4.0 out of 5 stars Awkward FTW!
"Sometimes it's the scary things in life that are the most worthwhile."

Published 22 months ago by Cupcakegirly/Jenuine Cupcakes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected...
Reviewed by Taryn for My Secret Romance Book Reviews

This is a prime example of me judging a book by it's cover. But can you blame me?

WOW...I need this book asap! This cover...it's something else! Seriously HOT!

When I look at the cover, I see:
Heat
Forbidden...
Published 22 months ago by My Secret Romance Book Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Awkward FTW!, October 14, 2012
Cupcakegirly/Jenuine Cupcakes (Completely Outnumbered, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LOSING IT (Kindle Edition)
"Sometimes it's the scary things in life that are the most worthwhile."

Kissing, laughter, drama, and heart racing romantic tension, Losing It has it all! I was so excited to have a chance to read this and enjoyed so much about this story, especially main character, Bliss Edwards. She's spent most of her life "in control" but when she meets Garrick, almost all of her resolve flies out the window. (I can't say I really blame her.) Their first encounter starts out well with witty banter and kisses hot enough to make you forget your name but quickly spirals into awkward leaving them both wondering, "What just happened?" Things go from bad to KILL.ME.NOW when Bliss discovers Garrick is her new teacher. (OhEmGee) If the thought of seeing him every day doesn't do her in, the shame of their secret just might.

When her life begins to imitate the art she loves so much, Bliss will have to decide what's worth holding onto and what she needs to let go of. She learns some tough lessons about love, forgiveness, and friendship while discovering that following your dreams is never easy but the things we want most in life are always worth the risk. Always.

Carmack tells the story of one young woman's struggle to live life the best she can with equal parts humor, heartache and romance. Even if you don't agree with everything these characters are doing, you can't help but admire their genuineness. Bliss is funny, beautiful and sweetly awkward making her completely relateable. Kelsey and Cade (I *hearts* him, btw) are the kind of BFF's who occasionally push the limits but who are always there when you need them. Garrick, with his good looks, brains and talent, is the total package. *swoons*

This story addresses the topics of virginity, sexuality and love and I think Carmack handles these with both sensitivity and maturity. *hi fives her* In a day and age where one-night stands, random hook-ups and "friends with benefits" have become socially acceptable, it's refreshing to read a story where the characters don't take virginity lightly and often go to hilarious lengths to avoid discussing it. (Humane Society anyone?) Sex should be a physical expression of love between two people, and as Bliss learns, it's kinda hard to love someone you just met. (Love, the real, long lasting kind, takes time.) There's also nothing wrong with choosing to save yourself for marriage either. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected..., October 16, 2012
Reviewed by Taryn for My Secret Romance Book Reviews

WOW...I need this book asap! This cover...it's something else! Seriously HOT!

When I look at the cover, I see:
Intensity
Passion
Lust
Deliciously Sinful
Heat
Forbidden Romance

Then I read the blurb, and was like, OH HELL YES! I can't wait to read this book! So I didn't judge too much from the cover...

....but I got none of that.

There is no need to describe the story, the blurb takes care of it completely for me.

I'm neither here nor there with this one. It was an ok story, cute, light and fluffy, but not what I expected at all. What I expected was what I described when I looked at the cover and read the blurb. I didn't connect with the story until about 75% into it. I felt a pull but not enough to really grip me.

I definitely in the minority with this book it seems, so I'm going to explain what didn't work for me.

The relationship between Garrick and Bliss started out one night and then stopped quickly after because he is her professor. Understandable. Their relationship was on and off throughout the semester and not for long periods of time either. When they were back on the final time, an 'I love you' drops.

I'm sorry...what?!

I didn't see it coming! The I love you came out of left field. Is it possible that the I love you's didn't fit for me because I didn't have a strong connection to the characters or the story? Sure. It's possible. But when it was said, I just didn't feel it and it surely wasn't needed, in my opinion.

Bliss, the heroine, is suppose to be this awkward 21 year old virgin in college. I never identified her as being awkward. Not one bit. She seemed like the everyday college student to me, hanging out with friends, going to clubs, crushing on her professors. But was it because she's a virgin in college and freaked right before she was about to loose her virginity? To me that's normal. I just don't see awkward...

What saved this for me was Garrick and Cade. I liked Garrick a lot and his British accent. He's exactly how I pictured on the cover, I just wish he had a little more push to him. Cade was sweet and I connected to him more than anyone and I would have like to see where he ends up.

