5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Yogurt maker
Published 13 months ago by Cait W

1.0 out of 5 stars DIDN'T WORK FOR ME
I couldn't get this thing to make yogurt the right consistency. Actually, only once out of about a dozen tries did I get anything that even vaguely resembled yogurt, and then only because I added gelatin. It didn't seem to stay warm enough throughout the entire unit. The instructions are no help at all. I sent it back. Love Amazon's return policy!
Published 5 months ago by goodstuffaloosa

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Yogurt maker, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Look Good Feel Great YM-6/2393 Yogurt Maker with Storage Container (Kitchen)
We have had a number of different yogurt makers in the past, dating from old models from the 70s. Most are pretty much the same. They heat the milk and culture (either active yogurt or an added culture) and keep it warm so that it can ferment. Yogurt making is a fairly simple process. You can also make yogurt using a pot on the stove and transferring it to a container to fermet after reaching the right temperatures. We've done it this way as well, but you have to monitor the temperature of the milk... getting it hot enough to kill the any bad bacteria, then letting it cool down to the right temperature so that it won't kill the cultures when you add them. The yogurt maker lets us make yogurt without having to watch it so closely. Some of the other models we've had in the past have had a timer on them, this one doesn't but it doesn't bother us as we've never really used that function.

As for the flavor of the yogurt, we've always used yogurt with active cultures as a starter rather than adding cultures. If we buy yogurt from the store, we always buy plain yogurt. After living in Europe, we have developped a taste for plain yogurt with fruit or honey added to it. The other yogurt we've bought in the stores always have tasted too sweet. I noticed other reviewers had mentioned that the yogurt was tart or didn't taste very good. I am guessing that it is just a difference between truly plain yogurt and sweetened yogurt. The texture of the yogurt varies depending on what type of milk you add (whole, skim, etc). Whole milk gives a naturally thicker texture. Skim milk yogurt tends to be more watery, but you can add pectin to it to thicken it. That is what they do with fat free yogurt you would buy in the store.

If you are considering purchasing a yogurt maker, you might want to try one of the recipes you can find online and use your stovetop and a pot first. The results you produce with that will be pretty much the same that you'll get from a yogurt maker. You can play with different combinations to find if you like one. Then, if you decide that it is what you like and you want to continue making yogurt, but not have to monitor the process this is a great purchase.

I hope this is helpful. Happy yogurt-ing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great !!, June 1, 2014
Just got my yogurt maker, and have only made one batch of yogurt. It turned out really good. Since I didn't have any milk in fridge, I tried making it with powered milk. I followed the directions using the powered milk and a couple of heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt, I mixed it up put it in the container and I turned it on at 9 pm and off at 9 am.. It was perfect. Since the milk was made with tap water it didn't need to warm up, and as the directions says 12 hours is about right for the yogurt to ferment. Next time I am going to use whole milk and see if it makes any difference. I mixed the finished yogurt with some honey and granola and it was yummy. This is super simple to use, I won't be buying yogurt in the store again. I can control what goes into it and not have all of the added sugar. For the price give it a try, It makes just the right amount for about 3 days. The yogurt maker is small and light weight so it doesn't take up a lot of counter space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 10, 2013
Got it from the Groupon too. I thought the yogurt was delicious, very mild and smooth! Added some honey and granola and it was delicious! My two year old loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well!, February 4, 2014
I did not purchase this item from Amazon but wanted to review the product anyway. I have tried making yogurt the traditional way many times, heating up milk, adding plain yogurt and keeping it overnight in the oven with just the oven light on. I tried covering it with a kitchen towel to retain heat, would preheat the oven before putting the yogurt container in, used yogurt culture instead of plain yogurt etc. Nothing worked. I would always end up with runny yogurt that wouldn't firm up even if kept in the fridge overnight.

The yogurt maker is quite small in size and doesn't take up too much room on my kitchen counter. Its also really light weight. With this yogurt maker, I have made yogurt about 10 times now using 2 tablespoons of plain organic yogurt from whole foods that my friend gave me to try as a starter. I haven't bought yogurt since that day :D

All I have to do is heat up milk on the stove as usual, bring the temperature of the milk down to 115 -120 degrees Fahrenheit (I use a thermometer) and pour into the container this yogurt maker comes with. Then I add the plain yogurt (about 2 tablespoons if I filled 3/4 of the yogurt container with milk) that has been sitting on the kitchen counter for about an hour or so getting to room temperature. I plug in the yogurt maker around 10 - 11 p.m. before heading off to bed and switch it off around 8:30 am the next morning when I have my coffee. When I remove the yogurt from the yogurt maker, its warm and wiggly, but I put it in the fridge immediately and when I open it in the evening I see thick yogurt that is ready for use. I also remove the whey that forms every time you remove a little yogurt from the container - This is of course optional, I like removing it because it makes the yogurt thicker.

Plain yogurt is a very important item in my home and making your own yogurt at home is soooo much cheaper than buying them at the store. Plus you control what goes into your yogurt :)

1.0 out of 5 stars DIDN'T WORK FOR ME, July 30, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars great economic yougurt maker, July 6, 2014
Was exactly as described. Works wonderful. Makes great greek yogurt every time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit.. five stars for performance!, November 29, 2014
This is a niffy little tool perfect for making delicious home made yogurt.. Trust me this is coming from a south Indian chef.. we need plain yogurt to round off each meal and this is like a great tool that aids in allowing is to control what we eat and satisfy the daily need for fresh home made yogurt

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 20, 2014
No so easy to operate

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well for me, December 6, 2013
I have used this about 4 times and I think it works pretty well. I always use a starter culture packet, I do not start a batch with store bought yogurt. Maybe that is the difference. I did use store yogurt as a starter one time and it did not turn out very thick, although it tasted okay. Dependending on the starter culture - some make thicker yogurt which is more tart, others make mild yogurt which is not tart. I like the Y5 starter the best. Try different recipes/starters. I think you will find one that you like that works with this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars It may not work the first time, then give a second try., November 26, 2013
I got it from Groupon too. My first try failed. It may be because I used too much milk and not enough culture. The second time I only filled the can 1/4 full of organic whole milk and two big table spoons of store yogurt as culture. Add a little sugar( one teaspoon). It turns out thick yogurt and very tasty (little sour, like Danone plain yogurt). One thing I like about it is that I don't need to heat up the milk. There is a YouTube video out there for this product. It may be helpful.

Look Good Feel Great YM-6/2393 Yogurt Maker with Storage Container