Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lost Dog! (Choose Your Own Adventure - Dragonlarks)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 31, 2012
My daughter (6years old) can read most of the words in the CYOA Lost Dog book. It was her first ever CYOA Book, with that being said I sat down to read it with her & to explain how CYOA books work. It is now her favorite book and takes it everywhere we go :)
I recommend this book to Every Parent and Grandparent and Favorite Aunt who would like to create a WOW experience with children. My grandchildren love this book and ask to have it read over and over again, It is more than a story, it is an adventure.

It is interactive, helps instill a love for books;
It is an adventure, their eyes will pop wide open, they will giggle and laugh.
It is a book with 10 possible endings and the children make choices then move on depending on the choice THEY make,
When reading to multiple children I let them take turns choosing

A book about a boy, his lost dog, and his sister, both boys and girls love this book.

Homer is your dog , he is lost and you need to find him.
On page 5 at the bottom of the page you make your first choice;
( Will you go to the local radio station and have them report your lost dog(turn to page 7) if you chose this then on Page 9 you choose again Will Jessica do the talking (turn to page 18) or will you do the talking (turn to page 24)

OR will you go look by the fort in the woods (go to Page 10)? if you chose this option you find Schooner a bully at the fort and on page 14 you choose again will you stay and face Schooner with Homer's help, (turn to Page 35). OR will you keep running, (turn to page 38).

There are 10 possible endings and multiple scenarios depending on your choices,

The book is 75 pages long but each story can be read in about 15 minutes, however it will take longer because at each choose page you will be interrupted with oohs and oh no's and what should I do's
on October 22, 2012
Was looking for books that would help my 6 year old son be more interested in reading. This was a book that kept his attention because of his way he could choose different paths to the story ending. Great for a 1st grader.
We picked these up after our 5 year old found a traditional CYOA book at a thrift store. It was really too complicated to her and then a friend recommended this (as well as Your Very Own Robot and The Haunted House). The level is perfect for both our 3 and 5 year olds and they are having so much fun with all three books! Definitely recommend for younger children!
 Interactive fiction has been popular for decades. I remember reading interactive stories in the 1970s, when they were text-based in printed books or magazines. For example, if you selected the "Leave the room" choice, you were told to turn to a certain page number and continue reading. Later, with computers came text games like "Zork," where you gave simple commands, and the software responded with the outcome. In more recent years, the stories added color graphics to make them more enjoyable for kids to play.

Lost Dog! is a fun introduction to interactive fiction for youngsters. In the story, your dog Homer has disappeared and no one at home knows his whereabouts. You grab your sister and go looking for him. As you read the story, there are branching points where you have to make a decision. As a result, there are a number of paths through the story. Don't worry, you'll find Homer, although some paths lead to him more quickly than others, and unlike interactive fiction for older kids and grownups, there are no monsters lurking around the corner waiting to get you. The colorful cartoon-like graphics are nicely done, and most youngsters should enjoy the "choose your own adventure" format of the story. Because of the multiple storylines and outcomes, the book can be reread several times without getting boring or repetitive.

I've read several complex text-only interactive fiction novels, and I enjoyed them very much with their numerous possible outcomes, but younger kids wouldn't enjoy these, and some of them have adult themes anyway. "Lost Dog!," however, is clearly aimed at kids, and it's an ideal way to introduce them in a fun way to graphical interactive stories.
on July 16, 2015
When I was a little girl we used to read these wide eyed until we reach the ending! Unsatisfied, I'd start all over again and do another story, and another story, until I've exhausted all possibilities. Sometimes, my sister would accuse me that I peek at the endings. Lol. That was 30 years ago. Now I bought it for my 6 year old son hoping he will catch the fervor I had for these books, I never wanted to put these books down!
on March 1, 2015
I love the original Edward Packard books and I love the whole idea of the Choose Your Own Adventure books, but I really don't like RA Montgomery's books, especially these for the younger kids. Now I LOVE that they made them for the younger kids, but I just can't get into his writing. I just don't care for his style much, the continuation when you choose different ways to go is not always consistent, the endings are often disappointing or anticlimactic. A for effort and I'm going to keep reading them to my son just so he can be exposed to this type of book, but they could definitely be done better.
on October 25, 2015
My six year old grandson loved it! He reads at an emerging 2nd grade/strong 1st grade level. He was so excited to get it! I read these stories as a child myself, its quite exciting to see another generation enjoying them too!
on January 1, 2014
We just introduced my 9 year old to Choose Your Own Adventure Books. So, I was so glad when I found this book for my 6 year old. Now she can also read Choose Your Own Adventure! Love it!
on February 11, 2013
I bought this for my grandson because his mother loved Choose Your Own Adventure books when she was young. It is great!