Lorell Executive High-Back Chair, Mesh Fabric, 28-1/2"x28-1/2"x45, BK
Color: BlackChange
Price:$137.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 7, 2012
***Update 2/7/13: This chair is model LLR 86200. Someone turned me on to a possibly nicer version out now, LLR 86205. It seem to be the same chair but with more adjustment options and about $40 more. I've never seen a 86205 yet, but want to let you guys out there know it exists. Also, both of my 86200 chairs are still going strong and I still love them. ***End Update***

I've owned this chair for more than a year and work in it 12hrs per day... Things to know:

1) Price: $168. Can't beat it, I've looked. (Update 6/26/12: Seems there's been a price drop down to $140 w/shipping recently here and elsewhere.)

2) Like, but can't afford, an Aeron? Then this is the best sit you're going to get. There are a few good $250+ chairs out there that match this chair in comfort and fit, but none beat it. Only spend the extra money if you just have to have a prettier chair (yeah it looks like some kind of cheap asian knockoff because face it - it is.)

3) Quality: Lasts. I wear out chairs fast, especially the seat. Anything not rated for continuous use tends to fall apart in about 3-9 months. This thing is still standing after 14 months and I haven't even had to tighten the screws. The cloth seat has resisted the occasional drink/snack stains too.

4) Little quirks: Armrests, they are what they are. They work, but are a bit wobbly per design as is common on such chairs. Chair back - it's rather large and when you get up quick, you'll spin the chair around and the back will almost always bang the desk. (Think of it like carrying a long ladder and suddenly turning around... you're going to whack stuff by accident on occasion knocking keyboards, drinks, etc around.

5) Fit. First chair I've bought without sitting in it first either in a store or at a client's office. I don't know if you're 5'2" 90lbs or 6'5" and 350lbs. All I can say is if you're somewhere in the middle it has enough adjustment range to fit you. It's designed to be fitted into your body like an Aeron, but not so extremely specific that you need to worry about a certain chair frame size like Aeron. Again, as long as you aren't in the extremes of body size/type, I would say feel comfortable ordering without sitting in it first. It will comform to your needs.

Being a well-traveled consultant, my butt has known pretty much every chair out there. If you need a chair that you can sit in continuously for long hours every day this is it. I was frankly surprised at how well it has served, and find myself back here buying another for my wife.

If "pretty" is important to you this isn't it. There are also more comfortable chairs for sitting in 1 hr per day, but as said above... once you get into serious use like I do your choices get narrowed down quickly. It used to be Aeron or backache. Now that this chair is out, as long as you can deal with it being a bit ugly, you have the option of comfort on a budget.

Another thing to know: This chair does come in 4 configurations like a leather seat covering with headrest, etc. I just don't see it on amazon. However, you don't really want the leather for extended use (heat + wears out quickly). I personally recommend the configuration here as ideal.

One last bit of advice from the trenches: If you haven't educated yourself in proper seat positioning, it's worth the time. I'm not some chair snob, but little things do turn out to make a big difference. Proper seat height can save knee aches and have a big impact on neck ache (looking up vs. straight ahead vs. down at your monitor). Tilting the chair ever so slightly back takes a load off your spine. I used to just go with what felt good when I sat down, but time has taught me better.

I'm giving it 4 stars, but not out of any real fault. There's nothing I hate about his chair. Aeron is simply the 5-star gold standard and this falls short because it's 1/4 the price and couldn't hope to compete on subtle pricey touches Aeron has. Just like a Cadillac will never be a Rolls Royce, it's a darn good chair but simply not the absolute best.
5757 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2010
Quite a bargain, we started with purchasing one of these chairs to check out the quality and durability for everyday use in the office. We always purchased the Aeron chairs at the hefty pricetag of > $500 a pop. These chairs are very, very comparable in my opinion. The users love them. They are fully adjustable and mesh seat and back. We have since re-ordered seven more for every person in the office and everybody loves them. Great morale booster, and we finally replaced the outdated office chairs. Simple to assemble the arms, and delivery was amazingly fast - 2 days they were on our docks! Would definitely recommend!!
on March 28, 2010
Very nice for long gaming sessions (6+ hours). Fabric durable and the mesh backrest gives support and ventilation. Controls allowed me to set the position of the chair to match my body contours. Assembly easy and delivery was faster than advertised. Chair has a good quality feel to it. Arm rests are nice but I prefer not to use them. I am happy the manufacturer designed it that way. The only thing keeping this from a five star rating is the casters. I would like a little more friction in the movement for better stability. This is a minor detail. For the price this chair hits the mark and I would buy it again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2011
I just finished setting up the chair and I am now sitting on it. Overall I am very satisfied for the price of this chair.

