5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick
Published on November 26, 2012 by Scott Bright

3.0 out of 5 stars Good net cam, mediocre software
Published on November 15, 2012 by David K. Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good net cam, mediocre software, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Lorex LNC104 LIVE Ping Wireless Monitoring Camera (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This good basic network camera. It is compact and has good daytime and night vision picture quality. It has a microphone and a speaker can be attached for two-way communication. It has a Micro SD-Card slot that allows it to record on its own; you can also record to your hard disk or a Network Attached Storage device. It can connect to your network by ethernet and Wifi. Apple routers do not support WPS (WiFi Protected Setup), so you need to use the manual setup instructions if you use an Airport or Time Capsule. I found it no more difficult to set up on my Apple Airport-based network than any other network camera. Once you have the camera installed, a QR Code on the back of the camera an be used to to configure the client software on your iPhone or iPad.

A detailed user manual, Mac-specific instructions, and Mac client software are all available on the Lorex support site.

Where the LNC 104 fails to measure up is in software:

- Mac OSX. The L-View Mac client software, which is in beta and must be downloaded from Lorex is bare-bones and obviously a work in progress. An update came out recently which at least gives it basic functionality. You can now record to your hard drive, but if your want to play back your clips, you need VLC Player, a free open-source media layer. Ironically, VLC Player includes a feature not found and any version of the Lorex software: the ability to copy and convert clips to more useful formats.

-iOS iPad. The basic functionality of the iPad version is OK. There are a couple or problems areas for me, however. The Lorex iPad software only works in landscape mode. This is a pet peeve of mine; the only time I ever voluntarily use my iPad in landscape mode is when I'm watching a long-form video like a movie or TV show. The Lorex software prevents your iPad from going to sleep; if you walk away from it while it is running (it does not even need to be connected to a camera), it will drain your battery. There are rudimentary playback controls for clips recorded on your iPad, but none for clips played from the camera's SD card. There is no way to export clips into a more useful format.
While I was writing this review, both my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 lost the ability to connect to the cam (at the same time). The desktop client, the web, and my iPad 1 all continued to work. The iPad 3 and iPhone 4S had to be re-started to regain the ability to connect to the cam.

-iOS iPhone. The iPhone app has the same functionality and issues as the iPad version except that it works in landscape or portrait mode and it needs to be connected to the cam before it overrides the system's effort to go into sleep mode and drains your battery. The iPhone version does have the ability to convert recordings made on the phone to .avi format files, but how this is done and how the resulting files can be accessed by other apps is not apparent. The user manual says only: "...you can...also convert the video files to .avi files for sharing."

-Windows. The Windows version is not without its share of irritants. If you want to play back a recording on the SD card, you click a button in the viewing window which opens a dialog box with a list of the daily folders. You open the folder for the appropriate day, scroll to the clip you want to view, then click Playback or double-click on the clip name. The dialog box closes and the clip plays. If you want to see the previous or next clip, you have to repeat the entire process. Depending on the the capacity of your SD-Card, you can have dozens or even hundreds of clips on the card. The Windows version now has the ability to record clips to your hard disk. Like the Mac version, you must download and install VLC Player in order to view any you have recorded.

-Web Interface. As you might expect, the web interface gives you the most information about the cam settings. To display video in the web interface, Internet Explorer is required because an Active-X control is used. This means you cannot view the cam image via the web page at all on a Mac or if you use Firefox or another non-MSIE browser in Windows. However, even with Internet Explorer and the Lorex Active-X control installed and enabled, all I ever got was a black frame with "Locating..." in the middle of it.

I found part of the web interface to be unnecessarily confusing and perhaps a little flaky. To me scheduling basically means creating a list of things to be done at a specific day and time. This task is available under Scheduling, but they have also lumped a bunch of behavior controls under the same heading. To me, it makes more sense to have the set-ups for alarms, notifications, and recording criteria under one heading and setting the days and times to do those things under a separate header. I understand the need for complex scheduling in security cams and I've done it on other systems, but there should also be a "Use the settings I've specified 24 hours a day, 7 days a week" check box to simplify the process when appropriate.

