Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: DVDChange

on July 10, 2012
No, it is not the new version, that one comes out in August 2012 from what I just read in 30 seconds, and this one says release year 1972.

This one is an excellent movie, right down to the real reason we had such movies, to impress upon our youth the morals and life lessons that would serve them as they grow up (and tone down their bratty-ness while we tried to raise them ;). Wholesome viewing seems to be (greedily) replaced by so much, whatever is selling, such as; reality shows, snapping bones, all sorts of violence, as well Special FX and zero-heroes to replace a well done script. This is one example of what was good - watching a story unfold and feeling the connection that all kids (and even adults) have, and the ability to relate to, and appreciate; the values of right and wrong, and of course; wisdom.
on March 19, 2012
Warner's re-releasing the 1972 version of the classic (25 min) film based on Dr. Seuss' film is a plus for all of us. The story is timeless - the lesson of greed vs. environment. This version is narrated by Eddie Albert and stars Bob Holt as the voice of both The Lorax and The Once-ler. Our favorite images of the Truffula Trees and the Thneeds are all there. I remember when this was first released, at a time before Earth Day was celebrated and environmentalism was in its infancy. I highly recommend this film for any family DVD collection.

Here is what one of our youth critics have to say: The Lorax is a wonderful film based off of the beloved Dr. Seuss book. It shows the story of a greedy Once-ler who only thinks of himself and in his selfishness he destroys the Truffula trees. The Lorax, who speaks for the trees, tries his hardest to save the land and its inhabitance, but will his pleas be enough to stop the tyrant Once-ler? I enjoyed this film very much and I thought the cinematography was wonderful because it is exactly like the illustrations in the Dr. Seuss book. Being able to see the world through the creative eyes of Dr. Seuss is wonderful and now you can, better than ever, with the deluxe edition of The Lorax including an Ultra Violet copy of the movie. This movie delivers fantastic messages about caring for the environment and respecting the earth we live on. I like the Lorax character most because he stands up for the land and teaches that being greedy and self-centered leads to destruction. I loved all of the music in The Lorax and I especially liked the first scene when you see the land in all of its splendid glory. I give The Lorax 4 out of 5 stars for its strong messages and great classic entertainment. I suggest this film for ages 4 to 10. Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.
on July 16, 2012
This is the original version with the great 1970s animation that I remember watching in school as a kid. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not at least as good as the new one- for what it's worth, the version has the better rating on rottentomatoes
on February 28, 2014
I used this movie with my high school biology class during a discussion of evolution and asked them to find an example of each of the mechanisms of evolution (selection, mutation, migration, and genetic drift). It was a fun activity and a break from the usual routine.
on December 19, 2014
The bad reviewers need to pay attention to what they're ordering and stop leaving bad reviews because they made a mistake. The newest Lorax movie sucks and I have been wanting the original for years now, but didn't know they had come out with it on DVD. I'm so glad I found this!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dr. Seuss has been adapted to film many times before and many of those times, the film didn't feel like there was much Dr. Seuss to speak of, "The Lorax" may be the exception to that rule. Originally published in book form in 1971, "The Lorax" is one of Theodor Seuss Geisel's, aka Dr. Seuss', more socially conscious books. Its message isn't hidden or disguised, in fact it stares you right in the face, "sometimes I think progress progresses too fast."

The original book made a simple plea, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." It was a message to young children to care about the world around them and to stand up for things they believe in. It was a beautiful message then and it couldn't be more important of a message for children of today as well.

The movie sticks to the original story better than most Seuss adaptions, although it certainly hammed it up considerably to suit the kind of entertainment that kids of today are accustom to. It follows a kid named Ted who is motivated by something most people and young boys are motivated by at a certain point in their life, a girl. The world Ted lives in has been manufactured. Air is for sale. There are no trees. There is no grass or dirt. So when the object of his dreams, Audrey, tell him the story of the mythical living trees, he goes on a quest to impress and find a tree for her.

"The Lorax" is a lot of fun and has a great message about caring about the world around you. It is a good Dr. Seuss adaption with beautiful Seussish colors and characters. In a world driven by the almight dollar, "Lorax" is probably coming along at a pretty opportune time. I don't think "Lorax" has enough to push it to the top of the pack as far as animated movies go. It will probably fade into mediocrity after a few weeks, but for now, it's definitely something children and adults alike will enjoy at the movie theatre.
on March 26, 2015
While the Lorax is very entertaining, it has a much deeper message about how consumers and the drive for profits is effecting our environment.
on January 16, 2013
I bought this for my 2 year old for Christmas not really paying attention at it other than the name. When I opened it, I was disappointed at first because it was the original and not the remake. So i went out to the store and bought the remake. One day after Christmas we put it in and boy was I surprised. It was GREAT. My daughter loved it more than the remake. I would recommend this to everyone who loves the Lorax. This was a great unintentional buy.
on February 8, 2013
I love this original version of the Lorax. However, as far as little ones go they will usually like the recent version more because the musical portions were added. They enjoy the songs. As far as content this one goes for really getting the message across that we need to be aware, and it does a great job. Thank you Dr. Seuss!
on January 6, 2015
Without a doubt, hands down, undeniably, the best Dr. Seuss story and film adaptation ever created. This puts the remake they recently made to utter shame. This film is great, and really gives a naturalistic vibe about keeping the world habitable for all. Everyone should see this, children and adults alike.