Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on April 2, 2003
This book has all the information you need, to prepare you for a wonderful vacation in Berlin. It's the kind of book that you curl up with near the fire on a cold snowy winter day and read about the trip you'll take during the summer. But--------- there are better guides for those individuals who have travelled in Europe before and who just want the nuts and bolts and will allow the city to visit them. I personally recommend either DK (Dorling Kindersley) Eyewitness Guide to Berlin or the slightly older Knopf 'City Guide' published last in 1998. However with Berlin changing so rapidly, you'll probably do better with the DK guide. It has more photos which aren't essential, but are a nice added feature but more importantly it breaks the city up in a better way to help you get the most out of your time. I think it's much better.
on October 15, 2001
This map would probably be nice for tourists who are *only* going to see the Stadt Mitte around the Tiergarten, Checkpoint Charlie, and the other touristy stuff. However, you can probably get a map that's just as good at this stuff from your hotel for free, save the mini-German lesson that's printed on the map. If you buy the Lonely Planet Berlin handbook, which is probably a better investment, you won't need this map. If you want to see things that aren't the everyday touristy stuff, you need a bigger map. Get one with Postdam on it and buy it when you get to Berlin. You'll save cash and the frustration of having a map that makes Berlin look like a Dorf (small village).
on May 17, 2011
The body text links you to a map, but the maps only have numbers on them without any legend telling you what each number represents. How are we supposed to know where to find the described venues?

The iBookstore version is much easier to use, especially with maps.
on November 3, 2011
So I reordered it! I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of information and the quality; this isn't a simple, make-money-quick effort but an attempt to give a very thorough idea of what you will see in Berlin and what its significance is, and it does go off the beaten track to explore parts of Berlin that other guidebooks don't seem to. I'm really enjoying the details about architecture, though it covers all sorts of things and isn't really written just for travelers in their 20s, like many similar books are. A more detailed map that can be flipped through rather than unfolded (how much do you want to shout "Ich bin ein tourist! Come and rob me!") would be welcome, but I'm looking forward to reading another book in the same series, and I'd definitely recommend it.
on April 30, 2011
We used this guide for two weeks in Berlin, then passed it on to relatives who were staying on there. It is as well organized,easy to use and worthwhile as a guide could be. Virtually every
restaurant recommendation we took from it turned out be superb. In one case, Cafe Jacques, we were asked by the restaurant waitstaff and other diners how we found this excellent, but
somewhat hidden Kreuzberg neighborhood eatery. The book made everything easy to find and quick to get to. I would give it five stars.
on June 16, 2009
It is a very complete guide, with all kinds of information, the maps could be bigger and folded.
on December 26, 2012
This guidebook is borderline worthless. Save yourself the money and just use tripadvisor. I've been to Berlin before, and were it not for that I'd have no idea what to do based on this book. Unlike other lonely planet guides, this book doesn't have recommended tours or top recommendations (it if does they're difficult to find). Just look at the table of contents to get a feel for how lousy this book is.
on October 27, 2008
My husband and I had never been to Berlin and were planning to visit for 3 days only. Berlin Encounter by Lonely Planet was the best travel guide ever. It was right on the dot for everything: places to see, where to eat, and how to manage your time. I recommended HIGHLY!
on October 13, 2010
Just came back from 10 days in Berlin. I found this guide excellent except for the section on places to sleep. There are millions of reasonably-priced places to sleep and more space should have been devoted to this. Additionally, the guide needed more on places to eat, though the problem here may be that Berlin isn't the best city to go for good eats. But the main reason to travel to Berlin is to take in the history and culture and the arts and to see the city, and this guide is excellent in this respect. Public transportation in Berlin is excellent, so the key to having a good experience is simply to look through this guide for what interests you and then plan your days.
on September 17, 2012
I have been a fan of Lonely Planet for many years, but I was seriously disappointed with this guidebook. The recommendations for restaurants were down right wrong in most cases and steered us toward chains and unsavory places. The maps were hard to use and were not in good locations in reference to the reviews and the book lacked basic information about transportation.