Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Longhorns
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on November 27, 2014
This is a very sweet, romantic, gay drama wrapped in a somewhat raunchy, immature college-boy comedy package. Fortunately, the latter doesn't ruin the former. The actor playing main character Kevin, a young Billy Bob Thornton look-alike, does a great job of playing a good ol' boy coming to terms with his sexual orientation in 1980s Texas. There's some simulated sexual activity and even more male nudity. (Penises seem to get a lot of attention.)
on July 7, 2012
I first encountered Longhorns at the Chicago Reeling Festival in the fall of 2011 but waited until I finally bought the film before presenting my review. As my review title says, Wonderful, and Funny, Heartening, Romantic, and a ton more adjectives. Having myself survived the era in which this film is intended to portray, I can vouch for the accurate confusion of the main character. In that era it often took a young man quite some time to come to grips with being a homosexual; upon "coming out" their self-respect would be devoured as society did not want to deal with "queers", thus only the brave (or stupid) allowed their sexual preference to become known (if they themselves even knew). But writer/director David Lewis has appropriately interlaced drama with humor to give us an accurate vision of that time. The two main characters, Kevin (Jacob Newton) & Cesar (Derek Efrain Villanueva) give us a wonderful indication of the difficulties of the time, with Cesar being "out" and Kevin being "closeted". I must admit that I was quite surprised to see Dylan Vox cast in a heterosexual role, albeit a rather disquieting heterosexual; but true to form, Dylan brings the humor necessary to endear the audience to the character. The remaining supporting cast gives realism to the drama, vision to the romance, and laughs to the humor. To sum up; Longhorns is a well written, superbly directed and exceptionally acted portrayal in the early 1980's of a young man coming to terms with his sexuality through friends , romance and love; although some of it is rather surrogate from his friends. If you're looking to be entertained, this production will not fall short of that goal.
on March 20, 2012
I liked this movie. It was in many ways a trip of self-discovery for at least one of the characters and had its sweet moments. Frontal nudity was refreshing for a gay film for a change since most times, if you're lucky, all you get is butt shots. I recommend this as light entertainment.
on September 30, 2014
I wasn't expecting a lot from this, but ended up in love. The story, the guys, everything fits.
on November 16, 2013
I thought this was a fun, playful gay movie, and I've actually rented it a couple times. There's not many gay romantic movies out there, and this one was fun. It's not like major Hollywood super well written or anything.....but hey......you get to see a good amount of skin and some full-frontal, along with a feel good theme. What more can you ask for?
on December 9, 2012
The main character certainly is not 100% on the straight-Bi-Gay scale! It is his journey to discovering that it is a hansome young man he has actually fallen in love with. Good ending. Silly straight boy fooling around in between.
on October 22, 2013
This film has the production values of a documentary, not a budgeted film. I am wondering if it might have been a college project or something.

At any rate, it makes for a good diversion for a little while. Pop a bowl of popcorn, grab a soda, and let your mind wander to a world where college boys will be college boys and then some......
on June 3, 2013
Like most movies of the genere they offer lots promsie and potential and then fall short. The acting and store line better the longer you watch but then falls short and fails to deliver a satisfactory ending. The parts that could be funny is sort of and not well developed and the serious elements fail to really deliver any type tension.
on August 21, 2014
I found the plot interesting and the actors were very hot. I liked to see their front sides instead of just the cinematic suggestion. I have purchased this DVD; the unedited version. I would like to see more gay movies like this one w/ a good plot and full frontal.
on January 9, 2014
If I could figure out how to click half a star I would have given it three and one half stars. I liked the four main people in the dorm. They did a good job of playing their roles. The story line was weak but the conclusion was satisfying.