TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 3, 2013
Style Name: LW242B Wireless Camera and Wireless PT CameraVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The kit includes a rather hefty printed instruction manual, a small, approximately three and a half inches measured diagonally, video monitor, two color cameras, AC adapters, mounting hardware, USB cable, and a 1 GB memory module. Installation is simple -- put the cameras where you want them, plug them in and turn them on. Then, plug the monitor in and turn it on. The cameras are pre-configured (paired) and appear instantly on the monitor.

Two different camera models came with the set, one LW2400 series and one LW2450 series. Both units have microphones, speakers, and temperature sensors. The LW2400 has a night light, while the LW2450 has pan and tilt capability, which allows adjusting the view side to side and up and down using the joystick on the monitor.

The LW2400 can also be powered using AA batteries or an optional rechargeable battery pack. Both cameras have light sensors which activate night vision in low light situations. Neither camera has a zoom feature, instead a fixed focal length is utilized that makes all items appear in focus. Items in a range from ten to fifty feet away appear sharp.

The monitor's LCD screen has a relatively high resolution image with good color. There are two lines of information at the top, with the first line beginning at the left with blue bars indicating the signal strength of the selected camera, followed by bright yellow text indicating one of four possible camera channels, followed by the temperature.

If the overwrite function has been enabled for continuous recording, lighted "OW" initials appear in green on the right. The second line starts at the left with an icon indicating if a microSD memory card has been inserted, followed by an icon indicating if recordings are present (yellow) or if the memory device is full (red).

According to the instruction manual the included 1 GB memory card will record one hour and forty-five minutes of activity with movement, or two hours and fifty minutes of an empty room. If greater recording capacity is desired up to a 32 GB memory card may be used (not included) and will record almost 58 hours with movement or almost eighty-nine and a half hours with no movement. The date and time are displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Pressing the "Cam" button on the side of the monitor switches between the two cameras or pressing the "Seq" button shows all of the paired cameras at once, dividing the screen into quarters. The unit has the capacity to add an additional two cameras for a total of four, but whether two are attached or four, the screen divides into quarters. Needless to say, in this configuration, the pictures on the monitor are very small. The scan mode shows each active camera for 6 seconds then switches to the next one. There is also a scan mode that only activates the video screen when a camera microphone hears a noise.

I placed the monitor in the kitchen, with one camera in the furthest bedroom, about 40 feet away, and the adjustable camera on a windowsill in the garage to watch the driveway, about 20 feet away from the monitor. Both cameras connected instantly and provided a steady picture without interruption. Whenever a fairly loud noise occurs in the proximity of either camera (such as a door closing or a loud vehicle passing,) the monitor beeps 3 times.

The monitor has a rechargeable lithium battery that charges either by plugging in the AC adapter directly or through the supplied cradle that serves as a stand for the monitor. On the front of the unit, there is a button to turn off the video without stopping the monitoring function. There is also a menu button to adjust settings and a joystick to pan and scan the camera, as well as negotiate the menu
Plus and minus volume buttons and a push to talk button complete the front controls.

In addition to the camera controls previously mentioned, there are buttons to play pre-recorded nursery rhyme-style music from the cameras if being used as a baby monitor, an on/off switch, antennae unlock, and automatic and manual recording switches. There are ports for the memory card and a USB cable.

I followed the instructions for installing the USB driver software on my PC to enable the monitor to be viewed through Skype (Microsoft's Internet technology for making video phone calls.) First, put the supplied CD/DVD in the PC and click the USB install button on the menu. This copies a program to the desktop, which when run, installs the USB drivers. Plug the cable into the camera monitor, then into the PC. At this point, Windows is supposed to automatically detect the device, but it did not on my computer. Every time I plugged the cable into the PC I got the message "USB device not recognized", so I gave up on that computer.

I tried another computer and was finally able to get it to recognize the monitor after 30 minutes of plugging and unplugging the cable. This was a Windows 7 computer, while the one that would not recognize the device was running Windows 8 Pro. Again, the only reason listed for connecting the monitor to the PC is to use it to remotely monitor the device by using Skype.