I have to give this new indie author credit- Her writing is clean with hardly any errors and I did enjoy her style, sadly I just didn't feel it. This doesn't mean I won't read any other books she releases, it's just that this wasn't for me.

If you like lighthearted romances with a slight side of humor then this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Laugh out loud Romance, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Losing It (Paperback)
I honestly did not expect to enjoy this nearly as much as I did. The whole "New Adult" romance concept just did not appeal to me. Yet I kept seeing this particular book popping up amongst others in my circles. Once I read the summary, idle curiosity took over. All I can really say is I am very glad to have given this book a chance!

The concept alone made me smile. I mean, a woman hooks up with a guy just to find out he's her teacher? A bit cliche but also sounded a bit comical based on what I had heard. Yes there is comedy, but there is also a lot more depth than I expected. Yet by no means was this a heavy read. It was quite lighthearted. Her guy ditching excuse has me nearly doubled over! Yet here sweet side and inner personality had me liking her immediately. The realistic setting creates the perfect blend for the theme.

I loved being inside Bliss's head she is so amusing yet endearing and reminds me of one of my closest friends in a lot of ways. She also has some amazing friends and has apparently good taste in guys. The problem is what is a girl to do when he is her TEACHER! College or not, that can equal trouble, yet Garrick and Bliss can't seem to keep away from each other. Throw in your friends and a drama production and hilarity can (and will) ensue! Not to mention how HOT Garrick is! I do not swoon over guys in books easily. His character is swoon worthy!

Cora Carmack writes with a great sense of humor. While the story is mostly down to Earth, the style and flare with which it is told is fantastically amusing. I was either grinning or laughing my way through most of this book! Please note, the humor is not a full comedy. It is subtle, and sweet and wonderful for the most part. I highly recommend it for older teens-adults. It is a quick read, hard to put down and will surely lighten your heart! Cora Carmack is an author to continue reading for sure! Ladies, do not miss this read!

Some favorite quotes:

“It wasn’t until I’d walked halfway across the parking lot that I realized: 1. I wasn’t wearing shoes.
A. Or a shirt.
2. I didn’t bring my keys
A. Or anything really.
3. I’d just left a complete stranger in my apartment.
A. Naked.

Whoever said one-night stands were supposed to be simple with no strings attached had clearly never met the disaster that was me.”

“Oh, I burned it with my straightener.”
“You burned your leg with your straightener? How long is your leg hair?”

“He was flabbergasted. That was the best word. His flabber had been thoroughly gasted.”

3.0 out of 5 stars Review from My Overstuffed Bookshelf, October 19, 2012
This review is from: LOSING IT (Kindle Edition)
I will be honest is saying that I am having a hard time rating this book. I found the characters of Bliss and Garrick to be great, the writing flowed at a good pace, and the supporting cast of characters just as good. I think the only real problems I had was the summary doesn't do the story justice and at times the author tried a little to hard to be funny.

The first part of the book felt forced because the author pushed the funny down the readers throat. Bliss and her sarcastic wit and comments started to get a little too much. Finally, once the story really starts moving and Garrick is introduced as more than a one night stand, it really started to take off. Garrick is one hot professor with a British accent to boot! I will even say that the cover image of him is pretty similar to what I had in my mind when reading about him. YUM! Bliss really does fall for him and you just know that the drama is going to unfold at some point. You can't have a story without the drama.

While there were some great dramatic parts of the book though, the ending was not what I expected. The one thing the two were worried about the most -- and one the reader thinks is going to happen -- doesn't even turn out to be the one thing that does happen. The ending was sort of a let down for me after all the build up. It was sweet and perfect for the couple, but I kept looking for more of a climatic story arc.

Even with all of those things that disappointed me in the story, I still found myself enjoying it. I am interested in the future writing of this author and of her hints of writing spin-off's for the secondary characters of this book. Great for a debut author, but I am hoping she will choose to spread her wings a little more with the drama for the next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Promising premise wasted., January 15, 2013
This review is from: Losing It (Kindle Edition)
The premise of this novel is really promising: A chance encounter that leads to a taboo relationship between a theatre student and her professor. It's a shame that it was wasted on such a poor story about a naive little girl and a man whose only charm was his British accent.

