Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on July 7, 2012
Yet another amazing book by Karice Bolton. I just loved Lonely Souls. It was a book about more than just witchcraft. Lonely Souls had a good strong plot filled with characters who you can't help but like. I enjoyed reading about Triss and Logan. Yeah total swoonage going on over here. I am not sure how Karice does it really. How she can create such a perfect pair, who support each other and make the other one complete. She writes with such vision and colour that you can't help but be sucked in. I honestly couldn't put it down.

First off we have Triss, a girl who is struggling with the loss of her mother and the return of her long ago friend Logan. I found Triss kind of complex. She was not one dimensional like so many other characters I read about. I found that she seemed to not know who she is. She is unsure of herself and her feelings. Sure she likes the healing part of the craft but in the other areas she is lacking. Not that that is a bad thing, in no way do I mean that at all. I liked being right with her while Logan was teaching her how to defend herself. I found it added that special something between the two of them. That he was taking care of his girl. She has feelings for Logan, but she is not sure she can give him what he needs. I respect that she didn't lead him on. I like that she wanted to be 100% sure of something before she jumped in, not many MC's do that. Triss is just a sweet girl who has been thrown into a mess that with the help of Logan she just might make it through.

Logan on the other hand, has seen the darker side of magic. I honestly believe that Triss is the light to his darkness. He has lived a rough life after leaving Triss and moving away. The one thing that I love most about Logan is that he waited for Triss to be ready to be with him. He never pushed her or even hinted that he had feelings for her until he saw her again. Logan is totally swoon worthy. He is supportive and wants Triss to be able to take care of herself just in case he can't. I hate to say it, but sometimes it is nice to see a guy want to take care of a girl. He is just so dang sweet! I can't wait to read more about him.

Overall Lonely Souls was a great start to an awesome new series. One I am sure to be cursing time for travelling so slowly. Karice did a beautiful job building a world with love, magic and darkness. The characters and plot are well written and I can't wait for the next installment in the series.
11 comment27 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2012
Very good book, read it in one setting and cannot wait for book 2 I think this is going to be a good series as the Watcher's Trilogy. Author writes great books.
0Comment19 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2014
2.5

Logan, Triss's love interest, brings much needed flirtatiousness and comic relief to the story. He also definitely has a hot, swoon worthy look, a bad boy vibe that flirts with darkness, and a charming way of protecting Triss from danger.

The knowledge of herbs, flowers, their healing properties and uses as protective elements was both accurate and informative.

The mysterious disappearance of Triss's mother was intriguing and suggestive, making the reader hunger for the secrets she's surely hiding.

CONS:

Triss is extremely annoyingly self-righteous to the point where her character was aggravating.

The love story was too simple, too easy, and really cheesy with big speeches about how love made one discovery one's self and feel all sorts of crazy emotions. Generally, that wouldn't be such a bad thing but it was excessive, so it lost some of its meaning.

The enemy is not scary, sort of boring, and anticlimactic.

The lonely souls were mentioned briefly, showed up a couple of times, but didn't cause much damage. More emphasis should have been placed on these beings if the book it titled after them.

The Witch Avenue coven was barely significant.
on November 28, 2012
Lonely souls is a spooky paranormal romance that I was caught up in from the first chapter. When Triss's mother goes missing and her coven holds a memorial service for her instead of trying to find out what happened, Triss must find the answers for herself and begins a journey of unlocking dark family secrets with the help of her childhood friend Logan.

There is lots of buildup in the relationship between Logan and Triss, I loved how so much of the novel was devoted to the love story and not just the paranormal mystery. The characters are well-developed and likeable. Triss has an internal battle going on between her increasing feelings for Logan and the priority of finding out what happened to her mom.

The descriptions are well done and make you feel, smell, and picture each and every scene in the book. The only slightly negative comment I have is that after the first couple chapters the pace of the book drops off a bit doesn't pick up again until the halfway point, but the intensity of the last couple chapters definitely make up for this. I highly recommend this book for any young adult romance or paranormal reader! Oh, and I loved the cover and how it related to an actual scene in the book!
on January 4, 2013
Wow,this is one of the most exciting books I have read. I love the constant suspense that intensifies with each decision. It truly does make the line between good and bad magic intertwine with one another.
on July 24, 2013
This book along with all the other books in this series is awesome. After you getting close to the end of one book of this series you can't wait to get into the next book to continue the saga.
on May 28, 2013
18 year-old Triss has just graduated from high school but the biggest event in her life is yet to come - her acceptance into the Witch Avenue Coven. Yes you heard it right, Triss is a witch. I must admit I was very surprised with Triss' behaviour toward her witchy powers. All she did until now is collect herbs, make potions and learn only some simple spells. She used her magic wand mostly to stip potions or as a pestle for godsake! If I was a witch I would be eager to learn awesome spells to make dragons, enchant magic carpets, dive underwater for hours and have my own flying broom!

It's not correct to say that Triss is not interested, she did declare multiple times that she could not wait to join the coven so she could explore their library, but she is obedient and patiently waits until she is allowed to access more complicated spells and magic. But then something happens that turns Triss' life upside down - her mother disappears. The Coven declares her mother dead and Triss only has small group of friends to support her and help her search for answers. Logan, her best childhood friend, starts teaching Triss more advanced spells so they could fight together. These lessons were fun, because it gave us perfect opportunity to gradually learn more about witches and their powers in The Witch Avenue series.

