. Either way I like the film, and will order some more.

2.0 out of 5 stars hard to get sharp pics with this, April 11, 2014
I've shot a lot of 100 speed film over the years. I have a harder time getting sharp pics out of this film than others I've tried. The color pallete of this film is a little different than your typical Kodak or Fuji film, so if you want a little different look and feel to your pics, this film is a possibility, but I can't recommend it if you're wanting to get sharp/well-defined details. About the time I shot a couple rolls of this film, I shot a roll of expired Kodak 100 film and Agfa 100 slide film. I had much better results with the Kodak and Agfa than I had with fresh Lomo 100.

I also have shot the 120 format Lomo 100, and I have to say that I like that one more than the 35mm version. And I have tried the 35mm Lomo 800, which I really liked for indoor photography.

There's a mail order film developer place on the West Coast that does a nice job with the 800 speed Lomo, by the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not for me., January 15, 2015
Maybe I set my sights too high, but for 100 ISO, I was expecting better color and less grain. Maybe my exposures were off. Photography is subjective, and my opinion is that this film is economical but I'll try elsewhere in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars was extremely disappointed. There is something awry I feel with the ..., January 10, 2015
was extremely disappointed. There is something awry I feel with the quality of this film. It lacks flexibility and is quite fragile. On two cameras the advance was extremely problematic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›