As the title says Losing It is about Bliss Edward's quest to lose her virginity at twenty two and before she graduates from college. She's supposedly held on to it this far because she's a control freak and not at all attracted to all the wannabe actors in her theatre school. The control makes her a good stage manager but it doesn't exactly hinder her acting either, which is just a blatant contradiction. The head of the department points this out to Bliss:

***quote***
"You've always been a bit too in your head, I suppose. Controlled. Careful. Mechanical, might be the best word for it. But in those auditions--you were living in the moment. You were feeling instead of thinking. I saw shades of emotion in you--strength and vulnerability, desire and disgust, hope and shame--that were quite simply captivating. I don't know what you're doing or what you've done, but please continue. You're much better when you make bold choices."
***end quote***

So, we're told in Bliss' narration and with the voice of an authority that she was controlled and careful, but we're never actually shown it. Bliss is way too comfortable in her small group of friends to classify as socially awkward. She is at best a naive little girl who hasn't fully embraced the risks and rewards of being an adult. She's afraid and that fear is what spurs her into drinking herself silly, ignoring a lovely boy flirting with her at the bar, and falling all over a stranger with A BRITISH ACCENT. (I'm just typing as it was in the book.)

Maybe I'm being a little cruel, but from the start Garrick Taylor's defining characteristic is his British accent, and that's really not enough for me. I have this vague impression that Garrick had his sweet moments and that he was patient with Bliss when she was freaking out over nothing, but those possible good guy moments were overshadowed by the lack of chemistry between the couple and the sexist red flags that would have had me and any other woman with a speck common sense run away from him.

Let's not forget the most important part, the great illicit love affair that never was. Garrick is in the know from the start. He knows he's a teacher and he knows he lives in an area close to the school where college students might live. And yet when Bliss confesses living practically next door, he follows her and would have sex with her, if she didn't grab the nearest flimsy excuse and run away from her apartment and the naked boy in her bed.

That's another thing, Kelsey, a supposed friend of Bliss'--what ever happened to her?--repeatedly calls Garrick a boy before they learn that he's their new professor. The cover shows a boy, and I'm supposed to believe Garrick is an adult, a man? Umm, okay?

When the truth about their power dynamics comes out in chapter seven, it's only a momentary disruption. Garrick soon decides it's not enough to keep him away from Bliss. Neither of them really acts like they're doing something they're not supposed to be doing, although Bliss occasionally thinks she shouldn't. There isn't any of that delicious angst of a forbidden love and sexual tension building up between the main couple the blurb promises, and all the emotional stress is reserved for Bliss' relationship with her friend Cade, who is quite unnecessarily in love with her.

It says a lot about the romance when I'm ready to cheer for two other minor characters to win the wishy-washy girl rather than the apparent love interest. In two words: It sucks. This book's only saving grace is that it's not romanticising an abusive psychopath--that's because it hardly romanticises anything--but unfortunately for Carmack that's no longer enough to inflate the rating.

P.S. I really didn't like how the gay character was portrayed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long and drawn out, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Losing It (Kindle Edition)
It was ok. Really nothing to write home about. The characters were annoyingly insipid at time. I didn't feel the romance nor the passion. Sorry but not worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Because We Are All Awkward, October 18, 2012
This review is from: LOSING IT (Kindle Edition)
First, let me say that I picked this book up after a day of reading Beowulf and The Confessions. Both two good books, but so heavy, So, I wanted something light. And I'd read the first chapter of this book online, and thought, hey, this looks cute. And in case it's still not clear, I went into this book with very low expectations--or just the expectation to be mildly entertained. I got much more than that.

I think I might be in love with Carmack's use of awkward situations. Sleeping with a guy you met at a bar in an attempt to lose your virginity, then chickening out when he's naked in your bed. Then attending the first class of your last semester of college and discovering said guy is the new teacher. Yeah, awkward. I honestly wished that more writers wrote about them because they, honest to God, do exist. Life, real life, isn't a smooth sailing of perfection. There are a lot of awkward situations that, I at least, would like to forget. And I think a large part of that is due to the fact the media, of any form, rarely portrays them; which has the effect of making us feel ashamed whenever we do something awkward. And that should not happen. Our awkward moments are apart of personality, and I love how this book embraces that, and Bliss comes to accept it.

Now, the love interest: he's British. Need I say more? He's sweet, but knows what he wants. There's a quote that I love in which Garrick makes a swoon worthy comment to Bliss: "Just because I can't have you now, doesn't mean I'm okay with him having you." "I'm going to pretend you didn't just refer to me like property to be owned." "Can't we own each other?" (Kindle location 1707). Yet, at the same time, he too has his awkward moments. When Garrick and Bliss first meet, he's reading Shakespeare in a bar, waiting for a locksmith to open his apartment. He wasn't trying to pick up girls (as Bliss initially thought), but legitimately reading Shakespeare in a place where he could get a drink. Before he came to Texas, he was in a very awkward situation. He's human. I liked how I could not only relate to Bliss, but her love interest.

There were a few things that bugged me. For one, Bliss' parents seemed to want her to pick up a guy and marry him, so that they knew someone would be taking care of her. Now, maybe I'm ahead of my time, but I feel as if very few parents these days actively encourage their children to hook up with a guy so that they can stop worrying about their child. I mean, it's the parent's job to worry! Perhaps I misread that, but that was how I perceived it.

Also, I wish that Bliss and Kelsey had the real sex talk. Bliss, at first, lied and said she did the deed, and I kept waiting for the moment when Kelsey would find out it was true and they'd have a heart-to-heart conversation. Unfortunately, that never happened, and their biggest argument was about Bliss running out on her at a club.

Overall, a great light read that stays in touch with reality.

2.0 out of 5 stars for the youger crowd, November 17, 2012
This review is from: LOSING IT (Kindle Edition)
If you are out of high school, I would probably not recommend this. This was written for a much younger age group. The story was rather unbelievable. Characters were flat, there was no chemistry or connection that would have led me to believe there was long term potential.

2 stars for the cover...

4.0 out of 5 stars Embrace the awkward!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: LOSING IT (Kindle Edition)
Losing It was such a fun and exciting whirlwind of a ride! From the moment I strapped in to the second I was forced to get off, Losing It had me hooked; I was desperately clinging on for more when I was barely even halfway through--I just didn't want it to end. Losing It definitely packed a hard punch of laughter, a sidekick of toe-curling inducing swoons, and a very heavy arsenal of awkwardness.

Bliss Edwards is a twenty-two year old who's about to graduate from college with her virginity still very intact. Feeling totally lame about that fact, she decides to just go out and find a guy to sleep with. The only problem with the plan is that Bliss is too over analytical; she over thinks everything down to the very core and in doing so, it hinders her. Sometimes. I especially enjoyed Losing It because I loved, loved, loved Bliss. She and I--dude, we cannot be more the same. I completely understood her--her thoughts, her actions, her words; everything she did. The one thing I loved about her the most was her awkwardness; huge kudos to Cora Carmack for perfecting that trait because it made Bliss more likeable and just very relatable. Not only was she awkward and over analytical but she was also high freaking larious. Many times I found myself cracking up like crazy at the things she was thinking about in her head to the things she said out loud. Needless to say, Bliss Edwards is definitely one of my favorite book characters and she totally made Losing It for me.

Now, let's move onto the sexy and handsome, Garrick Taylor. Two words: British accent. I'm pretty positive that added ten--ten billion--points to his sexy meter. He was incredibly swoon-worthy and just so... I can't even. When he and Bliss discover how forbidden their relationship is, it just made him that much more irresistible. I loved how they just couldn't stay away from each other, even though it was crystal clear that their attraction towards one another was more than wrong. The only tidbit that I felt was a smidgen out of place was this pivotal point in their relationship that I felt came too soon. I felt that with their situation, it happened because it felt right for the story but for the characters themselves, I felt like it happened too fast. But it didn't make me absolutely abhor the novel; of course not. I love it crazy and it definitely has a special place in my heart.

Losing It was entertaining and highly enjoyable! Cora Carmack wrote an amazing debut with a little bit of everything that I loved: humor, sexy men, a little seriousness, and awkwardness. I definitely enjoyed her writing--it was light and fun and easy to read which makes me just want to read more from her! Bliss and Garrick's story will leave you sighing with delight and in a crazy daze of ear-to-ear smiles for day because yes, it really is that captivating! If you're a fan of laugh-out-loud laughter, insane butterfly feels in the tummy, and happy endings, Losing It will totally deliver. And then some!

2.0 out of 5 stars Feel short, October 27, 2012
This review is from: LOSING IT (Kindle Edition)
Maybe it got better somewhere, but I couldn't continue it. I actually got a refund for it. To me, it seemed like a repeat of a couple of stories I've already read.

Losing It