on June 9, 2013
I purchased this product because I was looking for a relatively low cost surveillance system to keep an eye on my downstairs carport in my condo complex. The challenge was that the condo rules do note allow me to mount anything on the out side of the building. With a little creativity on the application side, this product worked out perfectly. The camera is relatively small in size which was perfect. I was able to mount it on the window sill of my upstairs bedroom and leave the window cracked open so the night video recording was not distorted. I removed a small piece of the window screen so the camera had a clear view, and the system works like a champ! Very easy to set up with the wireless application. I had the remote viewing feature via Skype working in a matter of minutes from my IPAD and iPhone. I am a single female with intermediate tech skills and this system was very easy to install. I strongly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a low cost high quality surveillance system.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2013
I read some not-so-great reviews of this on Amazon and was a bit worried even though it received overall good ratings and reviews. Here is what you need to know...

1. The range isn't great if you are going through several walls in your house. I can put 5-6 walls between the camera and receiver (the LCD screen) and it will stretch from one end of my house to the other (camera outside, TV inside), so about 60+ feet, and it works fine and I'll see 2-3 out of 5 signal bars (which indicate the signal strength). But, I will see some interference with the receiver within a few feet of other electronics at this distance, under that 60 foot span and interference doesn't seem to be an issue. Take a bunch of walls out of the equation and the range seems to go 100+ feet with ease.

2. It's a digital signal so rather than getting a bad picture when the signal goes week you'll either lose the picture or it would appear that the framerate drops. This is actually a good thing since you still capture video (and audio) even without a perfect signal. Overall, the framerate isn't spectacular. It's way better than most "caught on film" type surveillance footage we've all seen (I'm looking at you Pentagon 9/11 footage) but I'd guess we're talking about 10-15 FPS at best? If the signal drops it goes down to just a few FPS (roughly).

3. You get a 2Gb SD card but you can use up to a 32Gb card to get up to (their claim) 60 or so hours of recording, at which point you can set it to overwrite the card and start over.

4. The cameras capture audio VERY well. I could hear (while I watched) people walking 50-75+ feet away, you can hear cars coming long before they appear on your street, you can hear anyone walking or talking anywhere around the camera (50-75+ feet easily). You can push a button and talk back so that the camera outputs your voice to them as well, great for a front door camera!

5. The recording functions work well, but once recording you can't do certain things like change the volume or change cameras. So if you set it to record you are stuck on whatever screen it is one (which will be 1 camera at a time or the 4 camera split screen). It's easy enough to stop/start recording if you needed to change something but seems odd not to let me adjust the volume while recording. If you set it to use the motion record then this isn't likely to be an issue for you.

6. The motion sensor does have some limits so it would be fine for anyone close to your house/camera but things across a street (for example) don't seem to trip it. This makes sense, it's really the same technology as a motion sensing security light so until you are relatively close it doesn't trip the sensor.

7. The night vision works great and it seems to light up a decent area. It normally shows up in color but night vision will be black and white as usual. In all cases, the picture is very good, very clear. On that note, it's a 640x480 image the cameras send back. Not exactly HD, but pretty good for what it is.

8. Setting it up couldn't be easier and this is one of the few items that truly is plug and play. Plug in the camera power. Plug in the TV power, flip the TV to on. You're done. It's all paired and just works.

Overall, this thing is awesome and for the price you can't beat it. I'd highly recommend this for casual surveillance of your house, like watching front door, checking for package deliveries, keeping an eye on a normal sized front yard area, etc.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2013
I researched so many surveillance/systems that I had myself doubting that any system would perform well. I finally, out of desperation, purchased the Lorex LW2731 because I couldn't handle reading anymore reviews and just needed to be done. I am so glad that I purchased this system-it is awesome for my needs. I have a small business and want to know when someone enters the building. The motion detector works perfectly for me. It detects quickly and the monitor gives an audible alert. The monitor is excellent because it's always visible from my desk. You can also control the volume of the audible alert-several volume options which is very nice.

I was concerned about setting up the system, so imagine my surprise when I connected the camera to power; then the monitor, turned on the monitor and done. It was the easiest set-up I've ever done for an electronic item. I am very pleased and plan to add an additional camera to watch over the store showroom soon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: With 1 Wireless CameraVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Lorex LW2731 package comes with a 7 inch full colour LCD monitor and one security camera. The monitor is a bit on the small side coming in at 7 inches but supports up to 4 video feeds. The camera is also a tad on the largish side measuring around 4 inches (much larger than a webcam) but has built in LED lights for illumination.
When I received this unit I thought I would set up the camera at the front of my house on the porch overhang pointing at my front door. This proved to be a bit of a pain in that both the camera and the monitor require mains power (no battery option). The power adapter for the camera, although it has a fairly generous amount of chord, was not enough to put the camera where I wanted so I had to rethink. Another problem with this is that you end up having to drill a hole through your wall in which to put the power cable, so not a quick easy solution.
This leads me to another point. If a thief or whomever is determined to break into your house, then its a very simple case of just having to snip the wire and the camera won't work. It would have been much better for the camera at least to run off batteries.
The wireless part of this unit is the video feed from the camera to the monitor, not the monitor to your home network. You have the ability to view the camera feed over skype (a good option) so that you can see your video feeds from anyplace, however in order to do this you must hook the monitor into your computer (cable supplied) and leave your computer running all the time (you must also remember to turn off power saving features on your computer).
The video quality that the camera transmits is excellent. Better than some of the security camera footage you see on the news and the camera works very well whether in bright light or with the aid of the built in LEDs and sensor at night.
The range of the wireless feed seems to be good. I couldn't find anyplace in my 3 story house where I couldn't pick up the video feed, even when I placed the camera in the top corner of a bedroom on the top floor and took the monitor down to the opposite corner of my bottom floor, so it was travelling a fair distance and through a lot of wood and concrete.
If you are thinking of buying this unit to monitor the outside of your house (which I think most people would), then be prepared to have to do some work and drill holes in your walls to do this. Also be prepared to have to rethink where you wish to put the camera due to the power cables length. This is a major shortcoming of this unit in my opinion.
If you are just looking to monitor the inside of your house or small business then this unit will work great, with the addition of some extra cameras.
Overall then, a good security system once setup but has some fairly big flaws.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I also have the Lorex LNC104 LIVE Ping Wireless Network Camera camera from Lorex so I can't help but compare it to that. I really like the LNC104. It is wifi and comes with easy to use software for the PC and Android. Extra cameras can be viewed all at once within that software. The LW2731 system uses Skype instead, so I can't add it to my camera network. That would have been really cool.

The coolest feature of the LW2731 system is the monitor it comes with. It was also very easy to set up. I had the system up and was watching my front door in minutes. You can move the monitor around with you but it needs to be plugged into AC power. It will need to be plugged into the PC via USB to use the Skype remote viewing software. This means the PC must stay on as well. Unlike the LNC104 which is a WiFi device that only needs an internet connection to broadcast.

This system is very nice for a self contained camera system due to the nice monitor. It is nice not to have to launch software to monitor the camera since you can mount the monitor anywhere you want.

Notes:
- System only comes with one camera. Extras are not cheap.
- Would be nice if it used the same remote monitoring software as the LNC104 so that they could work together.
- Camera is indoor/outdoor which is really nice.
on December 7, 2013
This is not a good product. The first thing I read in the user's manual was the indoor/outdoor cameras were not weatherproof. I did not see this information in any of the information on their product page.They were weather-resistant. You can not place them outside in direct rain. What good is a home security system that cannot be used inside and outside?

