Published 19 months ago by Cheryl C. Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Sort of Nice but VERY Incomplete
Published 18 months ago by rush1313

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Look at Historical Locations Around Birmingham, AL, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
This book is a great resource for anyone interested in historical locations and riveting stories about the people and places of Birmingham, AL. Having grown up in Alabama, I was familiar with some of the places so richly described by Ms. Crider, but many were completely unknown to me. I really enjoyed the contrast of the many old photographs of the buildings and locations and then up-to-date photos of what remains of some of them now. I was very pleased to note how many are now under the protection of individuals or historical societies and will, hopefully, be preserved for future generations. The interesting anecdotes from older people who remember the locations in their heyday made the book more complete. My husband and I plan to take a driving tour of the city in the near future to try to see as many of these locations as I can. In future printings, I hope the author will consider adding GPS coordinates for each location. I have already purchased two of these books (one e-book and one paperback) and plan to buy several more as gifts. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sort of Nice but VERY Incomplete, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
I liked some aspects of the book, appreciated the photo of Monkey Island at the Jimmy Morgan Zoo. The big glaring omission is that there is no significant mention of Birmingham's one and only Grand Hotel, the Tutwiler (previously the Dinkler, or Dinkler-Tutwiler). How the tragic and needless destruction of this palatial old hotel could be so IGNORED in a book about great lost landmarks is beyond all reason. There should have been mention of the strange and wonderful Vestavia, as well as Howard College. Strangely, still-existing landmarks such as the Lyric Theatre (currently in the process of restoration) are detailed, while true lost theatres such as the Ritz, Empire, and Pantagones are not mentioned. Hillman Hospital still stands in the midst of the University Medical Center--it is by no means "lost"; however, the original gothic-style St Vincent's Hospital building is nowhere to be seen. The grand department stores Pizitz and Lovemans are also omitted, possibly because there are other historical books devoted to them, so I won't complain about their being left out. Color pictures/photographs would have been most welcome, but I suppose that black/white illustrations make the book cheaper and thus more salable. What IS needed is Volume 2 of "Lost Birmingham" to make a more inclusive history of the "Magic City" which has lost so much of its magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, May 21, 2013
I have been in birmingham for 11 years and this book has inspired me to get out and discover the history surrounding me!

3.0 out of 5 stars yep., September 18, 2014
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
i wish more had been written about historic birmingham and less about the surrounding areas (like the first hotel in blount country? who cares!) the chapter on avondale factories was a little lengthy for me... it would be interesting to know more about jemison and the mountain terrace and ya know, how those houses and cliff and altamont came to be. history of norwood and mountain brook and all that. i would especially be fascinated by a history of Highland. the parks, the homes, the apartments. there are a few photos on the bham public library digital archive but nothing that really tells a deep history. but i suppose those things aren't "lost". just ...a different story.

the lakeview murders, the heaviest corner on earth, and of course the train station were my favorite chapters. really sad that the station is long gone.. oh, i could get depressed if i think about it long enough. the architecture downtown is so amazing. we're lucky some of the buildings are still here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30, 2014
Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful piece of work., December 30, 2013
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
I'm a so-named expert on Birmingham history, but this book taught me a lot. Full of surprises. No local history buf should be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excited about all that I read, September 15, 2013
I was born in Birmingham,went t school and then moved away. It was great to read about a lot of the history of things that I remembered when I was there and in school.I was very sad when they tore down the train station, as a child I always thought of it as a majical place and loved to go thru the tunnel under it.
Was very informative on places that I had forgotten or had not known about. I am still in touch with Cush thru a friends sight that is for Avondale, it was great to know she contributed to the history also.
It is sad tyo me that things that I saw and grew up with is torn down and replaced because these are things lost. This book helps to keep themstill with us today and as long as we have books. Thank you for the walk back in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learned a lot about my hometown and surrounding area!, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
Even though a lot in the book took place a long time before I was born, I had heard of most of the places and thoroughly reading about them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift for grand-son, July 17, 2013
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
I bought this for my Grandson's Birthday. I wanted him to know and understand some of the history of Birmingham. Places that I knew and grew up with in the 40's and 50's that are gone now. If we don't understand the past than how can we know the future. Birmingham was truly a Magic City 50 years ago with great expectations. I hope we have more books coming showing more of the early history, the people, the neighborhoods, the diversity of the town's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Find out how much you don't know about Birmingham., July 2, 2013
This review is from: Lost Birmingham (AL) (Paperback)
I lived there for years, and wondered often about some of the things I've now found detailed in this book. An explanation/history of the "castle" building near Five Points South is just one of many revelations. Get the book. Read it. I'll leave you to it.

Lost Birmingham (AL)
Lost Birmingham (AL) by Beverly Crider (Paperback - April 26, 2013)
$19.99 $15.81