5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for budget travelers
I travel on a very tight budget and this book totally helped me out with hostels,restaurants, transportation to surrounding countries. Asia has to be one of the cheapest places to travel.
Published on August 20, 2008 by S. ritenour

1.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet SE Asia 2008
Published on April 10, 2009 by Travel Toes

1.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet SE Asia 2008, April 10, 2009
Travel Toes (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
We travelled in SE Asia in the Summer of 2008...you would think the 2008 edition would be helpful and up to date. A friend gave me the previous edition but I saw there was an updated version and decided to buy it while on the road - very expensive! I have travelled extensively in many countries and continents. I will never buy a Lonely Planet Guide again. This book inaccurate, the information and prices so inaccurate you wonder if they were ever right (museums, palaces, etc, were 7X more expensive)misleading, did not give pertinent information, descriptions were "cutesy" rather than factual, you couldn't get from place to place with this guide, just the regualr tourist trail that you could find by yourself int he dark ...You really wondered if a person had actually been there. Totally useless and a waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and Outdated, July 28, 2009
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
Yes, Lonely Planet usually delivers with lots of tips and great recommendations. However, this particular guide is almost worthless. Not only did we encounter numerous inaccuracies in terms of transportation availability, restaurant and hotel existence, and false information about visas and entry fees, but also poor recommendations. There is traveling on a budget, then there is traveling like a homeless person. This Lonely Planet landed us in some of the least clean and least safe places we have ever stayed--but only when we were "lucky" enough to find that the book's recommendations were still open. I would not recommend this book and will seriously think twice about buying another Lonely Planet book in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but lack of maps and pictures, July 27, 2009
Caro Diaz (Santiago, Chile) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
I bought this book just before my trip to Thailand and Vietnam. It was useful, but it lacks of maps of the capitals or main cities and a couple of picture of the main attractions. The rest os ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for budget travelers, August 20, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY concise backpacker's guide, August 10, 2008
4.0 out of 5 stars VERY concise backpacker's guide, August 10, 2008

I used Lonely Planet's "Southeast Asia on a Shoestring" guide exclusively on my last trip to SE Asia. I visited Singapore and parts of Indonesia and Malaysia. Just like every other Lonely Planet Shoestring Guide, it was pretty amazing. However, this guide was much more concise than other shoestring guides I've used, probably because of how many places are being crammed into one book. Yes, it does a great job of covering a wide range of places in Southeast Asia. It just sacrifices detailed info and maps of many of those places to do so. This book generally sticks to times, costs, and locations, plus a very brief description of many of the places it covers. If you think you'll want more than that, you might consider the individual country guides instead. All that being said, the book does a great job of living up to it's motto: "Big Trips on Small Budgets." The info it provides was all very accurate and very useful. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for my son, May 22, 2014
Sheyla Filmeridis (Attempting to live deeper than these physical/emotional/mental spaces) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
This book proved to be so very helpful for a group of 3 young men, friends who travelled on a shoestring to Southeast Asia. They relied on the information which proved to be very complete and current.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have if you're backpacking SEA!, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
This book has it all! Even if you like to get "off the beaten path" nothing beats the transportation and maps in this guidebook especially with pricing. When you're dealing with a language barrier, it definitely helps to have somewhat of an idea about how much things are SUPPOSED to cost not what you're told. I used it to backpack SEA for 5 months in 2010 and also for 8 months in 2012.

While you can find cheaper accommodation once you're traveling, by heading to locations of the guesthouses listed, you have a starting point. Otherwise, stay where they recommend the first night and move on from there - helpful in small towns to know where to go and where all the travelers are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Southeast Asia on a shoestring, January 20, 2009
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
Absolutely love this book. I wish I would have got it sooner when I was trying to plan my trip. It's even better than looking around on the internet because you don't have to sift through a ton of irrelevant information. This is all stuff you want to know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting Point, November 2, 2009
Sajjad Ladha (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
Well although there are no color pictures to make it attractive, theres alot of info.. in fact maybe to much which is a good thing and a bad thing depending on how much u think is right. overall its a good starting point!

4.0 out of 5 stars FAN TAS TIC, May 12, 2008
J. Marescalchi (NEW ZEALAND, TAUPO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring (Paperback)
LONELY PLANET IS THE IDEAL RESOURCE FOR PEOPLE LIKE US...BARGAIN-HEADING BACKPACKERS!THIS ONE WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DURING OUR DAYS IN THA SE ASIA!RECOMENDED!!!

Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring
Lonely Planet Southeast Asia: On a Shoestring by Dan Eldridge (Paperback - March 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01