5.0 out of 5 stars LP's Hong Kong Condensed is Highly Recommended
My wife and I spent one week in Hong Kong during March, 2004. We found the 2nd edition (published March, 2003) Lonely Planet Hong Kong Condense pocket guide to be a great reference source.
Published on March 20, 2004 by J. Mah

3.0 out of 5 stars Good maps
For my week in Hong Kong, I used Frommer's guide as my main guide, but took this as a secondary guide because of its maps. It has very good local area maps for the neighborhoods it covers, showing sights, hotels, restaurants, and shops. I found it most useful for locating shops and sights.

Unlike the other HK guides I looked at, this one includes the written...
Published on April 23, 2008 by K. Teel

5.0 out of 5 stars LP's Hong Kong Condensed is Highly Recommended, March 20, 2004
J. Mah (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Because the guide is pocket-sized, it fit conveniently in my jacket and looked inconspicuous when I carried it in my hand. I found the fold-out maps on the covers to be handy and easy to use when I navigated the streets of Kowloon and HK Island.
The guide is well organized and broken into categories such as "Highlights," "Sights and Activities" in addition to the obvious ones such as "Shopping, "Places to Eat," and "Places to Stay."
We found the places to visit recommended under "Highlights" and "Sight & Activities" to be worthwhile. For instance, our son, who is spending his junior year of college studying at the University of Hong Kong, suggested we visit two obscure sights: the Chi Lin Nunnery (which has a beautiful Japanese-style garden) and the Wong Tai Sin Temple (a large colorful Taoist temple and garden bustling with activity). Both sites were listed in the guide.
The huge shopping malls such as Pacific Place (on HK island in Admiralty) and Harbour City (in Tsim Sha Tsui) were fun to wlak through.
If I had a single complaint, it would be that some of the recommended restaurants under "Places to Eat" were duds [such as Luk Yu Tea House (past its prime and overrated) in Central and Peking Restaurant(overrated) in Tsim Sha Tsui]. In other words, take the recommended eating establishments with a grain of salt. On the other hand, some of the eateries such as the "Happy Garden Noodle & Congee Kitchen" (located across from the Harbour City shopping mall in Tsim Sha Tsui) and "Yung Kee" (a famous roast geese restauant located in Central)were great. It should be noted that restaurant meals are quite expensive in Hong Kong. My wife and I found the food courts in shopping centers (where the locals dine) to be good places for inexpensive and delicious Chinese food).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good maps, April 23, 2008
K. Teel (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews

Unlike the other HK guides I looked at, this one includes the written Chinese names of the places it covers. This could be useful if you need to give a taxi driver written destinations.

The book's coverage is very limited. I would not recommend it as your only guidebook. I found it worth it for the maps, but it's a bit expensive just for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great and small, but don't follow restaurant advice!, January 26, 2008
blink888 (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Hong Kong was one of the stops on our 4 week Asia trip, and we only had a weekend to spend there. So since it was the only stop not included in our comprehensive SE Asia guide, we decided to get this small pocket guide to help us navigate the city and check out the top spots during our short stay.

Overall, this book is very helpful in terms of outlining major sites, detailed transportation information, and even includes a full-size fold out map. The only issue we had with it were the recommended restaurants listed. I don't know if this applies to all the recommendations, but we checked out 3 spots that were highlighted and ALL 3 were mediocre.

Bottom line, this is a great guide for a weekend visit, but don't follow the restaurant recommendations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide for a short visit, February 16, 2011
The Lonely Planet `Best of' series are slim-line soft-cover city guides typically containing around 100 pages. They are high print quality, full-colour publications.

Authored by veteran LP travel writer Steve Fallon, at 128 pages this "Best of Hong Kong" guide is a little more substantial than most others in the series. The front cover folds out as a street map of the Kowloon Peninsula and the rear cover as the northern shoreline of Hong Kong Island from Central to Wan Chai, with smaller maps of Causeway Bay and Lan Kwai Fong.

The book is then divided into colour-coded sections:

* Introducing Hong Kong, Districts and Islands, Itineraries

* Highlights

* Sights and activities

* Out and about

* Shopping

* Eating

* Entertainment

* Sleeping

* About Hong Kong (history, environment, government etc)

* Directory

* Index

Every page is lavishly illustrated with colour photography and has mini-articles inserted into the main text in coloured text-boxes (for example do-do's and no-no's for visitors, a detailed examination of dim sum, or where and when to see the best Chinese Opera). The layout is user-friendly and the information accurate and useful.

For a visit of up to a week or so there is no point in buying and lugging around a bigger, heavier guide book when this LP `Best of' guide contains everything you need in a handy pocket-sized volume. The only down-side might be that due to its brevity it is a little short on detail for the visitor with specialist interests, such as the temples or some specific aspect of Chinese culture, and such a visitor might be advised to seek out a guide more focussed on his/her specialist interests.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter - a Letdown, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter (Paperback)
I am generally appreciative of what LP books offer - rich details, maps and directions to places that travelers might not discover by other means. I was attracted to the streamlined look and ease of carrying HK Encounter. I never g::ot used to the organization. Part of the book is divided into travel topics: highlights; itineraries; snapshots (further divided into a dozen subtopics); and separate sections on neighborhoods within Hong Kong. I couldn't always figure out what neighborhood I should be searching. I felt their was a sparcity of restaurant listings. On a positive note, the multi-colored maps are an improvement from LP's usual black & white small print maps.

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better books, November 18, 2009
This review is from: Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter (Paperback)
I bought this to have a small book with decent information to take with me when I was out and about. While this book has some nice information on places to visit, it lacks information on how to actually get there. So you see somewhere you want to go but you're stuck trying to figure out exactly where it is and how to get there. The maps are very mediocre. The pullout map that came with it is useless. I definitely wouldn't buy this one again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy pocket reference adding to Lonely Planet China, January 18, 2010
T. Weisserth (Hamburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter (Paperback)
I'm using this to prepare a short trip to Hong Kong during a six week trip to China. If you're in Hong Kong for only a couple of days and you don't want to carry heavy, dedicated books for every location in China you plan to visit, I found this guide to be very helpful. The maps are nice (although I'm probably only using them to plan ahead, I'll use GPS when I'm there) and the segmentation of topics into the districts of the area makes planning easy. Recommended reading.

Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter
Lonely Planet Hong Kong Encounter by Andrew Stone (Paperback - March 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01