I was able to set up email notification and motion activation. The email notifications include a still frame as a jpeg file. However, it seems like anytime I made a change in the settings, I ended up starting from scratch. Accessing the web interface from Safari on a Mac, I was able to delete but not download clips from the SD card. Firefox on the Mac could see the clips folders, but none of their contents. Using MSIE in Windows, I was able to delete and download the files and view the downloaded files using VLC Player.

I think this is a great network cam if all you need to do is set up a camera and monitor the situation in real time. You can accomplish that in iOS, Windows, and even the Mac beta version. However, I find the process for creating, viewing, organizing, editing, and exporting clips to be cumbersome at best. If you do not know the exact date and time a clip may have been recorded, finding the pertinent clip could be very time-consuming. I also think the process for setting camera features and scheduling could be more intuitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick, November 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was able to get this camera working with no trouble at all. I installed the PC based software and that worked great. To get at all the detailed settings, you need to go to the web interface for the camera. The camera supports two way audio, so you can talk to anyone who is at the camera location. I have my camera set up at my cabin in Wisconsin through WiFi and I can monitor the weather and the neighborhood dogs! Quality is great. I am really impressed with this camera and recommend it.

Notes:
- To get the software from the Lorex website, you must first go to this products web page, then you will find a tab on the bottom for downloads.
- WPS setup was fast and easy. Just hit the button on your router and then on the camera.
- Quality of the picture is really good. I can monitor the camera from my Android phone, Kindle Fire, and PC.
- Customer service was great and replied fast to my question. I wanted to know how to record only when the motion sensor when off, not all the time. Here are the details:
*******************
For motion setup, In the manual under SD card recording/Schedule. The general steps are:
1. Enable SD card recording in Schedule mode.
2. In the Schedule menu, set the SD recording for PIR, Motion or
PIR+Motion.
3. Create an everyday schedule that covers the entire day.
*******************

1.0 out of 5 stars Deplorable Tech Support and Customer Service Process, March 19, 2013
I can't review this product because i can't even get it work properly and this company has the most deplorable customer service i've ever dealt with. In this day and age, my companies have online chat for questions but not Lorex. So, I emailed them a question on how to hook up the two way audio on this and I got a ticket number. After another day i got back another email saying it was sent to tech support and someone would contact me and here's ANOTHER ticket number. I waited another day and heard from no one so i called them. Well, I waited on hold twenty minutes to get to the first person who gave me ANOTHER ticket number and put me back on hold for another 15 minutes to get me to a tech support person that couldn't answer the questions without the camera number. I told him i didn't have another 35 minutes to sit on hold and he told me to call a certain number when i got home to go right to tech support. So i came home and started the process over again and waited twenty minutes on hold to get to a person who did nothing more than give me ANOTHER ticket number and put me back on hold again. At the current time i'm on hold and have been for 20 more minutes. Who does this company think they are making the simplest enquiry into a process like this???

I am going to call Amazon and see if i can return this. I do not want to do business with Lorex. Sadly, the security guy put lorex cameras in the external part of my house so i am stuck with them. I'd planned to put a 4 camera system inside my house but i simply can't do this.

So i don't know about the product. But i seriously warn you against this company. It's maddening.

Update: while i was going on 35 mins on hold with Lorex, I got on Amazon chat and arranged a return in less than 5 minutes. Yay, Amazon. Boo, Lorex.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy software for Windows 7 and irresponsible customer service, February 17, 2013
This is my first Lorex product. I installed the software with the CD that came with it in my Windows 7. The program won't run. I updated it and still won't run. I installed it to my android phone, it works. I opened a ticket to the technical support. They responded and sent me their latest version. It won't work. Then they closed the ticket. I opened another ticket referencing the old ticket and they close it right away for the reason that the first ticket was closed. I opened another ticket this time not referencing the ticket. After several days they responded that it won't install because of the firewall, despite the fact that I told them it installed successfully but won't run, it will crash. I also tried to disable my firewall and anti-virus but still won't run and reinstalled it several times. Then they close again the ticket. What kind of customer service is that? Instead of fixing their code, they simply close the ticket I opened without any warning!@#$? Go figure...

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do what it was supposed to do., June 26, 2013
The cameras never did the ping as it stated. Called a few times for tech support, was on hold for over an hour, then someone came on to help with my questions and again was put on hold then was disconnected, two times.
Tech support was no help.
Sent the cameras back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product is flukey and customer support non-existent, February 17, 2013
Matthew M Butehorn (Mount Airy, MD, US) - See all my reviews
Had terrible time getting product to store videos. When I called customer support, I received no real help and was told they would call me back. Still waiting.

The bilking product is much better

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I had hoped, April 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Summary: Small device that came with few instructions and no Mac software in the box, but in the end it works well and does what it says - with some minor effort.

What's in the box:
The Lorex LNC104 comes with a folded, color instruction sheet that is written for PCs, a CD that has the PC software and a URL for the Mac software, ethernet cable, USB cable and a power supply brick (white w/white cable to match the device). I was not initially impressed with the PC instruction booklet, but I did find that combining it with the online instructions for the Mac at the Lorex website was sufficient for me to sort things out.

Installation:
The software is pretty crude by today's standards. You have to know to "right-click" on certain portions of the display to make settings, connect to the camera for setup, etc. Also, the look is "industrial" at best. No eye candy here - it looks like it came from the Windows 2000 era at best. I mention this, because you MUST have the instructions handy or you will be very, very unlikely to figure the installation or use out yourself in any reasonable amount of time. It is strange that the interface would not include more obvious buttons, tabs or menu items to set up and operate the cameras, but it doesn't. That said, the software does work, it only crashed on me once.

You MUST have an ethernet connection initially or it is unlikely that you will be able to connect to the camera. It is apparently possible to connect wirelessly if you have a router that has a WPS broadcast button, which allows wireless password sync with the camera, but I've not seen very many of those. In fact, the only one I ever had was a proprietary T-Mobile / D-link router for the old T-Mobile "hotspot at home" feature on the their older wifi phones. Perhaps there are more, but my Apple AEB's don't have the button, so I had to wire in the camera to start with and then, using one of those "right-click" instructions mentioned before, configure the device using the Lorex web configure tool. Now, interestingly, this web configure tool seems a lot nicer than the downloaded software. Almost as if a different team wrote it - one from this decade. Hate to sound so snide, but I'm just not used to having to stay slaved to printed instructions. There are no setup "wizards" here. It's all about "simon says" and if you get one wrong, it doesn't work. For instance, when I attempted to set up wireless operation, I used the printed instructions and got to the point that the web based setup tool said to pull the ethernet connection to enable wireless operation. The printed instruction didn't say to do this until I ran one test with the wired AND wireless connection in place. Turns out the hardcopy was right.

After going through all the wired, then wireless setup, I decided to download the Ping application for my iPhone 4S. It is, as to be expected by this time, not very slick looking, but it works. Setup was a lot easier than the initial setup.

Use:
Once the setup is done, the use is pretty simple. The camera is a VGA resolution device, so the pictures are far from HD. That said, daylight pics are decent. The featured low light images are pretty gunky looking, but usable so far. I did not carry out extensive testing on that part - it's supposed to have an IR illuminator as well as a sensitive camera,

One issue is that although the box claims you can have conversations with another person using this device as it has a small mic and a speaker, this feature is not too useful iMHO. I have pretty great internet service and have no issue using VOIP from Skype, Ooma, GoToMeeting, etc. With the Lorex, the time lag for sound is about 2-3 seconds. This makes communication really tough. I think the best use for the sound capability is Mic only to listen for issues around the camera.

