Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 22, 2007
This book has everything. It educates the reader on the various looms available and what you can make with them, discusses the different kinds of yarn you can use, and introduces knitting terms and equipment needed for loom knitting.

For the beginning loomer it assumes no previous knowledge, and explains step-by-step how to use your loom, from casting on to binding off and everything in-between, with clear illustrations throughout.

For the more advanced loomer, how to do stitches other than the e-stitch are explained, and then used in projects from simple to advanced.

If you can only buy one book on loom knitting, make it this one!!
11 comment|229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2007
I found myself buying the Knifty Knitter rectangular loom on a whim while at a craft store. I had tried to learn to knit with my grandmother a few years ago but just ended up with a bit of a mess because I couldn't keep my stitches even and often found myself losing count. So I thought the loom might be a good way to try again. The simple pattern that came with the Knifty Knitter just wasn't enough, so I set out to find whatever other information I could find online..and there was a lot! But in the end, I really wanted a book to use a reference and for ideas. The Primer was definately the way to go. It was one of the few that I found that discussed the rectangular loom (as well as the round looms) and included several choices in patterns. It also has a chapter about felting, which helped explained the process and its uses. I'm very happpy with the purchase, and I recommend it to others getting starting in using a loom knitter.
0Comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2007
Like most of the other reviewers, I was super glad when this book came out. I'm a complete knitting moron and I was really struggling with the loom I'd gotten last Thanksgiving. Isela has been a great teacher for me through her web site articles and so I was excited that perhaps this book would collect stuff idiot n00bs like me should know, all in one place.

Well, there is a lot of good info in the book. But for me, it was a bit hard to use. Some of the topics are not grouped logically so I found it hard to understand why they appeared where they did. For example, in the Round Loom Knitting chapter, the book talks about making a slipknot, casting on, some basic stitches, and finishing. Ok so far. Then the book goes into left field for a moment with explaining gauge, and then makes a U-turn back to other cast-ons, knit/purl combos, and binding off after sticking in a couple of practice patterns.

Now, before anyone crucifies me for nit-picking, I should say I write technical books for a living. I know topic organization (as well as editing) and unfortunately, this book needs some...badly. The book isn't doing me any favors when it tries to make me practice the "simple hat" pattern after it inexplicably talks about gauge and before it talks about "more cast ons." Such mixing of conceptual and procedural material is at once confusing and rather off-putting, especially for anyone like me who's never knitted before. It makes me think that either knitters are a scatter-brained lot who can actually follow these meanderings (which I know is not true) or that I'm just stupid for not getting it (which I also know is not true).

That said, once I got past the crappy sequence of info, I started having fun learning the basic stitches and making something. I particularly like the diagrams -- they do a very good job of depicting what's happening when, especially with increases and decreases. There's a lot of new terminology in knitting and the book explains it all.

I think the key to really getting the most out of this book is to use it as a reference. If you're looking only for patterns, buy a different book. The patterns in this book are for practicing, not for actually showing off your mad knitting skillz. Personally, I have no call to knit my own hats and socks, but I probably will knit some so I can practice the stitches and techniques. However, I will refer to this book many times as I get more comfortable with knitting.

If the book was organized more logically, I probably would give it another star. Still, there is a ton of good info here and, organization aside, I'm a lot less frustrated because of this book.
1111 comments|261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2007
This is one of the best books about looming that I have ever seen. It should be listed as a must for loomers, a Bible for loomers, those experienced or beginnners. Precise and easy how-to instructions from stitches to cast-ons, binding off and many of the must knows. I couldn't put it down and already I have finished one of the 30+ projects, looking forward to doing most or all of them. Very straighforward instructions and project turned out very professional looking instead of beginner basic. This book is now one of my treasures.
on March 21, 2007
Isela Phelps did a fabulous job of putting all the information about knitting boards and looms (or wheels) in a clear, easy-to-read guide. The illustrations are great. This book should be the first book you acquire should you become interested in this art.
on February 19, 2009
The beauty of loom knitting is that you can produce wearable items on day 1, and there are plenty of free patterns on Provocraft's website (maker of Knifty Knitter). However, there are very few convenient resources to demonstrate how to produce individual stitches, combine them, and also provide more advanced patterns. This book has all of these.

However, there are a few downsides. The organization of the book is a tad bit flawed, which other have noted. This makes it difficult to use easily as a reference, but not too detracting. Sometimes new stitches are explained rather than diagrammed. This is most notable on the mock-cable knit hat where the cross stitch is not diagrammed like other stitches making it difficult to produce the stitch or adequately learn it to apply to other projects. I'll admit - I thought I understood the instructions, but I did not get the desired result. One other point of detraction is that while the author uses multiple manufacturer's looms, she says things like "blue knifty knitter loom" - it would be more universal to give diameter and peg number.
on March 28, 2007
This book is a primer, as the title says, and it is worth every cent. It covers all the basics, including a lot of basics other books don't even touch on. As an experienced knitter is still has things to offer me and her style of writing makes you want to order part two immediately. Hope we can see more patterns and advice from this author, it is helping us all get more than hats out of our knitting looms.
on August 29, 2011
I bought this after reading all the reviews, but am actually disappointed in the project content. Most of the items are not very original and directions can easily be found elsewhere. The best part of the book is the very beginning 1/3 of it- going over stitches and procedures for starting and ending the projects. But I still refer to another manual (below) because I found some of the directions confusing.
Also,I have no idea why a felting section is included in the last portion of the book. If I was interested in felting, I would be buying a completely different instructional book.
I would recommend the Boye "I taught myself to Loom knit," books instead. They seem to be easier to read for beginners (like me), and come with an instructional DVD.
on March 27, 2007
This book is definitely a "must have" for all loom knitters!! If you are "all thumbs" with needles and have been considering looms, knitting rakes, and boards, but have been dissatified with the availability of products and instructions...fear not...help is here. This book is beautifully written and illustrated. The instructions are so clear and concise that even a beginner can follow them. It is one that I would wholeheartedly recommend for any "loomie". Well worth the wait!! ( I pre-ordered mine)
on May 12, 2007
Don't let the word "Primer" fool you! Whether you just bought your first set of knitting looms or you are an old hand at it, Isela's book adds many new layers to your skills, AND, she is such an interesting writer that normally dry step-by-step instructions are made clear and fascinating to read. This book is chock full of projects and teaches not only the round looms but add patterns for rakes. We also have some felting projects to do too! Another MUST HAVE for your loom knitting library.