4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for himself in strange places...
For album number 7, Usher decides to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Working with Pharrell, Diplo, will.i.am, Salaam Remi, Swedish House Mafia, and even Empire Of The Sun's Luke Steele, "Looking 4 myself" finds him moving through a hodge-podge of musical styles in an attempt to find himself.

Amazingly, most times it works. Opening on a shaky...
Published on June 12, 2012 by Nse Ette

3.0 out of 5 stars What is becoming of Usher?
What has become of arguably the face of modern RnB?

What began with the all the lame pop beats spearheaded by O.M.G. is just permeating his albums. From a man who used to have less than 3 throwaway tracks on each album it is quite distressing to only like 5 of 18 songs on an album.

That said this album is very heavily influenced by the current...
Published on June 14, 2012 by Tre

3.0 out of 5 stars What is becoming of Usher?, June 14, 2012
What has become of arguably the face of modern RnB?

That said this album is very heavily influenced by the current dub-step that seems to be invading all the clubs currently and the only track that doesn't suffer for it is "I Care" as usher manages to stay in the realm of RnB by slowing the tempo to a speed that allows him to remind us that "Hey... I can still sing without falsetto!" "Climax" is in my opinion the better of the two singles, "Scream" being the obligatory club anthem, which at least doesn't comment on a woman's "boobies" this time. "Lemme See" is the third of my favorites from the album, staying to the true theme of RnB which is getting women in the sack I only wish usher had written another verse rather than getting a guest appearance from the out of place Rick Ross, this token braggadocios verse is not one of Ross' finest guest appearances. Usher sings a very self reflective track very reminiscent of Confessions era Usher on "What Happened To U" where he looks back on getting wrapped on his career while missing out on a personal connection. And the final quality track is only on the deluxe edition track 17 "2nd Round" a very classic "girl in every port" song, another staple of the genre, but Usher always pulls them off with such precision and dignity.

Other than those, there were 6 tracks: "Drive", "I.F.U.", "Lessons For The Lover", "Looking 4 Myself"(strangely reminds me of the Police), "Scream" and "Sins Of My Father"(superbly written, executed with great mediocrity) that left me with a massive feeling of "Eh..."; songs I wouldn't be compelled to change if I had my music on random, but I wouldn't bump on repeat through town. The rest range from the extremely club pop "Can't Stop Won't Stop" to the Neptunes produced 60s pop backdrop of "Twisted".

Bottom line, if you like Usher for his artistry you might just want to buy the tracks you like, but if you like pop/club music you will likely think this is his best album yet.

I give it 3/5 objectively, but as an Usher fan since 1997 this feels like a 1/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for himself in strange places..., June 12, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)

Amazingly, most times it works. Opening on a shaky footing is the will.i.am-produced "Uptown Girl"-sampling Dubstep "Can't Stop Won't Stop". Much better is the (also) Dubstep "I Care For U" with gut shaking bass and lovely MJ inspired vocals.

"Scream" is Euro Dance with stabbing and swirling synths, sure to get you moving. Other dance numbers are the Guetta-sounding "Numb", and the aptly titled "Euphoria" (produced by Swedish Mafia).

Lead single "Climax" is a shimmery falsetto-sung ballad with rising harmonies produced by Diplo. Other ballads are "Dive", "What Happened To U", and the steamy and lovely "Lessons For The Lover".

"Lemme See" features Rick Ross, a mid tempo meandering groove with Ross oddly name-checking Trayvon Martin, "Twisted" is a retro Funk/Soul percussion-rich number produced by Pharrell, the title track features Luke Steele and is sunny Indie Pop, The spectacular "Sins Of My Father" is produced by Salaam Remi, an atmospheric groove with biographical lyrics. "I.F.U" is set to a percolating beat with Middle Eastern riffs. "Say The Words" is eighties summery soul, akin to Beyoncé's "Love On Top".

The variety of styles is sure to draw the ire of fans of his earlier albums like "Confessions", while also winning him over some new fans. One thing though, his singing has matured even more, and this album shows an artist unafraid of risks. His best album yet, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet!!!!, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
I will have to say that this is Ushers best album to date. It has very orginal beats and melody's. Though fair warning that the lyrics are very very sexy, I have never been so turned on by an album. I can't waite to see all the videos that come from this album. But ladies, make sure you listen to this in the privacy of your own home because you might just get a little hot!!! And fellows there are plently of tracks with deep bass and great dance beats to enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for myself found something even more, July 15, 2012
I.B. (Westampton, NJ) - See all my reviews
This new album from usher puts him on a whole different playing field from even the last album that he did. Now while certain things may soung very similar to his versus album or raymond versus raymond album....there is a wide array of different sounds going on here. SOngs like:

Best cuts that show the total range of sounds on album:

Climax
Cant stop wont stop
I care for you
Twisted
Dive
Lessons for the Lover
Sins of my father
I.F.U. - (Reminds me of when he first blew up form his 2nd album - that same sound)
Show Me

Cons:

The track "Hot thing" could of really been left off. This is the only tru flaw with the album.