Why I removed one star:
1. No Mac instructions in the box. Although the PC instructions were helpful when used with the online Mac info, this is not a huge deal and they should have taken care of it. These are small files and small apps. It is almost as if they had a shipment deadline and were catching up on the Mac portion while the PC stuff was being manufactured and shipped. This puts the burden of consolidating documentation and software on me, the customer.
2. Time lag. A couple seconds is a long time for a potentially real-time device. This is 1.5 seconds longer than I would have thought.
3. The awkward back and forth setup between wired and wireless communication. I have to believe this could have been made easier. You usually don't have to do this with other wireless wifi devices.
4. Crude software. Like I said, it works, but it looks like a home hobby project and you must read the instructions to use it. This is below par for both Mac and PC nowadays. But, to repeat, it does work, which is why I don't mark it down more.

Trick features:
Being able to access the video stream from Mac, PC, Android and iPhone is great. Being able to do this with up to 20 (I only tested 2) devices at once is cool.
During handheld setup, you can input the device info to your phone via a QR code on the back of the camera. The implementation was rough (no surprise) but worked well enough.

Trick feature I didn't yet test:
Remote access via wif at Starbucks. If I get to this, I will update the review. Since I have cable, with DHCP addressing and a NAT in the path, I don't see how I will be able to access the device out of the home as is promised on the box, but we'll see. I suspect this can only be accomplished if i get a static address for my home (not going to happen - $$$).

Conclusion:
I guess I would recommend this to a friend if they found it at the right price. IMHO, this would be under a hundred. No great shopping experience here, it just feels like it should be in that price range to represent good value. The best way I can describe this device is, it's a B- experience. That is, it could have been an A grade play, but the software is just good enough to work, but not good enough to be happy about - not by some margin. All the tested features worked and the device appears to be well made for indoor use. This includes a nice metal pivot arm instead of the expected cheap plastic hardware. If you have the patience and aptitude for a no-wizard setup experience, and the price is right, go for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Networking Setup is VERY DIFFICULT, February 4, 2013
Networking Setup is VERY DIFFICULT- Especially the DDNS functions needed to view videos from a remote location. What little documentation they have is inconsistent and sometimes just WRONG. I eventually figured it out on my own, after hours and hours of trial and error. Still it only works intermittently. I hope you are a network engineer if you buy this camera.

UPDATE: After using this device for a few weeks, I have finally figured out how most everything works. It's a decent piece of hardware but, like others have said, the software needs A LOT MORE WORK.

Finally a few words about TECHNICAL SUPPORT. IT IS HORRIBLE. For example, I opened a ticket to report a specific bug that I found in the "Email/FTP Alarm Settings Setup" menu. Instead of accepting the bug report and saying they would investigate- they assume I couldn't possibly know what I am doing and MUST call their customer support desk for assistance. Sorry Lorex but I am not willing to waste hours on the phone with technical support when you have such an ARROGANT attitude toward your customers.

In conclusion, I feel the need to change my rating on this item:
-1 for their "Customer is ALWAYS WRONG" attitude.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to set up as it claims, February 22, 2013
I had trouble setting this camera in my network. I had to spend several hours making it work. It is not as easy as their video demo shows.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, September 27, 2013
If you want a camera that functions ok in daylight, lousy in no-light and that connects reasonably through Cat 6 or WiFi, then you can probably find better at half the price. However, I bought this because they advertise it can be accessed through the Internet and that installation was easy. To get it to work over the internet, expect to burn about 14 hours playing with the software and hanging on terminal hold for level 2 support in New Delhi, and after setting up your router for port forwarding, messing up your network, etc, then and only then does it work - now and then. Very unreliable, customer support is embarrassing, and advertising is presumptuous if not downright fraudulent. Find something else. The Lorex company will never get my business again.

Lorex LNC104 LIVE Ping Wireless Monitoring Camera