Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: VHS TapeChange
Price:$4.09+ $3.99 shipping

on May 25, 2002
I first saw this movie at our local in the late 50`s here in the U.K. The Memory of Marty Maher never left.. Looking through Amazon one evening i noticed it was available. Well done it arrived in 6 days. Some things you order locally take longer than that.After all these years since i last saw it it`s still a great movie and still brings a tear to the eye. Tyrone Power was perfect, sadly nearing the end of his life as Marty Maher. Nothing against John Wayne who i understand was the first choice but this was`nt his part. Maureen o Hara is wonderful. Ward Bond as "That blackhearted master of the sword" as Marty calls him and Donald Crisp as Marty snr. Its a long movie covering 50 years but never you loose interest. Its perfect. John Ford wanted to be remembered as the man who made westerns. Well he made other great movie`s as well. In my opinion this is an equal to The Quiet Man....The Long Gray Line. The best Ford without John Wayne.
11 comment76 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2000
My wife and I stumbled across this rare gem a few days ago on AMC. It began late in the evening, but we were unable to stop watching. It is a truly wonderful story, based on what I've come to learn is a book entitled BRINGING UP THE BRASS that was based on Technical Sargeant Martin Maher's life. The movie has all of the classical elements of John Ford including humor and poignancy, and I shall heartily recommend this film to my family and friends. It's nice to see patriotism and honor on film, even though it was 45 years ago!
0Comment57 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2000
One of the finest of John Ford's films, yet surprisingly overlooked, this movie gives us both an honest glimpse into West Point and sincere characters to cry for and laugh with.
Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara make a charming match once more (see The Black Swan, quite a different movie), and it's a wonder to me that Ty's sensitive and utterly believable performance in this film wasn't given more notice than it was. He was perfect all the way down to his accent, which I thought would surely slip, and it never did. Maureen's portrait of her character was poignant and gentle, with that spark that is purely Maureen. The death scene blows me away each time with it's simplicity and honest grace. They were quite a team, both of times they were together.
All the performances were top-notch, making you forget you were watching a movie. I felt, instead, as if I were being allowed into sacred ground, welcomed with open arms by the memories of that proud place.
This is truly a masterpiece. Ford at his finest. If you get a chance to see it, do. I can't recommend it strongly enough.
0Comment46 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2006
Very rarely in my life have I come across a movie that makes me cry. All you would have to do is watch the last 10 minutes of this movie to understand what I'm saying. However, you should see the entire movie - what perfection. It has comedy, drama, and great acting on all parts.

Tyrone Power (my favorite actor) gives a grade A performance. Never will you find him as loveable, or as dignified than as Martin Maher, Jr. I find it hard to believe that John Ford (the director) originally wanted John Wayne for this movie. Not to nock Wayne, but Power can convey sensitivity better. As a side note, John Wayne's son Patrick appears in the movie.

Maureen O'Hara, lovely as ever, gets back to her Irish roots in this film, and it makes for a point-perfect characterisation from the Queen of Technicolor. It isn't any wonder John Ford loved her as an actress. She's one of the best.

The movie spans 50 years at West Point Military Academy, and the life of Martin Maher and the people's lives he touched. It is a great American story. Definitely, worth every bit of the two hours and seventeen minute running time. I love this movie, and if you read this you really should be watching the movie.

Seriously, it made me cry!!!
0Comment30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2001
Highly enjoyable tale of the life of Marty Maher, the Irish immigrant who rose from humble waiter to become West Point's beloved athletic trainer and football coach for more than 50 years. Despite personal tragedies, and through two World Wars, Maher inspired generations of young men who came through the distinguished Army officers' academy, including future legends like Omar Bradley and Dwight D. Eisenhower. Tyrone Power is excellent and compelling as he portrays Maher from young idealist to elderly sage, Irish accent intact all the way. The scenery and West Point pageantry is fun to watch (although some of it looks like it was filmed inside a studio -- but much else looks like it may have been filmed at the Military Academy). Interestingly, there's not really all that much football in this film -- there's a little, but it's mainly the story of Maher and his family, and the young men he came to love like his own sons. With the flame-haired Maureen O'Hara as Maher's Irish wife Mary, giving a radiant performance. Sentimental in that '50s way, of course, but the legendary director John Ford (working with a cast made up of many of his favorites) always puts a bite behind the sweetness.
22 comments23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2009
I just finished watching The Long Grey Line again and was moved anew by the tradition of "The Long Grey Line" of West Point cadets and proud to know that my father was one of them.

The Long Grey Line is one of John Ford's most sentimental movies and rarely given the credit it is due. It has always been left in the dust by reviewers when it is compared with most of Ford's other movies. It may not be Academy Award caliber, but it makes up with a high degree of authenticity, only changing a small amount of facts to make the flow of the whole movie easier. Most people don't realize that a good portion of the movie was filmed on site at West Point in the early 1950's. My father, West Point class of D-Day 1944, was one of the two technical advisors for the movie to ensure the accuracy of the movie and as a child I watched them film many of the major scenes for the movie at West Point and as a special treat was allowed to meet members of the cast at a party. I am glad to see that so many people have reviewed the movie with such glowing reviews!
11 comment19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2005
The movie overall is really a great story; the quality of the DVD is what really is what I find as poor quality. It's almost as though some one copied it using a video camera recorder. I already own a copy of the VHS tape and it is a far better version of the film. The actors are classics. I can only say good things about Maureen O'Hara and Tyrone Powers. Ward Bond also. There were others who were in supporting roles who deserve mention; still the story is one that really what is s classic piece of Americana that deserves remembering.
22 comments20 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 1999
If you have already seen "The Quiet Man" 30 or so times and wish to see another Ford gem try " The Long Gray Line" The story of Martin Maher,s years at West Point. Sentimental..yes...not too profound ..maybe. However, Ford directed this picture with so much love and care its hard to resist. All the cliches are in place...all the apparent platitudes are here....BUT John Ford turns them into truths of the human spirit that no director could approach. Finally, if you recall the final reel of other Ford classics such as " The Quiet Man" ..The Searchers" "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" "How Green Was My Valley" ..you will notice again..what is being said here ...in this film,s..final reel.!!
on September 24, 1999
One of John Ford's best, developed around T/Sgt Marty Maher's inspiring 50 years of service to the USMA cadets. Has become a very popular nostalgic treat since the video release, as its emphasis on character and patriotism were the inspiration of many young men in the late 1950's to consider military service. Should be a standard item in every high school/college video library to help inspire today's value-hungry young people.
on August 2, 2001
This is a good old fashioned film similar to the English film 'Goodbye Mr Chips'. It has lots of old fashioned values and contains humour, pathos, passion and sentimentality which will tug at the heart strings!!! I defy anyone not to have a lump in the throat or a tear in the eye when the long awaited Marr baby dies shortly after birth, or when James 'Red' Sandstrom Jr. comes to vist Marty at Christmas with his mother. I just love the whole tone of the film - the director has got the atmosphere just right. A real cracker of a film lacking in any real violence or nastiness I am pleased to say. It is a film I can watch again and again. Even my husband, normally quite reticent with such films, was impressed. That to me was praise indeed.