It was not easy to set-up the Skype connection. An account is required for yourself and the monitor, and then the two must be connected. Also, you cannot switch between cameras through Skype, so the monitor must have only one camera selected. Obviously, if the user only owns one computer and takes it with them when they leave the house there is no way to make the Skype connection.

When I finished connecting the monitor to my PC so I could, at some point, connect to Skype, I looked at the monitor in the charging cradle and noticed that one of the cameras was no longer working even though I wasn't actively using Skype. I checked both cameras to be sure they were plugged-in and the green lights were on, which they were. However, camera two was no longer in view on the monitor. After investigating I realized the camera lost its pairing and had to be re-paired, a tedious process involving the use of a paper clip to depress the recessed pairing button.

I use the system to monitor the cameras while at home, or to record when I'm away, so the Skype aspect isn't an issue for me. And, after several months I am pleased with the dependability of the unit. There have been no performance issues or other problems.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have five young kids split between two rooms in our house and I pretty much think this video monitor set is the bomb. First, there are two cameras that you can switch between after everything is set up. For us, that means we can monitor all our kids with a single baby monitor screen for the first time!

More importantly, however, is the fact that the viewing unit has a joystick to let you control the side-to-side and up-and-down direction of one of the cameras. This is AWESOME for us, because our kids would often sneak outside of the viewing area of the monitors we used in the past, but now we can search them out via the joystick and see what kind of trouble they're getting into.

On the downside, these monitors have a limitation in two-way communication; it takes a few seconds after speaking before you can hear what's going on near the camera. Consequently, it's hard to have a back-and-forth conversation with the toddlers you keep reminding to stay in bed.

Also, I was hoping the Skype functionality worked over WiFi or something to enable remote viewing, but it turns out you need to hook the camera up to a computer. Sadly, this limits where you can put the camera if you want to use that feature and it's a bit of a waste of electricity to have to leave the computer on.

Despite the drawbacks, I think it's a pretty great set of monitors overall!
on March 23, 2013
Style Name: LW242B Wireless Camera and Wireless PT CameraVerified Purchase
Ok, straight to the point.
I use this to monitor my 2 year old while he is in his playroom. And in a few months, we will use it to monitor his new born brother.
1. The day video is superb. Some people complain that the color isn't vibrant. Although it is true that colors in the day do not show up well, this isn't an issue for me because I use this as a baby monitor, not survalliance. I don't need to distinguish colors.
2. Night vision is fantastic. This was the most important feature for me because I am anticipating using this to watch our infant sleeping and I am comforted to know that at night I will see him as clear as a bell.
3. Others have complained about the sound. I have no issues with the sound quality. I read nearly all the reviews for this product before I bought it. And if you read on, you find that the sensitivity setting on the camera works opposite than assumed...with the higher sensitivity creating lesser sound and vice versa. So I just set it accordingly, and no problems.
4. The talk back mode is great and I use it to answer my son while he is in his room. The volume for that function is on the camera. I had it set too high too begin with, so it frightened him. But after adjusted, it isn't my voice of "GOD" booming at him anymore and he than recognized me.
5. The music feature works. I don't use it.
6. The monitor is very easy to use. You don't even have to read the manual to work it. The picture is clear. We have three cameras hooked up to it and I love that I can view three in quad mode or each individually. I also like that I can recieve sound for all in quad mode. The monitor is light weight and small enough to carry around.
7. The temperature gage is wonderful. We live in an older home. Ours sons playroom has a western facing exterior wall and can get quite cool in there. It is nice to be able to confirm the temp. It seems accurate. I haven't brought in another temp gage, but when the temp indicates comfortable tempratures, it feels comfortable in the there.
8. It is still winter here, so I can't attest to the range of this unit yet. I will update when we get back to outdoor living. We are on a farm so we are outside a lot. I hope it lives up to my expectations on that.
9. It doesn't interfere with our wifi AT ALL that I can tell, which is a plus being we have satellite Internet to begin with and that can be slow sometimes. It was nice that it didn't interfere.

