Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Life as We Knew It forum

Looking for YA dystopian novel suggestions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2008 12:41:07 PM PDT
I'm putting together a list of dystopian novels for my 10th grade English class -- so far, I'm including Rash, Feed, and the Uglies books. Any other ideas? Anything suitable for 15-16 year-olds would be much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2008 8:14:08 PM PST
Liv_Essie says:
The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Scatterlings, Isobelle Carmody

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 5:53:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2009 5:56:08 PM PST
Lizzie says:
House of Scorpion
Unwind
Gone

Posted on Mar 13, 2009 9:23:14 PM PDT
Lostgirl says:
The Obernewtyn series by Isobelle Carmody
Exodus by Julie Bertanga (I believe that there's a sequel called Zenith out soon too)
The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Posted on May 12, 2009 11:13:44 AM PDT
conshydot says:
Tomorrow when the War Began, Marsden

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 3:41:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2009 3:43:17 PM PST
- The White Mountains trilogy by John Christopher (ignore the prequel, When the Tripods Came) Although this series is marketed towards younger readers, the books are fairly sophisticated and older readers can still get a lot out of them.

- Also, my company is republishing "Noah's Castle", by John Rowe Townsend, which is a different sort of dystopian/apocalyptic novel that is centered around the collapse of the British economy as the currency becomes worthless, unemployment skyrockets, and food and other goods become scarce. (Considering the state of our economy, it's a timely topic and should spark lively discussion.)

The story is told from the viewpoint of a sixteen-year-old boy and explores some complex themes. I've included a summary and author bio below my signature.

The book won't be officially released until February, but if you're interested in receiving an advance copy for your class, contact me through my profile (Michael Mihalik, author, Debt is Slavery: and 9 Other Things I Wish My Dad Had Taught Me About Money).

Best regards,
Mike

SUMMARY

Written by award-winning author John Rowe Townsend, "Noah's Castle" tells the story of a family trying to survive during a total collapse of the British economy. Money is worthless, unemployment skyrockets, and food and other goods become scarce.

As conditions worsen, how would people react? When does law-and-order break down and civilized behavior end? How do people balance the needs of their family against those of society? Noah's Castle examines these questions but doesn't provide easy answers, resulting in a unique and thought-provoking story of survival.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

JOHN ROWE TOWNSEND was born in Leeds, England. After earning an honors degree in English from Cambridge University, he worked as a reporter and editor for several newspapers before leaving to become a professional writer.

He has published more than twenty books and has received wide acclaim as a novelist; one of his books won an Edgar Award, six were chosen as ALA Notable Books, and three have been serialized for television. He lives in Cambridge, England.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 7:39:24 AM PST
Pony Rider says:
The Hunger Games
Life as we Knew it
Inheritance Cycle
Nobody's Princess(For younger Readers but still good)
The Mysterious Benedict Society

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 11:25:32 AM PST
Z for Zachariah; The Dead and the Gone; The Stand - even though it is for adults, a 15 or 16 year old can certainly read it. Also On the Beach for the classics.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2010 11:42:22 AM PST
WriterGal says:
kacunnin
Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson Scott Card.

Posted on May 9, 2011 1:42:06 PM PDT
Beaster says:
Matched- Ally Condie
Birthmarked- Caragh M. O'Brien
Divergent- Veronica Roth

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 7:49:57 PM PDT
Life As We Knew it isn't really dystopian, but I would suggest Brave New World and 1984 for a classic look at dystopians. I read them in high school and enjoyed them.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 12:27:34 PM PDT
T. Distaso says:
The Scarlet Plague by Jack London. It is short, it is kind of dull but it was published in like 1910 and the Plague takes place in 2013. It is more of a narrative told by an elderly man 60 years after the plague.
I think it would be a great conversation for Jack London's views of the future, because he does list technology he thinks could happen. It is also fun to think about his own beliefs of his time reflected in his characterizations.

My top 5 recommendations would be
Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins Great overall story with strong political and society structure as well, as well written characters- you may run into the problem MOST kids have already read it.
Gone series by Micheal Grant- This would appeal to your age group IMO as all the characters are 15 and younger. It is not a world wide Dystopian, but rather, a contained area separated from the rest of the world. It more focuses on how a society can fall apart and with kids as the characters how leaderships can be developed both good and bad- supernatural elements as well. Easy to read.
Divergent Veronica Roth- new Book so not many people may have read it, it ranks up there with Hunger Games IMO as strongly written characters and society.
Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness First book is The Knife of Never Letting Go.. There is a Free Ebook Novella to start this off if you can find it.. The New World- not great y itself but a good intro- Honestly I think people will love or hate this book- I devoured it one of my few 5 star books!
Stephen Kings the Stand would be a Classic Favorite for all time.. Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon if very similar and just as good.
Another strong author is Maria V. Snyder- Inside out and Outside In would be great books for class.

I would next list
The Uglies Series By Scott Westerfeld

I have heard good things but have not read
Enders Game
Brave New world and 1984 Both classics in the Genre.

Matched by Ally Condie
The Mazerunner series by James Dashner
Then Author Margaret Haddix has a Series called Shadow Children that has a great base, it is an easier reading level for 10th grade and could use some more fleshing out, but has a great underlying political system that created a no more than 2 children Law-
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Life as We Knew It forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Life as We Knew It
Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Hardcover - October 1, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars (689)