Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season [Blu-ray]
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on January 23, 2012
Why the end of LOST not only worked, but was truthfully the most fitting conclusion the writer's could have given us...

LOST is one of the most important television programs in the history of syndicated story telling. Period. Genre-bending, ground-breaking, budget-busting, gloriously epic both in terms of character development and the scope of it's intricately-woven, mystery-laced narrative, LOST is the most unique television show ever produced. This note is me finally attempting to put down in words what the end of LOST really meant, and why it is the most satisfying ending fans could have ever hoped for.
It has been 1 year and 7 months to the day since LOST ended its six-year run on ABC. During that time-period I have watched the entire show over, and had time to really let my thoughts and feelings sink in. I have moved past the point where I believed the show was perfect in every way, and have achieved a new, and even deeper appreciation for what was done right.
To understand what the end of LOST was really about, we need to understand what the whole show was about. The title `'LOST'' proved to be a loaded one. During the first two seasons of the show we are introduced to the lives of all 14 major characters prior to their crashing on the Island. These first two seasons let us know what the show is focused on: the characters. Each and every one of these characters is geographically lost on this island, yes. However, They are also `'lost'' spiritually, emotionally, and in almost every philosophical way you could think of. Jack is a broken man, eaten up by regret and anger stemming from his complicated and often turbulent relationship with his father. A man who is obsessed with fixing things, controlling every situation, and proving his father's decades old sentiment `'you don't have what it takes'' wrong, Jack becomes the de facto leader of the group. His `'live together, die alone'' mentality would prove to be the true motto of the entire show. This show is about a community of people who must come together in order to survive, or they will all die.
John Locke, a man who has believed his whole life that there has to be something more out there than his dead-end 9-5 jobs, a man who never quite fit in, who never quite felt at home, an orphan in every sense of the word. A man who's longing for a purpose, for a home, for meaning in his life, caused him to fall in love with the Island and to be sensitive to it's true nature, even when the others couldn't see it. John's belief in the power of faith and the role of destiny provided the audience with the first piece of the puzzle as to what this dazzling, sprawling story was really all about.
Kate Austen, a woman who is running from her past. From her relationships, from the police, from her fears and self-loathing. In Kate we find a portrait of a woman who is unable to face herself and move on with her life.
Sayid, a man who was forced to torture people during the gulf war, a man who wants so desperately to believe that there is good in him, but who always ends up believing what others tell him he is, Sayid is a lonely man who never quite grasps that your life is your own to make of it what you will, you are not fated to make the same mistakes in the future by the failures of your past. Sayid is running from his past, instead of facing it, and finding the strength to forgive himself.
Sun and Jin, the love story of the series. Jin, a man who will do anything it takes to take care of his wife, even if it means risking everything. Sun, a woman who struggles to find her own place in the relationship, who tries so hard to understand Jin's actions, yet ultimately loves him regardless of his mistakes. Their story is a testament to married couple's the world over, a lesson in what it really means to love another person, and to put that person's well-being above your own.
Charlie, the washed up rock star with a heroin addiction. Charlie is running from his past, from his rocky relationship with his brother, and with his own self-doubt and resentment for how his life has turned out.
Claire, the young, single mother who fears for her child's safety, and doubts her ability to be a parent.
Hurley, a lovable average guy who has never harmed anyone a day in his life, but believes he is cursed. He is running from his curse, and what he believes is his mental instability.
Sawyer, a man haunted by his past, filled with deep anger and resentment. A man who cons people for a living because deep down he has never been able to trust anyone besides himself.
Michael, Walt, Shannon, Boone, Ben, Juliet, Miles, Faraday, Widmore, Charlotte, Desmond, Penny, the list continues...but the point becomes clear.
LOST is about a community of people from, 5 different continents who are thrown together. Each of them is running from something. Their past, their mistakes, their personal demons, addictions, and afflictions, broken relationships, broken hearts, shattered dreams, and disappointed relatives. These people, who for so long have been running from themselves, have become LOST. When Oceanic 815 crashes on the island, they are forced together, and not only that, they have nowhere to go, they have no place to run from themselves anymore. They are forced to work together, putting aside their racial, cultural, ethnic, differences in order to survive an island that in almost every way imaginable represents a reflection of themselves.
The Island, the most enigmatic character on the show, is both the setting for these characters' redemption, and the catalyst behind that redemption. Mysterious, baffling, miraculous, dangerous, and of indescribable importance, the island is the key to healing these broken characters.
The ultimate theme of LOST is letting go. Letting go of the past, letting go of anger, failures, mistakes, and broken promises. Letting go of heartache, self-doubts, fears, and addictions. Overcoming the past by finding strength in those around you, surviving both physically and emotionally by forming a community. Each of these characters over the course of the six seasons of the show are tested by the island time and time again in a variety of ways both big and small; obvious and subtle. The Island serves as a judge, counselor, and healer to each of these people, helping them shed their hang-ups, realize who they really are, and grow into the people they were always meant to be. THIS is what LOST is about...finding yourself. Making your own destiny by realizing that the power to do the right thing has always been in your hands. Recognizing the strength that we each have, and the inner sense of what is right and what is wrong, and that the ability to decide to do the right thing is ours and ours alone. It is an individual responsibility, and we can't blame the past, or our fathers, mothers, friends, or other relatives for our failures. We alone are to blame, and we alone have the power to forgive ourselves, to let go, and to move on. This is what the show was about.. The mysteries served to test these characters in ways that kept us hooked, kept us entertained, and served to move the plot forward in a fresh, unique way. But the mysteries were only relevant in how they related to these character's journeys of letting go of the past. By the time the 2 and a half hour series finale rolled around, whether or not each and every little question had been answered paled in comparison to the hope that our character's would find the strength to let go of the past and move on. Would they find the redemption the island so desperately attempted to give them? It is in THIS context that ANY discussion of the finale of LOST MUST begin. The show was about the characters, and it ends with the characters. And, how it ends, in my opinion, is untouchable.

