Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotland to South Africa
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 16, 2014
Loved, loved, loved this book. Pure escapism for those of us who cannot ride a motor bike but who love adventure. Their tales of adventure throughout Africa made Africa become part of my "bucket list". This beats a novel any day.
on March 9, 2014
Wife and I enjoyed the series. I am a motorcycle touring rider. I enjoyed the segments on preparation, logistics, the story, and the sideline stories of this event. It inspired my wife and I to begin donating to UNICEF again after seeing, how UNICEF was providing its service around the world.
I was impressed by the BMW bikes the guys were riding the punishment the bikes take during this journey, the candidness about the mistakes they made preparing and executing the journey.
Over all an excellent account of the event, I even bought the book after watching as well as The Long Way Round video.
on February 9, 2013
My husband actually got this book from his sister. We don't watch much t.v or keep up with "celebrity" so I had no idea there was a prequel to this book. I know we live under a rock.

I skimmed through it but at first didn't like that "Ewan and Charley" took turns with their impressions of the trip. I thought it would be tedious to read and went back to another book I was reading.

What a mistake!

Three months later I picked it up again as a last desperate grasp for entertainment and was surprised and enthralled. It's a fantastic journey taken by two obviously great pals.

I was wrong about the writing style it enhanced the book, fleshing out the incidents from both amusing viewpoints. It's probably a journey that many of us have dreamed of doing and reading this book was a delicious vicarious experience. I finished today feeling like I was parting with two friends and hoping I would see them again soon.

I'm off to the local video store tonight to get the DVD and of course I will hunt down Long Way Round. If the second one was this great I can't wait to curl up with the first one!

A definite must read.
on November 14, 2013
I have seen the film numerous times, but it was great to follow along with Charley & Ewan's adventure in text format. The book added a different dimension to the film, more insight to the guys' feelings and experiences, and details that weren't included in the movie. I recommend reading both the book and the film for the whole Long Way Down experience.
on August 12, 2013
Life is all about the journey and what you make of it. This book is an incredible look into an adventure lived by Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Borman. These seem like two guys who are great fun and good solid people. Terrific insights into the local cultures and countries. Their other book "Long Way Round" is also good but this through Africa is fascinating.
on February 12, 2011
Having loved the series of LWD I was hoping for good things from the book. I suppose after the lack lustre LWR book I should have know what to expect! This is sadly like the first book, slow paced, not especially descriptive, a touch dry and focusing more on the petty tensions and frustrations than the actual journey. Funnily enough you didn't get a feel for the tension from the TV series, but this book really focuses upon them. Charley has a habit of name dropping all the sponsors and equipment providers, which although I know they have to acknowledge, the body of the text isn't the best place to do so. One redeeming factor is the various colour plate sections which show the journey in quite a good light and the maps are up to a good standard also. It seems like a great adventure and the TV series showed that aspect really well, the book on the other hand is a little dry. Worth it if you're a big fan of the series, other wise you can give it a miss and not worry too much.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on April 18, 2013
If you loved the TV series you're going to love the book. Tons more stuff they couldn't fit in. Great gift.
on March 2, 2009
I watched the videos of this and "Long Way Round" and read both books. I thought "Long Way Round" was better, but this was still well worth reading. Ewan and Charlie have a good chemistry and it comes through in the book. The only thing I would have liked to have seen done differently is to have a little more of the support characters such as Russ and Dave involved. The cameraman almost disappeared entirely and he was pretty prominent in the last book.

Still an enjoyable read.
on August 6, 2009
I am a fan of Ewan and Charlie. Their trip around the world in Long Way Down inspired me to replace a Harley with a BMW. For anyone who is a fan of motorcycles and has a dream of riding in foreign lands, this book offers great enjoyment. Now most of us won't have a support crew and sag wagon, but these guys still manage to keep it real and this fun read shows you that not all movie stars are spoiled hollywood brats.
on March 15, 2009
Story too rushed, deadlines forcing abbreviated adventure. Too bad they didn't take their time and tell the full story. Experienced bikers know mistakes were made, making the trip more hazardous and difficult than necessary. Nonetheless, it was a sometimes heartwarming and sometimes frustrating read about an expedition few would undertake.