4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Fun Read!
In Lone Star Legend by Gwendolyn Zepeda the Latina heroine Dominga Saavedra a.k.a. Sandy S. is a serious young writer for a respected web site LatinoNow as well as the keeper of an anonymous personal blog My Modern TragiComedy. All of this changes when LatinoNow is transformed into Nacho Papi, a gossipy Latino web site.

The novel follows Sandy S.'s dance with...
Published on January 17, 2010 by LegalBeagle

3.0 out of 5 stars Emotions on the Web
I have been placed in situations where I had to choose between my family and my job. My morals would not allow me to put a job first. I have walked away from a couple of positions for that reason. However, when you are young and just starting out like Sandy Saavedra, the main character in Lone Star Legend by Gwendolyn Zepeda, you may see things a little differently...
Published on April 14, 2010 by Jennifer Coissiere "Th...

4.0 out of 5 stars Reading At The Beach: Reviews, January 29, 2010
This review is from: Lone Star Legend (Paperback)
I've never read a book about a blogger before, so this was very interesting to me. Sandy was very likable, as were most of the other characters. This is a book that you can relate to about your own blogging life, work life and relationships and you find yourself drawn into the book. The author has added a lot of humor and that was also a very big plus to me. The main thing I liked about this book was how "real" Zepeda made the characters. I think there's a little of Tio Jaime in so many of our own grandfathers or neighbors. I also liked the fact that Sandy wanted to stay true to her beliefs in her personal and professional lives, and that each chapter started with an entry from her "blog" and sometimes a few comments. This was the first book I've read by this author, but now I really want to read another book of hers, "Houston, We Have A Problema".

4.0 out of 5 stars Blogger Book, April 30, 2010
This review is from: Lone Star Legend (Paperback)
I entered a giveaway and won this lighthearted, behind-the-scenes look at a professional writer who maintains two blogs and writes for an online Latina gossip magazine. Using a pseudonym, Sandy S. writes about her life and lives to regret it when she becomes a bit of a celebrity. The situation is reversed as others gossip about her, revealing her true identity. Sandy's privacy evaporates.

The theme is a warning to all bloggers and online writers: if you don't want people to know what you think, don't publish your thoughts. Guard your privacy.

The characters are well written, and although the plot is a bit expected, I think that this is a book worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zepeda's Best Yet, February 3, 2010
Avid Reader (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Star Legend (Paperback)
Gwendolyn Zepeda gets better with each of her books. LoneStar Legend is a great read and Sandy's relationship with the Chupacabra adds depth to the story.

(By the way, if you need a good children's book -- her bi-lingual Growing Up with Tamales is one of the best I've seen lately.)Growing Up with Tamales/Los Tamales de Ana (Hardcover w/CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars plotless and slow, February 13, 2010
Lone Star Legend by Gwendolyn Zepeda
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: 2.5, DNF
Sandy S. has a second identity online--she blogs at a personal blog as Miss TragiComic Texas, and works for a website called Nacho Papi. Sandy is good at living her dual-identities and keeping them separate. But when people start connecting the the personal blog and the new website, and then recognizing her on the streets from the videos...
(From back of the book:) No matter how many passwords and aliases we use, there really is no such thing as privacy when you live your life online. Celebrities expect this, but what about the average person? Gwendolyn Zepeda's novel plays with this idea of public vs. private and what happens when those lines get crossed.
I found Lone Star Legend to be very slow. It was hard to get into, and even halfway through the book I wasn't sure what the actual plot line was.
There is a lot of drama. She breaks up with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend's students find her personal blog and her rants about him and it embarrasses him. People recognize her in the coffee shop from TV. The man she interviews on a whim becomes the new biggest internet phenomenon, but he doesn't want his photo on the t-shirts that she has already started to sell. These are just a few things that happen in the story, and none of it really leads anywhere.
And if a story doesn't lead anywhere, and I have no desire to finish it, I'm not going to. Because I could be reading other things.
With that in mind, my positive comments include these: Zepeda is a pretty good writer. The writing and the dialogue is witty and fresh and alive and pretty funny at times. There were some great lines, great scenarios, and great laugh-out-loud sections... there just weren't enough to keep me reading. The characters are well developed and defined and likeable, and it's a pretty enjoyable read... little bits at a time.
But Lone Star Legend just wasn't my thing, I guess. It kind of stinks, too, because I love the idea. As a blogger, people I know personally always tell me about stuff they read on my blog... but however much I wanted to enjoy it, I just couldn't get into it.

3.0 out of 5 stars BLOGGERS TAKE NOTE, January 24, 2010
LONE STAR LEGEND
Gwendolyn Zepeda
Grand Central Publishing
ISBN: 978-0-446-53960-9
$13.99 - Paperback
352 pages
Reviewer: Annie Slessman

If I were a blogger, which I am not, then I would have to say that LONE STAR LEGEND by Gwendolyn Zepeda would not have show up in the blog until almost the parting piece.
This book is slow to "get into" but picks up toward the end.

It is the story of Sandy Saavedra who writes a blog for a popular Latino website. She dates a man with a Phd and an ego that needs constant stroking. She still lives in an apartment above her mother's garage and has her heart set on obtaining her moment of fame as a writer.

It is an elderly man who places her name among the recognized and it is this man who she harms the most in her rise to fame.

This book takes on all kinds of relationships from parental, personal and working to relationships an adoring public. While the story is fairly classic in its content, its blogger format makes for an interesting new idea given today's popularity in blogging.

Don't expect this book to take you by storm. However, if you give it time, it does have meaningful value.

Lone Star Legend
Lone Star Legend by Gwendolyn Zepeda (Paperback - January 25, 2010)
$17.00 $15.30