Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on July 20, 2000
For inspirational words of hopes and desires, noone out there does it as prolifically in fiction as Ms. Steele. In, "The Long Road Home", readers are witness to a profound story of victory of the human spirit.
We meet Gabbie Harrison at a young age and follow her harrowing journey from vile physical child abuse by her wealthy mother, irritating ignorance from her father, and a 10 year old girl who is then totally abandoned into the hands of a strict yet loving Mother Superior.
It is here at St. Matthews Gabbie meets Father Joe Connors. Going against all they know to be immoral, a relationship of impossibilities flowers. Only to be gnarled into deep emotional desperation.
Gabbie's long road home takes her then to New York, to be on her own, to her writing, to more disappointment and despair. How she survives and conquers is a lesson in forgiveness and fortitude we can all learn from.
A well written story that moves quickly. I highly recommend this insightful read.
Thanks for your interest & comments-CDS
11 comment25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2000
The Long Road Home was the 1st Danielle Steel book I had ever read...and I LOVED it. It sent me on an emotional roller coaster. One moment I was Angry, then Sad, then Happy...throughout the book, I was up and down. I never knew what was going to happen next. Because I enjoyed the book so much, I have begun reading ALL of her books, starting with her very 1st. To anyone who has never read a Danielle Steel book...The Long Road Home comes HIGHLY recommended. Enjoy!
on April 23, 2005
Danielle Steel writes one of her best novels about a young girl named Gabriella who is physically abused while growing up. Even though she is from a wealthy family, her mother continuously beats her for the smallest things. He father, a weak man, allows it to happen. Through a series of events, Gabriella is abandoned by her family and is raised in a convent by loving and supportive nuns. She is relieved that she does not have to interact with her mother. Although she is physically safe, she is lonely and empty. As she grows into a young woman, she discovers love and begins to enjoy life. In the end, she is able to restore healing and wholeness from her childhood racked with lies and abuse.
on July 11, 2000
The Long Road Home By Danielle Steel
The book The Long Road Home takes place in New York. There is a preppie family that consists of a mother, a father, and one child. The mother is abusive to her daughter. She beats her up every time she turns around. She beats her for everything whether she does anything or not. Her father does not beat her, but he doesn't put his foot down and stop her. He just gets drunk and cheats on his wife and eventually leaves them. It takes a lot to make me cry, but I bawled through that book. I give it a five star rating. I recommend this book for adults and older kids because it might be too disturbing for younger kids.
on October 17, 2000
The best word to describe this book is that it was thoroughly "addictive". I just found myself struggling when I had to put my book down and anticipating my next free time so I could continue the other pages of the book. Before I knew it I had finished the whole book too fast. The author ingeniously created a character so inspiring in a young girl named Gabriella. There's something about reading about the trauma of the young child, tales of her horrific abuse will haunt every adult reading this book. This is a book that makes us ponder about the lives of other young children such as Gabriella, whose life has been scared by inhumane parents and the people who look and knows what is going on but decides to just look by the fences and not get their hands dirty. It is as if the book is screaming , "The people who choose to ignore what they see are equally as guilty , They are just as the cruel and sadistic parents!" Two thumbs up for such an emotionally charged story. A story that touches the core of our own humanity, and challenges us to reach out to the wounded. One of the best books Danielle Steel has written so far.
on August 7, 2000
This was my first Danielle Steele book,and,having just finished it,I must confess to being exhausted with all the terrible pain and emotional torture that the heroine endures. She kept wondering why people called her"strong".I can't imagine anybody being as strong as she without having a total nervous and physical collapse.If such brave women exist,they have my total admiration to be able to survive such horrors from childhood!Are there really appalling women who torture their children in this way? God help the children if such monsters Do exist.
on November 21, 1998
I found, as a person with physical abuse in my past, this novel was very touching and difficult to read. However, it reinforced very sharply to me several important points. Steel advocated through her writing that a person cannot blame themself for life occurrences beyong their control and among other things, it is important to face your past. I instantly felt connected with Gabbie. She captured childhood thoughts I still clearly remember verbatim out of my mind. This is my new favorite book. A must-read! Trust me, it's worth your time!! (and don't forget the kleenex!)
on May 30, 2002
Oh, my God! I have never read Danielle Steel before, and I certainly expected more than what I got from this bestselling author. The story was full of pathos and grabbed my attention all right, but much of the horror came from the poor quality of her writing and research. Such stories of abuse do exist, but I don't think Steel has a clue about the real impact that the (unrealistic) conditions she set up would have on a young girl like Gabriela. The dialogue was pedestrian and she continually "told" us what emotions her characters were having, rather than "showing" us through skillful storytelling. I will run rather than walk if I see another book by this author coming my way.
on December 9, 2000
This book follows the character of a young girl called Gabrielle and is set in New York. At the beginning of the book she is constanly abused by her cruel mother, while her father stands by and is seemingly powerless to stop it.
When her father finally leaves Gabrielle, her mother becomes involved with another man and runs off with him, leaving Gabrielle at a convent where she is 'adopted' by the Mother Superior, who loves her very much. At the convent she meets a priest and they fall in love, but their love brings disastrous consequences, and two lives are lost.
Now Gabrielle has disgraced herself she is forced out of the convent, and has to face the world on her own for the first time. She finds a home at a boarding house, where a kind Professor befriends her, and becomes like a father to her. She also comes close to death once more at the hands of a trusted friend.
Gabrielle now has to live with the crimes she believes she has committed, and embarks on a journey to unlock the secrets of her past and her parents.
This is a brilliant book, and I would recommend it to everyone.
on December 17, 1999
The Long Road Home,was an outstanding book to read. I didn't understand how the parents of this little girl could not love her. It showed me that not all people are made out to be parents. I thought the little girl was a strong person for putting up with her parents. When she was sent to live at the church with the nuns,it was good for her to get out of the situation she was in. She was still very quite and was into writing her novels. I thought what she did when she got pregnant by the priest, was an excuise for somebody to love her.When she had lost the baby,she found hope in finding her parents.She found out her mother had died and her father was living only a block away.I think this book is a great book for almost everyone to read.