Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 2, 2014
Back in 1975, I was 15 years old, and a friend turned me on to Jackson Browne's first three albums. They soon became the very poetic fabric of my life, full of observations of live and love, and then came 'The Pretender' and 'Running on Empty' and 'Hold On' and, if he had just stopped there, he would have recorded a lifetime's worth of memorable music. But he's given us even more since then, and the world is a better place with Jackson Browne in it.

Having said that, I was both excited and apprehensive when I heard about this release, because many tribute albums fall short of being memorable. But this collection is absolutely stellar. 5-star performances from a great assortment of artists, and it achieves the rare feat of making a record produced by over 20 different people (as each song was produced by a different producer) sound cohesive, consistent, and beautiful.

The interpretations of Jackson's songs here are mostly wonderful, sometimes revealing, and worthy of repeated listening. The producers of this collection have picked an excellent assortment of his songs, concentrating on songs from his first 8 years of recording. Most of these versions are both beautiful and passionate, while at the same time making you want to revisit Jackson's original versions.

Joan Osborne's "Late for the Sky", Keb' Mo''s "Rock Me on the Water", Lyle Lovett's "Our Lady of the Well" and "Rosie", Ben Harper's "Jamaica Say You Will", "Eliza Gilkyson's "Before the Deluge" and Jimmy LaFave's "For Everyman" are just some of the standout cuts for me, but this is a solid 2 discs of wonderful music. Whether you grew up with Jackson or are new to his music, you'll appreciate this collection of his songs. Sara and Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek play on several songs on this collection, and they add wonderful harmonies and accompaniment, not to mention their version of "Your Bright Baby Blues" which really shines. (I was exposed to them on Jackson's DVD "I'll Play Anything" released last fall. If you like this album, I highly recommend that DVD as well if you haven't seen it. )

You can tell when a good deal of thought and effort go into a project like this, and it's obvious that there was a lot of love and time invested here. The performances are heartfelt, the arrangements , running order and assortment of artists just great, and even the CD booklet shows time and attention were put into it. It is colorful, with wonderful photos of Jackson's boyhood home, great song information, and, unlike so many CD booklets these days, it uses fonts that are a size you can actually read!

Don't think about it. Don't download one or two tracks. Buy the whole album. It will make your day better.
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2014
This project does a good job of gathering a lot of musicians who inhabit the same "soundscape" as Jackson Browne and letting them each put their own spin on one of his songs. Some of the musicians stick closely to Browne's original arrangements, while others do something unexpected. Altogether, though, it is still pleasing to folks who would have been fans of Jackson Browne in the first place. Unlike the recent Peter Gabriel tribute ("And I'll Scratch Yours"...which would make most PG fan cringe in horror), this set will provide an enjoyable listen for long-time fans of JB.

Joan Osborne's "Late for the Sky" and Bruce Hornsby's "I'm Alive" put new spins on these songs. You'd expect Hornsby to relish the opportunity to cover the gorgeous piano from JB's original, but instead, Hornsby puts a new acoustic spin on the song. It's interesting...not better than the original, but a nice new way to envision the song. Osborne engages in a similar move, also turning a piano-based song into one featuring her signature plaintive guitar sound.

Other highlights include Don Henley's "These Days," Bonnie Raitt's "Everywhere I Go," the Indigo Girls' "Fountains of Sorrow," Marc Cohn's "Too Many Angels," and Bruce Springsteen's "Linda Paloma." None of their interpretations are earth-shattering. Rather, these musicians seem to also betray their admiration for Jackson Browne as they provide enjoyable performances that show respect to Browne's original compositions.

