5.0 out of 5 stars A Hell of a Vision.
Published on February 27, 2004 by David Hutton

3.0 out of 5 stars get the other edition!
Published on January 24, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hell of a Vision., February 27, 2004
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
I have just finished watching the six hour Lonesome Dove for the fourth time; yet, it is a rare movie I will even watch twice. I own the DVD, and I will certainly be watching it a fifth time. Comparisons of Lonesome Dove to other TV movies don't begin to do it justice; this movie deserves comparison to any Western ever made, and it stands up well to any one of the most highly considered (The Searchers, Unforgiven, Shane, High Noon, The Good, The Bad & the Ugly, etc.). This is a story of character and nuance much more than plot and action, with many small moments that will stay with you long after the story is finished...a saloon owner grieving over the loss of his prostitute (his love)...the hanging of a friend...an attempt at telling a boy he is your son....the burial of a friend...two old warriors saying goodbye in so many words (while there is much humor in the story, there is also overwhelming sadness, and do expect very major characters to have tragic endings to their lives). Lonesome Dove is bold enough to tell an epic story (and in doing so, demytholyzing the history of the West, and showing us how brutal and painful the settling of the West really was) by focusing on these small moments. There are something like 75 or 100 speaking parts in this movie, and it is uniformly excellently cast (with the exception, in my opinion, of Angelica Huston, who I always thought seemed out of place in this Western setting). If you are wondering whether this is worth owning, believe me, you will never regret it.
A postscript: since I wrote my review I have noticed that there are a number of idiots out there unfairly ripping this movie for being shorter than the original. The original series was indeed EIGHT hours long. However, it was made for TV and had something called commericials. These had the effect of reducing its running time to about SIX hours, as my review notes. I have seen several DVD versions of this and have never seen one that was edited or cut, which is why they neglect to warn you on the box. Just get the movie, watch it, and ignore the bozo comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Other Western Comes Close To This One, December 3, 2002
I've seen LONESOME DOVE so many times I've practically got the six hours of dialogue memorized. Yet I'll keep watching this excellent adaptation of Larry McMurtry's epic novel, over and over again. Why? Two words: compelling story.
The friendship of Augustus McCrae and Woodrow F. Call is the underlying theme of LONESOME DOVE; it's the motor that drives the story. When these two weathered former lawmen steal a herd of cattle from Mexico and set off for Montana for one last grand adventure ("I wanna see that country," says Call to Gus, "before the lawyers and bankers get it."), the stage is set for a Western with plenty of humor, action, violence...tragedy.
This production makes McMurtry's unforgettable characters literally leap off the page. Robert Duvall IS Gus McCrae...Tommy Lee Jones IS Woodrow Call. Both performances are so vivid and on target the viewer is transported seamlessly to McMurtry's story, a story centering around the undying loyalty and friendship of these two men.
LONESOME DOVE is a film that will entertain you, take you over the full gambit of human emotions, then after six hours leave you begging for more. Jones and Duvall lead a stellar cast in a remarkable film that has but one weakness: it has to end. And McMurtry's story is told--told so well that no other Western even comes close.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Duvall role, February 20, 2000
Kevin P. Westmoreland (Asheville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
It is finally nice to get the entire Lonesome Dove epic on DVD. While I have to agree that the picture is not as pristine as I would have liked, it is definitely better than the VHS version that I own. The sound is Dolby Digital mono, but surprisingly good.
One thing to note - the movie breaks at the same break points that the mini-series did when broadcast. After approximately 1.5 hours, the credits roll, and then the next section starts. Not that bad, but a little clunky. The interview snippets with Larry McMurtry are kind of insightful and nice to have.
Robert Duvall is really incredible in the role of Augustus (Gus) McCrae. The man is the character. I found I was laughing to myself all over again at Gus's western philosopher dialogue, and wishing that we all thought a little more like him.
If you loved the VHS version and want a better copy, buy this DVD. Though not crystal clear, it is an improvement over my old VHS copy and with instant chapter access, much more convenient to view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concerned about getting an edited version? Read here., September 6, 2007
N. White (Arkansas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
I recently bought this for my dad for his birthday. I remember watching it when I was younger and I always liked it, but the version we had was recorded from TV and was terrible quality, especially because it is now almost 20 years old. It is an excellent series, but you can decide that for yourself if you choose to buy it.

My decision to write this review is designed to help the potential buyer who doesn't want to get ripped off. I read most of the reviews before buying this product, and time and time again I came accross people who complained about purchasing an edited version with much of the content removed. Many of those reviews were old, so I didn't know if I was getting a newer version with the whole story of some other version that was edited. Hopefully this will help.

It appears that Amazon sells 2 versions of the DVD (I know nothing about the VHS versions so this review does not apply to them). The version I bought (ASIN B00005Y6YB) is listed as 360 minutes in length and is ranked in the top 500 in Amazon's top sellers. It was released by Hallmark. The DVD box lists the run time as 6 hours, which is what you would expect after removing commercials an 8 hour TV miniseries that is split into 4 parts. Amazon's price is listed as $8.49.

Another version of the series (ASIN B00003IPFK) is listed as 360 minutes as well, but is listed at about #48,000 in the top sellers and is priced at $13.75 (only available from independent vendors). Seeing how few people bought this version and how much more it costs, I would avoid it.

The version I bought is ASIN B00005Y6YB and it is complete. Perhaps the people who gave bad reviews did not receive the same version I bought. Amazon lists the same reviews for both, so it's possible that people gave poor reviews to a different version and those reviews got mixed in with the complete version's reviews. If you want to be sure you are getting the complete series without editing, I would recommend searching the ASIN so that you don't have to pick and choose between versions. Be sure you check when you get the product that you have the full 6 hour version. I hope this helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars get the other edition!, January 24, 2003
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
Be warned: this edition of "Lonesome Dove" is cut down to 240 minutes, from the original 360. This is perhaps the greatest television miniseries ever made, and it would be a shame to see it in anything but its complete form. Spend the extra couple of bucks to get the other DVD edition! My rating of the movie itself would be five stars, but this cut version is a terrible injustice.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising, November 15, 2003
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
To top things off, Lonesome Dove has released two versions of their film. The full length version (released some time ago) is out of stock per Amazon. The new version is 2/3 the film. But both versions show the same reviews on Amazon. So check the technical details to be sure the version that you are buying is the full length.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great movie, February 23, 2000
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
I would like to comment on the review that said the "Fullscreen version" notice on the box meant it was pan & scanned. I think that is a mistake and just another example of sloppiness. Lonesome Dove was not shown in theaters and was shot for TV, so this is exactly what was on TV. There is no "widescreen version" to compare it to, and that's okay, since it is shown in the way it was meant to be seen.
This is really a great movie, and while the entire cast and crew did a great job, I think you have to single out a few people: Robert Duvall, who gives one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. Bill Witliff and Larry McMurtry, who wrote the screenplay and and book gave it all structure and life - the actors didn't say those great lines off the top of their heads. Basil Pouledouris, who wrote the memorable and moving score.
I do wish they'd paid a little more attention to the transfer and made the colors and picture sharper. It looks like a really good VHS version, like the laserdisc did, when it should be much improved over both of them. It's too bad that after all the work that went into this, the video company couldn't have done that one last step and made the DVD look as good as possible. Still, I wouldn't want to be without this.

1.0 out of 5 stars As to run length..., November 17, 2003
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
According to Amazon.com's "technical details" link for this item, the total run time is 240 minutes. According to IMDB, the miniseries first broadcast in 1989 runs 384 minutes. This jives with my recollection of four two-hour episodes, with commercials, broadcast in the winter of early 1989.
So YES, this is an edited version: Almost 2-1/2 hours have been removed. That seems a fairly severe abridgement. I wouldn't consider buying such a chop-up of this great, great Western. Five stars for the original film, one star for chainsaw editing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality tape, and shortened version!, October 14, 1999
By A Customer
"Lonesome Dove" is surely one of the GREATEST of GREAT mini-series (and books)...BUT...I wish I had listened to the viewer from Missouri City, TX. before buying this tape! In this version from Hallmark Entertainment, not only has the original 6 hours been edited down to only 4 hours, the quality is no better than taping it off of television. Anyone interested in experiencing (and owning) this perfectly magnificent mini-series, do yourself a favor and do not purchase this particular tape...find a full-length version of good quality. "Lonesome Dove" deserves no less!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond a mere Western -- simply a great American epic, December 20, 2000
Beau Yarbrough (Between Disneyland and Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (DVD)
I was indifferent when my mother first suggested watching a videotaped miniseries a friend had loaned her. All I knew of Larry McMurtry was that he'd written "Terms of Endearment," and that didn't exactly entice me. Besides, I hadn't seen a good Western in years (this was before Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven," of course) and thought of them as a played-out genre, only watched by old men who had no interest in contemporary fiction.
How wrong I was. "Lonesome Dove" is an astonishing miniseries about heroism, friendship, dreams, men, women and everything in between. This extraordinary series drove me to the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, which I've read repeatedly (no mean feat, since it's a hefty book). The characters are as real to me as any I've ever encountered in fiction, and even now, years after first meeting them on that tape, they can make me laugh and bring me to tears, every time.
Because even though McMurtry and the miniseries do a good job of conveying the amazing sweep of the West, and the action is shocking and brutal, it's the characters that make this work. Robert Duvall has said that Augustus McCrae is his favorite role of all time, and it's easy to see why: Gus and Call embody the two extremes of fictional heroes -- the rogue and the straight arrow -- but McMurtry, Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones bring them to life as fully fleshed-out men, with internal contradictions, fatal flaws while still being extremely admirable and charismatic heroes.
Many people have praised McMurtry's women, and I'll echo that sentiment. Diane Lane and Angelica Houston in particular shine in their roles, which may not be starring ones, but are substantial and meaty, loving without being unrealistic. Their characters are plot engines but, as with Call and Gus, they're fully realized people.
"Lonesome Dove" stands the test of time as one of the greatest TV miniseries ever and, more importantly, a wonderful American saga. Buy this DVD and watch it again and again, then dive into McMurtry's four "Lonesome Dove" novels.

Lonesome Dove (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]