on March 3, 2000
Format: Paperback
There is one word that can sum up the effect of this book for me: "powerful". Most of the books I have read about religion have been pro-religion and this is very different from the old "We need religion to fill the spiritual side of ourselves" claims they always make about it. These books produced a response from my heart, but this book produced a response from my mind. It makes the claim that there is no more evidence of God than there is of Zeus, or any other god that humans have created for their stability throughout history, and it is very effective in proving this claim. It is about time someone cries out for the intellectual awakening of people instead of one more emotional one.
Dan Barker was an evangelical minister and missionary who did everything from writing songs and skits for children to working with youth groups to preaching street sermons to adults. However, somewhere in the course of this career he began to be aware of the fact that his religious beliefs were in serious conflict from his intellectual knowledge about our scientific world.
This book brought many negative aspects of Christianity to light that had been completely ignored, conveinently explained away, or totally unknown to me in my super-religious past. I never realized the Bible was so anti-family and that the various qualities we attribute to God are so self-contradicting. It also further examined some parts of the Bible I had already wondered about, such as its blatant sexism and racism, and its inaccuracy in accordance to history, although I had been told by every preacher out there that it was correct.
If you are from a Christian religious background I can only imagine the response my little book review is illiciting, and I totally expect to receive self-righteous hate mail under the guise of loving Christianity. However, I completely understand, for if I had read a book review like this during my very devoutly religious stage, I would have felt the same way. All I can ask you to do is read the book for yourself. If you read it and disagree with my conclusions, that's great and there is no harm done. I think that if anyone can truthfully answer to themselves the questions that this book raises about religion and can still say that it is in accordance with what they feel is moral and intellectual, their faith will only be strenghtened. But if you have ever been able to sing along with good old Alanis "In the name of the father, the skeptic, and the son, I have one more stupid question..."- in other words, if you have had some doubts about religion that you would like to explore but have never known a way to do this, you will really appreciate this book. All I can say is that it totally changed my perception of religion and I was as strong a believer as anyone out there, having been in church since I was an infant and continuing it in my youth by going on many mission trips to foreign countries. I was not an atheist who picked up this book so that I could prove I was still right; I was actually a pretty strong Christian who was beginning to have some doubts, and when this book was offered to me by someone I had serious pre-conceived judgements about it and even started reading it with the desire to prove the guy totally wrong. I was sure everything he would say would be like "I don't believe in God because I want to do what I want and no one can tell me what to do." However, this book appealed to my mind as well as my sense of moral rightness, and although I started page one with a preconception that it was totally offbase, I finished it with a strong "Amen, Amen. Finally a book about religion makes totally sense!"
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2000
Format: Paperback
Looking at some of the other reviews, it's obvious that this book polarizes readers, being rated either very highly or very poorly. I'm not surprised. The high ratings are to be expected - there's a real shortage of good quality material for former Christians. That, too, is understandable since America frowns so mightily on unbelievers. That brings us to the negative reviews, frowning mightily.
Personally, I appreciate Barker very deeply. I came to the same conclusions via a slightly different path. I was also a devout Christian, though never a preacher. I was Washed in the Blood of the Lamb at 16, Sanctified and Born Again. I had a personal friend in Jesus. I also had a thirst for understanding, so I studied the Bible for years and took everything to the Lord in prayer. I studied and prayed until one day I realized that I didn't believe anymore.
No tragedy; no rebellion; just realization.
It was only after I came to grips with this change in worldview that I came to understand just how much Christianity warps a person's thinking, denigrating reason and elevating faith. It's been a long climb up from the muck, but it's great to be clean now. Christians reading that will be as outraged by the thought as they would be by reading Barker's book. Former Christians know precisely what I'm talking about.
This is an excellent book for recovering Christian.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2000
Format: Paperback
I, too, have spent years in an Assembly of God Church. I started out in a Church of Christ, which taught me to hate the Charismatics (who were deceived by Satan), who in turn, taught me to hate the New Agers (who were deceived by Satan), who in turn, taught me that everybody is on their own spiritual path, and we are all brothers.
I was watching "Prince of Eygpt" with my 4 year old niece recently. There was a roomful of Christians present. The movie was on the Passover scene where the firstborn of Eygpt were dying, and my niece suddenly looked up and said, "This story isn't true. God wouldn't create people and then kill them." It stunned the adult Christians in the room. One of them said, "But, honey, you don't know the Bible yet." She said, "I know that God isn't mean."
That, in a nutshell, is where my spiritual journey has finally taken me--through the years of dogmas and theatrics of Christianity and back out again. I learned to think for myself, and I discovered what my 4 year old niece knows instinctively, without any Bible telling her differently. God isn't mean.
