5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Touching and unforgetable
This is a very touching book, you can't put down once you begin to read it. The life-long story of Lorreta Lynn is powerful and
breath-taking. The words in this book are not fancy, but candid, convincible and colorful, it is the true life of Lorreta Lynn that wins the heart of millions people.
How poor is being poor? What is the struggle to escape from...
Published on May 4, 2002 by paul

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not great literature by any means
The book rambles in the way many celebrity memoirs tend to do, but the movie streamlines the narrative so it makes a much stronger impact on the audience. Lynn dictated her stories to the co-author, which results in an overly conversational style. It's not great literature by any means, but she is a fascinating woman. After listening to this audio book, I can say I'm...
Published 1 month ago by JeriWB

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Touching and unforgetable, May 4, 2002
How poor is being poor? What is the struggle to escape from being
poor? How Lorreta Lynn became a country music diva from a coal miner's daughter? From this book, we share the life of Lorreta Lynn with our own, we see the souls and dreams as well as day to day lives of many ordinary people, especially the humanbeing under poverty.
Lorreta Lynn was born into a very poor coal miner's family in a remote Kentucky hillside. Her father had little money to feed Lorreta and her family, one Christmas, her Daddy had only thirty-six cents (!) for Lorreta and her three brothers. The work was very hard for her Daddy, he had to crawl on his hands and knees to work inside the ream of coal, of only three feet high. Until seven years old, Lorreta always wore flour sack her mummy sewed as dress. However, with her unyielding spirit and unceasingly struggling, Lorreta went on and up, became the queen of country music and a millionaire.
I didn't know the name of Lorreta Lynn until I watched the movie"coal miner's daughter", this movie led me to this book. The movie is fantastic, but this book let you know more and think more.
Either you like county music or not, either you are poor or rich,
this book is absolutely good, inspiring, touching and unforgetable.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is the "real deal" just like Loretta Lynn, May 18, 2000
This review is from: Loretta Lynn (Paperback)
This book is an excellent autobiography that gives you insight into Loretta Lynns public and personal life. This book is written the way Loretta talks; Loretta insisted that it be that way. I highly suggest that everyone should read this book as well as Loretta's new book that is due out Fall 2000. Loretta is a remarkable lady. This book is required reading for any true country music fan, but would be appreciated by all. After reading this book you will come to appreciate Loretta more than you ever have. If you ever meet her, you will appreciate her even more. Loretta is a national treasure, but she does not see herself as a Legend. Loretta's favorite foods are still soup beans an cornbread and skillet fried chicken. Loretta has never left her roots...in this book she shares with you her amazing journey...

5.0 out of 5 stars Coal Miner's Daughter - Great Reading For All Ages, March 18, 1999
This review is from: Loretta Lynn (Paperback)
The movie is good but the book is excellent. Perhaps the best autobiography ever written. The chapters flow with stories of sadness and humor expressed in Loretta's one phasing. For someone without much of an education, the wisdom and values Loretta shares within the book is inspiring. You will be left wanting to read more about this wonderful lady. This book does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, May 2, 2005
Rebecca Kinson (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
A grandmother at 28? Wow! I learned a lot of interesting things about 1) the country music star, and 2) about coming up hard and making it work out.

This book is Loretta Lynn's tale of her childhood in Butcher Holler with her poor but pround parents. Her parents allow her to be married off to a man she barely knows when she is 13. Amazingly, she remains married to this man for the rest of his life.

Anyway, the husband encourages Loretta to sing publicly because he thinks she has a great voice. And I don't need to tell you how the career goes, because that's pretty popular knowledge.

All in all, this was a great book. Very well developed and informative, whether you're a country music fan or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, December 22, 2004
I have been completely in love with Loretta Lynn ever since I saw "Coal Miner's Daughter." I didn't even know who she was til I watched the movie at age 14, then I read the book and became hooked on her music. She is an amazing woman. Her life has been hard, and she doesn't take any of her success for granted. She is who she is. What you see is what you get with her. I don't know if anyone who reads her book could relate to half of what she has experienced, but it makes for interesting reading. I was lucky enough to see her live in concert a month ago, and when she walked out on that stage, I was brought literally to tears. I just couldn't believe this woman I admire so highly was actually standing in front of me. I'll never forget that night. And I will never stop loving Loretta Lynn. Read BOTH of her autobiographies. Both are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, September 26, 2007
I have very high standards when it comes to idols (at least by my warped definition). Mrs. Lynn managed to be both an idol and hero to me. She is a strong out spoken female that refuses to compromise her beliefs to fit into a cookie cutter/hollywood type image. The best day of my life was getting to visit her ranch and pose for a photo on her steps. I love both of her books although Still Woman Enough is my favorite as she is completely relaxed in being herself. Loretta Lynn is an inspritation for all women young and old that have had to overcome hard challenges in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a Coal Miner's daughter in Kentucky, December 27, 2003
Cassandra Miracle (Bell County, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This is one of the greatest books that has ever been written. My father was a coal miner until he got hurt. I sing my self and loretta is just so good. Being from the same state she is i guess the reason she has such a influenece on my life. If you read this book you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter (Vintage) (Paperback)
Anyone who loves Loretta Lynn and believes in the American Dream should read this story. This lady moves into the spotlight because she realizes that people genuinely like her songs and her voice. She is so simple and humble that it takes awhile for all this to sink in. She followed her heart and her heart told her to sing - it was one of the few things she felt she did well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 19, 2011
I purchased this book after watching the movie cuz I wanted the complete story knowing that the movies usually cut out a lot. The book is delightful and Loretta Lynn's story of her life is very touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any Loretta fan, February 7, 2011
shopgirl (Northeast MO, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter (Vintage) (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Loretta Lynn, probably even more so the person than the singer. I also love the movie Coal Miner's Daughter. Although the movie stuck fairly close to this book, it is still interesting to hear the story in Loretta's words.
I also purchased Loretta's second autobiography, and found that book to be much more revealing; it was written after Doo's death and Loretta really opens up.

Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter (Vintage)
Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter (Vintage) by Loretta Lynn (Paperback - September 21, 2010)
$15.00 $11.55