Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Look-Alikes: The More You Look, the More You See!
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 7, 1999
I haven't purchased this yet, just have the library copy here. I heard about the adult version when it first came out, but didn't know there was a Look-Alikes for kids. I don't know what the age recommendation on this it, but my 3 1/2-yr-old is absolutely fascinated by it! Guess what he's getting for Christmas! And since I love things like this, everytime he says, "Mommy, come look at my library picture book" I drop what I'm doing and sit down with him. To me, that is the ultimate compliment - this book has prompted me to sit and concentrate on spending time with my child more often, and that's priceless. And believe it or not, most of the objects in the pictures aren't that obvious to adults, so when I point them out to him (excited that I myself found them), he's absolutely delighted. We've tried to push toys on our son that are not passive, where he sits and watches a battery-operated thingy do whatever it does, toys that encourage active participation and imagination, and I can't imagine anything better than this book. Just my thought, but I think this book and the original Look-Alikes are invaluable tools for teaching people of all ages to thing outside the box, shift your perception, and that's something that's good for all of us! Guess you can tell that I can't say enough good things about this, Ms. Steiner is an absolute genius.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 1998
I bought this book for my nephews and niece (ages 11, 9 and 4) who came to visit this summer. I was so excited at purchase! The incredibly clever scenes take hours to comb through, and you really view a lot of these objects differently after seeing the book. (Buildings made of fig newtons; thumbtack glassware at the soda fountain; an upside-down iron as a boat.)
However the actual children were a bit blown away. They looked at it and were interested, however many of the objects used were things they'd simply never seen and so couldn't pick out. What 4-year-old can tell that a bunch of tulips is really pistachios on sticks? Even the 11-year-old had never seen a flour sifter and therefore wasn't impressed by the sifter/water tower.
On the other hand, their mother (age 34) and my boyfriend (age 33) spent as many hours as I did on this book and are still delighted with it.
I personally collect beautiful children's books as a cost-effective alternative to coffee-table books. For my purposes, Look-Alikes is absolutely perfect.
on June 12, 2000
The pictures in this book are just stunning, and so clever. I've had this book for a year now (we keep it in our bathroom) and I've still not found everything!
Each photograph is magnificent, and well taken, while the collages - for want of a better name - are really ingenious. Some objects take forever to find - the peanut pony tail, the mushroom car tires, and some are perfectly obvious, though you'd never have considered that a disposable razor could look like a vacuum cleaner. It's beautiful to look at and fun to explore. If only Steiner had left it at that and not tried to write poetry to go with it. The rhymes are unbelievably inane and stilted and take away from rather than add to the book.
This edition may actually be too difficult for children, as many adults seem to have trouble finding all the objects. "Look-Alikes Jr." came out soon afterwards and is much simpler, though just as much fun; much more suited to the under 12's and the less patient!
This book will last so long and provide so much enjoyment that it's well worth buying for the whole family.
on January 23, 2002
Look-Alikes and Look-Alikes Jr. were show-stoppers at my house this Christmas. Poring over the pictures is an absolutely great activity that everyone, all ages, can join. The only problem we had is that there wasn't room for everyone to look at the book at the same time.
Something she doesn't say in the book but does reveal on the CD-Rom: these are photographs of actual dioramas, not photo- or Photoshop-collages. Amazing!!
on February 28, 2000
This is a book that has been entertaining to all family members from the age of 9 to 78 years of age. Each person who picks it up cannot bear to part with it. The colors and photo layouts of each page are filled with warmth and depth. Even without close scrutiny the immediate "feel" of the photos is that you are glimpsing into a moment of time long gone. There is an "old world" feel to the pictures. Upon closer review you are repeatedly amazed at how your eye first deceived you. Absolute creative genius is what makes this book one to purchase-for any age. Especially wonderful for those who love puzzles and DETAIL. No detail is left out and no detail is left to its own nature. A twist on reality that delights you with every turn of every page. A must buy for sure.
on December 29, 1998
This is a wonderful book. My ten year old son loved it! He spent hours looking at all the pictures and trying to figure out how they were made. You can see something new in each incredible picture every time you look at it! Our school library has ordered several copies. The creativity in this book is just too much fun.
on April 23, 2000
My son received this for his 9th birthday. The adults loved it as much as he did. My mom ordered several more copies to use as a games at "grown-up" parties. Even the little ones liked it because you don't need to be able to read. This is a great book for all ages and well worth the money.
on July 2, 2000
Welcome to a land where the more you look, the more you see. Teddy bears made from peanuts, chairs from pretzels, dresses from balloons. Entire scenes like a coffee pot train, a station roofed by badminton raquets, a harbor made from...everything! This artist's imagination gives your eyes & your ability to discern what it is you are seeing a real, awesome workout. What a gift this book will make!
on March 1, 1999
I purchased this book 4 days ago and my 3 children (5, 9 and 11) haven't put it down. They keep finding more and more look a likes everytime they open the book. It's brought them closer together also by sharing with eachother what they found. I'm hoping Joan Steiner will write a sequel.
on September 19, 2002
Joan Steiner's "Look-Alikes" is endlessly interesting for kids and adults alike. This self-taught artist employs everyday items--tea bags, Fig Newtons, miniature hair combs, matches, tissues, strips of licorice, graham crackers, torn-up sponges, pencils, and so much more--to create the most astonishingly lifelike scenes.
You can see everything from a port city with boats arriving to a soda shop to a candy store to a classroom, each filled to brimming with trinkets and everyday articles of every kind, each employed as something other than what it really is (Fig Newtons as seat cushions, for example). The result is utterly fascinating. You will spend hours looking through the book--you may even, as I have, try to hide it from your kids so YOU can finish looking at it! Highly recommended.