5.0 out of 5 stars This book is pretty damn funny...
If I was going to be trapped on a desert Island and I could only bring three items with me, I would bring a fully supplied fishing boat, a desalinization plant, and a harem of playboy playmates. I would not bring this book. It just wouldn't be practical.

Published on January 11, 2007 by Monkeyman316

3.0 out of 5 stars Has it's moments but is very uneven
Humor in books can be so hit or miss. And so it is with "Look at My Striped Shirt."

Published on June 19, 2009 by B. Feinstein

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is pretty damn funny..., January 11, 2007
Monkeyman316 (Mom's Basement, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look at My Striped Shirt!: Confessions of the People You Love to Hate (Paperback)

But that scenario aside, it's a very funny book. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the site. Even if you've never been to the Phat Phree's website this book will not disappoint.

Take it from me (someone who clearly doesn't write for the Phat Phree) this book is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and Funny., December 31, 2006
I read the Phat Phree fairly frequently, and I was a little concerned that this book would be just a collection of stuff I've already read. But it's not. Sure, there are some of the classic pieces like Striped Shirt and Huge Penis, but I was impressed with how good the new pieces are and how much of the book is new.

There are some stand out new pieces, like "I Will Get Off This Plane Before You", "I'm So Glad You Caught Me, Kid", "Damn, My Pencil-Thin Beard is Perfect", and "This Sunoco is Now Open", but the book is really funny from beginning to end. There are also new supplements and photos with a lot of the classics, like "Striped Shirt", that really make them new again.

All in all, I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys dead on social commentary, and no-holds-barred comedy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and witty!, March 28, 2007
This book is a quick read and then can remain on your shelf as a quick reference to help you identify the various jerks you encounter on a daily basis. Each "person" is described by a title that covers either all or the most ridiculous aspects of their character: "The 'Cool' Teacher" and "I'm the Karaoke Master!" for instance. Each character takes two pages for their own dialog with the reader, exhibiting everything you love to hate about them. This book will provide you many great laughs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, keenly-observed compilation from The Phat Phree, February 28, 2007
'Look at My Striped Shirt' is a well-written, keenly-observed compilation of 'best of' humor taken from the popular web site, The Phat Phree. That site's credo - 'Target. Observe. Ridicule.' - is on great display here. Writers like Mike Polk, Charlie DeMarco, Jesse Lamovsky, Justin Harvey, Chris Queen - these guys are brilliant satirists and writers. It's a quick read, but one you'll be eager to share with friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, but flawed, November 10, 2007
This book applies to two types of people: fans of character sketches and fans of snark. The Phat Phree has delivered both in spades here. From the title character, the stereotypical post-frat boy (i.e. the archetypical douchebag) working out his insecurities by looking down on people around him to the ladybug lady to the clueless boyfriend and many, many other examples of poor character, this book covers many archetypes in a way that would make central casting envious. You might even find yourself in there -- it casts its net that wide.

I want to think more highly of this book, as I haven't bought it but I've flipped through it many times and enjoyed it each time. The concept is excellent, and the majority of the writing is quite good for its purposes. My issue with it is that it too often goes for the easy stereotype, frequently assuming that its clueless characters derive their behaviors from deep insecurities (suicide jokes, while not frequent, show up in a few of the sketches). I do realize that these characters are in and of themselves stereotypes, but such things still come off as lazy.

That said, it's funny, it's pointed, and it betrays a series of authors with a better-than-average understanding of human nature (the section "I am my car" is particularly funny). You'll probably like it, so give it a try. Read it in a bookstore first if you can though.

5.0 out of 5 stars To be Read Aloud. In a Group., April 21, 2007
This is a rare breed of book that can be group activity. If taken as monologues of characters, then it may be read aloud in a circle of friends around a coffee table.

With the proper 'cast', the humor is amplified tenfold. Highly recommended, and completely hysterical.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Life, February 8, 2007
Jason Quentin Teeter "laughingturtle" (Kill Devil Hills, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic.

A synopsis of reality, this book will make many people uncomfortable. The truth is a harsh reality, when confronted pure enlightenment ensues. Give this to anyone you think you know then discuss it. You might just be surrounded by the very subjects contained within.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has it's moments but is very uneven, June 19, 2009

This series of essays skewering many of the most odious stereotypes we encounter (and some I never even knew existed) runs the gamut from laugh-out-loud funny to complete dud. Reading one page you will find others around you staring out you for laughing so loud and then you turn to the next and you hear the literary equivalent of crickets.

Like more and more humor books, this one is based off of the writings of a website, in this case thephatphree.com. You may want to visit the site before buying this if you are unfamiliar with their work and see if you find it at all entertaining.

Definitely worth a skim to see if you might enjoy it. Just don't expect the quality to remain high throughout. Recommended with reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, April 5, 2008
Angela M (MO United States) - See all my reviews
This book is at times dark and warped but I loved it. Very funny stuff. You won't be disappointed if you're like me and enjoy making fun of everything and everyone (including yourself).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, January 8, 2007
Really enjoyable book. I'm glad I bought it. They had a lot of stuff in there that I had never read on the site, which I liked. It's designed well and is a quick read. Very phunny stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Look at My Striped Shirt!: Confessions of the People You Love to Hate
Look at My Striped Shirt!: Confessions of the People You Love to Hate by The Phat Phree (Paperback - December 26, 2006)
$12.95 $11.13