I decided I would try to use them in protected areas so I would move forward. Then more fun happened. I paired the 3rd & 4th camera to the receiver pretty easily. Checked out the system and it looked pretty good. Then I turned the system off and moved the cameras around the house to see how it looked. When I turned the system back on it didn't work. The receiver had locked up with a black screen and the menu touch key would not work. Nothing worked it was locked up.
The manual said they had 24/7 tech support. I called the Lorex tech support number and got a recorded message - they work Monday thru Friday 8 to 8 Eastern time. Unfortunately it was Friday evening just after 8pm eastern - actually 6pm where I live. Tried their e-mail same run around. Fill out a ticket and we will get back to you.NO TECH SUPPORT!
I packed this up and sent it back - thank you Amazon for this service. I will continue to research home security systems, but I will stay away from Lorex. With no tech support, I don't care if they have the best product in the world - they are not customer oriented.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2013
I have been having trouble with stuff getting stolen over the past few weeks. So I started looking at cameras to try and see if I could figure out who was behind it. I wanted a wireless system cause I didn't want to have to run wires. This system you still have to run the power wire to an outlet so it is not 100% wireless but still good enough. The system is very easy to set up. I will probably not use the Skype feature cause when its hooked up the system will stop recording. The night vision is really good. The motion sensor is pretty sensitive. I have mine turned down and at night bugs flying by set it off. Overall I'm pleased with the product and I hope I can catch the thief.
on July 28, 2013
I purchased this system to supplement my layered home security. The night vision is unreal , mind you I only have a 100x100 ft lot. The only problem I`m having is the cameras seem to record at will sometimes. I have them set at the lowest sensitivity settings. I was hoping for a little better "real motion" recording as it seems to record in 2 second intervals. I purchased a 32g card and its on over rite set to a 15 second record time so I figure Ill get about a month before it starts over. The signal strength also jump from 4 bars to nothing as it cycles but I haven`t lost the picture. The false detects make reviewing a little tiresome as do with the false alarms. I do think if they could get the motion/heat recording a little more accurate ,it would be a perfect system. The sound recording is also top notch. Overall I`m pleased with the system and it adds a little more piece of mind to my overall security.

Bill
on August 8, 2013
I purchased the Lorex Live SD LW2932 system and had it set up in less than 10 minutes....including the addition of two Add-On Wireless Accessory Cameras...unfortunately, the system only worked for less than 10 minutes, went into a continual reboot sequence and all camera feeds were lost. I spent another 10 minutes packaging this piece of junk back up and promptly returned it. Good luck with Lorex customer service...I never did get a human to talk to...so I gave up...not worth it to give Lorex anymore of my time spent dealing with their garbage. This was my second attempt with a Lorex security system....there will never be a third.
on August 25, 2013
I've only been using these cameras for about 3 weeks but they are EXACTLY like the ones that came with my LW2930 set up. From what I figured out, these will only work with the Lorex LW2730 and LW2930 systems. The difference between these 2 systems is the screen size. NO OTHER CAMERAS will work.

Here's something to know on the Lorex LW2930 system: It took a few days to get the cameras working like they should. The motion detector settings are trial and error. The clarity of a still frame is great but functional video is something else. The recorded video will but more choppy then you'd want and the responsiveness of the motion detector is going to be slower then you like. For example, when my wife pulls into the driveway in her car, the camera will click on (motion sensor) when the car is almost past the camera. Also, sometimes when the camera's motion clicks on, there's a white-out screen for about 1 second. It doesn't sound like much but that first second is crucial to catch someone's face that's walking up to the front door. On a plus, the 2 way audio is MUCH better than you would think. You get used to it and love it! I sit at my desk and listen to the sounds at each one of the cameras and it's pretty cool. Zoom: it's not REALLY a zoom. It's more like a screen expansion with crappy pixilation. In summary, the cameras are pretty cool but this is not a high powered system. It's for CASUAL home use. If you live in a high crime area and are nuts about watching your car then get a WIRED system. The hard wired systems are more real-time, responsive and clear whereas the wireless systems show quick movements to be MAJORLY blurred. Let me put it like this, if I sprinted from the beginning of my driveway to the end, a wired system could CLEARLY show my face and body where a wireless (read: Lorex LW2730 and LW2930 systems)would display a useless blur. Also, the motion detectors give a ton of false readings. I have one of my cameras near a light and the bugs set off a bunch of false motions (or, should I saw, useless recordings). Plan on upgrading the memory to a 32 MB card. I'll probably be able to get 6 weeks of 30 second video clips from 4 different cameras. Are you going to monitor your new awesome home camera system with a smart phone? Not unless you leave the Lorex LW2930 plugged into your computer and your computer stays powered on 24 hours a day. Does anyone REALLY not turn off their computer?

In summary, Do I regret spending the $500+ on the whole system? Well, no. . .it's a fun toy and much better than what I had before (which was nothing). If something happens then it's good to have something to review.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...