Overall I think any fan or non-fan of usher should be pleased and open to the growth and progress made on this album. This is about half the album I named above as being the best cuts but overall I like the album except for one song. I really dont see the fuss over this change besdies the fact that many fans are not willing to hear anything too outside of the norm of what he may usually do. I feel that with the deluxe he has given everyone more than enough of everything he has done thus far to show diversity while still not cutting out too many of his core fans.

Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
I'm listening his music since his first record, and it's getting better..in every detail. He have his own style. This album is fresh, very energizing and brings good emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Masterpiece, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
I'm so disappointed at how myopic the human mind could be at times. This is an artist who takes a leap of chance to explore different genres of music from all over the world,and fuse it into something special for the world to enjoy. But because some aren't use to diversity of the arts they call it garbage? Well news flash, Music should be universal and for everyone to love and relate to no matter what country you from, or what type of music you enjoy. I am a huge R&B fan, and I also sing R&B, but that would never make me shut the door to musical wonders from other parts of the world.

The album is all over the place (in a great way), bold, rich and captivating. Definitely love his creativity and diversity not only in the beats but his features and lyrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars King, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
Usher's vocals work not only on smooth R&B or soul, but obviously it works with club bangers, such as 'Scream'. Tho the title of the album is titled "Looking 4 Myself", he finds himself continuing with pop sounding 'Numb' and 'Euphoria'. I rate this 5 stars, Usher knows exactly what he wanted to do and he did it well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...Really Outstanding Album [Best?], July 31, 2012
C. Lenoir (Tooele, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
I've listened to Usher, since his second album (My Way), and I've followed his progressions. "My Way" was a great album, it was R&B, but it also was a little different from other R&B out, at the time. 8701 just got better; when he made Confessions, I felt like he slipped up a little, but there were good tracks on that. ("Superstar" still gets repeat plays, from me.)

After "Confessions", I started to worry about Usher's career, because "Here I Stand" was a mess, and I honestly didn't enjoy "Raymond v. Raymond", or "Versus"...just way too much of the club music sound.
When I went on Spotify, to listen to this album, I was really skeptical and worried, after three albums of quasi-crap. A friend recommended one of the songs, and I heard it. "Not bad," I said to myself. The next track really impressed me, then I wound up just listening to the entire album. There's not one song on this album that is bad; I can play this whole album all the way through.

Looking 4 Myself sounds a lot different from everything else he's done. The production is really outstanding; it's a mix between R&B, a little bit of hip-hop, and electronic styles. The first words that come to mind, to describe the sound of this album are "crisp" and "beautiful". If you've felt, like me, crushed by his more recent albums, this album may bring back some of your faith in Usher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dedication to a man who has always been a innovator, a man who is never afraid to be himself despite the rumors and lies., July 25, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
This album by far is his most innovative, creative work to date. Usher has truly released a masterpeice here that sadly alot of novice people believe is garbage. First and foremost I will honestly say there is a purpose to this album. Usher named this album looking for myself for a reason everyone and it is simply because he is at a time of his life where he is trying to find his soul in his music so to speak. If you noticed, the album is catering to a wide array of audiences, young and old, to show his versatility and his gratitude to all his fans. If he released a pure r&b album that had no dance music then he would leave out his audiences that really appreciates his style for that music. Basically for the people who are a little lost here his album is a smorgasbord of different genres, beats, and rhythms. It is a musical gumbo, a cohesive melting pot of good music that is full of spice. Ultimately usher was nice enough to bless us and give us a chance to get a inside look at all of his great lyrical talents. I am extremeley grateful to him for releasing such a flexible album that takes me from techno dance to hip hop to r&b and right back to the oldies. I love the wild ride that this album takes the listener on! Thank you usher for all that you do I appreciate you and wish you and your family the best. my heart goes out to you and your family for your son that passed away, you are a phenomenal man and father! May god bless you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Edition) Must Buy!!!, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
While Usher is known for his smooth R&B sound on this album he evolves into a true superstar. One that we have seen before with Confessions(2004). Although some of the tracks have a pop flavor to them Usher has made similar tracks before but with this album his lyrics coincide with the beat allowing you to truly FEEL the track. Yet, there are a few R&B tracks such as I.F.U., Twisted, and Lessons for Love. The whole album can be played without skipping a track. Now you will see some reviews saying that Usher has went pop and this is not true he is jut embracing the dance sound that is taking over all genres. If you liked his track with David Guetta and you love old Usher from Confessions this album is a must buy. The deluxe edition tracks are well worth it and I suggest it. I am in love with this album right now. (and I am a guy just saying it has something for everyone)

Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version)
Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) by Usher (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies