Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: PaperbackChange

on June 22, 2014
Excellent read. Could not put it down. The story captured the heartbreak and love during the beginning of Aids. The author captured the fear, love and times -- and held us captive in the story of Martin and Matt. Thank you for writing an outstanding story. A must read for everyone!!
on May 26, 2014
I had this book on my Kindle for over two weeks before I dared to peek into it. I decided to sandwich it between two lighter weight stories so that I could buffer myself from the wave of memories that was sure to surface for me. I spent my own coming of age years and young to mid adulthood in San Francisco and had friends and acquaintances who died during the onset of the AIDS pandemic. In many ways, I have been running from those memories ever since. I was a volunteer with The Shanti Project, an organization like the Hyacinth Project described in this book and I knew gay couples whose experiences mirrored the couple in this book. I went to college and hung out some with Cleve Jones, who started the NAMES Project, the AIDS memorial quilt discussed in this book. My best friend went to Washington for the display of the quilt described in this book. His brother's panel as well as the panel of many of his co-workers and friends were there at that display. The book reached me on so many levels and I can not recommend it enough to anyone who would like to know, from a first hand perspective, what it was like to be in the midst of such devastation. Watching a generation of young gay men be wiped out by a disease that left so much heartache and pain in its wake was hard. But the book shows well the level of heroism that lovers, friends, parents and professionals rose to in tending to the ill. Unless you were an eyewitness, it is hard to grasp the enormity of that place in our history. Edward C. Patterson gives the reader a ring side seat to those times. If you were there, it will remind you. If you weren't, you will now know what it was like because Mr. Patterson gives you your own personal ticket to witness it through the eyes of the very memorable characters in this outstanding novel. This read is not for the faint of heart but it is a beautiful love story, well crafted and worthy of your time. Thank you, Mr. Patterson, for a heart wrenching, wonderful read.
on April 6, 2014
Good book,a real tear jerker but well worth it, couldn't put it down. Cried my eyes out, but loved it
on November 14, 2013
Although there's an continuing thread of terrible sadness in this story of individuals, couples, families and broader communities dealing with the effects of the AIDS epidemic, the endearing quirkiness and humanity of the main character prevents the story from being maudlin. I was totally engrossed from the beginning, and quickly developed a strong attachment to the wonderfully believable characters.

I hate to give such a fabulous book only 4 stars, but the editing was truly atrocious. No major problems, just missed words, extra words and incorrect words, but it was a constant problem throughout. Having to frequently reread sentences to work out what was probably meant impeded the rhythm of reading and became very frustrating. However, this book is so good that I would still recommend it, regardless of this annoyance.
on September 4, 2013
Why be careful? Because this is such a heart breaking story that's why. Be prepared. I, unfortunately, just finished reading it on the mass transit bus while coming home from work and I was really breaking down badly. The other passengers most likely really wondered what I was reading.

I have read a lot of Edward Patterson's books and this one is, by far, the most emotional, the most moving. I am nearly sorry that I read it - not at all because it was a bad read or anything like that - it was a GREAT READ! No, the reason I am nearly sorry that I read it is because there is just so very much truth written through the words in this book that it's scary to me.

Why is there not a cure or anything like that - an inoculation, a vaccine - SOMETHING to prevent HIV/AIDS? Why isn't more money being spent for this research?

As I have said in other reviews of Edward's books, I rarely give a 5 star review. If there was a rating higher than 5 stars though, I would go higher for this book. It's got to be read by more people. Encourage your friends, encourage your doctor friends, your nurse friends, your legal profession friends, and especially any friend whom you love as a brother, a sister, a husband, a wife, son or daughter!
on March 16, 2013
Awesome book. Saddest thing ive ever read. Tore my heart out. Will love it forever!
Three stars books i like
Four stars books i love
Five stars books that are extraordinary
on November 20, 2012
I enjoyed all of Edward Patterson's books which I've read and this one is at the top of the list.
It's such an emotional and touching story which cuts pretty close to my heart because I was also a caretaker for a loved one with a terminal illness. I cried buckets as I read the book and relived some of the emotions that Martin went through. I cried for Martin, for Matthew and for the love and devotion they had for one another.
Thanks Mr. Patterson for writing such an emotional and realistic story.
on January 2, 2012
I've never cared for most romance novels and completely avoided stories about gay romance. I assumed the romantic aspects of a relationship between two people of the same sex would escape me and I expected to be overwhelmed and depressed with stories about young people suffering and dying of AIDS.

I never was homophobic. I always felt that no one would choose to be a victim of society's hatreds. If anything, I felt sympathy that some people are born so unlike the majority that they become victimized. I was disappointed when I read Ed's book about surviving an American Gulag. I may be a little dense at times but I thought the army had judged him unfairly when they assigned him to the group of misfits. I was hoping he would show the army that they were wrong about him.

Then I read Ed's Indian poems and was completely captivated by their beauty and sensitivity. They made me want to learn more about this man. I finally decided to read "Look Away Silence." After reading this beautiful love story, I completely accept and understand that the essence of love is more than the differing ways that gays and straights express their love. The characters in Ed's story are so real that they must be part of Ed's personal life story. I was so absorbed in "Look Away Silence," that I didn't notice even one error (if there was one),

I have been the caretaker of three family members during the last year of their lives (two from lung cancer and one from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma). I felt Martin's agony and wept as he dealt with all the sorrowful aspects of his lover's dying experience. A well-written and deeply felt story.
on March 30, 2011
In today's world of m/m romance/erotica this was a change. The book takes place during a time of tremendous grief with the explosion of AIDS/HIV. A touching tale of loss that hits home when as a country we were unprepared and uncaring to those in need. Where we failed the caregivers flourished. I cried and cried and became much more aware of the strength of person and character needed by those in the gay community. I have gained a new found respect for all involved as you kept your dignity and triumphed against much opposition and insensitivity by. May your loved ones rest in peace. My hat is off to you and my heart goes out to you.
on January 2, 2011
I hit the "sample" button for "Look Away Silence" with some trepidation. Did I really want to read an AIDS love story and all the anguish it promised to deliver? I had it on my Kindle for several days and only opened it up after being seriously bored with my other samples. Of course, I was hooked after the first page and the endearing character Mr. Patterson creates in Martin Powers. Patterson portrays an era and puts indelible faces on the lovers, caregivers, and families of a devastated generation. Being a writer myself, I so greatly admire his slight-of-hand writing technique. There is often a keen rhythm to the phrases, the perfect word to convey a unique character. This must have been a terribly difficult manuscript to pen; a fear of getting it right for all the fallen angels. He got it right. I hope that the e-book revolution opens up Mr. Patterson's writing to the greater audience he deserves.