Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 11, 2001
Ken Hodgson has penned a splendid and authentic look at one of the early west's most controversial and fascinating characters, Alfred Packer. Hodgson has a genius for catching the time and place, and for peering into the mind of a man who was accused of killing and eating his partners. This book is a very rewarding read.
on April 11, 2008
Al Packer had an interesting life once he left home. His search led across the prairie,across the sea,from the Florida swamps to the Colorado gold rush. Once he found gold life became a series of misadventures and a host of unbelievable yet true events that illuminate the times from 1860 to 1910.
Ken Hodgson is a western writer who writes a book you won't be able to put down without extreme anticipation. As they say: Truth is stranger than fiction.
on July 19, 2011
I grew up in the South and I knew a few weasels like Alfred Packer. He's the kind of good ole boy who'll come across as friendly and even charming. But if you start hanging with him, sooner or later, you'll probably get shafted because underneath the smooth exterior is a heart made out of cold gray steel. Packer would sell your soul for a dollar if it would come out to his advantage. And this guy actually lived and breathed. On the other hand, I've met some of the finest people I've ever known in the South--salt of the earth. But God deliver us from the Alfred Packers.
on October 21, 2012
It was my own fault....looking for a book about Packer, but didn't see that this book is FICTION. Why anyone would want to read a fictional portrayal of a real person, I can't say (On the other hand, that would be the ONLY way to make George Bush II seem intelligent).

I actually read three chapters before I realized this was crap. It did surprise me that a mountain man from the 1800's could write so well, but I kept reading.

Then I read Packer's claim that he had sailed on the Mary Celeste. AHA! THEN I turned the book around to see that it was all make believe. Yes, it was my fault. That said, if you enjoy untrue crap about real people, buy this book. If you think the tabloids report real news, you'll love this book.

My point is, I believe a "Forest Gump"-type story would be entertaining, IF the protagonist was an obvious fictional character. Since there is so little good information out there about Packer, why waste time writing a completely fictional account? Because he was a "bad" guy? What would the reviews be like for a fictional portrayal of Abraham Lincoln as a child molester? Or Martin Luther King as a wife beater? Or Mother Theresa as a prostitute?
on January 10, 2011
I really enjoyed this book but wonder how much is fiction. After a little research
I discovered Al Packard joined the army when he was 20 yrs old not 14. He was discharged for suffering from epilepsy, not blowing 2 fingers off. Also there is no record of him ever going to sea. So I question the authenticity of the manuscript that the author found.Still a good read though.
on December 16, 2014
This was suspenseful, with a pretty good use of the unreliable narrator. Worth a read if you're into Wild West murder stories.
on September 15, 2004
This is a quick read, because the book grabs your attention from the first page and is very hard to put down until the very end. I don't know whether Alferd Packer is telling the truth, but the story is very interesting nonetheless. I loved this book and recommended it to several people.
on July 22, 2003
Alferd Packer a survivior of the high lonesome did what was necessary to live. This story is very well done and leaves the reader somewhat in shock at the very end. Poor Al Packer can not win even in death.
on March 24, 2016
It was just as described.
on August 13, 2001
Couldn't put it down! Mr. Hodgson truly takes his readers on a marvelous trek through the trials and tribulations of Al Packer. Mr. Packer, a little known character of the old west was a man of many ups and downs. His life will give you greater respect for your own, you can't help but think, "what else can go wrong?" Enjoyed it so well, I can't wait for "Hard Bounty" to come out. Keep up the great work, Ken!