Edit:
Now that we had a few nice days here before spring disappeared to be replaced by a second winter....Argh...but enough of that. I walked a thousand feet, Atleast, into our field, and even with the camera being on the opposite side of the house from where I was..i could still pick up a signal. Granted, it flipped in and out. But this was just a test to max out the range. The actual reality of our use will be within a 500~700 got range. I was truly impressed that I was able to walk down to our shed ( sits about 500 feet from the house) and not only get great reception, but I could be inside the insulated shed and still receive a clear signal. Ooh happy days! We couldn't even get a sound signal from our Graco audio monitot in there when our son was young. Soooo, I am extremely impressed and very satisfied with the range.
VINE VOICEon December 12, 2012
The Lorex Wireless Video Home Monitor with TWO cameras is without a doubt THE BEST video monitor system I've ever had. Unequivocally. And we've had several - most of which were terrible. This is the first Lorex product I've ever had and I was SO happy to see how much better of a product it was than the others i've owned, in almost every way.

The video quality is vastly superior to my previous systems - i can ACTUALLY SEE my baby's EYES in the dark! I've never been able to do that with other systems! The audio quality is great as well, both with picking up audio AND with broadcasting audio out of the camera. When i would talk through our old camera it TERRIFIED my kids because of how garbled my voice sounded, but the Lorex camera make my voice much more true-to-life. Additionally, the cameras and handheld viewing device are so sleek and cool looking, not clunky and obvious like my previous systems, that my kids often mistake it for my phone.

One of the cameras in this set has the ability to pan left to right and up and down - let me tell you this feature is AWESOME. SUPERB! How did we ever live without it?? Especially when checking in on a room with a sleeping 5 and 2 year old, it's so cool to be able to scan the room and see BOTH kids!

Now, after all that glowing talk of the Lorex system, I DO have some minor complaints, they are all about the design, though, not the performance. Which again, is a HUGE step up from all previous monitoring systems I've used.

1) The camera that pans does not go DOWN very much. It tilts UP a WHOLE LOT... but down? Nope. Generally when you're using a monitor camera you have to mount it UP HIGH on the wall... which means you need it to be able to look down low. We've had a lot of trouble getting ours mounted just right so that we can see the lower parts of the room that this camera is in.

2) It's difficult to get the viewing device back in the charger. It might not seem like a big deal, but at 2am it's NOT fun to be fumbling around in the dark, cursing and waking up your partner, and eventually turning on a light just to get the stupid thing plugged back in.

3) The lowest setting for brightness is SO BRIGHT! This has been an issue with EVERY video monitor I've ever owned. PLEASE, SOMEONE TEST THESE THINGS IN THE DARK before you send them out on the market! When you're trying to look at the monitor in the dark after having been asleep for a few hours the screen on this thing is tortuously bright!

4) The buttons. Oh, lordy the buttons. Again, please test these things IN THE DARK before you sell them, guys!! There are SO MANY buttons on the viewing device and NOT A ONE OF THEM is discernible in the dark. You simply have to MEMORIZE what buttons are where. Heaven forbid you accidentally hit the PLAY MUSIC button when you're simply trying to switch cameras! AHH! Disaster! Also, many of the buttons are on the SIDES of the device which makes it difficult to hold without bumping one, and even more difficult to get it back in the charger without hitting one.

Needless to say, the performance of this system is TOP NOTCH. But the design (mostly of the viewing device) needs quite a bit more work. But overall, it's still the best system we've owned and will probably be the LAST one we ever own. It's excellent!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2012
Update 12/18/2012 to add: We noticed that the monitor reports a temp that is about 6 degrees above the actual temp. Not bad at all since this is a notorious inaccuracy issue with monitors.

We have a finicky individual room controlled heat system, I bought a wireless temperature (weather station wireless thermostat, found through Amazon) that came with a stick that is intended to go outside so that you can view the temp on the monitor inside + humidity and indoor temp etc. I instead put the stick in my daughters room. This way, at night I can monitor the temp in her room with the door closed and without disturbing her, which is how we noticed the degree difference.

