Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on February 9, 2006
this is the first film in a series of 6 movies that has some of the best sword and kung-fu play in any other movie you will ever see. lone wolf worked for the shogun as his excutioner until the shogun goes crazy and has lone wolf's family killed. his young son is saved and the two start down the road of revenge and become hit men of their time to eat.

this is bloody and not for the kids, but for adults this is one of the better kung-fu movies out there. the action must be seen to be believed. not to be missed
on August 1, 2008
I'm not the most impartial critic: in the early seventies, I was serving in the Navy, stationed in Japan. I was trying to learn to speak Japanese and watched a lot of Japanese television to try to get the pronunciation right. At the time, Kosure Ogami was a big hit TV series there. I became addicted. Withdrawal came when I rotated back to the 'States.

I knew they had made a movie based on the TV series, poorly overdubbed in English and released in this country as "Lightning Swords of Death". I'd seen it in a theater, and been disappointed (the overdubbing, as I said, was not very good).

A few weeks ago, a friend and I were discussing martial arts movies and it got me to thinking. I Googled "Lightning Swords of Death" and wound up on Amazon, looking at not just one, but a box set of SIX Kosure Ogami films, which I promptly bought.

I've since watched all six. Ogami Itto is still the best swordsman in Japan. Daigoro is still a sharp kid. The (obviously) fake blood still flows like water - special effects were never the series' strong suite. But the poor English overdubs have been replaced with English subtitles - the original Japanese soundtrack is intact. It was taken from really good prints - the video and audio quality are excellent.

Is this great cinematic art? No. But it is an interesting story, fairly-well acted, with some of the best-choreographed swordplay ever filmed. I think I got my money's worth and more.
on January 11, 2011
This box is a must-have for anyone with an interest in martial arts and samurai action. All six movies can be seen individually, but for the best experience, I would recommend viewing them in order.

Itto Ogami, the main character is arguably the coolest person ever in movies. He was the shogunates assassin, responsible for helping people who commit seppuku (ritual suicide by slicing open the gut) die a less painful death, by decapitating them.

Ogami is a true master of sword fighting as well as fighting in general. He pushes around a baby cart containing his only son (about 3-4 years of age) along with an arsenal of hidden weapons. I will not reveal just how cool the cart really is, but trust me, it is cool.

The red thread in the movies is revenge. Ogami wants to revenge his wife's and servant's deaths and clean his clan name by killing the evil Yagyu clan members lead by Retsudu. They don't give up easily and Ogami has to fight hordes of Yagyu people as well as an assorted group of other persons wanting to kill him.

Highly recommended.
on February 27, 2013
AKA the Baby Cart Series. So, there are two schools of fans for these movies: those who love the dubs and those who love the subs. I've never seen the dubs and probably never will considering this release does not include them (there is a completely separate release by a separate distributor from a separate negative, for those. It's under the title: Shogun Assassin. You know, like in Kill Bill). BUT... if you're a fan a the subtitled original versions of this crazy six movie grind-house samurai saga, this is the set for you, boys and girls. The transfers kick ass, they look freakin' great, better than ever, especially considering the age of the sources. Blu Ray purists (I can't believe that's a thing) may gawk at three movies a disc and the fact that they went slightly overboard with the digital noise reduction, but so what? They're 1080p in original aspect ratios, the subs are clean and the sound's pretty damn good. This may not be Criterion quality, but neither are the movies. They look better than they ever have before and that's enough for me.
on November 28, 2012
Beautiful transfers. I would have been happier for more extras, but such a good deal there is just no complaining.
on January 25, 2013
I own the Shogun Assassin DVD's and had been planning on buying the Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's when word of the BLU RAY was coming I waited.

I am glad I did. I got all 6 films for a very good price. There are no real extras but you do get all 6 films! The image quality is very good and although they did use some DNR(digital noise reduction) it is not overboard like some films(Predator Ultimate Hunter edition....)
Animeigo in my opinion does some of the best sub-titles in the business and this is no exception.
Overall I am very pleased and would only buy a newer set if it was totally remastered and had some extras. If you like chambara and/or are a fan of Kozure Ookami then buy this set.
on December 7, 2013
This series of films about a samurai betrayed and seeking revenge features good story lines, good photography, and good acting. Even the little boy who plays Daigoro, the samurai's son, is pretty good considering his young age.

These films deserve a blue ray treatment because the photography of the Japanese countryside is quite good.

There are six films in the series and all are good. This is a solid set of disks for samurai fans.

In real life the lead actor, Tomisaburo Wakayama, is the brother of the more famous Shintaro Katsu who is the lead in the 26 films of the Zatoichi series. The two brothers were both good actors their series are both classics.
on October 12, 2012
I've only watched the first film so far and it's true that they removed some of the starkness from the picture quality
but i think it's compensated for by the overall look of the thing now.
It's absolutely beautiful as far as colour and black levels go.I've watched these films many times on tape and dvd and they always looked very good,especially for their age but they look amazing now.
I did take 1 star away for the dnr because it shouldn't have been done but it's a must buy for fans as these films are my favourite samarai films with the zatoichi series being second.
Daigoro!
on January 28, 2013
The quality is decent enough for the BLURAY trasnfers here given the price. HOWEVER I really wish there were extra features of ANY kind. And the case containing the discs is quite flimsy, so beware of damage during shipment/handling, because if the packaging gets squished in ANY way or the discs get knocked loose from their very flimsy slots in the case... it's scratches and dings galore. Not bad, but not great either. Oh well.
on February 28, 2013
I own several versions of the Lone Wolf Series including VHS, DVD, VCD, etc...

The quality is simply AMAZING, very BRIGHT and very detailed.

Worth every penny, I would have paid $100+ for the same series.

This is the japanese version with english subs (as it should be) and not the "Shogun Assassin" which combined 2 films into one.

THANK YOU!