Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

These look-alike puzzles by Joan Steiner absolutely fascinate and delight me at the same time. You can hand a child one of these books and she or he will be occupied for hours. I have certainly spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out some of here look alike puzzles in the past and working through them with children.

The work being reviewed here is of the same quality as the author's past work, which is to say that it is outstanding. Her three dimensional photographs are sort of like mini works of art in their own right. Each scene is hand crafted in the artist's studio, photographed, rearranged by someone with a very crafty mind and who is quite attentive to detail. If I am not mistaken, this is the fifth in this series.

The author/artist has given us some good challenges. I might say right now that these books are targeted for the 4 through 8 age group, but I can assure you that age has nothing to do with it. Some of these activities will challenge the adult as much as they will the child. This book not only offers look alike pictures to examine, but also pictures where the reader is asked to name a number of items that are the same, rather than different which I feel is a nice twist.

With each activity you are told what you must seek, such as 50 look-alikes, or 12 differences, as an example. Some of these are easy, some of these are difficult. The number of goals in each activity varies.

The author has used different scenes ranging from those in a typical house to amusement parks, street scenes, construction sites, farms, villages and zoos. There are over 900 look-alikes in this work.

The author has provided a well designed key for each activity which is located in the back of the book.

This is an ideal work to hand to a kid on a rainy day or on a car trip. It is the type of work that more than one child can use at the same time without difficulty and as a matter of fact, it is often times even more fun to work these puzzles out with a friend or sibling, than it is alone.

Each puzzle or activity has simply directions provided so the users know precisely what has to be done or accomplished.

From a leaning aspect, I cannot think of a better way to quietly teach a child to observe, observe and observe. The skills taught in this work and others in the series, can be carried over into just about ever aspect of the child's life. Learning, developing skills and having fun doing it...can it get any better than this?

These are nice books and I do feel this is the best one so far. There is a lot of entertainment packed into this work and the buyer and user will most certainly get their monies worth.

As I said before...I love these books!

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2012
I really love the Look Alikes series of books - they are creative, fascinating, and entertaining to my family.

HOWEVER, I was very disappointed in this "Puzzle" book, because most if not all the pictures were taken from the previously published Look Alikes books. There are some slight modifications (probably using photoshop or some editing software) and that's about it. For example, in a comparison of two pictures, a pencil sharpener is yellow in one and the same pencil sharpener in the other picture is another red.

For a real treat, I recommend just paying for the real Look Alikes books (I think there are 4) and skipping this "Puzzle" book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 26, 2015
Categorized by Amazon for 3-6 year olds I have to tell you that most kids this age will not be able to find all the differences and look alikes. We brought this book home from the library I 'did' this with our 11 year old son. I couldn't even find them all! Thankfully answers are provided in the back.

Each puzzle incorporates both the 'Look Alike' and the 'Differences'. The book is full of puzzles. Great for leaving out on your coffee table for visitors and family just to pick up and peruse. Definitely not just for children! Keep those little gray cells growing!
on November 20, 2013
I purchased this book because as an empty nester I have little to keep young visitors to my home busy. My guests, from five to twenty-five, have been captivated by this book and others in the series and they seek it out when they arrive. My husband steals it from the bookcase when he realizes that he will be visiting the reading room for an extended sitting. Even my elderly parents have marveled at the pictures and loved trying to find all the hidden objects.
on April 14, 2014
This is a thin volume. Bound tightly & not easy to use. The challenging part were the 2 categories to find, "Look-a likes" & "Differences".
Personally, I liked the book format and puzzles better in the 2 Brain Games Picture Puzzle books. I wish there were more of that series.
on May 29, 2014
My six year old loves the Look-Alike books so when I saw the puzzle book we had to get it. It is a huge hit and keeps us entertained with finding what's different between each picture and looking for look-alikes. I would recommend this series of books to anyone that likes the search and find books.
on June 20, 2013
I purchased this as a gift for a young relative at Christmas time. I love this artist work. Her creations are endlessly fascinating. How very sad that she passed away so young. There will never be another Joan Steiner, she was a one of a kind creative genius.
on December 25, 2013
The original Look Alikes books are AWESOME!! I didn't read the description on this and used it as an add on to get free shipping. It's great for the cheap price I got but not as cool as the original books.
on September 7, 2013
My grand child loves searching for the hidden objects and is amazed at the old old objects that she has never seen. Hours of interaining fun.
on January 14, 2014
She is 7, but loves puzzle solving....It was one of her favorite gifts and we can do it together! By the way, she is very good at it!