5.0 out of 5 stars Read the Enemy's Mail
Alcorn takes on a formidable assignment here: recreating the spiritual tension and truth of CS Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" while adding a more modern framework for the story. He succeeds brilliantly--and, let me add, gives Lewis credit for the basic premise.
Published on June 24, 2000 by Eric Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Lord Foulgrin's Letters
I haven't yet read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (It's on the kindle though for Thanksgiving). But the premise intrigued me and my aunt recommended this book as well.

I'm kind of torn on the book. I understand what the author was intending to do, and the story of redemption was interesting and moved at a good pace - but the letters were.. wordy and...
Published on November 13, 2009 by Lydia

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the Enemy's Mail, June 24, 2000
Eric Wilson "novelist" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In each chapter, we follow the struggles of the Fletcher family. The scenes are snippets really, backdrops for the corresponding 'letter' in each chapter where Lord Foulgrin strategizes this family's downfall in diabolical ways.
Though I might've enjoyed more fictional fleshing out of the Fletcher's story, I was far from disappointed by Alcorn's insights into the spiritual world. This book will peel back the deceit of our culture and challenge you to put your household in order.
Is CS Lewis turning in his grave over this book? If he is, it's probably to give Alcorn a hand. In reading the enemy's mail, you'll be equipped to better thwart his devices to divide the homes of America...including your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could, I'd give it 10 stars!, August 3, 2000
I've ready all of Randy Alcorn's books, and have repeatedly gone back to reread "Deadline" and "Dominion" over and over again. He has always written with such authority on the subject of heaven and hell, which tells me that he has great insight into what the Bible says about this subject. "Lord Foulgrin's Letters" was another outstanding work done by an author who has become one of my all-time favorite of Christian authors. His point of view when writing as Lord Foulgrin was sometimes chilling, yet totally believable, and has served as a reminder that the demons only goal is to destroy us and discredit us before God. Although this is a work of fiction, I liked the fact that Mr. Alcorn continually quoted Scripture, in its context, throughout the story, letting us know that Satan and the demons know Scripture too (maybe sometimes better than some of us Christians). I look forward to his next work, and because of his track record, I'm certain it will be captivating and enthralling just like his previous works. Don't ever quit writing, Mr. Alcorn!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real "eyes in the back of your head" opener, July 24, 2005
This review is from: Lord Foulgrin's Letters (Paperback)
"Know your enemy. Read his mail." is what is stated on the back cover...and that is exactly what you get! This book shows you that the things you overlook everyday, those little challenges to your walk, are not just a coincidence. A man I greatly respect once said, "There is no angel named Coincidence", and Lord Foulgrin's definately proves it. I can't tell you how many things this book has made me realize about spiritual warfare. It is happening, and the niave will take that gentle slope, without sharp turns, down to that unhappy place that they don't want to believe really exists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deadly Enemy You Can't See or Touch?, June 25, 2000
Randy Alcorn shows us how real and active the principalities and powers of the spirit world really are. His take off on C.S. Lewis' classic, Screwtape Letters, gives practical updated insights into Lord Foulgrin's evil mindset. This book may be so personel, you feel uncomfortable when you realize how many times you have, like me, been tricked by Satan and his demon messengers. Don't stay in the dark on this subject - read Lord Foulgrin's Letters and be enlightened and empowered.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Screwtape" for the new millenium, March 7, 2001
Tom Hinkle (Tulsa, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I originally had no intention of buying this book, first because it looked like a blatant rip-off of C.S. Lewis' classic "The Screwtape Letters", and second because I was not too crazy about a previous novel written by this author. After looking at the book in a Christian bookstore, I saw it was in a little different format than "Screwtape", plus it was a very attractive book to look at, so I took the bait. And, Randy Alcorn, if you're reading this review, I repent of my previous attitude, because this book is a winner in every way.
Unlike "Screwtape", "Lord Foulgrin's Letters" alternates between the correspondence from Foulgrin to his apprentice demon, Squaltaint, and the earthly activities of Jordan Fletcher, the human to which Squaltaint has been assigned. In the beginning, I wondered why someone as spiritually bankrupt as Jordan Fletcher even needed his own personal tempter (I guess that's why an underling was assigned the job), but soon enough, despite Squaltaint's best efforts and Foulgrin's best advice, Jordan begins to move toward a greater spiritual awareness, thanks to the witness of one of the friends with whom he plays basketball regularly. In Foulgrin's correspondence, the author covers all the bases as far as the tricks of the devil are concerned. In giving a glimpse into the spiritual realm, the book reminds me a little bit of Frank Peretti's novels. But the practicality of this book makes it far more valuable than your average work of fiction, for it increases awareness of the traps that Satan's henchmen can put in one's path. Plus, there are some interesting twists at the end. All in all, a stellar effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lord Foulgrin's Letters, January 4, 2007
This review is from: Lord Foulgrin's Letters (Paperback)
While I enjoyed the book and got a lot from it, it wasn't a page burner for me. It was interesting to see how the enemy twists and uses our human flaws for his good. It really shows the spiritual battle that is always raging on around us. It makes me think about guarding my mind, heart, eyes, and ears from things. If you've wanted to read C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, but just couldn't get through them, then this is a good read for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Is Real, Christ is Real, but I Am A Worm: My Review of *Lord Foulgrin's Letters* by Randy Alcorn, March 3, 2011
This review is from: Lord Foulgrin's Letters (Paperback)
How do you describe a book that changes your life? Some might think that an audacious question to start a book review with, but it is the most appropriate question. I finished reading author Randy Alcorn's *Lord Foulgrin's Letters*, and I feel such a unique mix of joy, sorrow, guilt, fear, awe, and yearning. This novel inspires such deep contemplation, because of the deep issues that it invokes, and because of the rarely made insights that it gives us.