I no longer see through the eyes of "Christianity" in terms of "good" or "bad"--"lost or unlost." That, to me, is one of the most damning things about Christianity--it divides mankind from his brother.
I struggle with what I know is my approaching "emancipation" from the Church. I love my friends, and I know that when that day comes, I'll never be a part of it again, and it makes me sad. In many ways, it served my needs, (until it didn't anymore). But I also know what Mr. Barker came to know---that once you come to this truth, there is no going home again. You can never turn back. Once you know--You "know." It's not something you can change.
Mr. Barker's book encouraged me in so many ways and assured me that I will meet other people who are free thinkers and will again feel the bonds of fellowship that I have known in the church. And because there are people who exist without the "divisions" of Christianity in their hearts & in their minds, I will not have to be afraid of being "rejected" or cast from the fold if my belief system does not correspond to their own.
This is a well-written book. Walking away from a belief system that has been ingrained in you from birth is not an easy thing to do. I remember when I finally realized that the end was coming, I lay in bed night after night and was literally numb. Fundamentalist Christians may think this is a "light" thing or some kind of serious "deception," but it is neither. It's like a light finally shining on darkness and a terrible fear of moving away from that darkness because it's all you have ever known. It's a soul-tearing, gut-wrenching, coming apart at the seams kind of realization, but when it's all over, there is peace.
I believe in a better God today and in a better world. I believe that every man is truly my "brother." I only wish that every man believed that of me.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 1998
Format: Paperback
Dan Barker, a man not afraid use his mind, tells us of his transition -out of the mental confounds of Christianity -into the nationally acclaimed freethinker he is today.
Barker says "It is interesting to read the Bible now, with new `eyesight' so to speak. I used to read all the ugly parts of the Bible, but for some reason they were invisible, even beautiful. I was taught that God was perfect, loving and righteous -so there could be no question in my mind of his character. Any apparent contradictions or ugliness could be ignored in the faith of the `mystery' of Gods ways. I'm glad those days are over."
In his book, Dan provides strong historical and logical evidence against the myths dispelled by religion. In chapter 29 [Dear Believer], Dan wonderfully sums up the vary essence of Christianity and it's `merciful' God. Barker writes >>
"Dear Believer, You ask me to consider Christianity as the answer for my life. I have done that. I consider it untrue, repugnant, and harmful... The Biblical god is a macho male warrior. Thou he said "Thou shall not kill", he ordered death for all in opposition (Exodus 32:27), wholesale drowning and mass exterminations; punished offspring to the fourth generation (Exodus 20:5); ordered babies to be smashed and pregnant women to be ripped up (Hosea 13:16) demanded animal and human blood to appease his angry vanity; is partial to one race of people; judged women inferior to men; is the sadist who created a hell to torture unbelievers; created evil (Isaiah 45:7)... sent bears to devour forty-two children who teased a prophet (II Kings 2:23-24); punished people with snakes, dogs, dragons, drunkenness, swords, arrows, axes, fire, famine, and infanticide; and said fathers should eat their sons (Ezekiel 5:10) Is that nice? Would you want to live next door to such a person?...Do you see why I do not respect the biblical message? It is an insulting bag of nonsense. You have every right to torment yourself with such insanity --but leave me out of it."
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone with an open mind and whom sincerely seeks genuine truth.
Truly,
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
This book is easy to read and quite well structured, and the author covers his transition from believer to atheist in a very logical manner. He approaches the topic in multiple ways, sometimes in the form of a dialogue, other times the presentation of relevant historical evidences, his experiences in "coming out", how his life has changed since he became a free thinker, etc. I found it moderately useful, as I am presently making the transition from Christian to agnostic/atheist. As anyone who has gone through this experience knows, it is a very trying, confusing, and mentally anguishing experience. When one begins to question what one has traditionally held to as truth, it can be a very devastating, yet at the same time, exhilarating period in life. I became �born again� when I was 19 and for a few years was very involved in conservative, evangelical groups. I had even considered a career in some form of ministry. My problem, if it can be called such, is that I�ve always been an extremely curious person intellectually. This is what got me into trouble in terms of Christian belief. My love of science, history, politics, and the individual process of logic and reason eventually resulted in a deep questioning of Christian doctrine and belief. I have come to formally reject the traditional claims of Christianity: the virgin birth of Jesus, the supernatural miracles of the Bible, the resurrection, Christ�s ascension into heaven, and his eventual return. This is not something that came about easily or quickly.
I digress: back to the book. What I liked about it was it�s organization and it�s summary style structure. This makes the book good summary, semi-reference material. The chapters are generally short, comprehensible, and enjoyable. It encapsulates many of the reasons why non-believers don�t believe, and offers a biographical human interest story to go along with. The layout is such that one needn�t read it straight through nor require the entire book to even be read. Because of it�s faults I appreciated this quality greatly. Many of the chapters I found quite helpful, others I had no interest in reading.
One fault is it�s tendency to preach. Dan is still an evangelist and this comes through his writing style. I don�t find this helpful. The entire point of being a skeptic and free-thinker is the need to be open-minded, respectful, and appreciative to other�s views. I feel that Dan fails to provide this attitude and his tone can be demeaning at times. He also seems to be on a quest to rid the world of belief in God. I can understand his reasoning but can�t respect this endeavor. There are many individuals whose entire world�s revolve around a religious belief system and if it is questioned would seriously damage their entire lives. It is my opinion that there are many who are simply not strong enough to undertake such a radical paradigm shift, and they need the comfort, structure, meaning, and psychosomatic benefits that religion can provide. An example of Dan�s over-reaching style is his inclusion of his atheist �hymns�. I found this just silly and useless.
It is a good introduction book. It�s historical and philosophical arguments are quite unsophisticated however, and ultimately unsatisfactory. Any true skeptic and free-thinker will need to go significantly beyond this material. For those beginning the journey this book can be useful, for those well into the journey, I recommend skipping this book. This is for the beginner. For all the reasons discussed I give it 3 stars.
For a more thorough undertaking of the philosophical, scientific, and historical aspects of atheism/skepticism, I recommend the following:
Philosphical: Atheism: The Case Against God (can't remember the author)
Scientific: The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
Historical: Jesus, the Brother of James by Robert Eisenman
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2001
Format: Paperback
I've visited and studied many Christian denominations and feel a kinship with the disbelief of Dan Barker, who eagerly and sincerely sought God for years. He tried to keep his faith in God but could not reconcile faith and reason. In the end, reason and common sense won. This should not pose a threat to Christians, some of whom reacted harshly to this book. I was saddened but not surprised by the cracked logic of some of Barker's critics and their propensity for flawed logic and poor writing.
I recommend that both critics and fans of this book read Eric Hoffer's "True Believer." It describes a True Believer mindset, which seeks absolutes that give comfort for insecure people living in a complex world. True Believers do not have to believe in God. They may be Marxists who believe that history is marching inexorably toward an anti-capitalist world in which workers own the means of production and equitably share its benefits. Some hardcore Marxists still cling to this view though there has never been a communist government that offers basic freedoms taken for granted in democracies.
Religious fundamentalists believe in the literal truth of holy scripture, whether it be the Bible, Koran or other religious text (s). This causes an either/or problem: either you believe in it and all of its contradictions and mythology or you don't and lose your soul. The fragile building collapses when science and reason burst this literalist bubble. Therefore, being a doubting Christian is viewed as a threat to salvation. As a result, doubt is not seen as a quest for truth but as the work of the devil. This leads to the blind acceptance of authority.
But it's good to be a doubter. The world is a better place when people think critically and challenge authority, be it religious or secular. This is the central focus of Barker's book.
Fundamentalists seem to think that evolution has to be wrong because it doesn't jive with scripture's account of creation. But more and more Christians are accepting evolution as scientific fact and part of God's plan.
This book is not scholarly. It's not meant to be. Rather, it's a man's quest to seek truth in his life. Both believers and unbelievers can benefit from it.
on August 1, 2006
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I was raised a Christian and underwent a very similar experience to Dan Barker's: I read the whole Bible (skipping some 'begats' of course) and emerged a skeptic. I wish I would have had the Barker book to help me articulate and defend my skepticism. This book would be very useful to skeptics with loved ones who are Christian. Barker is undertanding and respectful of believers at the same time that he exposes the contradictions and atrocities in the Bible most Christians never read. His writing is lucid, logical and illuminated (sometimes humorously) by his personal experiences. This book is a collection of fairly short essays, so you can read it cover to cover or pick out those that most interest you.
on April 30, 2001
Format: Paperback
It's hard to say what I thought of Barker's book. I discovered it hot on the heels of leaving Christianity myself, and it was a great comfort to me in a time when I felt all alone. There certainly is a great deal of good content in there--I particularly liked the autobiographical section and the "Dear Theologian" chapter--but there really are a number of problems as well.
Several reviewers have noted that Barker's essays are superficial and lack scholarship. However, the book is basically a compilation of short essays and was never meant to be more than an overview of the subject matter, so I'm not sure that's a valid complaint. More serious, in my opinion, is Barker's tendency to attack a straw-man version of Christianity. He was a smart Christian for a long time, so he should know better. Take the contradictions section for example. Here he often seems to be reaching--many of the contradictions he cites could be resolved based on little more than semantics. This really is a shame since it's so unnecessary--there are more than enough *real* contradictions out there for the iffy ones to be left off the list. Including bad arguments just serves to reduce the credibility of the good ones.
Barker says he sometimes feels that he's still a preacher, but for the other side. Unfortuately, I think he's taken some of the bad preacher qualities along with the good ones.
I'd be willing to recommend this book to deconverts, but don't read it first and don't read it last. And don't try to use it for "reverse evangelism"--Christians and other religious people would be too offended by the overall tone and occasional bad arguments to consider the valid ones seriously. But if you read it with a few grains of salt handy and the understanding that you probably won't like everything in there, you'll be in for a treat.
Format: Paperback
We love apostates, if they come over to our side. Religious people have a special fondness for those who were doubters and scofflaws and have come to see the light. Because more people belong to religions, it seems sometimes as if there are more conversions to belief; perhaps it is that the converts have a forum from which to boast of the change, too. But there are changes in the other direction, also, which perhaps are less noticed because a change to a minority is better left as a quiet change and not trumpeted to others. It is not Dan Barker's way to keep quiet. Barker was a top-rank fundamentalist minister, in demand for his ability to get converts and renew faith. After years of success, he starting doubting and reconsidering. He went over to the other side, finding that atheism was more to his satisfaction. He wrote _Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist_ (FFRF, Inc.) to explain his position ten years ago, and has continued to speak out for atheism and to debate believers since then.
Barker was called to the ministry when he was fifteen years old. He went to Bible college, was a missionary, and a touring musical evangelist. He wrote Christian musicals, still performed. His credentials as a soul-winning preacher cannot be doubted. It was when he had turned thirty that some questions started coming. There was no revelation, no incident causing revulsion from the church. There was first a tiny step away from literalism. Barker began to allow himself to have dealings with even liberal Christians. He eventually realized: "There is no basis for believing that a God exists, except faith, and faith was not satisfactory to me." He sent a letter to all he knew, to say that he was no longer a Christian. The responses were "everything from friendly curiosity to outright hatred." Many insisted he must be hurt and bitter. His marriage came apart, and he lost many friends, but realized that friendships that can endure only if religions are identical are not very sound friendships after all. He is a social and basically happy person, who did not have trouble finding friends in his new world. His parents both tried to talk him out of it, but came around to his side, instead.
_Losing Faith in Faith_ is not a unified autobiography, but a series of chapters of reminiscences and essays about an atheist's beliefs. It is cheerful and written with a good deal of humor; if you want profound or florid rhetoric on the same subject, Robert Ingersoll is your man, but Barker is quite able to tell a lively illustrative story or poke fun at the way he used to believe. There are essays here on the historicity of Jesus, the nature of the Bible as a moral guide, the possibility of ethical behavior without belief in the supernatural, and various biblical contradictions. Those who have no faith in gods will find an inspiring story and many reasons to cherish their current unbelief. The believers who are bold enough to pick up this volume will, if they are open-minded enough, find a great deal of entertainment, and will enjoy attempting to counter some persuasive arguments from the other side.
on December 1, 1999
Format: Paperback
I have read, enjoyed and reviewed this book. I found it an excellent articulation of the answers to my own questions. The fact that, at the time of this writing, there are 49 reviews of the book, both praising and condemning it, are testament to the fact that my man Dan has struck a chord, that people care about what he has to say, that his message is being heard if not always embraced.
It interests me that those who promote the bible as an alternative to critical thinking believe that one must be a believer to win the right to evaluate the it. This is akin to a lawyer demanding a jury believe in his clients innocence before being impaneled. What we see as absurd in the courtroom some feel it is appropriate in matters of faith.
Several elements leap from Dan's text. First is the difficulty he had in coming to grips with his own doubts. Second, the seriousness with which he undertook a radical rethinking of what was clearly central to his life. Third is an acknowledgment of the very real price he paid in alienation from friends, family and social connections as a result. Finally there is the strength with which he embraces his new convictions.
It is not a book for everyone. Those who do not want their beliefs challenged, who fear they will begin to ask the same questions Dan did, others who do not believe in forgiveness for anyone who accepts reason over faith or who simply don't want to be bothered would not find Losing Faith in Faith to be pleasant reading. The rest of us can read, learn and even embrace what Dan has to say.