5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and Concise
Published on June 4, 2012 by P. Budd

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful
I did not find the phrasebook very helpful. The layout by category I thought would be convenient, but did not seem user friendly. The dictionary section also did not make sense to me. It included "pap smear" but not "walnuts", I'm not sure who needs to know how to say "pap smear" on vacation.....
Published 18 months ago by julie smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and Concise, June 4, 2012
P. Budd (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
In the age of IPhone/Droid translator apps, you might think there's little need for a hard copy language guide. In preparing for a September trip to France, I wanted to gain a basic knowledge of common phrases to avoid the awkwardness of pulling out a Droid for something as simple as ordering a cup of coffee and a croissant. The Lonely Planet guide fits the bill perfectly, particulary with the clear pronunciation breakdown for each phrase. Small enough to carry around in the months before your trip for study breaks. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the trick, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
I had a hard time choosing a phrase book for my recent vaycay. There were a lot of conflicting opinions online so I wanted to make sure I reviewed this for the next vacationer looking for a phrase book.
Me: very basic French (I know like three verbs, but have decent pronunciation), staying in paris with no plans to travel to suburbs or rural areas where English is less pervasive, traveling by metro not cabs, using train to visit Benelux cities so may need help with directions in train station.
This book met my needs and was easy fun to use. The pronunciation guide was perfect, the color coded sections made finding what I needed quick&easy (especially when I was trying to play it cool in cafes), there wasn't a phrase I needed that wasn't in the book, it was small and not a horrible burden to take with me everywhere. All in all im glad I chose this phrase book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Important Book, September 14, 2012
key lime (massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
A must for travelers unable to speak French (moi!) You will find this small book very helpful and easy to understand & small enough to tuck in your pocket as you wander through France!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, but in Paris you might not need this, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
We spent 3 days in Paris and although I had this with me constantly, I rarely needed it. Turns out many Parisians speak English, or at least the ones we encountered did. Still, I really like how this book was organized. I'm keeping it until we go back again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful, July 31, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars great phrase book~ French!, August 13, 2012
Nikki (sacramento,ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
This is a super little French phrase book for those of us who want to learn some French. I would recommend supplementing with You Tube French language videos:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
I love this book! The phrases are useful and have easy to understand pronunciation tips. The book is well organized so I can find the right words and phrases when I need them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Next to Useless, stick with Rick Steves, July 5, 2013
dlb "BROWDL" (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
We just returned from two weeks in France after purchasing this book as a last-minute substitute for our misplaced Rick Steves. Truly, this book failed us 90% of the time. We speak a little French and wanted this book to fill vocabulary gaps. It became our running joke that no matter what French word we would try to look up in this book, it would not be included. Food? Amazingly lacking! Translation of signs? Rarely worked. The "dictionary" sections of this book occupy only about a third of the content, the remainder being dedicated to phrases, organized by situation. By the end of our trip I stopped taking this book with me on outings - it wasn't worth the valuable pocket space that it occupied! There are better dictionary books, and even better apps for your iPhone / iTouch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
I went to France not knowing hardly any French, and this book came in handy many times. It was fun to pull out when we were at dinner and to try to engage with the serving staff in French. It is small in size which helped me fit it in my purse while we walked around the city. The phrases included in the book are very helpful (and phonetic guides are great too) and allow you to learn fun ways to talk to the French. I would highly recommend this as a survival book while traveling if you do not know the language.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious pronunciation/representation issues - worthless IMHO, May 10, 2014
R. D. Kennedy (west of Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary (Paperback)
The phrasebook uses an awkward pronunciation symbols that are hard to pick up on and may not be mainstream:

Wine: vin... book states "vun" despite the 'n' not being pronounced and the 'i' being nasalized. Rick Steves: van (n underlined)
The front of the book clearly states this is how they represent nasalization... with the n written just as if it were pronounced. I might was well just learn to pronounce French in the first place rather than decode "un" for a-nasal... how is this a help?

Two: deux... book states "der" despite no 'r' sound whatsoever. Rick Steves: duh
The front of the book clearly states this should be pronounced like "her" in English, with the 'r' pronounced! In what dialect? Not one I plan to speak or have heard so far.

Similar issues with pronunciation of other nasal vowels. Otherwise, book seems fine, but this is a deal-breaker for me. The phrasebook exists to help me quickly speak a phrase and be understood. My copy is going straight into the recycling bin.

Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary
Lonely Planet French Phrasebook & Dictionary by Jean-Pierre Masclef (Paperback - March 1, 2012)
$8.99 $6.89