1,584 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Injects some creativity into the sci-fi genre
It is absolutely glorious when intelligent sci-fi not only re-emerges, but returns and flourishes with spectacular results. Tucked neatly into this technologically and sometimes extraterrestrial genre of film is time travel. While time travel films aren't always done right, when they are they make one hell of an impact; the "Back to the Future" films, the "Terminator"...
Published 22 months ago by C. Sawin

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels Like a Short Film Drawn out to be a Feature Film
"Looper," written and directed by Rian Johnson ("Brick" "The Brothers Bloom"), plays out like a made-for-TV Philip K. Dick adaptation. This is basically a TV episode or a 20 minute short film drawn out to be a 120 minute feature film. The film has one great idea that is intelligent and thought-provoking, but sadly the rest of the film is mostly generic and cliché,...
Published 17 months ago by Tsuyoshi

4.0 out of 5 stars pebble in the pond, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Looper (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Makes you think of the ripple effect and how we are all related in our actions, knowing or unknowingly. The style reminded me of the Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta movie (cant remember the name). The ending really touched me and got me thinking. Its very much worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly unique story executed just right, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Looper (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this movie. I watched it since I am a big fan of both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon Levitt. It is rare these days that a movie surprises me, but this one has become one of my new favorites. The idea is fresh and new, the casting was just right, and the pace of the story was easy to follow and become invested in. Even though this movie is technically a futuristic sci fi drama, there was not an overload of special effects to distract you. One of the best things about this movie was the child actor that played the character of Cyd. For such a young boy he showed a wide range of emotions, and I could not help but love him. The ending of the movie came with a twist that was both happy and sad, more so because I became so invested in the characters. The plotline may seem silly, an assassin who kills people sent back from future until one day he is forced to kill his older self, but the movie is about how the choices we make today have lasting effects on our future, and if we knew about them how and would we change them. Days after I watched it for the first time, the story stayed in my mind, and these days that can be very hard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looper, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Looper (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Isn't it great when a movie blows your mind with a new concept? This one will entertain all except the almost dead...

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful Fantasy, February 2, 2014
David Baldwin (Philadelphia,PA USA) - See all my reviews
Writer-director Rian Johnson posits a lot of interesting theories in "Looper" about time travel. Can we change the future or is it predetermined? If we could change the future what is our moral responsibility to do so? Some of the theories don't hold water. Others, if you think too hard, make your head hurt. Regardless, Johnson should be given props for trying something ambitious and engaging his audience in a thought provoking exercise. I gave up looking too hard at this interesting film about halfway through and just enjoyed the ride and I would encourage anybody watching it to do the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story-Driven Sci-Fi, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Looper (Dvd,2012) (DVD)
Looper takes a very convoluted plot and feeds it to the audience one bite at a time, so we won't choke. It is an unpredictable film. The protagonist is at times also the antagonist. There are actions the protagonist takes that are unforgivable. He is not a likable guy. Bruce Willis does not come along to save the day.

Looper is slow at first. This perhaps follows a new tradition of not introducing main characters until the movie is almost half-over. Characters I expected to see in the second half were not there at all, and the action did not pick up until the last twenty minutes or so. By then, my eyes were glued to the screen.

The movie has an important message about selfishness and selflessness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, October 15, 2013
This review is from: Looper [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
You ay want to watch this one twice. But I found the story compelling and the movie paced very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars We can change the future, October 13, 2013
Damian P. Gadal (Santa Barbara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Looper (Amazon Instant Video)
Much better than expected. Sci-fi time travels movies are very intriguing to me, so I thought I'd give this a try not knowing exactly what to expect. What I got was well paced and well balanced story telling with just enough action to keep it moving along at a nice clip. Leaving me thinking that any of us can change the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie Blu ray, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Looper (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I love Bruse Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt did a great job. I love Syfy movies and this one was a good one the ending is a big surprise. I did not see it coming out the was it did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another Movie, July 14, 2013
Could have found a good old time movie for 5 dollars or less at big lots that would have been just as good to watch the wife likes shootem up movies and she thought it was so bad she fell asleep. special effects if that is what you want to call it was poor and unrealistic or just hard to believe. The so called time travel chamber seem to be just a big pot with nothing to control it just step in and go. well dont want to tell you the movie but it will fill in the time when there is nothing but reruns on...

2.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, but not quite 3 star worthy., March 26, 2013
This review is from: Looper (Amazon Instant Video)
Flashback sequences didn't always make sense as to why they were necessary. They rather looped themselves. Fair acting, Willis does not impress and Gordon-Levitt's make-up distorted his otherwise charming looks.

Looper (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
Looper (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] by Rian Johnson (Blu-ray - 2012)
$26.99 $9.99