Pros:

- Easy to assemble. Took me 20 minutes, and I did not have to use any of my own tools. The seat assembly already came pre-assembled, so I just had to pop on the casters, attach the arms and back, and stick the seat on the base.

- Good back support - I feel like it is trendy these days for lot of chairs to have a very pronounced lower back bump. This chair does not have such a bump. It has a nice smooth curve to the back that supports the full back through the mid-upper spine. I personally get very bad upper back tightness, and I hunch over too much. The contour on this chair nicely provides support to keep my upper spine straighter. The back also has a good range of degrees where you can keep it fixed.

- Seat height, seat tilt and back tilt are adjustable.

- seat cushion is pretty good, but not as nice as a high-end Herman Miller chair

Cons:

- The maximum height is not very high. I am 5' 10", and I am keeping the chair near the maximum height, although I do have longer-than average legs. If you are tall, and have longer legs, then it might not go up high enough for you

- Armrests are a bit flimsy, but they get the job done. I personally don't like keeping my arms on the armrests much because I find it is bad for my posture, but if you really lean on your armrests, then this chair is probably not for you.

- The back does give a little when you lean back on it, but it is minor in my opinion. If you are a very large person though, it might give a bit more.

- It is not designed to have a "lean back" kind of back-rest w/ tension. The angle of the back rest is adjustable, but you adjust it, then fix it in that position. More advanced chairs will have tension on the backrest, and allow you to fix it in place at a variety of angles. However, this chair does allow you to fix the backrest in a very wide degree of angles, and it seems infinitely adjustable... so you don't have to deal with specific lock points.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I used to work at home 1 day/week. New job change allows me to work at home full time. By the 3rd day, I had a backache and a butt ache from sitting on my old kitchen chair at my home office desk. I realized I would have to invest in a decent chair if I was going to sit in it 8 hours a day. Now as an office worker the past 10 years, I sit in a chair that LOOKS similar to this, and I can say I've never gotten a back ache sitting in the chair at my business and I know what a comfortable chair feels like. So I went to popular office supply stores looking first. I was shocked and in for a lesson! Now MAYBE it's just me, but I think I have stumbled upon something important that all should know: In the office supply stores, they had a great selection - Chairs from $79 to $400. At first glance, the chairs that you THINK would be very comfortable ("Prestige Look", or "Heavy Duty full Leather with 6 inch padded seat and backing") turned out to be fairly cheap ($200 or under) and looked amazing, but sitting in them with my experience of sitting in the office chair at my business for 10 years x 8+ hours/day, I could tell that many of the chairs were generally uncomfortable, conformed more to the EYE (looked good) than to the BODY (ergonomic). I then found a lot of chairs from around $200 to $300, that LOOKED like nothing special - seat cusions only 2 inches thick, seat BACK that was cloth or even see-through, but found these to be BAR FAR superior in comfort, and the ONLY ones that would allow 8 hour shiftee's to be sitting in them comfortably. I decided that if I was to buy any at the office supply store, I would have to pay $300 minimum. The next time I was worked at my business in the office, I checked the model and make of the chair I've been sitting in for the past 10 years and said "I'll just buy one of these - can't be more than $300 since EVERY employee has one". Turns out that the chair at my office is a SteelCase high end and with the movable arm options costs almost $800 dollars! I was blown away. So at this point I've learned - if you need to sit all day in a chair, don't go for looks - go for the best rated ergonomic ones. So I then did a bunch of online research hours looking for the best brands and best models with best reviews. It was a toss up between THIS Lorell 86200 at $170, or one or two similar looking Lorell chairs at $250 - $300. I had a theory, and it paid off: You, like me, have come to know that buying online with some research is pretty much a certainty of getting a better product/price/value than a retail store. So I figured this chair, with very good reviews (save a couple from TALL people which I am NOT) I figured might be as good as the $300 retail office supply store chairs I was testing. And sure enough I was right on. This chair took only minutes to put together. I weight 200 pounds, and I can tell this seat can easily accomodate comfortably up to 250-275 pound folks just from the look and feel of it - although I did not look for the official specifications. The hydraulic lift adjusts up and down, and there are separate arm adjustments for the angle of both the seat and the back - allows you to set each forward, level, or back and lock. The armrests have a button to raise or lower them a little bit, and underneath the chair you can fix the width of the armrests from nice and tight to the body pretty far out for bigger people or if you like the armrests farther apart. The angle adjustment is different than SOME chairs, which you can adjust the tension and preference, but the seat or back gives to allow some more movement after you lock the setting. I found however that setting and locking (which is the way THIS chair works) was just as good as the one in the office where you set it but it still moves a little. I tend to sit slouched almost always - butt forward on the seat, 4-5 inch space in back of me on the seat cushion - and my back pushed back almost as if I am sliding off the chair a little bit. Oddly I find I can sit this way for hours on end the most comfortably, and this chair accomodates that nicely. I read a couple reviews of taller folks not liking this chair, but me being shorter (5 ft 7) and sit slouched, I had no idea of guessing which chair would be good for me. But I lucked out - this chair was around $170 and in my opinion is as good as the office supply store's $250-$300 for sure, and I am very happy with it.
on September 8, 2009
The chair has 3 levers to control the position of the back and seating....love that! It has saved my back from much pain which was often when using basic office chairs. Worth the money since I do software development in a office environment with a lot of sitting.
on June 9, 2010
This chair is a very good value. I've used Aeron chairs at work for many years and like them. However, the price is steep for home use. I have used this chair now for almost three months and it is comfortable throughout those full days in the home office. It is also easier to adjust quickly compared to the Aeron chair. I particularly like the fact that both back position and seat angle can be adjusted to maintain good posture. The only reason I rated it 4 instead of 5 stars is that the seat is fabric covered and I suspect it will be more difficult to maintain over time.
on September 13, 2011
I ordered this based on the reviews, and some people do love the chair. For me, the chair was easy to put together as everything was included. However, I found two problems. First, the chair does not seem to rise as high as other chairs, which is a minor issue for me. However, the biggest issue is that when the seat is released, it doesn't rock back very far--the seat hits the stops just past horizontal so it feels like it only rocks half way. I find that annoying. The back doesn't provide any support when unlocked, and you can't change the support tension for the back. All in all, I will choose another chair next time.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 8, 2013
It's nicely styled isn't it? Though not cheap, it resembles other office chairs costing far more. Initially, it was very comfortable .I bought it in 11/12. By 2/13 it was slowly sinking, not up to the job of keeping my tall, 185 lb self elevated. At first, merely an annoyance--I'd just pull the handle and raise the seat again--by March the seat wouldn't stay up, though it would still go up. Shortly thereafter, my 5'2"" gossamer wand of a wife took over the chair, unfazed by it's stunted capability.