Exciting, frustrating, slightly amusing, beautifully nostalgic, heart-breakingly final, and inexplicably fitting, the finale of LOST stands as one of the greatest closing chapters in the history of popular fiction. The characters have been presented to us all of seasons 6 in two different time-lines. A world where the Island is of no consequence because flight 815 never crashed, and a universe in which the first five seasons have built to a shocking show-down between our soon-to-be-redeemed heroes and an evil of unspeakable magnitude. The entire final season had us simultaneously scratching our head and biting our fingernails. By the time episode 121, aptly titled `'The End'' aired, we were emotionally exhausted and, like our characters ready to face the ultimate conclusion of what had been a journey of incredible discovery, and deep sacrifice.
Before I explain how the finale perfectly realizes the theme of letting go of the past in order to move on, I must divulge a few spoilers. Without any big, long-winded exegesis, here it goes: The `'side-ways'' world is simply a limbo of sorts where the souls of the characters went AFTER the events of their lives. The characters were real, they all lived, all crashed on the Island, all experienced the dramatic events of the series, and all, eventually, at different times, and in different places, died. When they died, they all ended up in the same `'limbo-verse'', as it were, and we discover, in the most emotionally-charged turns of events of the entire series, and perhaps in television history, that the purpose behind all of this was so they could remember their lives, let go of the past, and move on to the afterlife together.
On the Island, the evil is defeated, and the ultimate hero sacrifices his life to save those he cares for most. The end, which could not have possibly come more full circle, perfectly reflects the beginning of these character's journeys. In the limbo-verse, our characters were given a final opportunity to deal with any unresolved issues they had at the time of their deaths on Earth. Those who had worked through most of their issues, like Hurley, had significantly better lives in the side-ways world than they ever did during the events we saw of their lives in earlier seasons. But most died with unresolved issues, problems that still needed to be worked out. We see these final issues and obstacles overcome as the characters remember each other, their lives, and the events that have bonded them together into what is now revealed to be a spiritual, as well, as physical community of people. Once each of the characters has remembered their lives, they are free to let go, reunite with the most important people from their lives, and move on. To Where? Someplace where Locke will never need a wheel chair again, somewhere where Kate will never need to worry about being safe ever again. Some place where Sun and Jin will never have to be apart, a place where Sayid would never need to worry about his dark past threatening his happiness. A place where Hurley is loved, accepted, and important. A place where Charlie is clean, free of his depression, and free from the chains that dragged him down during his life on Earth. A place where Desmond will never have to search for Penny, or convince her that he really loves her. A place where Jack knows that his father loves him, and will never have to wonder if he has what it takes. A place where these characters will have found redemption, love, self-assurance, peace, happiness, closure, a future. Free of the past; free from heartache, free from death, a home. A real destiny, a real purpose. A place where they will no longer be LOST.
1616 comments|167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
Well, I'm not gonna debate about the ending of the series, I think it was heavily misunderstood, as a hardcore fan I think it was satisfactory, "what happened happened" and we get to FINALLY see Jack doing what we were waiting for, the faith of most of the characters was satisfactory (with a few exceptions) and we got most answers, not all, which I think was a good move from the writers.