Except witches and paranormal events revolving around Triss' mother's disappearance, Lonely Souls also focuses very much on romance. But since it's my favorite kind of love story of childhood friends who start realising they are in love, you won't hear me complaining. And Logan has such romantic statements, I cheered for him almost from the start. I mean just look at these beautiful quotes:
"Everything that I loved about you back then is present sitting here in front of me, except now you've grown into a woman who is unbelievably strong, brave and beautiful."
"I'll always be here waiting for you," he said, touching my chest with his fingertips, drawing a shape of a heart.
"I'm giving you everything I have, Triss. I want to be yours, and I want you to be mine. No matter what storms lay ahead of us, I know that as one we can make it. I'm not perfect by anyone's standards but you make me want to strive to be the best person I can be."

As self-published novel go, Lonely Souls is mostly free of grammatical errors (or I have been too engrossed into a story to notice them). There are some words and phrases that repeat a little too much for my taste though. Logan's lips 'tugged upright slightly' so many times I started doubting is that the beginning of a smile or if it's a tic.

While I am nitpicking I may also point out another thing: Most books that are part of the series have some grand backstory that gets resolved in the end, but each book is a mini quest or some task or problem that our heroes resolve on their journey. There is no such thing in The Witch Avenue series, or at least in Lonely Souls. Triss is trying to find her mother and although she discovers a lot of clues, it still seems like this search will last until the end of the series.

If you are looking for young/new adult paranormal series about witches and you like reading about childhood friends discovering their feeling are more than just friendship while they stir trouble and potions, throw spells, break rules and fight to discover the truth, then I recommend that you check out Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton - it promises to be a start of an interesting series.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the author as part of the blog tour in exchange for a honest review.
on December 19, 2012
Triss's life is about to begin in a coming of age sort of way; if coming of age involves being a witch and you're about to enter a cover. Everything is going just as planned with Triss's celebration until, her mother disappears. While everyone else is mourning her mother's death Triss is devoting her time to finding her mother hopefully alive. Triss is reunited with a childhood friend and the two set out on an adventure loaded with magic and topped with mystery that made putting this book down every week impossible.

Lonely Souls was read with Book Whore Online Book Club and it has been a real treat. I was reeled into this story from the very beginning and taken completely by surprise at the start of this book. I have been reading Karice's novels from the very start of her writing career and this has been her best work yet. Normally her cookie cutter characters have me wishing for more conflict but Triss and Logan were beautifully written and the story had the perfect amount of conflict to keep me turning the pages.

Triss is struggling through a time in her life where a young girl really needs her mother to guide her. Instead Triss is stuck with trying to find her mother alive and being betrayed by those around her. Triss's emotions are real and raw and I loved it. With no one to turn to and no one to trust Triss starts shutting everyone around her out. Logan is recently back in Triss's life and I think the two not tripping all over each other in love was the best way to reunite this couple. On top of well written characters you get black magic, wands, and more.

I really enjoyed the flashback scenes in this story they were the perfect bridge for getting to meet Triss's mother without dragging out the story. I cannot wait for the next book in this series. I do recommend this book to readers but I don't think it is for romance lovers that prefer a hot and heavy love story. The characters are age appropriate so they have immature emotions and reactions to situations. If you are interested in a budding new love and a tale woven with mystery and magic then Lonely Souls is the perfect read for you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 7, 2015
Our teen-aged daughter wanted this book so we ordered it. She really likes it and is anxious to read the next one in the series. Quite truthfully I have not read it but am just very pleased when I can get our girl to read instead of text on her cell phone. If you have a teen at your house, you would know exactly what I mean. I will buy the next one for her, too.
on March 12, 2014
I have read my fair share of Witch stories. They are all unique and fascinating in their own way. Lonely Souls had the potential to be one of those reads. But there was so much underdeveloped that I just can’t say that it is.

After the disappearance of her Mother, Triss’s life in thrown into a tailspin. With everyone assuming the worst, Triss is sure her mother is alive and vows to find any clues to her disappearance. With the help of her childhood best friend, Logan, they dig deeper into the secrets of her coven, looking for clues to her whereabouts. But as they get closer to finding out the truth, Triss realizes she is their next target.

This book has so much potential to be great. I love the magic and idea behind the Lonely Souls and the added mystery of her mother’s disappearance. The “love story”, which I can only assume was supposed to be the sub-plot, took precedence over everything else and that was really frustrating. The lack of world building and back story too, was seriously lacking. This is a quick read (or would have been had I not been so busy) and the pacing was nice but I had difficulty with the constant back and forth and the flow of everything coming together. Example- Triss and Logan would be discussing her mother’s disappearance and then Logan would bring up his feelings for her, in mid conversation. It just didn’t work. Also, as the story develops, there are really NO CLUES as to what happened to her mother and then all of a sudden, they had it figured out. I was really lost.

I liked Triss OK. I understood her turmoil and denial about her Mother, but her back and forth about Logan was really frustrating. She’s confused, which is understandable, but either back off or go for it. I also thought she was a little too self righteous for my liking. She was pretty judgey. As for Logan, I honestly thought it was weird that they had no contact for a few years, yet, he was basically holding out for her and his thoughts about her drove his actions. It could be considered sweet, to some, but to me it was weird and creepy. I did like that they did know each other, so there was never that awkward “firsts”, yet I was never invested in their relationship.

I did enjoy the magical elements. I loved that Triss was content with her “healing” abilities and love of nature. I would have liked to know more about the repercussions into Black Magic and exactly what their coven DID. There was no closure to this one either. After a major point in the book, it just ended. Like a ” …to be continued” type deal. What?

Overall~ I wasn’t a fan. This had so much potential to such a great book, sadly it just wasn’t. This may be me, because I see a lot of my Goodreads friends liked it. I probably wont be continuing the series.