BTW: my husband and I agree, this monitor is amazing - we use it constantly - for naps, at night, you name it. My daughter is thick into teething (it is so painful to be little!) and we can watch her to see when she gets sick, or looks especially distressed verses normal waking up alone crying. I would happily purchase this monitor for a family member without question. However, if you're looking for a cliff notes suggestion: buy only the monitor + pan/tilt camera. (We almost never use the stationary one.)
---
This review is on the Lorex Wireless Video Home Monitor with two cameras (wireless camera & pan/tilt camera).

The monitor came in two boxes, the actual monitor and wireless (stationary) camera in one well packaged retail box and the pan/tilt in a small plain white box.

Set-up was super easy. Plug everything in, and turn on the monitor. I turned the pan/tilt camera on first so it paired with the monitor without me having to do anything. When I went to test the second camera, I had to hold the "pair" button and pair it with the monitor.

Menu - Pairing - pick channel (different from other camera - if you accidentally chose the same channel it'll boot the other camera and then you'll have to pair that one) - it then counts down 30 seconds while requesting you hit the pair button on the camera. The pair button on the stationary camera is on the botton of the camera head, in the back. That was it. Easy.

Note: Pairing the pan/tilt camera requires a bobby pin or something small to push the button, so I suggest make the pan/tilt the first one you set up and then manually pair the second camera)

Both cameras were easily viewed on the monitor at the same time. You just need to click the second button on the right hand side of the monitor (seq). You can switch between monitors and view them individually by clicking "video" which is the first button located on the side of the camera.

Pan/Tilt Camera: Impressive. I love this thing. My previous baby monitor was stationary and basic. This is awesome. It has a great range of motion and it is set to view the crib from above. You move it using the mini-joystick on the monitor. I can move it to see the entire crib, and the surrounding area easily. NOTE: It does make a little bit of noise when it moves. It is not too loud, but my daughter (15 months) has looked straight at the camera when we've moved it so we try to position it before she goes in the crib and move it after she's asleep.

Picture Quality: The pan/tilt camera is FAR superior in terms of picture quality. The picture is crisp and clear - even in the dark. The stationary camera is okay, but appears a bit grainy in the dark. No complaints on quality but ultimately I do almost primarily use the pan/tilt camera.

Music: We use a Graco sound machine, so we do not use this feature. However, when testing it - it came through loud and clear. You turn the music on by a button on the left hand side of the monitor. You can turn the music on BOTH cameras at the same time. You just need to view each camera individually and turn it on. To turn it off, same thing. There are four songs: Brahms, Hush Little Baby, Rokabye (sic), Twinkle. It cycles through each song when turned on. You adjust the volume on the cameras. You'll want to make sure this is at a desirable level before you turn it on - they can be pretty loud. On the monitor you can turn the volume up so you can hear what is playing.

Talk Feature: Same as with the music, if you're using both cameras you can talk through each camera by being on the individual screen. You can't talk through both monitors if you're viewing them both. The pan/tilt camera sounds great, the stationary camera is not. The stationary camera has bad feedback despite me testing it 15+ feet away.

Recording: My monitor came with a 1GB micro-memory card. I put it in, and hit record. It gives you two options: File Overwrite and Audio trigger. On audio trigger you can set it in increments of 5-15-30 seconds to begin recording after the audio is triggered. That could be very useful in the future. I tested it to trigger at 5 seconds and it worked as intended.

Theres a series of options you can click through under settings, setting the time/date, temperature (and warnings at set temps), brightness, alarm volume, timer, etc.

Overall, I really really like this camera. I would like it more if the pan/tilt camera came with a wall mounting bracket or holes so you could mount it. It doesn't and apparently you have to purchase the bracket separately.*see tip at bottom* I would also like it if the tilt/pan camera zoomed. Maybe next model. I love how I can turn the sound off on the monitor - I can watch, but don't need to listen. My old monitor made you listen by refusing to turn off the sound.

Overall, I highly recommend this monitor. I also recommend forgoing the stationary camera unless you need two cameras and instead just going with the option that includes the monitor and the pan/tilt camera.