Certainly my problem is with the whole season's flash-sideways, which after seeing the season finale, seems pointless and a little bit of a joke, I wish the season had been way shorter or that we got less flashes and more Island. Also even tough we get a lot of answers, some of them are shown in a very simple or even boring way, the final 4 or 5 episodes are gold, the others, seem like filler to me.

Now, there are no complaints for the Bluray edition of this season, the picture and sound quality it's superb, I tought I was gonna have a hard time watching the episodes which I didn't enjoy on TV, but the Bluray experience certainly makes them worth watching again. There are cool extras included here, the usual behind the scenes, spoofs and cast interview's stuff and "making of" of the season, but best of all, there is an epilogue included here, on the "The New Man In Charge" we get to see some of the after-finale timeline, and in a very clever way we are given more answers, more than I expected actually, it was so awesome to watch, I wish they had made more epilogues, but this one's just 'Lost' gold.

Even if you didn't like this season or the ending, I think it's worth getting to complete your collection, and specially because of the Epilogue.
on November 18, 2013
Fair warning up front there will be spoilers in the review so if you have not seen it, proceed at your own risk.

Lost started out as a series about a group of castaways stuck on a mysterious island. Throughout the 6 seasons it veered off in a lot of different directions. The final season was really about telling the backstory of the island, and revealing the fates of the characters. I think your level of enjoyment of the last season will really depend on what you think of the story of the island and the big reveal at the end.

In this season we finally get to see Jacob and we learn who and what the smoke monster is. The monster takes Locke's form and Terry O'Quinn plays a great bad guy for really most of the 16 episodes. We are also shown flash sideways which shows an alternate timeline for the characters. It is based on the premise that the plane does not crash (that detonating the bomb at the end of season 5 worked), but we find that the characters do not exactly go back to their old lives. That things have changed significantly. It also provides the opportunity for bringing back some of the characters that had been previously killed off. That story is shown concurrently with the bomb not working and everyone still being stuck on the island.

The ending is really open to interpretation. We find out that the sideways world was not real but a kind of limbo, hence Desmond waking everyone up. In the end we learn that everyone has died and is meeting again in the sideways world. We do not know however if they died in the initial crash, if all the events on the island really played out as we saw, or if the plane really makes it off the island in the final shot of the show. That they did is hinted at when Jack's father says that everyone died at different times, but we do not really know how the survivors went on to live out the rest of their lives. I think those are all interesting questions that they leave up to the viewers.

The hallmark of the series was really the wonderful acting and the character development. If you look back from season 1 to the end at the "main" characters, those who were around until the end really did change and evolve. Given that it was such an ensemble cast that was almost necessary for the series to do well.

As far as the actual discs go for those who buy them as opposed to steaming, there is quite a bit of bonus material (although not as much as prior seasons). You still have the season play option so you can stop and pick up where you left off. And of course the A/V quality is great.

Overall I think the series was excellent. Although it did take some weird turns here and there, I think the fact that it was so well acted and did try to give the viewers some kind of payoff on all the stories they had going some of that could be overlooked. You do have to accept that the show does not wrap everything up in a tidy little bow however. I never watched the show when it was on the air, but I know a lot of people who did got really frustrated with it for going off on all the tangents. I think those are easier to take when you can watch it on dvd and see it progress watching the episodes back to back without the long breaks. Things flow better that way and you can see how they were at least attempting to fit things together.

I do think 6 seasons (albeit the final three being only partial seasons) was the perfect length for this kind of show. While some may have preferred a "cleaner" ending with a straight they get off the island and live happily every after, it was fairly clear from about season 2 on that was not going to be the case. It is not a perfect show, but it was still very ground breaking and original and definitely one of the better dramas of its time.
on February 19, 2013
This show was one of the best on tv for 6 years. All the twists and turns and all the questions you wanted answered was not solved. You had more questions than you had answers. It was really a weak ending. A good season but it ended flat. This svd is good to have if you loved the show and want the end to the collection. It could have been so much better.
on August 21, 2012
Really this is like a soap opera but with an ending. On and on it went. Where it stops nobody knows. Except we do know. Unless Ben says he is lying again. I mean they staged an airplane crash so who knows. Seriously, people sleeping around and falling in love and then so and so dying etc. Everyone has been kidnapped at least once. Kate sleeps around. Sawyer sleeps around but his real name is James. Almost everyone on this island has commited a crime before coming to the island. I mean what are the chances of that many criminals on one plane? You have a con artist, a couple murderers, a drug addict, Korean mafia dude, Thieves with diamonds, kidnappers, ex-torurer,a rebel from uganda,a cop who is a murderer, and I am sure I am missing something else. But overall it was entertaining. I kept telling my husband I couldn't wait for it to be over. Just like a soap opera but with a light at the end of the tunnel. I was so thankful for it to be over. In a good way. Like the end of an addiction. I would reccomend this if you just want to be lost in front of the tv. It's a well structured story and good acting. Annoying though because it takes 6 seasons to find out anything hardcore. I think Richard's story was much revealing. Anyways 5 stars for laying the story out. They really put a lot of planning into it.
on December 7, 2014
This was simply a very lame ending to a very long show. It was trite, unimaginative, and unfortunate--after watching season six, I simply feel that the writers were struggling to wrap up loose ends and tie everything together rather than continuing what had been a very compelling narrative. And in doing so, they took the easy way out in a lot of ways, but especially with the "they're dead already" ending that not only left about a zillion questions unanswered, but that also violated much of the narrative's previous flow. I'd go into more detail, but that's been given already in the thousands of words written in these reviews, so it really would serve no purpose. But here's the rub: if you've made it to season six, you're going to watch it no matter what anyone says, so as to not have wasted the time you spent watching the previous five seasons. Just be prepared for a season in which the writers are more focused on filling in blanks and explaining things away than they are in continuing a narrative or even developing characters. This season, and especially the finale, were definitely a huge let-down. And life goes on.
on May 31, 2013
There's nothing more to say than what others have repeated themselves. The only way to explain how I feel is what happens to some popular great shows in their second years. Sophomore slumps they call it. I believe Lost went through that a little bit in season 2 but I feel like it had more of a slump in the final year because they honestly didn't know how to end it. And not because they were making it up as they went along. I seriously don't believe that but because of the Pressure from fans and critics alike. That must have some weight on their shoulders that it completely affected their writing. The final season just dragged and was filled with flash centric stuff that we had a good handle on already. It was nothing really new. And instead of focusing on the current cast and going out with a bang, they were introducing more Other like characters and weird nonsense. The Sideways was interesting at first but I absolutely hated the cop out religious motif ending. I didn't think it was genius or amazing. It was cliche and boring. There was so much potential to end the show the way it began. With a big bang. Instead, it kind of whimpers to an end. And don't get me started on the cliff-hanger as to what happens to Kate, Sawyer, Claire, etc. They leave that hanging open. Some of the answers that were given were very ambiguous. And I'm okay with that but with everything else, it just kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I would have been okay with Season 5 being the last season.
on March 27, 2014
It takes some doing to keep the plot straight, but it's worth the mental challenge. Characters remain interesting.It's been a joy to get attached to them and the ending is uplifting and satisfying. This is one of televisions finest moments.
on May 29, 2012
**Spoilers of the final scene**
This finale was amazing. It tied up the loose ends that were the most important, and let others to the imagination. I honestly can't think a satisfactory explanation for many of the questions brought up throughout the six seasons, and no answer is better than a crappy one. As for the ending itself I've run into so many people saying, "I called it all along, the island was purgatory"...NO IT WAS NOT. The sideways flashes are purgatory, but I repeat the island and everything that happened on it was NOT. If that's what you thought about the finale then you clearly didn't understand it, and I implore you to watch season 6 again (or at least just the finale). Christian Shepard says during the finale, "'Yea I'm real. You're real, everything that's every happened to you is real. All those people in the church, they're all real too' and 'There is no now in this place. Some of them died before you and others long after you.'"

Lost, as much as people may think otherwise, was 100% about character development. Yes at the end of each week we had new questions and were intrigued by the lore of the island, but in the end it was all about how the characters effected each others lives and how they were intertwined with each other. This was the perfect ending, and it was epitomized by what Christian Shepard says, "This is a place that you all made together so that you could find one another...The most important part of your life was the time that you spend with these people. That's why all of you are here. Nobody does it alone Jack. You needed all of them, and they needed you."
on March 18, 2012
The writers promised that although not all questions about the island, the others, the Man in Black, etc. might not get answered, the final wrap-up of the series was about the CHARACTERS. And they delivered on this premise. I found Season 6 of "Lost" to be both harrowing and ultimately rewarding. It's impossible for me to watch without getting choked up about a dozen times. My only disappointment was in the fate of John Locke. He deserved better. But the evolution of Jack Shepard's character more than makes up for this.
Oh. And the little bonus episode "New Man in Charge" ties up another loose end that was rather annoying to me, since it dealt with a character who was being built up and then seemingly dropped almost completely. I won't spoil it for anyone who doesn't have this DVD set yet.