It's been a year now. My wife sill sits gamely in it, though the seat's worn through in spots and the right arm can't be tightened into place.There's a warranty, of which I didn't take advantage: You have to return the chair at your expense. The UPS Ground charge quoted for that was only slightly less than the cost of the new office chair I've bought, which is holding up fine. (No, it's not a Lorell.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2012
I did a ton of research on ergonomic office chairs with mesh backs, and this chair seemed almost too good to be true. We've been using two of them now for over 6 months and I'm happy to report that they're great chairs that I'd highly recommend buying. I've definitely sat in chairs that were as good or even nicer, but most comparable chairs were in the price range of $400-$1,000. So my 5-star rating is about the VALUE of this chair. (Quality/Cost) I am NOT saying it's the best ergonomic chair on the market.

Note that we probably sit in these chairs about 5-15 hours per week. If I worked from home full time or was going to be sitting in a chair 40+ hours per week, then I would have considered some of those $400-$1,000 models.

Adjustable controls include:
-armrests to up/down or in/out and lock.
-rock range is good, and it can be locked into place with a hand lever.
-back tilt range is more than good, and it can be locked into place with a hand lever. Note that before you lock it into its desired position, it'll swing WAY forward, making you wonder if you assembled the chair wrong or something. No worries, as personally I've locked it where I feel it belongs, and left it there.
-seat up/down range is somewhat limited. We are 5'10" and 5'7" and it's perfectly fine for us. But if you're under 5' or over 6'6" you may want to test the chair to make sure that the seat height options will work for you.

Other comments:
-the base and wheels are nice and heavy, solid, and smooth moving.
-the armrests don't look very stylish, and are one of the things that make the chair look a little cheaper than more expensive options. That said, they work fine and are comfortable in my opinion.
-the seat cushion is good. medium firmness and it doesn't make your butt feel too hot.
-the back looks very high quality and is very sturdy. That feature makes this $175 chair look like it costs at least twice as much. It's very comfortable, supportive, and cool. (temperature-wise, and I suppose "kewlness" wise too)
-there is NO adjustable lumbar support on the back piece. I don't have a bad back and I'm not in the chair a ton, and it seems that I got lucky and it just works for me. But if back comfort is something you're looking to improve with your ergo chair, that'd be another reason to test before buying, and possibly consider more expensive options.

10/2014 UPDATE: We've had both of these chairs for almost 3 years now and still love them. They're as good as the day we got them!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations