Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on January 27, 2012
I'm always looking for cookbooks with recipes that will help me eat in a healthier way. What I like about this book is the valid stress on protein for breakfast. It really does make a difference. Most of the recipes look both fast and easy to make. My favorites are the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Oatmeal, Amaretto Liqueur French Toast & Strawberries and the Parmesan & Herb Frittata. The protein shakes and smoothies look good too. I've made Egg in the Hole for years but we call it Toad in the Hole :) Nice fast breakfast. I also like the photographs. Very nice cookbook.
on February 8, 2012
I don't typically eat Vegetarian because I need a lot of protein. But this book intrigued me -- protein and vegetarian? The author talks about some things that are very familiar to me -- like protein keeping you from getting hungry -- as well as other tips. Her comments about how it's easier to add meat to a vegetarian dish than make a meat-based dish vegetarian resonated. Then there were the recipes. Yum! Even if you're not a vegetarian, there are a lot of good recipes in this book. I recommend it!
on January 20, 2012
I eat mostly vegetarian, and people always ask something like "but how do you get any protein?" Now this is somewhat of a misnomer as vegetable-based foods are not void of protein, however it's easy to over-do it on the carbs sometimes. This book offers great recipes and suggestions on how to add extra protein to meals from real foods as opposed to powders and such. This way I can get the additional protein in a tasty and natural way without relying on supplements. This is especially important for breakfast in my opinion, so I will get a lot of use from these recipes and the author's tips.
on January 20, 2012
I liked the author's honesty about her weight gain and why. I can certainly relate and it put me at ease immediately about her journey to 36 pounds lighter! There were some great tips here about breakfast, drinking water and how to keep from cheating with junk food. My first favorite recipe is the one that mentions coconut and chocolate oats and since I love to drink my calories the next one was the Delicious Peanut n Chocolate Protein Shake. I am also a French Toast fan from way back, so I also enjoyed discovering that recipe as well. All in all, a truly delightful book with lots of great protein-packed ideas for vegetarian breakfasts! Bon appetit'!
on January 18, 2012
I was drawn to this book for a couple of reasons. The first is that I, too, have thyroid problems and had gained weight. The old ways of losing no longer worked which was dismaying.

The second reason is the food. I'm a vegetarian and I was looking for simple recipes. Being nutritious and healthy is important, but I'm not willing to spend long hours in the kitchen. Been there, done that.

And the book delivers. The recipes are focused on breakfast, which is when I'm hungriest and I started with her very first recipe: Coconut and Chocolate Oats. Anything with coconut has to be good!

I love the Pumpkin and Oatmeal Pancakes, although I use stevia, instead of Splenda, the Feta & Spinach Omelet, although I used mozzarella since I don't like feta and the Egg in the Hole is just plain fun. My next experiment will be the giant oatmeal cookies. Imagine that - cookies for breakfast.
on January 20, 2012
I love breakfast, and since I eat vegetarian, this book was an easy choice. Especially since I'm really active and do better with a lot of protein. Easy and fast is exactly what you get here--and also delicious. My favorites so far are the no-bake muesli and the flax muffin recipes. Great breakfast recipes to add to my collection. Definitely a good breakfast cookbook.
on January 10, 2012
My new years resolution is to get into shape - and I've been looking for protein rich recipes to help build that lean muscle!

This cookbooks is great! Breakfast is the most important meal for getting good nutrition and protein, and these recipes are easy, fast, full of protein AND something my whole family is willing to eat.

Tasty, healthy and cooked in less than 20 minutes. Thanks!
on January 16, 2012
This is a great recipe book. I really like the author's style too. I am a big fan of breakfasts, but I wasn't always like that. I love some of the neat twists she put on some of these recipes. I never thought about putting peanut butter in a smoothie but that is absolutely delicious!

Now there is no excuse to skip breakfast! Even if you are not a vegetarian, this recipe book is perfect for anyone wanting to start their day with a healthy meal.
on January 17, 2012
Making sure that you get enough protein at breakfast is important because it sets the tone for the day so I bought this book in order to add some variety to my breakfast options and I'm glad I did because I found some recipes that I didn't; already have from other books! I love the ones with chocolate and coconut in them especially!
on January 20, 2012
I eat primarily vegetarian and can always use more recipes. And this book is backed with some of my favorites. :) Plus some new recipes that I can't wait to try - like Crispy Kale 'n' Eggs and Protein Pancakes with Quinoa. I find that when I start with a filling breakfast, the rest of the day goes better! Here's to great vegetarian breakfasts!