While some reviewers may be a bit disappointed that only a few of the performers sought to create surprising approaches to the songs, most Jackson Browne fans will enjoy a tribute album featuring songs they know and love, but can still sing along to while enjoying new voices singing Browne's beautiful, poetic lines.
Tribute CDs are a very difficult balancing act to pull off well. If they're too different from the original, people get cranky; if they're too similar, people say, "Why not just listen to the original artist?" "Looking Into You" is a strong tribute set and highlights how brilliant of a songwriter Jackson Browne is. There are no tracks on the set that are clinkers. That said, I do have some particular gems to which I gravitate. On the first disc, Don Henley & Blind Pilot lead off with a stunning rendition of the brilliant song "These Days." It is different enough from Browne's own gorgeous version that Henley and Blind Pilot's Israel Nebeker's vocals totally fill the emotional space of longing and regret, "These days I seem to think a lot about the things I forgot to do for you & all the times I had the chance to." It's a GREAT opening track. Indigo Girls do a blockbuster reading on Browne's gorgeous "Fountain of Sorrow." I totally connect with Amy Ray's vocals and the gorgeous harmonies with Emily Sailers, "What I was seeing wasn't what was happening at all." While I do have a CD by the band Venice, I don't wait with breathless anticipation over their each and every release, but their touring work with Jackson Browne gives them a real feel for what has always one of my favorite songs by Browne. "For A Dancer" reflects brilliant depth of feeling in dealing with the issue of loss, "I don't know what happens when people die; Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try; It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear that I can't sing, but I can't help listening." On the second disc, Keb' Mo's infectious reading of "Rock Me On the Water" has a different feeling from Browne's, but totally sets the toe to tapping as I become once again transfixed by the gorgeous melody. Lucinda Williams' is a perfect fit for the lovely song "The Pretender," "I want to know what became of the changes we waited for love to bring." Her world-weary voice embraces the song as the nearly 7-minute track builds to its powerful conclusion. Other tracks on the set are also strong with Bonnie Raitt's vocals on "Everywhere I Go," Ben Harper's lovely take on "Jamaica Say You Will" and Sara Watkins' vocals on "Your Bright Baby Blues" being particularly riveting to my ear. "Looking Into You" is a strong tribute set that celebrates the great gift of Jackson Browne's incredibly robust and potent songs. Enjoy!
on April 3, 2014
I must admit to being puzzled by anyone commenting that only Williams deconstructed these songs. Judging by that qualification alone, the collection of covers in this release may fall short. That's what I would expect as so few artists can successfully reinvent melodies in a way that complements the original - a skill that really succeeds in rare instances (think Eva Cassidy and her bestselling album, Songbird).

The qualification also misses the point of this recording which is that Browne's strong lyrics and melodies deserve to be celebrated by other artists. Each of these covers is absolutely delightful and allows this song poet to be observed in a setting which he did not construct. As someone who has stress tested every Jackson Browne cd released, I find this recording to be a very welcome addition.

There isn't a weak cover in this collection and in that respect ALL of the artists involved deserve praise. In the interest of providing specific reasons I have for purchasing this CD let me comment on two.

Gilkyson is a singer/songwriter who mysteriously is still flying below the radar. Listen to her rendition of "Before The Deluge" and you'll wonder why this beautiful voice which delivers a ballad in a way that emphasis poetry hasn't been more popular.

If memory serves I had the pleasure of hearing LaFave sing "For Everyman" in concert. He makes the song a confessional that sounds so honest you may think he wrote it. This is one of the highest complements one can pass on to Browne whose writing is brilliant even when sung by another voice. Jimmy's interpretation also shows off a terrific band which delivers on making the song's musical conclusion an affirmation of the human spirit. Well done.

HIGHEST MARKS !!!!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 4, 2014
Before posting this review I see a whole bunch of other reviews – some of which are fairly lengthy. I won’t repeat a lot of what has already been said and will try to provide some additional info.

I’ve been listening to the two CDs that comprise this album (and contain 114 minutes – nearly 2 hours! – of listening pleasure) for a few days and have enjoyed hearing the familiar JB songs as well as ones that are new to me. You see, I’m familiar with Browne – heck, is there anyone who didn’t live through the 1970s who isn’t? – but I probably own only one Browne album. So I can’t say that these are definitive cover versions of his songs. I’ll leave that to JB experts. But A can say that I’ve loved every one of the “Tribute” albums that have been put together in recent years by publicist Tamara Saviano, including the Grammy-winning Stephen Foster one and the Americana Music Award-winning Guy Clark tribute CD. Saviano (along with well-respected singer/songwriter/record label exec Jimmy LaFave) seems to have the magic touch when she calls on folks like Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Hornsby, Lyle Lovett and, yes, Bruce Springsteen, to contribute new tracks to a tribute. These folks are here on tracks that were recorded in separate studios. But the glue that holds it all together are the words of Browne, going back to his early pop hits. Yes, I agree with those who mention that most of the versions are straight “cover arrangements”, but they are fine and, honestly, there is a lot of entertainment value here.

The CDs are housed in an eight-panel digipak with photos of the Abbey San Encino where Browne and his brother were raised (and where his bother Severn still lives)., and a track list. Inserted in a slot is a 20-page color booklet with details on each recording (including personnel) and a series of “quotes” from some of the performers (Don Henley, Bob Schneider, Paul Thorn, Venice, Shawn Colvin , among others.).

So, I’m happy with the CD package and –of course – curious, and anxious to see who Saviano and LaFave decide to pay tribute to next.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
“Anything Phonographic”
on July 29, 2014
Love this album! Admittedly, I am a longstanding and die hard Jackson Browne fan. Many "tribute" albums fail because the popularity of the music was based primarily on its performance, but with Jackson Browne the outstanding quality of the songwriting is a major component of its success. When performed by other artists in this all-star lineup of talent, it sounds fresh and interesting. A few of the tracks are very loyal to the original and you might even think it was Jackson Browne singing if you didn't listen closely, but many of the tracks boldly reinterpret his work. Overall, its great music and the variety of voices make it easy to listen to over and over again. This one has been playing in loop in my CD player for a few weeks. More than highly recommended, this is a "must have" for any true Jackson Browne fan.
on June 9, 2014
I have grown up and old with Jackson Browne as my musical muse. Since his first album, I have always admired and loved his music. This tribute from the music giants to one of their peers and a shining light to so many throughout his musical career is timely.
The era of the singer songwriter may have eclipsed in the 90's, but the heart and soul from his songs have never diminished and it is through Jackson Browne's recent live and acoustic releases that he has found a new place in the hearts of newly found fans and those of his old fans like myself. Buy this and join Jackson Browne in his 25 years of musical journey. Then go back and buy ALL of his older albums. Compare for yourself how the maturing of his music reflects the changes in American society.
This is a GEM!
on April 19, 2014
Others have already said it: these songs are incredible. They need no reworking. Jackson Browne is one of the most gifted songwriters in American history and it says a lot that most of these artists have not tampered with the original arrangements much. The sentiments and situations portrayed in JB's songs are subtle and nuanced. His original arrangements reflected this and it would be easy to trample on them with arrangements that are overwrought, or turn them to mush with settings that are too precious. Producer Jimmy LaFave has carefully avoided doing either one, thankfully, finding just the right balance between an artist's natural voice and the needs of Browne's sensitive ( there, I said it: sensitive ) songs. I'm not fond of Lucinda Williams; I find her voice grating. But she turns in an acceptable reading of "The Pretender". The Indigo Girls may not have been the best choice for "Fountain Of Sorrow", either, as their voices lack the fluidity of Browne's. Bob Schneider's muted reading of "Running On Empty" isn't bad, just not up to what the song is capable of delivering. Beyond that, I'm pretty much liking everything else I'm hearing here. These songs need no revisionism, just interpretations that respect the facets of Browne's complex lyrics. If you like Browne's original recordings, you'll have trouble with a couple of offerings, as I have. But you'll probably be quite happy with most of these versions, and you'll appreciate Browne's material in the hands of some familiar artists. It's been almost six years since Browne's last record of new material, so this is as close as we'll get for the time being. And it's not bad. Not bad at all.
on August 16, 2014
These compilation albums or tribute albums don't always work out well, but this one is fabulous. Every cut is strong. There is a unity, a feeling of continuity that holds it all together. It is as if the Maestro is present in the production, his attention to detail, seamless. I listened to it over and over for two days, running to the computer to look up each artist I wasn't familiar with and then searched their other work, so I was introduced to some new artists, which was great. Given the different styling, I heard nuances and lyrics a little differently, old songs became new. Familiar songs resonated beautifully. I would give this one ten stars if I could. It wears well.
on April 3, 2014
Nicely done, and some of my favorite tunes. However, it makes you realize how perfect the original performances are. Kind of like redoing Beatles tunes. Often interesting and 'not bad', but some things should be pretty much left alone in their perfection.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse