Customer Discussions > Lonesome Dove forum

Lonesome Dove on audio book???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2009 8:49:42 PM PST
Sherry339 says:
I have searched all over and cannot find this anywhere. Can't believe it hasn't been done as it is one of the most wonderful and memorable books ever!!!

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 4:33:35 PM PDT
white horses says:
audible.com narrated by lee horsley from paradise (guns of paradise) matt houston.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2009 5:46:39 PM PDT
Sherry339 says:
Thank you so very much!!!!! I appreciate your response! :->

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 7:00:50 AM PDT
grampa052 says:
Sherry, There are 4 audio books in the Lonesome Dove Series.#1 is Dead Man's Walk. It tells about when Gus & Woodrow first joined the Texas Rangers. #2 is Comanche Moon. It takes place just before Lonesome Dove. #3 is the best of the lot Lonesome Dove. #4 is Streets of Laredo. It takes place after Lonesome Dove. All of these audio books are excellent. I think you would enjoy them best if you listened to them in chronological order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 3:17:58 PM PDT
Sherry339 says:
Thanks for your response but I am just trying to find an audio version of 'Lonesome Dove'. Do you know who published the version you are talking about so I can try to find it? I haven't been able to find the Audible.com item mentioned by Savannah at a resonable price. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 5:17:51 PM PDT
grampa052 says:
If you go on Amazon.com and click the book down below it is a download file for 20 bucks. If you know anything about downloading bittorrent files you can download all 4 books for free. I have all four and they are only a total of 1 gig. If there is a way to get in touch I will happily send them to you on a flash drive. Lonesome dove is 241 MB. It might be to big for e-mail. Let me know if I can help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 11:24:02 PM PDT
Sherry339 says:
Thanks again for your response. I just finished downloading the book from Audible.com. It wasn't free but it sounds terrific and I am excited to have it. I will have to look into the method you mention of bittorrent. I have noticed torrents listed in my searches but didn't know what they were. I'll have to study up on 'em. Hope you have a very wonderful Sunday. Thanks !

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 10:55:27 PM PST
Hi,

I read Lonesome Dove about 23 years ago and I am curious about something: I thought there was a character named Charlie Goodnight who was a cattle rancher that the Hat Company ran into a couple of times out on the trail. I do not think Goodnight was in the miniseries...probably just for time's sake...but I thought he was in the book. I know Lonesome Dove is based upon Charles Goodnight and his partner Mr. Loving (who I don't remember from the book reading 23 years ago) but Mr. Goodnight does not make an appearance in the audiobook narrated by Lee Hosley... So is it an abridgment or am I remembering it wrong? I've searched the net for an answer, but I don't see any mention of this.

I am hoping there is a LD freak out there who might know. This is one book that REALLY needs to be re-recorded. Gus' voice is so loud that it's ridiculous and I'm just not a big fan of Hosely as the narrator. This book is a TRUE masterpiece and needs to be re-recorded with chapter announcements and a better voice actor. It doesn't look like Hosley did a LOT of voice work, but I would not listen to an audiobook by him again. He's so flat.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:44:01 AM PST
Sherry339 says:
Hey Melinda!!! I am right there with you about Lonesome Dove. I thought it was incredible even before I fell in love with Gus and all those wonderful characters in the movie. I remember being so afraid that they would mess it up but it is perfect. There is a permanent exhibit at the Witliff Library at the Texas State University in San Marcos, Tx. It is not huge but is very interesting.

Anyway, I, too, remember something about Goodnight in the book butam not sure his name was used or if a character was based on him. They did cut it out of the movie saying that the book was just too long to film... Although, I would not have minded another few days on the mini-series!! All the actors were wonderful!!!!!!

I wish they would both re-record the book UNABRIDGED and also have it "kindleized" !!!! I would pay for both!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 12:20:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 12:21:33 PM PST
Hi Sherry... You are a quick draw, girl... I think I figured it out... since the internet wasn't invented when I first read LD, I couldn't really do any research on LD and if it was modeled upon other people or simply dreamt up by McMurtry's fertile imagination, but after doing a little digging I figured it out... Goodnight is who the book is based on and he comes up when the book is 35 minutes from being done. He and Call have a chance encounter where Goodnight tells Call that Blue Duck has been caught and is scheduled to be hung.
Here is an interesting article I saw last night (Goodnight is a real man who drove cattle from TX to Montana and was a ranger with his partner Mr. Loving) but Goodnight has a much bigger part in the sequel (which I hated~~c'mon.. Pea Eye and Loreena get married?????!!!!!?????? PLEEZE!) and here is the link: http://www.ejlanham.com/TheRealLonesomeDove.html but Goodnight has a bigger part in the sequel Streets of Laredo and I believe that is where I got confused.

I waited so many years to re-read the book because I have seen the miniseries so many times. It's probably the best miniseries...on par with Roots.

And, yeah... I can't think of a book that needs to be re-recorded MORE than LD... it was really a disappointment. Hosely only narrated 3 books, so I guess other people weren't so enamored with his skill as a narrator.

May I suggest that one of the few books on par with LD is The Count of Monte Cristo... It's just mind-blowing. I recommend those two books to anyone who isn't afraid of a long book. If you can... get it on audio narrated by John Lee. It, like Lonesome Dove is a masterpiece. It's not a western, but the Western isn't typically my normal interest for reading, although I did just finish Angle of Repose which takes place during the same time frame, but in California... It is very good.

Happy reading! ~~Melinda

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 4:02:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 4:02:41 PM PST
Sherry339 says:
Melinda - First, let me say that I agree with everything you say. :-D A friend of mine gave me Lonesome Dove to read and I remember not being interested cause it was a western but thought I'd read a few pages... Of course, fell in love immediately, without reservation! Then the mini-series solidified my adoration. LOL
I just downloaded all the Dumas books in the D'Artagnan series to my Kindle and look forward to them. My favorite genre is actually Regency fiction (Georgette Heyer, Patricia Veryan, etc) so Dumas should be perfect. Can't wait! Thanks for your reccomendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 5:53:54 PM PST
Hi Sherry... I have only read the 3 Musketeers and after reading The Count it was like reading something so subpar and thrown together. I hope you have a better experience...although there is a character in the first book called MiLady who is a brilliant creation. I don't want to say too much, but I found the 3 Ms to be foppish and fools... D'Artagnan is the only character who has any morals or scruples. However... If I had read these books in the order that you are going to read them, then you are saving the best for last and you will be building up to something REALLY outstanding! I have read reviews that say that The Man in the Iron Mask is the best of the series, but I haven't gotten there yet. I was in Paris for 7 weeks last year and I just cannot believe that I didn't think to go to Dumas' home! It's a big touristy thing to do... Wasn't thinking.

My Dad read LD before I did and I also did not read Westerns (except for the Little House books when I was a kid...devoured them....was so jealous that I couldn't be Laura Ingalls) but my dad sent me to a working dude ranch in Oregon every summer...so I did all kinds of things like they did in LD: Cattle drives (over night sometimes!), branding, gelding, watching cows and horses being born, milking the cows...etc. My horse was a really good cow horse: he hated them and he knew when they got out of line. Sometimes it was scary...but in the 70's no one cared about safety (we didn't wear crash helmets) and we all survived.

I have never heard the term "Regency fiction" before...so I'm heading over to check it out. I'm currently bookless...but sometimes that is a good thing, because I can read for hours at a time and then I look up and it's 4am and I'm in trouble. I got 12 straight hours of sleep last night. I needed it.

I don't mean to discourage you from the books you bought. They have been best sellers for nearly 200 years...so what do I know? But I'm super excited for you to read The Count of Monte Cristo... It's just brilliant. If you like audiobooks, get the one narrated by John Lee. He is just SPECTACULAR!!!! I've read books that I wasn't even interested in just to hear his voice. I think he's just about the most talented narrator out there. I got into audio when I started knitting. Not everything I want to read is in that format...but who doesn't love to be read to? And... I do so love the feel of a book in my hands. I doubt I'll ever get an e-reader. (is that what a Kindle is?)...I might not even know the correct word. Although a Kindle would be mighty handy for a long trip... If I do another long trip like last year, I might get one...but I'm still paying off my Paris trip and I hate that. It's the first time I have ever had credit card debt...so that pretty much sucks. But I'm getting much closer to paying it off.

Anyway... I am DYING to see what Regency fiction is... thanks for telling me some authors, otherwise I wouldn't know where to start!!!! Thank you, Miss Sherry! I always LOVE to be turned on to a new type of book or a new author I have never heard of. I'll keep you abreast of what I am reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 5:00:51 PM PST
Sherry339 says:
Melissa, sent you an email. Hope you don't mind...
Sherry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Lonesome Dove forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lonesome Dove Trilogy [VHS]
Lonesome Dove Trilogy [VHS] by Robert Duvall (VHS Tape - 1997)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (970)