Customer Discussions > The Windup Girl forum

Looking for a adult steampunk series.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2010 4:41:14 AM PST
Basically as the title suggest, I am looking for a steampunk or even a alternate history type of series that are for adults. If there is any books that are not part of a series please still throw them at me. I'm trying to break away from the fantasy genre for awhile and needing another genre of books to read. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 7:16:04 PM PST
China Mieville is a fantastic author who writes in the "New Weird" genre (whatever that means). Three of his novels in particular (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council) strike me as a mix of science fiction and fantasy--they're all set in the same story-universe of Bas-Lag, which has some steampunk elements.

But if you want the real deal, I'd look at Mervyn Peake's Titus series. Peake was a British author who influenced Mieville writing and is (rightly, I think) called the grandfather of steampunk. His novels Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone are my absolute favorite books of all time--steampunk technology, an outdated social system, and a sort of comedy of manners.

I'm probably making all of these books sound more boring than they are, but that's my fault--not Mieville or Peake's. The worlds they built have a steampunk flavor to them, but they're so unique and utterly bizarre that there's nothing like them in any other book. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. :)

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 9:43:13 AM PST
Another Kindle book not available for European customers. Now I have to deal with kindle books, which are either not available at all, not available to me or are way to expensive. It probably takes a few more years until this is sorted.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 1:23:56 PM PST
Baen books has a series of alternate history books, brainchild of Eric Flint but he lets lots of other writers play in his sandbox. It begins with '1632', which is the year a modern West Virginia town winds up in the middle of Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War. It's a great series and at least the first book is available as a free download from the Free Library on Baen.com

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 3:42:03 PM PST
R. Tout says:
Try Barlough's Western Light series, beginning with "Dark Sleeper". They are both steampunk and alternate history. http://www.westernlightsbooks.com/

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:48:10 PM PDT
At the risk of a shameless self-plug, you might try looking into my Displaced Detective series if you like SF and mystery. It involves alternate realities and such. It isn't steampunk (although I just finished a steampunk that's looking for a home), but it has Victorian scenes and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2013 10:34:58 AM PDT
I write an adult steampunk series starring Detective Pat O'Malley, a Civil War vet who fights the Steampunk underworld of post-war New York City. You can check out the series web site at: http://www.contempinstruct.com/Forevermore
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Windup Girl forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Windup Girl
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (Paperback - December 1, 2010)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (565)