4.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Read
Published on May 28, 2011 by Chels

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, quick read
I read this in two days. Not even two days. A day and a half.
The story opens when two siblings, cleaning out their mother's house after her death, come across a manuscript. It seems to be written about (written by?) someone named Flower. Who is Flower? Let's look and see!
Published on July 6, 2011 by sibyll

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, quick read, July 6, 2011
sibyll "sibyll" (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
I read this in two days. Not even two days. A day and a half.
There isn't much of a plot, but I think that's how this story needs to be. Much as the flower children during the Summer of Love drifted from one place to another, so does this story. I wish, though, that there were some more connections. People (and pets) fall by the wayside, never to be heard from again. Maybe that's what being "free" was all about, but I couldn't relate to that part of it.
I was confused at the end. We never go back to Flower's children, to find out what they thought of the manuscript, or if Flower was even their mother, or someone else. I think this book would be better if that preface was cut out altogether, and we just had Flower's story.
Overall, though, I very much enjoyed the ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Read, May 28, 2011
The first quality the reader will notice is the carefree nature and spunk of the main character, Flower. The reader will be introduced into the world of "hippie". The novel is fast-paced and fun to read. The reader follows Flower's adventures on the train to taking risks by hitchhiking. Living vicariously through the characters is very possible. The experiences in the novel are unusual and will take the reader for a spin. The supporting characters don't have too much of a say in the novel, the reader will focus on Flower and her quest. The plot is interesting, it jumps around as the main character randomly decides where to go next. This is one of the few novels that appears to explore the true hippie world without focusing too much on the subject that a reader may be "turned off". This novel is terrific for young adults who enjoy exciting adventures interwoven with a bit of history.

Capturing the zeitgeist of 1967, this story follows a young girl named Flower as she discovers the hippie counterculture. At turns naÔve and wise beyond her years, scruffy yet beautiful, heedlessly adventurous and endlessly savvy, Flower is a character for any time, not just her own. From "Cowtown, Oregon," Flower runs away to San Francisco to experience the Summer of Love and then goes off on train-hopping, hitchhiking adventures across the USA, with stints working at a bank and at a summer camp disguised as a boy, and stays at both a timber camp and then a commune called Old Bison. A picaresque journey, this tale explores the music, romance, politics, and world-changing dreams of the late 1960s.
Good Reads Summary

*Complimentary copy received for this review, does not affect my opinion in any way*

2.0 out of 5 stars Look at Flower, May 20, 2014
Kristine Fisher (Northeast Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Look at Flower by Robert Dunn, a LibraryThing PDF-format eBook I began reading on May 27th. Although the happiness of a win was very present, it took awhile for me to get around to downloading the pdf and read it now and then from my computer screen at home.

Look at Flower reads alot like beat poetry and alot how a guy would write about a girl (which the book happens to be evident of). The interpersonal relationships are vague and touch-and-go; probably very true of how hippie/communal relationships went on (being tight and reliant on someone for awhile, then drifting on by to the next big thing/area). Overall, I found myself sort of skimming and rushing through it, not too interested in the smaller details as much as where Flower would end up which turned out to be right back to where she had started. Also, I was a little confused about the Bridges of Madison County beginning where Flower's future children come across her journal and sit down to read it, but there being no word after the 'flashback' as to what happened in the spance of time after the journal and who she settled down and had kids with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Look at Flower: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't connect with this book. The story begins with "Flower's" children, who discover her journal after she dies. They knew nothing about her life as a hippie and are shocked to discover this. Then the book turns into her journal and we never again go back to the original characters for closure.

For me, Flower's character lacked depth. I didn't feel the connection to the life on the San Francisco streets that she was supposed to be living. She didn't know much about the music and avoided drugs and casual sex, yet these things were an intricate part of the hippie lifestyle. Her relationships came and went but she didn't seem to care. This teenage girl, relatively sheltered before running off to join the hippie community, seemingly had no problem adjusting to life on the streets despite the fact that she didn't blend in at all with the people there.

We don't learn what happened to her after her hippie experiment or why she kept this part of her life such a secret. The sixties culture has always held a fascination for me - I was a teen in the seventies - but this book was a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ride, June 29, 2011
I quite enjoyed this book. I felt I was on a ride from the first word. It is such an enjoyable book for everyone. It has its warm moments, true to life reality checks and a nostalgic look at life during a time of flower power. It is written a as a memoir which adds to the whole atmosphere of the book- you really feel like you are there.

Look at Flower: A Novel