Any questions? Feel free to leave a comment!

TIP: Put a piece of packing tape down, folding the corner so you can pull it up later easily on the base of the camera. Then use some strong velcro to stick it wherever you want it to go. Mine hangs on the wall so we can see into the crib.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been interested in wireless ip cams for home security purposes. I found several models under $100 that support wireless connectivity, night vision, remote viewing, and pan/tilt features. I also found reviews saying that some are easy to setup, and some are not. I was hesitant to buy one of those ip cams because I am not network savvy , and I was afraid the ip cam might not work with my Mac. However, I see Lorex offers variety of home monitor models that meet various user needs. This model, particularly, offers worry free setup with various user needs satisfaction. A quick and easy setup guide lets me set this monitor with two camera up and running really easy, within a couple of minutes. It was nice to see that both cams equipped with temperature sensor and displays the current temperature on the monitor. Also, both cameras and monitor are battery operatable and charges rechargeable batteries when connected (it doesn't come with the battery though). Pan/Tilt camera worked really well day and night, panning and tilting. Also, I could control pan/tilt with the monitor and the angles were better than I expected. I tried about a week long non stop using, and I was surprised that it never lost the signals and never interfered with my existing wireless devices signals. The monitor is also packed with features. It is half inch wider, quarter inch taller and thicker than iPhone 4 and the screen is a tiny bit smaller (3.5 inch) than the iPhone. But it has built-in battery, speakers, and pop out antenna. It comes with charging dock and that's kind of handy. One thing I can complain about is the monitor's kickstand in the back. It is just weak with a thin plastic piece for standing purposes. If I want, I can just unscrew two bolts and remove it, but in my opinion, it will break off easily during use. The monitor unit on battery lasted about 5 hours with the screen on, and it took about 4 hours to fully charge. Battery life isn't too bad for the monitor, but it only charges with the supplied power adapter, not with the usb port.
Remote viewing was my anticipated feature of all, so I installed the camera driver (software CD included) on my mac. I followed the instruction for the Skype connection and was able to work within a couple of minutes. Basically, I connect the monitor unit (receiving wireless cam signal) to the computer using usb cable so my computer recognizes the Lorex camera as a webcam. Then it set ups the Skype auto answer to the caller. This setup was easy and working great. But I wanted to see if it works with other applications since I don't use skype all the times. I tried iCam by SKJM and voila! It worked great too with more great features. I connect the monitor same way I used for Skype, then just select the Lorex cam in the iCam server preference menu. They have both iOS and android apps(paid) available and the server application(free). I prefer this app better than skype because it detects motion (not just audio) and sends push notification to my iPhone. I can also set up the motion recording and view them remotely. However, I couldn't find a way to use both cameras at the same time on this iCam app. An additional separate web cam works along with the Lorex unit, but not the two wireless cams on a single monitor unit. Also I pan/tilt wasn't supported on iCam app.
Nonetheless, this wireless video monitor set is great for home security/monitoring, not just watching baby or pet. I thought I might not need a monitor unit if I can just connect and view with my iPhone, but actually, this set gives me more flexibility and choices. Not everybody has the same needs on video monitoring and with this set; a user can choose how he wants to view and control it. Overall, I am satisfied with this set. It has a great wireless range and good built quality (except kickstand). It is capable of two way talk, remote viewing with Skype and iCam for various needs, and, oh it comes with a 1GB micro SD card for recording.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2012
Style Name: LW242B Wireless Camera and Wireless PT CameraVerified Purchase
I wish I could review this product. It worked...kind of. One of the cameras was broken when we received it. So I went the way of contacting Lorex using the Warranty....and wow...I opened a ticket with technical support. They closed it and said that a new ticket would be opened in technical support. Yea I didn't understand it either. I opened it in technical support already. I waited...over a week and heard nothing new. I opened another one. Same way. Same result. Wow again. I called them on a Monday. Early. I was on hold 20 minutes when an automated message said that it would be a very long hold and suggested going on the call back feature. That was all good so I did that. Well 4 hours later I guess I got the call back. Since I had other things to do I had missed the call and was at square one all over again. They left a message to call back or open a ticket if needed. So I waited a little longer and while I waited I clicked the return feature on Amazon. Thank you Amazon for having great customer service.

Please think twice before buying Lorex. They don't care about their product. They sell them and then make it really hard for you if there is a problem.

That's my rant.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a terrific baby monitor with a lot of great functionality.

The wall camera works well if you mount it high in the corner of a bedroom. It has good resolution and audio reception. It also serves as an intercom!

The pan and tilt camera has all that too, but you can move the camera around to see what's going on around you. The resolution is good and this camera is a lot of fun to use.

The reciever unit can be set to turn on when the cameras detect motion or noise. It's an attractive unit, with a nice charging station. I get about 4 hours of use between charges. Picture quality was surprisingly good, in my opinion. It's definitely good enough to know what's going on in the room you're monitoring.

In addition, there are features you don't see on most monitors. You can use an SD card (included!) to record video. This is awesome if your kids or pets are doing something funny or interesting.

You can also interface this with Skype, so you can share video with grandparents (I don't advise this, honestly), or just monitor things from away. Being able to take a peek at your home, whenever you want, is an outstanding feature. You have to plug the receiver physically into your PC to accomodate this feature, which wasn't a problem for me, but some probably would like a totally wireless solution.

You can also connect this to a TV.

Also, everything feels very well built and works well. I've used this for some time to test reliability and found it to be top notch. It costs a bit more, but I think it's a great value.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 8, 2012
As one who has owned three baby monitors over the years I must say this one is the best. Another one that I am using is really good but the thin, large screen, plus a camera you can move remotely makes this a better unit. Although pricier then many other monitors on the market you get what you pay for. If giving as a gift to new parents I think they will be very pleased. I was very impressed with the thorough directions that are very easy to follow. Hopefully my video will give you a good idea of the basics of this monitor system but if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

PROS:

Well-constructed
Multi-featured system
Adjustable audio alarms
Good night vision
Two-way talk
Cameras are wall-mountable
Cameras are powered by battery or plug
Good battery life on rechargeable monitor
Monitor has all the function one needs
Night light on stationary camera
Cable dressing hardware included
Full easy to follow instructions
Skype accessible
Recordable video / manual or automatic
Comes with 1g microSD card
View cameras at same time

CONS:

Monitor in stand is a little loose
Optional stand needed for wall mounting controllable camera
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Lorex LW242B works well, as design, with night vision, two-way talk, and soothing sounds thanks to two (2) cameras: the LW2451AC1 with mechanical 240° pan and 130° tilt and thus without zooming, and the LW2401AC1 with 31° viewing angle and without mechanical pan/tilt. It is expandable and allows simultaneous views from more cameras available separately incl. the outdoor LW2401AC2. The 4-hour battery life seems decent though insufficient for obsessive monitoring. The quality of the video functions is higher than of the audio.

Remote viewing on smartphones and tablets requires a Wi-Fi (monitor) cradle sold separately. Then, Skype works fine on Macs, as the Manual states. However, the personal Skype device needs a speedy downlink (4G) for smooth video reception outside home. Otherwise the connection may drop especially on small portables such as iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, but unlikely on tablets or laptops connected via Wi-Fi.

The setup is easy and well depicted on just 2 pages of the Quick Start Guide & in the Manual on the enclosed CD; both also available from the Internet. The night video quality is at the top of those from the Internet searched for "video baby monitor night". The day video quality is good considering the max. 320x240-pixel resolution available. Video can be recorded with or without sound.

The operating system ("OS") of the home device sending video to Skype and connected to router/modem must be at least Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP SP2, Apple Mac OS 10.5.8 Leopard, or iOS 4 (free upgrade from iOS 3)- the most popular now. It cannot be original (1st) Windows XP, Mac OS 10.5.7 Leopard or lower, Android, or else. Macs with PowerPC processors are NOT supported, only with Intel CPUs.

See 1 answered question