*Lord Foulgrin's Letters* is a modern "sequel" of sorts, to C. S. Lewis's *The Screwtape Letters*. Alcorn admits that he patterned the work on Lewis's book, and in the book, the evil tempters reference the "shake-up" that happened when the letters fell into the hands of "CSL". The premise is the same, only instead of only hearing the story of the human subject and his friends from the content of the letters, you see a pattern of a short chapter of a page or two, followed by a 2-3 page letter. Some are shorter, or longer, than this, but overall, the book follows this pattern.

In the book, just like with Lewis in *Screwtape*, Alcorn touches on numerous issues that many other authors here in the West do not often talk about. He makes clear the very Biblical (and thus true) reality of a spiritual realm just outside of our senses wherein angels attempt to protect us, and demons stalk us mercilessly. He also makes clear that just because they know they will lose does not mean that the Devil and his forces will stop. Indeed, this just makes them more bitter against us, and desirous of maximum harm against us, and through us against our Savior.

Like Lewis, Alcorn recounts how the seemingly "small" sins are the ones that can get us in the most trouble. Few of us will commit murder, but our pride, resentments, lies, and so forth, can rob us of our effectiveness for the Lord, and maybe keep others away from Him.

I could go on and on about the areas that Alcorn speaks of, be it the phoniness of our modern-day anti-christs called liberal pastors and multiculturalists, the evils of modern culture, the nature of love, and so much more. I want to stress instead an aspect that so few books teach, but that I am truly thankful that Alcorn covers thoroughly.

Those who have read his later book *Heaven* will not be surprised at how often he covers this theme. Heaven is *real*, and though we will worship God eternally, it is not to be one eternal time of singing trillions of verses of hymns for all of eternity. We will walk with Christ, our brothers and sisters in the Lord, and angels. We will see new wonders. We will experience the universe as it was *meant* to be, before Adam sinned, and all of us through him.

You see, Heaven and Hell are real places. And I am ashamed to say that I have had the negative view for so long. I viewed Heaven as boring, when it is the most exciting and wondrous place ever. Like CS Lewis, I am now beginning to see all the little "joys" here on earth as mere shadows and fleeting glimpses of the true Joy of Heaven. Imagine it, every day exploring the cosmos with our fellow-believers and our Beloved Lord.

I am now recognizing what a vile little worm I really am. God is so much, and in so many ways I have failed Him and keep on failing Him. I feel such shame, but know that He will forgive me and help me. He already is.

