5.0 out of 5 stars The one book you NEED to come to Japan
After spending about 3 weeks in Japan with this as my only guide book, I can honestly say you NEED to buy this book before traveling to Japan. I didn't make it to Tokyo, but I did go to Kyoto and Hiroshima, and this was great for both places. It also serves as sort of a mini-travel dictionary in a pinch as well as a quick guide to cultural practices.
Just a note on...
Published on May 12, 2001 by L. Cunningham

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but I did find better...
I bought this book, along with several others, including Frommers, for my trip to Japan a little over a month ago. I stayed in northern Japan--near Aomori and visited Tokyo, Sendai, Hachinohe and Morioka. Lonely Planet was helpful but, the book I used the most and relied on the most--with everything to neighborhood maps and out of the way places to eat and shop--was...
Published on November 29, 1999 by Cindi Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, March 4, 2004
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Paperback)
Of a five-week junket to Asia in 2003, Taiwan formed the first wing and Japan the second. The Lonely Planet guides for each locale accompanied me for both wings my Asian vacation.
Considering how dreadful the Taiwan guide was (you can check out my review of it), the Japan guide was remarkably voluminous and useful. I used the 7th edition for my trip (the 8th came out while I was overseas), but, as outdated as it was, it still proved to be an excellent resource for my trip.
First facts - I speak only restaurant and "ninja" Japanese, am Chinese, and am ninhogo-illiterate, so I was plopped into the middle of a country where I had few internal resources to call on. Armed with the Lonely Planet guide and reasonable phrasebook, I was able to navigate my way through Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nagoya, and Himeji without any significant problems. The restaurant recommendations were pretty much on the mark - the okonomiyaki and fugu joints in Osaka were outstanding in quality and price, and the gyoza recommended in Kyoto was phenomenally tasty, to pick a few.
The city maps were pretty accurate, although some of the club and bar scene locales were defunct or vague. Eschewing the book's rec's after a couple of disappointments, I started hitting random places that looked, and were in fact, pretty cool. The tourist spot info is pretty accurate and includes stuff that sometimes isn't noted in the local tourist literature (I highly recommend checking out the little "meditation" waterfall mentioned in the Kyoto section).
Lonely Planet Japan is an exceptional guide book. I would recommend it to anyone who is planning a trip Japan-wards, regardless of taste - this book covers everything. I intend to purchase the latest edition before my next trip there (soon, I hope!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave for Japan without it!, June 7, 2000
I have lived in Japan. And I just returned home from another 2 week visit. I can honestly say that LP Japan was my bible. Being a recent college graduate, and having limited funds, LP provided me with cheaper options for entertainment, accomadation, and food in what is one of the world's most expensive countries. The social and environmental awareness that the authors (and of course the LP company on the whole) show should be emulated by every traveler, every tour operator, and every guidebook. This is truly the guidebook for the independent traveler and for people who can think for themselves and plan their own itenaries. I love how LP Japan (and all other LP books) warn the reader of tourist traps to avoid, and try to steer the reader to sites and towns that reflect the local culture. DO NOT LAND AT NARITA (or KIX) WITHOUT THIS BOOK! And wherever your travels may be, always go armed with the LP guide for that country or region!

5.0 out of 5 stars Japan captured in 2 weeks - Thanks to the LonelyPlanet Japan, June 22, 1998
dianne.whalen@sun.com (Eldersburg, Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This was my first experience with the Lonely Planet series. It was great! Accurate, interesting, easy reading and invaluable. I was traveling with my two sons and the historical information enriched our visits and the detail allowed me to get some background that my son who had been there 3 years assumed I knew. We were able to get information on the smaller towns where my son was familiar. I am now buying Lonely Planet LA for an upcoming vacation, Lonely Planet New York, for my son who is going to college in New York and Lonely Planet DC so I can repay all the kindess that we received when our new found Japanese friends come to visit us in Maryland.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Guide You'll Need, September 15, 2001
This is a great guide, completely unpretentious, consise and easy to read. It tells you exactly what you need to know about the places you want to visit and and how to get there. I've navigated my way around Japan with it each time I've been there and it's never let me done. I wouldn't use any other guide. My Japanese wife, Kyoko, even uses it. What better praise can you give

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, April 6, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Paperback)
The lonely planet books are always great, and this one is very useful. However, if you plan to visit only Tokyo and Kyoto, you'd rather get the city guides, as the whole Japan book is big !

