Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on February 12, 2011
I always travel with a Lonely Planet guidebook. This past trip to the Yucatan we used a combination of Lonely Planet and Frommers and got along fine. I will say, however, that getting the guidebook on the kindle was a mistake. The maps were too hard to see. Also, unlike when I read a novel, when I use a guidebook I flip around constantly. That is not easy to do on an ereader. I recommend Lonely Planet if you are going to the Yucatan, but not the kindle version.
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2009
While there is nothing specifically "wrong" with it per se, the Lonely Planet Yucatan guide falls a bit short. The details are a bit sparse and the book is aimed a little more toward the backpacker crowd than I was looking for. Mexico is inexpensive enough (outside of the resort areas, that is) that one can "splurge" a bit on food and lodging while still paying budget prices, by U.S. standards ... so the bare-bones focus of Lonely Planet was not quite what I was looking for.

Again, while not the worst guide on the Yucatan, there are better out there. My favorite was the Moon guide, with the Rough Guide falling a close second. Those books have more detail, have livelier writing, and better recommendations. The Lonely Planet books have been a great resource on many of my travels, but in this case, it fell a bit short.
on January 17, 2011
We bought this guidebook for a recent trip to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. I found the section on that area to be extremely small and poorly researched, with only restaurants on or near the main tourist strip of 5th Ave to be featured, and pratically no local or even slightly off the beaten path eating places that any local or frequent traveller to the city would recommend, and not a good overall description of PDC and what it offers, which we found out for ourselves by trial and error. In terms of things to do, the information on side trips such as snorkeling in Cozumel and trips to Chichen Itza was totally inadequate. This is the first time I have been so disappointed in a Lonley Planet guidebook. Next time I will do more research and make sure I am getting the best guidebook for the region.
on May 9, 2011
Having used Lonely Planet Guides on past occasions, the Cancun, Cozumel and Yucatan fell short of what I expected. It lacked depth and the recommendations for restaurants in particular were not very exciting. Nevertheless, I still recommend it as a supplementary reference to additional research.
on January 23, 2011
I brought this book before my trip to Cancun. It was fine for a general overview and history of the region, but for practical information it was just OK and often worse -- especially for a book whose spine reads "100% researched & updated." Some of the information was outdated -- such as the name of and admission for a couple parks on Isla Mujeres, and a restaurant that just no longer existed in Tulum. At other times it was inaccurate, like the kilometer markings of some sights on the way to Tulum. Unless the Mexican government has renumbered its entire highway system since this book came out, I think Lonely Planet just got it wrong. The book's food recommendations were skimpy and its snorkel recommendations (at least for Isla Mujeres) were disappointing. It made frequent mention of how damaging tourism has been for the area's environment and traditional Mayan culture, and gave some examples of ways to support the local economy. But other times it would offer no helpful alternatives. For example, there is a section about a lot of the enormous snorkel/zip-lining/outdoor aquarium parks that have sprung up, like Xel-Ha and Xcaret, and it points out that they are all overpriced and have questionable environmental records. It then says there are better and cheaper alternatives, but it won't tell you what those alternatives are. You can infer a few of them by subsequent recommendations in the book, but the book could have done better to identify and highlight these options.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2009
I felt like the guide could have had more detail in terms of budget hotels or hostels. I ended up staying in places I found on that weren't even listed in the Lonely Planet guide. In terms of scuba diving in Cozumel, the book listed only two recommendations, including the random name of a person the writer had met back in 2006 when he was doing his research. Turns out there are over one hundred dive shops in Cozumel that offer to take people out on trips of varying lengths.

The food suggestions in the guidebook were good. The maps of the cities were helpful as were the transportation information tables. The descriptions of the ruins weren't enough to go by without hiring a guide. Still, it was better than the Frommer's guidebook that my sister brought with her.
on May 7, 2012
I read this book before travelling to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum. I appreciate the maps and the recommendations.
One of the recommended restaurants in Tulum didn't exist anymore, and some of the information turned out not to be exactly correct (there is a lot of toplessness at Mexican beaches, actually, lonely planet)- but the insider, candid information was really helpful.
I would also appreciate information on how renting a car works, etc- practical tourist info, not just the insider scoop on the best tortas.
on February 8, 2013
Loads of details in the book, but I went off on an adventure to over a dozen Zona Archelogica; I didn't just stay along the riviera Maya. There would've been some handy things to know, like there's that there's some long stretches of major road without a gas station (between Chichen itza until the outskirts of Merida for example). More detailed maps of some towns would've been handy. And anytime there are ruins off a major road rather than just saying at KM marker 280, it would've been handier to see it.

I'll definitely bring this book next time I go, but I'm also going to get an atlas.
on December 19, 2011
It is now confirmed. Lonely planet has lost it and this makes me so sad. My first LP guide was the classic Southeast Asia on a shoe string bought for a 3 month trip in 1991. Later I continued to be a devoted fan as they guided me throughout the world. As I graduated from their Shoestring series, I enjoyed their wide range of recommendations from the cheap to the high end. I liked their opinionated and well written descriptions and their up to date information. The last good LP book I bought was the India guide in 2004. Things changed when they went to thicker paper and more pictures. A few years ago we used them for a trip to Alaska and then a trip to Switzerland. We also bought their most recent Pacific Northwest guide. All of these did not meet expectations with inaccurate information and dull recommendation, but we kept giving them another try. We were in denial.

No more. This guide was truly bad. We used it mostly for out of the way places such as Campeche, Celestun and Calakmul. The high end end recommendations were not worth it, 50% of the restaurants mentioned in the book that we tried to find were closed or the directions to them were inaccurate. Truly great places that were newer (but opened well before the publication date) were not in the guide. A road that had been paved for years was described as 4WD only. The prices were 2-4 fold off (in both directions). At the one tourist beach area we went to, Tulum they somehow decided that it wasn't really worth it to check out many of the places and the recommendations were very limited. We should have known that this guide was bad when we saw the cover. Chichen Itza has been spoiled by tour buses and touts. It is the type of place that one used to buy a LP guide to avoid. RIP LP.
on October 23, 2013
I was sorely disappointed with this brand of travel books. I bought this along with three others for my trip to Mexico and in comparison to the others, the information here was limited and at times, outdated. It even listed two businesses that were no longer in business and no one down there knew of them.