I could keep on going, but it is hard to describe just how much this novel impacted me. I think that the reason is because, unlike other so-called "Christian fiction", this book used the Bible extensively, so the Holy Ghost spoke to me by it. In the end, the Bible is the best book, and I have seen that reiterated to me by the wonderful words of Alcorn. The Lord used this fictional novel, imbued with Scriptural quotes and truths throughout, to bring me closer to Himself. For that, I will always be grateful to Mr. Alcorn for allowing Jesus to use him in this way, and for God and My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for saving me. Amen and Amen! Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think..., July 3, 2003
This was an excellent book! It really made me think about God, angels, demons, and spiritual warfare. It also made me think of all the times that I have been decieved by the devil, and have not even known it until later!
This book is based on The Screwtape Letters, a book by C.S. Lewis. Lord Foulgrin's Letters centers around the life of a middle-aged man named Jordan Fletcher and his family, which consists of his wife, daughter Jillian, and his son.
Jordan Fletcher had always felt like something was missing in his life. Unfortunately, he did not know what that something was until much later. Although he was a successful business man, and had almost everything that he wanted, he just could not figure out what he was missing.
Unknown to Fletcher, someone is watching someone...and that someone does not have Fletcher's best interests in mind. Somone is trying is plotting his downfall and trying to destroy him. Someone that human eyes cannot see is assigned to him and is trying to keep him in the dark.
A demon (a fallen angel) named Squaltient has been assigned to Fletcher and is trying to keep Fletcher from realizing that God loves him. Not only is Squaltient trying to keep Jordan from seeing the truth, but his boss, a demon named Lord Foulgrin, is also trying to destroy Jordan!
As you read this book, you will see letters that Foulgrin writes to Squaltient, instructing him on how to make Jordan and his family hate eachother, how to keep Fletcher from becoming a Christian, and many other things.
One of the things that I liked about this book was how Alcorn gave his characters depth. Jordan Fletcher seems like a confused, selfish, and angry man at first, but later on in this story, he has a real change of mind and heart. His wife acts just like a sad and frustrated women who is not a Christian would. Foulgrin seems like an angry, evil, blood-thirsty villain.
If you want to read a great book that gives you a better prespective on the visible and invisible war that rages everyday, than read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Know Your Enemy!, March 29, 2003
Alan Attebery (Arlington, TX USA) - See all my reviews
"Lord Foulgrin's Letters" is one of the most engaging books I have ever read. From the moment I started reading it, I did not want to put this book down.
Lord Foulgrin is a upper-level manager in charge of a few demons, including the demon who has been assigned to Jordan Fletcher, Squaltaint. Lord Foulgrin has written letters to Squaltaint, instructing him on how best to keep Fletcher firmly in their service and not the Enemy's (God) serivce. These letters have now fallen into human hands and have been put together in this book for all to read.
Based on C.S. Lewis' popular "Screwtape Letters" book, there are two major differences. First, this book is nowhere near as difficult to read as STL was. Secondly, before we read each letter we are treated to a snippet of the life of Jordan Fletcher and his family. This make for a much more entertaining and compelling book.
As you read this book, you will find many similarities between your life and Jordan Fletcher's life. In addition, you will often feel like the letters from Lord Foulgrin are about your own life. The letters will make you think and review your own life to see how the demonic enemies have directed you off the path.
One of the best fiction books of all times, you should have it as part of your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars PUT THE DEVIL IN PROPER PERSPECTIVE, September 2, 2000
Tracey-ann Thomas (Jamaica, West Indies) - See all my reviews
Our accurate perception of God is critical to our relationship with Him. Likewise, if you know what God says about you and who you are then you need to know what the Devil will do to taint, or rather, destroy your relationship with the Almighty God. So, READ THIS BOOK. Find out what the Devil has in mind when you watch TV even though you feel a tug in your spirit to turn it off and go read the Bible. What does he want to achieve when you want to share the gospel with someone but don't because you reason that they are not yet ready or you don't want to come across as pushy. How does he twist your mind by controlling your language? Read this book and understand why the devil hates when we worship - truly worship. Are you soldier in God's army? If yes, read this book and be even more prepared to fight the battle.

Lord Foulgrin's Letters
Lord Foulgrin's Letters by Randy Alcorn (Paperback - September 13, 2001)
$14.99 $12.48