Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
London's Lost Jewels: The Cheapside Hoard Paperback – November 26, 2013
Comic & Graphic Artists of Our Time
Explore these featured comic and graphic titles.Learn more.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
About the Author
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
- A very readable text.
- The unedifying story of how the Hoard was discovered and acquired for the museums that hold it today.
- A great deal of contextual information on jewellers, their business practices and their customers in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century England.
- Insight into what jewellery meant to people in that era.
- High-quality pictures of various items from the hoard.
- Reproductions of period artworks demonstrating how jewellery was worn.
- Insert texts with more detailed information on particular features of the Hoard (e.g. individual items or particular types of gemstones).
- No maps.
- No glossary.
- A cheap cover that marks quite easily.
- No real sense of how the items pictured in the book fit into the Hoard overall. Are they the best items, a representative sample, only a small percentage?
- An occasional lack of background information that would have made some of the narratives more comprehensible; e.g. in the chapter "A World Encompassed", more legal context would have been helpful. Also, following narratives through completely would have been better; e.g. If someone was "sentenced to hang"' were they actually executed, or is that as far as specific knowledge goes?
- I would have preferred more information on the technical process of jewellery-making.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Digging in London, workers find a box of buried jewelry probably hidden in a cellar floor before the 1666 Great Fire of London. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Linda A. D-R
Really useful book. Probably one of the first well-illustrated (and this is a subject that requires illustrations) books on the Cheapside Hoard (or late 16th century European... Read morePublished 11 months ago by S. Ruth N.
This is a beautiful and fascinating book. Truly a treasure story.Published 14 months ago by Meredith Miskowich
Gives information on the Cheapside Hoard that is hard to find elsewhere.Published 17 months ago by Gwendo
While this subject matter is somewhat obscure - anyone interested in English history of the 1600s and the historical basis of much of the way jewelry is made and labelled even... Read morePublished 17 months ago by Kata