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong edition!, March 30, 2014
It was advertised as being a 2 or 3-year old edition of the book, but instead turned out to be a text from the early 1990s! Utterly useless and blatantly false advertising. Quite unhappy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, February 19, 2014
A lot of good off-the-beaten track suggestions. It's not a guide to follow blindly--it gives a lot of information so you can find what really appeals to you. The Lonely Planet approach is to be a resource for someone who likes to make his own plans. The Japan guide also lists a lot of great, colorful places to stay that are nice but a lot cheaper than anything a travel agent would set you up with. I've lived in Japan over a decade and I still consult Lonely Planet to find places to stay when I travel around the country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel guide, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Paperback)
I bought both the physical and kindle version of this Lonely Planet Japan and I was surprised at the level of detail contained in it. It may not contain every sight you could want to see in a major city, many of which have entire books dedicated to them, but it does give a broad overview of what can be seen all over. I found the most useful tips to be those provided for less populated and crowded places. It is sometimes difficult to find information on rural areas in Japan on reputable English speaking websites, but this book provided several suggestions which I found accurate upon arrival.

2.0 out of 5 stars So vague, August 25, 2012
DisaW (Dunedin, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Paperback)
Having used Lonely Planet Guides all over the world and never been disappointed I am shocked at how difficult our trip has been following the advice from the Lonely Planet Japan. We bought the most recent edition before leaving home and it was not cheap, thank goodness we have had such excellent information provided by our excellent hosts from all of the hostels we have stayed in or our trip would have us furious.

Worst problems resulting from the guide is the advice regarding Kansai Rail Pass, it is actually quite complicated to use as it is only able to be used by some buses, trains etc, we found it good when based in Osaka but a nightmare in Kyoto and why would you spend so much on a pass when the local buses offer an all day ticket for 500 yen? We feel really ripped off about buying these passes for our time in Kyoto (we can get refunds as we didn't use them but you have to get the refund where you bought the ticket and we are not able to go back).

The information given regarding Kyoto is so vague it is shameful. I assumed reading this at home that it must be a well trodden, well signposted area and that was why it was so poorly described. Giving the bus stop of a temple and saying walk up hill for ten minutes is not adequate to then assume that everyone will follow you predetermined path around Kyoto and not give directions to sights in their own right is just dumb. Directions like 'a ten minute walk from previous temple' is not ok. Southern Higashiyama is not well signposted in English which is fair enough it is Japan. That is why people buy guidebooks. The maps throughout the whole book are appalling. This is the last Lonely Planet we will buy. Information online is more reliable than this rubbish. We have never bought the books for accommodation or food suggestions and anytime we have used these they have always been terribly disappointing. We have been happy to lug around a heavy book in the past for the detailed advice and clear directions around places we don't know and will not be in long enough to get to know. Now we are free to break away from a brand we trusted and try something new.

Best advice for travelling in Japan is to ask a local, ask 3 and you'll have more fun. It is a wonderful place, don't hide in a guidebook that will just get you lost and frustrated. Most of our hostels all gave us maps of the local area when we arrived and circled things for us that we might need- way better than Lonely Planets terrible maps.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great purchase, October 5, 2005
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Paperback)
I found this guide very helpful. I travelled to Japan 10 years ago but this was a fully guided trip, and i was a school student.

This time around, my husband and I did all the planning ourselves. Lots of information, would be perfect for someone who has never travelled to Japan before.

Lonely Planet Japan
Lonely Planet Japan by Sara Benson (Paperback - Oct. 2003)
Used & New from: $0.01